Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chard posted:

If anything, it makes it worse, because it seems like you still aren't getting why it's not a sensible thing to do. Also I think it's a little weird that you seem to deliberately not capitalize Muslim and Islamic, but maybe that's a stretch.

thats real dumb nitpicking, or are you gonna tsk tsk at someone for not capitalizing christian or jewish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also, punching nazis is cool and good and the fact anyone thinks it isn't is dumb as heck

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

First of all, gently caress you, Gorrell. Also, it bothers me more than it should that the knob label would only be horizontal in a position it couldn't reach, as opposed to 12:00 or the minimum setting.

Finally, gently caress you, Gorrell

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

thats real dumb nitpicking, or are you gonna tsk tsk at someone for not capitalizing christian or jewish

When a guy decides to sub in a religious group for a hate group in his violent fantasies, every little touch of disdain adds to the flavour.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Someone (a few someones) already mentioned it, but: You can't debate the fascists because they aren't beholden to the same rules.

They're appealing to emotion, and emotion does not give a single flying gently caress about logic or truth or reality. You can't out-debate a feeling, especially one that validates/justifies a lovely world view.

It's the same reason Trump won; It doesn't matter that he's completely full of poo poo, he pressed the right buttons to make people feel good about themselves and absolve them of any personal blame, and that outweighed any objective reality.
"Trump is right, I'm NOT a racist piece of poo poo, the drat PC homogay/BLM/Mexican Muslim libs are just trying to keep me down! :bahgawd:"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I said it was a stretch, but given the context I thought it was worth pointing out.

Somfin posted:

When a guy decides to sub in a religious group for a hate group in his violent fantasies, every little touch of disdain adds to the flavour.

yah

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

the_steve posted:

Someone (a few someones) already mentioned it, but: You can't debate the fascists because they aren't beholden to the same rules.

They're appealing to emotion, and emotion does not give a single flying gently caress about logic or truth or reality. You can't out-debate a feeling, especially one that validates/justifies a lovely world view.

It's the same reason Trump won; It doesn't matter that he's completely full of poo poo, he pressed the right buttons to make people feel good about themselves and absolve them of any personal blame, and that outweighed any objective reality.
"Trump is right, I'm NOT a racist piece of poo poo, the drat PC homogay/BLM/Mexican Muslim libs are just trying to keep me down! :bahgawd:"

Cool, so why isn't everyone out punching Trump voters, Anti-Vaxers, and anyone else who falls into the same category of "unreasonable fuckhead you can't debate with"? Is like a third of this board actually Ted Rall?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Emasculator posted:

Cool, so why isn't everyone out punching Trump voters, Anti-Vaxers, and anyone else who falls into the same category of "unreasonable fuckhead you can't debate with"? Is like a third of this board actually Ted Rall?

Because, idiot, as much as we disagree with those people they are not openly and actively calling for the genocide of other races*. Their intractability is beyond annoying and this election is going to royally gently caress up the country for probably the rest of our lives (hello Supreme Court!), but they pass that test.

*Venn diagrams with actual Nazis aside.

e: like how many times does this need to be explained???

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Emasculator posted:

The point isn't that Muslims and Nazis are interchangeable, the point is that the chain of self-justification is basically identical.

It's not identical because they aren't basing their "chain of self-justification" on facts or reality. The only way the "justification" works is if all Muslims are actually Nazis, and they clearly aren't.

Their thought process also includes accepting that up is down when Trump tells them it is. What they think is insane and irrelevant.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

the_steve posted:

If this is the case, then we're perma hosed, because in elections, what we lefties think doesn't matter, and what the hard right think doesn't matter, those two groups are set in stone. What matters is the swing voters in battleground states think. And when they saw that video, they overwhelmingly thought "Hey, the not-nazis resorted to violence? Doesn't help their case, maybe that guy and his friends have a point." And then the voters in Florida and Pennsylvania and Michigan vote for the nazis again because they didn't resort to violence to win debates.

