Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Adiabatic posted:

yeah but then wed have to have dj commie as a moderator

whatever :regd07: spam your way to the top!

I'd sticky my own archived threads and gas everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DJ Commie posted:

The admins should run a script that makes anyone in AI with more than 10,000 AI posts a moderator. There's be 3 of us like the old days. Remember Toilet Duck?

I would be in this list or at least close to it so quantity is not a good measure

Basically any postcount I have is from here since yosposts don't increase post count

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Appreciate it. I know some people don't give a poo poo but this thread has been an excellent sounding board.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

Appreciate it. I know some people don't give a poo poo but this thread has been an excellent sounding board.

We're a community, and we do take care of our own*. If you want someone to talk to, feel free to reach out.

* I may or may not have forced posters not black enough and Contraband to drink malt liquor whilst underage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

❤❤❤

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

What a weird tradition, but obviously nothing to call out the Trumpster for I guess.

I think its the wording of it.

"National Day of Patriotic Devotion" sounds like it would be a national holiday in the DPRK, during which citizens found to not be devoting themselves to patriotism enthusiastically enough would be rounded up and sent off to work camps or shot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

As DJ said, we look out for each other. Keep sounding off esp if it helps

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

You have my Facebook contact info if you want to talk. I'll shoot my # over to you for SMS/voice too.

Been through sadbrains - never a murder, but been through a couple of suicides via intentional OD (I think 3 now), one of them live via webcam. No matter the cause, it's never fun to deal with death.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

heck yeah

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DJ Commie posted:

I may or may not have forced posters not black enough and Contraband to drink malt liquor whilst underage.

:ohdear:

You MONSTER!

You could at least have forced them to drink something tasty.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah but I've never seen a drink with a better advert than this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgpdoGKDTqM

it's fake but still... :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

You owe it to yourself to at least watch Day of the Doctor and Heaven Sent if you haven't already, easily the peak of their respective Doctors. Time of the Doctor is a nice follow-up to the former, too, and a great capstone on Eleven's run.

The show completely changed gears once Moffat took over (he's the one who wrote Blink if you weren't aware).

Yeah, Moffat's stuff is better. There were moments in Davies stories, but then he'd go off into the weeds for a bit.

Rhyno posted:

So I went to get some groceries earlier today and I swore to god that I saw her. And it took me a couple beats to realize it was not her and to remember that she was dead. That shook me up pretty bad, I flagged an employee over, explained I had to leave and apologized for the items in my cart and went to my car where I cried for a bit.

I guess I was fooling myself when I said I was gonna be fine from here on out.

Oh, geeze, that's rough.
You're talking about it, and that helps. Keep talking - we're listening, even if we don't say anything. It's cool.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

What am I looking at? Heck yeah nonetheless.

Darchangel posted:

I'm going to try this, but first I have to a convert fromto moon units, and b) either get a scale or convert to volume. I think my wife has a dough hook for here KitchenAid, so I dn't need to knead (heh.)

FTFY.

Also, get a digital kitchen scale. They're dirt cheap, and for powders or stuff with varying grain sizes (salt) you'll have yooooge variations in actual amount of ingredient; these are all precisely 1 kg of flour:

(One sifted, one poured, one bumped on table repeatedly.)

These are all precisely one liter of flour:

Let me know how it goes for you, PM me if you want advice specific to your kitchen equipment. :)

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

You owe it to yourself to at least watch Day of the Doctor and Heaven Sent if you haven't already, easily the peak of their respective Doctors. Time of the Doctor is a nice follow-up to the former, too, and a great capstone on Eleven's run.

The show completely changed gears once Moffat took over (he's the one who wrote Blink if you weren't aware).
Yes, I was, I've liked some of Moffat's other stuff, but at that point the show had just been killed for me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I recall the US uses cups as a measurement in cooking. How is that any less dumb than y'know, a weight measurement? I have a million cups in my kitchen, all varying sizes so which is a cup cup?

*edit: cup is a volume measurement? loving stupid :allears:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I recall the US uses cups as a measurement in cooking. How is that any less dumb than y'know, a weight measurement? I have a million cups in my kitchen, all varying sizes so which is a cup cup?

*edit: cup is a volume measurement? loving stupid :allears:

It's a defined size, not a drinking mug.

Even if you are just using a random container, it shouldn't matter so long as you use the same container throughout the process - it's all relative?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sure, as long as you measure something with a neatly defined density, not something like flour.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cooking using mass as the measure of how much of everything you're putting in always struck me as most logical.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, Moffat's stuff is better. There were moments in Davies stories, but then he'd go off into the weeds for a bit.

