Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why does the DS4 have such a lovely battery? It's kind of strange how bad it is in comparison to the other ones out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Why does the DS4 have such a lovely battery? It's kind of strange how bad it is in comparison to the other ones out there.

This may sound odd but have you tried turning the light down to dim and maybe disabling the speaker?

I've had my DS since launch and I've literally never had it run out of batteries unless I forget to unplug it, even during long-rear end sessions, but I did both those things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

This makes me less excited, that's a long rear end session to commit to. Im sure there will be plenty of regular Souls summoning people to help me if I need it. Really glad about multiple options though.

Its really not that long. I think he's kinda overstating it. Its more like just Garden up to Sif, although I guess Basin was really short anyways.

The level in the last beta was basically like Garden. The last beta was basically No Man's Warf and Forest of Fallen Giants, slightly smaller than FoFG even.

Its a good long run but its not insanely long or anything, since you don't really have to stop or back-track. Its a fast shot through where you're both killing and rezzing each other so you never stop. And if you do fail, you just start right over at the beginning :)

Plus if you fail, you keep all the loot you got, plus you keep 25% of the XP you earned. You don't lose everything in that mode when you wipe, but there's no bloodstains.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ImpAtom posted:

This may sound odd but have you tried turning the light down to dim and maybe disabling the speaker?

I've had my DS since launch and I've literally never had it run out of batteries unless I forget to unplug it, even during long-rear end sessions, but I did both those things.

You can lower the light on it? I'll do that. I've never run out of batteries, but I definitely notice the difference between it and my bone. I'd say I get 5 or 6 hours from the DS4 and over 30 from the bone.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The speaker doesn't get used that much but when it does its pretty neat so I don't see the point in disabling it. Can't use that much power.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I pulled the trigger on Gravity Rush 2. I don't usually buy games full price, but I absolutely loved Gravity Rush to death and I really want to support cool IPs like this. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint!

So far the only negative is that it has way too many lovely stealth missions and the camera can be a bit problematic at times. Everything else is an incredible step up from the original.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really not that long. I think he's kinda overstating it. Its more like just Garden up to Sif, although I guess Basin was really short anyways.

The level in the last beta was basically like Garden. The last beta was basically No Man's Warf and Forest of Fallen Giants, slightly smaller than FoFG even.

Its a good long run but its not insanely long or anything, since you don't really have to stop or back-track. Its a fast shot through where you're both killing and rezzing each other so you never stop. And if you do fail, you just start right over at the beginning :)

Plus if you fail, you keep all the loot you got, plus you keep 25% of the XP you earned. You don't lose everything in that mode when you wipe, but there's no bloodstains.

Cool. Am I understanding that you get infinite tries to get to your bloodstain. But once you get it you can lose it again immediately?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Considering finally getting a ps4 for FFXV and P5 and I noticed the slim bundle seems to go for around 270 on amazon. Is this generally as cheap as it gets?

I dont really have all too much interest in Uncharted but if that's the best deal I'll go with it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SylvainMustach posted:

Considering finally getting a ps4 for FFXV and P5 and I noticed the slim bundle seems to go for around 270 on amazon. Is this generally as cheap as it gets?

I dont really have all too much interest in Uncharted but if that's the best deal I'll go with it.

Uncharted is the best exclusive on the system.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Waltzing Along posted:

Not saying it looks bad, but if it's cheaper without it I'd go for that. I know 270 is a great deal I'm just a cheap guy.

Also, how are people's experiences with refurbished ones?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Waltzing Along posted:

I would humbly suggest Bloodborne is the best game released this generation so far.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Spite posted:

I would humbly suggest Bloodborne is the best game released this generation so far.

This is a correct opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're both good and anyone getting a ps4 should at least look into them

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SylvainMustach posted:

Not saying it looks bad, but if it's cheaper without it I'd go for that. I know 270 is a great deal I'm just a cheap guy.

Also, how are people's experiences with refurbished ones?

Amazon warehouse has them for $226.95 and they have a good rep w/refurbished consoles. I got mine w/o UC:4 so it was slightly cheaper as I've never played any UC games before. As for new PS4 unless there's a promo it won't go below $250.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Kadath posted:

Ive been having several different games crash fairly regularly for the last two months or so. Games have been both downloads and on disk.

The ps4 is an original I got new in mid 2014. I rebuilt the database and replaced the hard drive with a new 1tb and reinstalled the games manually, transferring save data only. I also made sure the side vents were clear of dust.

I'm still getting the same crashes (a mix of ce-34878-0 and "corrupt data" errors). I can run blu rays and netflix for hours without a single crash, the issue is only for games.Research has shown the errors are very generic and don't appear to be related to any single fix as far as I can tell.

Without any further troubleshooting ability to check individual components I'd have to guess the issue is on the main system board and related to heat or a failing component. The ps4 is in a well ventilated location and I haven't heard any excessive fan noise.

In short, am I looking at getting a new ps4?

To me it sounds like it could be a failing hard drive/bad sectors. I'd swap it out with a new one and see if it gets any better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

Cool. Am I understanding that you get infinite tries to get to your bloodstain. But once you get it you can lose it again immediately?