Democracy apparently cannot survive if swing voters think punching nazis is bad.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kerning Chameleon posted:

If this is the case, then we're perma hosed, because in elections, what we lefties think doesn't matter, and what the hard right think doesn't matter, those two groups are set in stone. What matters is the swing voters in battleground states think. And when they saw that video, they overwhelmingly thought "Hey, the not-nazis resorted to violence? Doesn't help their case, maybe that guy and his friends have a point." And then the voters in Florida and Pennsylvania and Michigan vote for the nazis again because they didn't resort to violence to win debates.

Democracy apparently cannot survive if swing voters think punching nazis is bad.

That is... entirely wrong.

Like, I can't see a single sentence in here that isn't wrong in some way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

When I say "punching a nazi is good", I don't mean we should pass laws legalizing violence if the target's opinions fit certain criteria, I mean that if someone's willing to risk jail in in order to punch a nazi they are doing the world a service.

If you're in a position to change laws or policies, yes it's true, I don't think you can tailor that stuff precisely enough to only target nazis once filtered through the entire system of government, police, courts etc. But if you're just a citizen on the street and you see someone who is definitely a nazi and you want to punch them even though that's legally assault, I applaud rather than scold you for doing so.

itskage posted:

Some simple word swapping:
And you sound just as deplorable as the deplorables.
As other people have been pointing out, you can't swap out another group for 'nazi' like that, because (as the entire reason we're talking about this) nazism is inherently hostile and unable to coexist with other ideologies.

Emasculator posted:

The point isn't that Muslims and Nazis are interchangeable, the point is that the chain of self-justification is basically identical.

Fascists would happily use the state (even bluntly and imprecisely) to enforce their violence, that's what makes them fascist. I'm just giving an approving thumbs-up to a dude who punched a dude who deserved it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Political Cartoons 2017: The worse part about punching a Nazi is the argument afterwards

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The fact that I picked Muslims (there I right clicked it) is superfluous. I don't even know why it's relevant unless you're just trying to nit pick at everything I say instead of listening to my argument. My only point is one group is advocating violence against another group which is the exact thing everyone saying is what makes Nazi's so bad. Sure genocide is way worse than a punch in the face. But I don't think anyone would disagree that a Nazi would say something like "you see someone who is definitely [ethnic group] and you want to punch them even though that's legally assault, I applaud rather than scold you for doing so". I just can't get on board with random acts of violence. Like I said where do you draw the line?

You know secretly he loves drawing Obama and will be sad when he won't have as many excuses.

itskage fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 24, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Still can't bring himself to draw Trump, huh?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hey can you fuckers shut up and stop sapping the joy out of a Nazi getting punched in the face?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Stantallie, for gently caress's sake, decide if your comic is going to use allegory, nameswapping, or direct commentary and stick with it instead of choosing a different answer for every bloody person and event!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

itskage posted:

The fact that I picked Muslims (there I right clicked it) is superfluous. I don't even know why it's relevant unless you're just trying to nit pick at everything I say instead of listening to my argument. My only point is one group is advocating violence against another group which is the exact thing everyone saying is what makes Nazi's so bad. Sure genocide is way worse than a punch in the face. But I don't think anyone would disagree that a Nazi would say something like "you see someone who is definitely [ethnic group] and you want to punch them even though that's legally assault, I applaud rather than scold you for doing so". I just can't get on board with random acts of violence. Like I said where do you draw the line?

You know secretly he loves drawing Obama and will be sad when he won't have as many excuses.

The "groups" aren't picked randomly you nitwit. We hate Nazis because they believe in and actively work towards genocide.

The line is hard to pin down. I agree. Nazis are unambiguously on the wrong side of the line.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 24, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

itskage posted:

When the group in question is openly and inherently advocating genocide. This is not that loving difficult. The line is really loving clear.

Does Islam openly and inherently advocate genocide? No.

Do Christians openly and inherently advocate genocide? No.

Do Nazis openly and inherently advocate genocide? Yes.

Jesus.