It's still utterly unwatchable dreck. The only thing Dr Who has going for it is it's a perfect hatewatch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

meltie posted:

It's a defined size, not a drinking mug.

Even if you are just using a random container, it shouldn't matter so long as you use the same container throughout the process - it's all relative?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sure, as long as you measure something with a neatly defined density, not something like flour.

^^ see the photos above with flour in the same size container which made me research about cup measuring. Liquids? Yeah great. Cats? also fine...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's still utterly unwatchable dreck. The only thing Dr Who has going for it is it's a perfect hatewatch.

Dr Who is real bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dr Who is real bad.

It is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Thinking about real bad, how about that court decision about Brexit? That's thrown some cats amongst pidgeons!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Brexiters:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My super brexit coworker is livid yet still can't articulate exactly why he voted for leave in the first place

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well it's quite hard to say "I loving wish all vaguely brown people and Muslims would die" without sounding like you're prejudiced so I'm not surprised.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I give a poo poo, and I know a lot of others around here do as well. I know I don't talk much generally but AI is full of good cunts who genuinely want to help others when they''re going through the hard poo poo mate so sound off as you need to.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Layoffs are coming next week, and according to my boss, the 31st and 1st are going to be "very rough days".

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I heard a piece on npr yesterday about Holland of all places becoming anti-muslim immigration.

They worry about conservative religious persons not fitting in with their established liberal values. That's an interesting spin, I thought.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

angryrobots posted:

They worry about conservative religious persons not fitting in with their established liberal values. That's an interesting spin, I thought.

To be fair in Holland you can legally bang hookers and do a whole cornucopia of drugs mere streets away from each other.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Layoffs are coming next week, and according to my boss, the 31st and 1st are going to be "very rough days".

:ohdear: hoping you'll pull through, alternatively get a helluva severance package and quickly get a new job if you do get the boot. Sometimes it can be a blessing in disguise. Economy is looking decent right now, so it should be possible to find something new if need be.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Trying to race a Pontiac Aztek around the Nordschleife in Forza Motorsport 6, this thing is really hard to do a clean lap with. I've of course upgraded it to the max but it still handles like poo poo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

im reading a good book right this moment that may become next months botm

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

loving around with graphite and grafana trying to make a kickass monitoring system at work. Also debating which Makita cordless thingie to get next.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

Taboo, the BBC TV series with Tom Hardy as a man who returns to Britain after twelve years in Africa, right around end of the war with the United States. Good stuff, and it's only on its third episode, so you can get in from the start :)

Jonathan Pryce is amazing (as always) as the chairman of the East India Company.

E: Recommended because I love gritty historical fiction, and this is about as gritty as it gets (without the ridiculous sex+violence excesses of HBO).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 24, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Do I spy a dry sump pulley and pump on it? No idea what it is otherwise but yay engines.

KozmoNaut posted:

:glomp: good luck

Adiabatic posted:

The little bit of time I get to work on the race car I enjoy immensely even if it isn't enough to really accomplish anything. Witcher 3 has also been a pretty good time waster and is very effective at making me forget about the car I should be working on.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fretting and worrying about things and not being able to sleep?

I'd like to know how Moffat can write such horrific storylines for Dr Who, yet turn around and smash it out of the park while simultaneously mind loving you with "Sherlock"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

I'm playing the Witcher 3 on PC, which is straight up dead good. Wasn't sure if I'd get into it but I bought it on recommendation and I'm already 35 hours in. Televisually I've mostly been watching British comedy quiz shows.

Ferremit posted:

I'd like to know how Moffat can write such horrific storylines for Dr Who, yet turn around and smash it out of the park while simultaneously mind loving you with "Sherlock"
I think it helps that he and Gatiss are mostly just adapting the classic stories. The end of the special last year was more pure Moffat and Gatiss and it was garbage from what I remember.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 24, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Trying to race a Pontiac Aztek around the Nordschleife in Forza Motorsport 6, this thing is really hard to do a clean lap with. I've of course upgraded it to the max but it still handles like poo poo.

lern2suspension settings n00b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lern2suspension settings n00b

One thing I rather liked about Gran Turismo is the Japanese special editions of 4, 5, and 6 came with a guidebook that had a lot of stuff about the cars, the game and racing in general, but also had entry level guides to driving theory and customization, including suspension setups.

• Locked thread