Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

TwingeCrag posted:

I played this game about a year and a half ago and had a generally cordial time punching things as Captain America. Has it improved much since then? And how difficult is it to get new characters without dropping megabux?

If the last time you played was casually dabbling 18 months ago then there is plenty of new stuff to see. The character updates in particular have been great all around and there aren't nearly so many garbage tier characters in the game.

Getting new characters free is pretty easy if you play consistently, especially as a newer player where you can just buy cheap random hero boxes and have a high chance of getting a character you don't own. If you have your heart set on absolutely playing specific favorites though then you will have to either be patient or be willing to drop some bucks.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Toshimo posted:

I prestiged this morning and had 0 issues. Get on my level.

OK well I'm still stick there with no quest so good gaz

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The game is nothing but five-to-eight-seconds cooldowns now. On everyone. It's preposterous.

Why is the design philosophy behind this update "Make it so everything takes longer to accomplish?"

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The game is nothing but five-to-eight-seconds cooldowns now. On everyone. It's preposterous.

Why is the design philosophy behind this update "Make it so everything takes longer to accomplish?"

because then they dont need to make content

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Welcome to the near industry wide design consensus that blizzard is largely responsible for pushing. Enjoy your stay.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mover posted:

MeLoki Hybrid Summoner/Enchanter Guide

Oh yeah. This is the good stuff!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

NecroMonster posted:

Welcome to the near industry wide design consensus that blizzard is largely responsible for pushing. Enjoy your stay.
Blizzard at least has set items or trait choices or legendaries that work around largely eliminating said cooldowns in D3 now though. Industry's as slow as the gameplay they think people like now.

In MH news, additions I played today:
Fun tier
Black Panther

Didn't pass the Cosmic trial but I probably just need to git gud tier
Hawkeye

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
How does Cable play with a controller?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
There are a lot of trait interactions in MH that also refresh or bypass cooldowns. It should come as a surprise to nobody that Gaz doesn't execute as well as Blizzard though.

I will gladly take the current paradigm of skills designed around a mix of both resource consumption and cooldowns over going back to every character running off a mana/spirit pool.

"This is my sorceress and she just casts frozen orb because that's her best spell and she has infinite mana" is not a world that I particularly want to go back to.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress this update i'll start playing again when they give us an enhanced nazi cap costume

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

NotALizardman posted:

gently caress this update i'll start playing again when they give us an enhanced nazi cap costume

Oh Future Fight already did this. Cheers.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Oh Future Fight already did this. Cheers.

i t2ed him bc of that. and upgraded his nazi uniform once already.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I AM THE MOON posted:

i t2ed him bc of that. and upgraded his nazi uniform once already.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrianWilly posted:

I played Spider-Man this afternoon. I never ran out of buttons to press and I never stopped moving. It was cool and good. Have you thought about not being bad at vidya?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Alt-Vapors

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOZb8O97D9I

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
I tried this game out a hella long time ago (like, two years ago) - tried out Colossus before I got overwhelmed at all the poo poo dropping and the legendaries and cosmics and craft items and loot crates and the tiny storage space and :psyduck: Saw this thread and jumped back in to try it out, and I still have no idea what's going on - I can gain health faster than I lose it by punching guys in the face, and I can spawn/summon dudes when I punch to help me punch more, though, which is awesome! Still have no loving idea what the gently caress is with crafting and enchanting and whatever else - is that something I need to worry about in the future? I've kept all the runes and crafting items I've found, but I'm a klepto and my stash box has maybe two spots left. Also, I'm level 48 or something but Hightown only unlocks at 60, and I want to finish Colossus before I switch heroes or whatever - is there somewhere I should go to grind or should I do some of those legendary quest things?

Oh, and could someone add me to Groot Squad? My user name is JaymeSilver - thanks!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

all your posts are alt-good

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions for my technical issues yesterday, but the solution turned out to be embarassingly low-tech: after trying everything else, I bought some compressed air and cleaned out my CPU & GPU fans. Game has run without issue for 4 hours straight. :sweatdrop:

Oh well - lesson learned for next time!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jayme posted:

I tried this game out a hella long time ago (like, two years ago) - tried out Colossus before I got overwhelmed at all the poo poo dropping and the legendaries and cosmics and craft items and loot crates and the tiny storage space and :psyduck: Saw this thread and jumped back in to try it out, and I still have no idea what's going on - I can gain health faster than I lose it by punching guys in the face, and I can spawn/summon dudes when I punch to help me punch more, though, which is awesome! Still have no loving idea what the gently caress is with crafting and enchanting and whatever else - is that something I need to worry about in the future? I've kept all the runes and crafting items I've found, but I'm a klepto and my stash box has maybe two spots left. Also, I'm level 48 or something but Hightown only unlocks at 60, and I want to finish Colossus before I switch heroes or whatever - is there somewhere I should go to grind or should I do some of those legendary quest things?

Oh, and could someone add me to Groot Squad? My user name is JaymeSilver - thanks!
Generally don't worry too much about runes unless they have an icon when they're off the screen. Idiots like myself who have multiple stashes have hundreds that go unused. Crafting is mostly a max level thing, although while the holiday event is going on you should dump any Lanterns or Lunar Dragons you pick up into the Crafter's Donate slot - this levels them and increases the range of recipes you can use, and event drops like that tend to be unusually valuable. You need at most one stack of the essences/filaments, but if you're itching for space they drop at a higher frequency at max level anyway and are only used in any large quantity when you're min-maxing end-game gear.