Also, let's see here.

itskage posted:

the exact thing everyone saying is what makes Nazi's so bad

No no, see, violence isn't the loving thing, it's the part where they think entire ethnic, racial and religious groups shouldn't loving exist. They cannot abide the existence of other races in non-slave roles.

In order to be a Nazi you need to believe this.

E: Also, quick ad-hominem centre mass shot here, capitalisation is not that loving hard, stop pretending treating a major religion with the same respect you give the goddamned Nazis is a burden.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 24, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nazis want [insert any of multiple groups here] to be wiped out of our country (and work towards using the force of government to accomplish this). I am slightly happier when a nazi is punched in the face (but note that we shouldn't try to make a law enabling it). Clearly, I have become that which I desire to fight.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

And now for the part with the deranged monarch who beheads everyone.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Somfin posted:

E: Also, quick ad-hominem centre mass shot here, capitalisation is not that loving hard, stop pretending treating a major religion with the same respect you give the goddamned Nazis is a burden.

Okay gently caress off, I'm done.

Beaten by grammar Nazis.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey I'm a bit behind on things, where did "Alternative Facts" come from?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My understanding of the position put forth (many claiming that it is obvious) is that by virtue of the danger of their beliefs it is not only OK but laudable to punch Nazis. I'm not sure why this reasoning stops at sucker punches. What level of force is morally just and what level of force is wrong?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

In his first appearance as White House Press Secretary, Sean Spicer lied adamantly about Trump's inauguration and claimed it was the biggest ever, "period". People ripped into this and provided proof he was wrong. Later, in an interview, KelleyAnne Conway tried defending him and, after having her bullshit shot down repeatedly, tried to claim that Spicer was just presenting "alternative facts". This, as you might expect, merely made things worse.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/kellyanne-conway-spicer-gave-alternative-facts-860234819559

We're all dead

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Trump's press secretary said a bunch of the kind of complete bullshit we should expect nonstop for the next few years at least, and then some communications lady in an interview afterwards said he was saying "alternative facts".

Edit: these are not just some TV talking heads these are some of Trump's top people, waging a war on the very concept of being right or wrong about things. If they keep up this pace it will be the end of America as we know it not in several years like I thought, but in a couple of months.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 24, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

tried to claim that Spicer was just presenting "alternative facts".

There are no .gifs that can accurately display my feelings on this.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe has been drawing a lot of Trumps for the Australian Financial Review:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There are no .gifs that can accurately display my feelings on this.

Between this whole thing and stuff like Trump declaring his inauguration day a national holiday or something, Trump and his team seem to have gone full tinpot dictator. It's crazy.

Also I wonder if we'll get any cartoons about what I linked there. I almost missed out on it entirely; it snuck under the radar in light of, well, everything else.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ramirez, Obama is gone now, maybe draw something relating to our current pissbaby president?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Did this thread seriously debate "punching nazi: good or bad?" for like four pages?

Jamaica:

Jamaicans still don't like Hillary... for some reason.

So now that Trump is president and a less tolerant, more nationalist feeling is gripping the world, Clovis feels emboldened to comment on homosexuality!

It's a common myth in Jamaica that homosexuals commit lots of violent crimes. Haven't seen this kind of thing since Clovis got in trouble for that Christmas cartoon a few years ago.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seeing the common theme of Trump Does His Necktie Like A Seven Year Old among all the British and Australian cartoonists is completely good + brilliant and I am pleased by it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roland Jones posted:

In his first appearance as White House Press Secretary, Sean Spicer lied adamantly about Trump's inauguration and claimed it was the biggest ever, "period". People ripped into this and provided proof he was wrong.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trump's press secretary said a bunch of the kind of complete bullshit we should expect nonstop for the next few years at least

I'm just happy that Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf has found new work, even if he had to change his name to Sean Spicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

KillerJunglist posted:

Did this thread seriously debate "punching nazi: good or bad?" for like four pages?

Only because we didn't resort to pointless little ad-hominem body-shots sooner, apparently.

• Locked thread