If you're playing in the co-op mission together party mode there are no bloodstains. They don't exist. if you both die, mission over. If one of you dies, the other rezzes you. No bloodstain.

If you're playing solo or summoning dark souls style phantoms, you drop a bloodstain when you die, and if you die on the way to your bloodstain its gone forever (AND you don't drop a new one! but after that you do again.)

Just read the Nioh thread OP :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

You can lower the light on it? I'll do that. I've never run out of batteries, but I definitely notice the difference between it and my bone. I'd say I get 5 or 6 hours from the DS4 and over 30 from the bone.

Yeah, it's in the controller menu on the system itself. You can set the light to dim

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's in the controller menu on the system itself. You can set the light to dim

just for clarification's sake, you can hold the home button on your controller to bring up the quick menu and go to sound/devices for the controller options

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Speaking of controller features, what are some people's favorite uses of the speaker and lights. I liked how in Mad Max during the final mission you can hear ghostly voices through it. I like how in Rise of the Tomb raider the light changes colour depending on the light source lara is using.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wandle Cax posted:

Speaking of controller features, what are some people's favorite uses of the speaker and lights. I liked how in Mad Max during the final mission you can hear ghostly voices through it. I like how in Rise of the Tomb raider the light changes colour depending on the light source lara is using.

The talking sword in Transistor can be routed through the controller. I thought it was a really neat idea, but had to switch it back to TV as it made its dialog noticeably harder to understand.

Infamous Second Son uses the speaker to do a dead-on impression of a shaken spray can.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

Easily and without question it is in Alien: Isolation where the controller starts squeaking like the motion detector. It's terrifying and pitch perfect and draws you into a state of panic immediately.

Unrelated, but Gravity Rush 2 has so far proved absolutely worth the price. It's clearly aiming to be on a wholly new level to its predecessor.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

I tried the demo of The Playroom and I didn't realize there was a speaker on the controller so that was interesting for a few min. Then I realized I'd rather just use my headphones since it sounds muffled :v:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah the controllers audio quality is too poo poo for voice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Works pretty good for the sirens in GTA5.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

SAVE THE LAST HUMANS

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Until Dawn does cool stuff with sound and motion and is probably my favourite of it. the spraypainting in First Light is pretty awesome too though

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wish you could just turn off that lovely light. It reflects off my TV screen and it's really annoying.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I wish you could just turn off that lovely light. It reflects off my TV screen and it's really annoying.

some people just tape over it. there were covers you could buy that were kinda popular for a while that had designs like Batman or whatever.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

Bloodborne is far and way the "best" game on the ps4 but for as much love and praise as goons heap on it, I don't think it's a game for everyone which is why I'd recommend Uncharted 4 ahead of it.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah the controllers audio quality is too poo poo for voice

Although, TLOU used it for playing back tape recordings, and I thought that was great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

every path can unlock a truth but there are like 24 stories and 4 truths, so you have to find the right ones to get the truths you don't already have. I'd guess he found one truth and either didn't realise it or just meant it took him forever to find a path that got him the second one and got confused. either way, you definitely can't play through the game once without finding a truth.
Oooh so that's how it works. I thought there was only one path in every row that would unlock the truths and I got exceptionally lucky. In retrospect, given the nature of those truths, I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense.

cubicle gangster posted:

while it's nearly impossible to tell because if you hold the button down he keeps attacking anyway, if you do time your presses he does different attacks and stronger ones
whahaaat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ramagamma posted:

Bloodborne is far and way the "best" game on the ps4 but for as much love and praise as goons heap on it, I don't think it's a game for everyone which is why I'd recommend Uncharted 4 ahead of it.

Uncharted 4 is definitely not for everyone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's for more people than BB which is why it is the best on the system.

There really isn't much argument that those are the two best exclusives. If one is more accessible then more people would enjoy it hence, the better game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one game being more accessible doesn't make it better, but either way you should look into both if you have a ps4 because they're good games. maybe they won't be for you but watching a video or reading some reviews wouldn't hurt anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's for more people than BB which is why it is the best on the system.

There really isn't much argument that those are the two best exclusives. If one is more accessible then more people would enjoy it hence, the better game.

I disagree? You have to be really invested in the story or really love clunky third person shooters which is definitely not true for everyone.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If Uncharted 4 had about 4 hours of the down time (lots of climbing and super easy puzzle solving) cut off of it so there was less time between the explosive crazy bad rear end action times, I'd almost consider it a masterpiece. I loved it. It just overstayed its welcome with the 'nothing is happening' parts of the levels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

those parts were good imo and gave the characters time to interact

what they took from tlou made uncharted a better game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, Target has Yakuza 0 for the exorbitant price of $59AU.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

those parts were good imo and gave the characters time to interact

what they took from tlou made uncharted a better game

I agree, the more deliberate pacing and emphasis on stealth was an improvement compared to the previous iterations. It gave more room for the characters to grow and interact, and it curbed that "Tombs of War" feeling that made the previous games a bit tedious for me to play.

I just like the beautiful setpieces, the climbing and the campy story, no need to shove battalions of mercs down my throat every 2 minutes in fear that I'll get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean no game is for everyone but Uncharted 4 is the closest the ps4 has. If you disagree then fair enough but I'd like to hear a better suggestion.