Finish off any Story missions you have that don't offer a Story Reward Box - those are the best places for xp at the moment (ones with a box are basically no xp and take forever to do). If you're out then any Legendary Quest for a Terminal is your best bang for buck, then any other Legendary Quest. Also, if you have Story quests and you're finding it too easy you can pump the difficulty up to Red when you're using the waypoint and that'll give you more xp in general.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions for my technical issues yesterday, but the solution turned out to be embarassingly low-tech: after trying everything else, I bought some compressed air and cleaned out my CPU & GPU fans. Game has run without issue for 4 hours straight. :sweatdrop:

Oh well - lesson learned for next time!

Dust bunnies big enough to be actual bunnies.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten about some of the insane buff/boon stacking from when I actively played last. I guess they never got wiped out?

Between those and synergy bonuses I got Loki from 1-20 just doing the raft and the police station event. This is kind of hilariously dumb, which is perfect because it's Marvel Heroes.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Generally don't worry too much about runes unless they have an icon when they're off the screen. Idiots like myself who have multiple stashes have hundreds that go unused. Crafting is mostly a max level thing, although while the holiday event is going on you should dump any Lanterns or Lunar Dragons you pick up into the Crafter's Donate slot - this levels them and increases the range of recipes you can use, and event drops like that tend to be unusually valuable. You need at most one stack of the essences/filaments, but if you're itching for space they drop at a higher frequency at max level anyway and are only used in any large quantity when you're min-maxing end-game gear.

Finish off any Story missions you have that don't offer a Story Reward Box - those are the best places for xp at the moment (ones with a box are basically no xp and take forever to do). If you're out then any Legendary Quest for a Terminal is your best bang for buck, then any other Legendary Quest. Also, if you have Story quests and you're finding it too easy you can pump the difficulty up to Red when you're using the waypoint and that'll give you more xp in general.

Awesome - just what I needed to know!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tortolia posted:

I had forgotten about some of the insane buff/boon stacking from when I actively played last. I guess they never got wiped out?

Between those and synergy bonuses I got Loki from 1-20 just doing the raft and the police station event. This is kind of hilariously dumb, which is perfect because it's Marvel Heroes.

When prestiging I would generally get to about level 8 or 9 on the Raft from synergy alone. Boosted would be higher, but I'd never boost for a non-cosmic.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tortolia posted:

I just played the game yesterday for the first time in months and got Captain Marvel from 1-60 by like chapter 3.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I played a little last night, spent like an hour trying to sort crates and login poo poo and god knows what else in my inventory and then played a little bit of ultron, I think I got to 21-22 by like, shocker. I should really 60 the six+ chars or so I've unlocked through event logins since I last played so I can get more sweet xp bonus.

Oh also I tried to play black cat for a minute and it was miserable. I barely made it through the raft before swapping.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Maybe nobody knows this yet but is there any reason to hang onto old hero specific uniques? Are the new replacement items going to make all current uniques worthless?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Ideally yes they will be more attractive to use than uniques, but using uniques to farm more difficult content for those items later on will be the way to go. So as long as you have decent gear on the heroes you want to play you should be fine.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

When prestiging I would generally get to about level 8 or 9 on the Raft from synergy alone. Boosted would be higher, but I'd never boost for a non-cosmic.

Yeah, I have a bunch of synergy as well (Cyclops included of course), those were just all boosters from when I last played regularly.

Also when looking to pick a level 1 character I already owned to learn the new systems, I had almost no choices available (just Loki and Hawkeye) because at some point I remember there was some sort of event/super fast way to level characters to like 30ish just through a handful of training room runs. It looks like I did that for a good ten characters or so so I'd have the l25 synergy bonuses as options.

Getting back into this I do appreciate how the account as a whole just grows and facilitates this kind of advancement over time.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 24, 2017

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Daveski posted:

I just played the game yesterday for the first time in months and got Captain Marvel from 1-60 by like chapter 3.

I'm completely new, so I'll ask the dumb question: How? I finished the story (well up to the quest to go to Hightown? -- game won't let me) and only got up to 49.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Good news all, Taskmaster's actually fun as hell if you build him the stupidest way on paper (all CD powers, Iron Fist stance thing) and throw all the +attributes items on him.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I tried to play again, but I'm running into the same issue I had before when I played this game After about an hour, my computer locks, the screen turns white or some other colors, and the horrific buzzing sound comes out of my speakers. It's only one of two games (the other being Borderlands 2) that do this, no matter what settings I have the game at, every other game I play is fine, and my computer runs pretty well at all other times.

I did hear something about a console release, and I might be getting a PS4 relatively soon.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Taskmaster...throw all the +attributes items on him.

Are there any other heroes that scale with every stat? I wonder what the highest amount of total stats you can get on him is.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Nechronic posted:

Are there any other heroes that scale with every stat? I wonder what the highest amount of total stats you can get on him is.

If you steal taskmaster's passive on Rogue, she switches from dur/fight to all stats. just those two though

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gaussian posted:

I'm completely new, so I'll ask the dumb question: How? I finished the story (well up to the quest to go to Hightown? -- game won't let me) and only got up to 49.

He probably has 200% hero exp synergy or at least a much higher amount than you do. Possibly also buffs

Orv
May 4, 2011
Could I get an invite on Orv, thanks.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mover posted:

If you steal taskmaster's passive on Rogue, she switches from dur/fight to all stats. just those two though
Which is a MASSIVE trap because some of the best +all uniques are TM's own.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gaussian posted:

Outside of specific bonus XP synergies (Cyclops), you get account-wide permanent bonus XP for every hero you level to 60. This stacks with any other XP buffs/boosters you might have running.

Even a few heroes at 60 provide a substantial permanent boost to leveling speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Nechronic posted:

I think on the TC some pubbie kept popping the level 60 potions forever and in that system it capped out at 200 per attribute in the infinity system. Which would mean that in order to first get there, you would need around at least 30000 infinity points. There is also a very good chance that attributes are 8 bit addresses because that would be the gaziest thing ever.