Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't remember, was there even an explanation for why there's an 'ur' before gold? I mean, it's probably piss poor but was there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's dwarven?

The capes all look really static too, like they've just been draped on the people.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's not actual gold it's bits of grimnir (née gotrek) they get high off of

sigmarine armour is not ur-gold anyway. it's sigmarite. :downs:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

I can't remember, was there even an explanation for why there's an 'ur' before gold? I mean, it's probably piss poor but was there?
Fluff-wise, ur-gold is like the fragments of the fyredorfs' dead god, Grimnir from WHFB. Apparently he died at some point? In reality, it's done to add a false sense of gravitas to the whole thing because it's a new setting and there's no better way to do that that add useless prefixes and adjectives all over the place.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Saint Drogo posted:

Basicall ur-gold is poppers for the gay bear dwarves, that they take before dousing themselves in lubricant, and entering a mosh pit to the sound of pounding techno

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Safety Factor posted:

Fluff-wise, ur-gold is like the fragments of the fyredorfs' dead god, Grimnir from WHFB. Apparently he died at some point? In reality, it's done to add a false sense of gravitas to the whole thing because it's a new setting and there's no better way to do that that add useless prefixes and adjectives all over the place.
Are you sure it isn't so they could trademark Ur-gold?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I think the writer should go gently caress ur-self

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Irate Tree posted:

The sad thing too is that, their spiel has them as the scouts of the army and that they have "less bulky armour" than the others. How are they? It's the exact same armour, you just gave them larger capes and some poo poo on the front!

They left the mask of

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Irate Tree posted:

You know, i have an easier time picturing the repeater crossbow from Vermintide working over this thing. Like, it's pretty loving clear that very little, if any thought, was put into the look of those pistol things. It just looks like they took a pistol from any place and strapped a bow to it.

Just like the new Inquisitor model!

To be fair, she's literally armed with a pistol that has a bow strapped to it. They have separate functions, and would function in the real world.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Maybe an Sigmar summoned a million bolt-crossbow-repeater-pistols because they couldn't find one at the time, and the sigmarines are just using them because they were lying around

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The crossbow pistol discussion reminded me of the vaulters from Endless Legend, whose crossbows look like assault rifles:

Only in that case it works because their ancestor crashed onto the fantasy planet in a spaceship and of course they're trying to look like the mighty warriors of old.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
tacticool harpoon gun is pretty rad

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Also, they look like they could actually work. The strings are even visible on one!

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Bingo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Have they actually bothered to do this? How many of the new names have they trademarked, anyway?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe an Sigmar summoned a million bolt-crossbow-repeater-pistols because they couldn't find one at the time, and the sigmarines are just using them because they were lying around

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I found out I get mildly upset when people use the stupid aos names unironically

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You only discovered this today?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There are people who use the AoS names unironically?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There are people who use the AoS names unironically?

Those people who play AoS.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone who has the sheer lack of self-awareness that is required to unironically utter the word "Bloodsecrator" really needs to be committed to an institution.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drone posted:

Anyone who has the sheer lack of self-awareness that is required to unironically utter the word "Bloodsecrator" really needs to be committed to an institution.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

The crossbow pistol discussion reminded me of the vaulters from Endless Legend, whose crossbows look like assault rifles:

Only in that case it works because their ancestor crashed onto the fantasy planet in a spaceship and of course they're trying to look like the mighty warriors of old.
a minis game with Amplitude designed models would be cool. admittedly i just want cravers in a tabletop game

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Did GW actually completely stop localizing their product names? I know for 40k and WHFB there were quite a few things that were translated from English into the local market languages -- definitely not everything, but some (here in Germany, a Space Marine Librarian is a Scriptor, or a Dreadnought is a Cybot, and iirc a lot of Tau vehicles were translated). I ask because I just checked the GW website in Germany to see if they actually bothered translating lovely loving names like Bloodsecrators or Bloodbloods or whatever into other languages, and the answer is nope.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Joe_Richter posted:

Also, they look like they could actually work. The strings are even visible on one!

It is ruining my narrative !

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Drone posted:

Did GW actually completely stop localizing their product names? I know for 40k and WHFB there were quite a few things that were translated from English into the local market languages -- definitely not everything, but some (here in Germany, a Space Marine Librarian is a Scriptor, or a Dreadnought is a Cybot, and iirc a lot of Tau vehicles were translated). I ask because I just checked the GW website in Germany to see if they actually bothered translating lovely loving names like Bloodsecrators or Bloodbloods or whatever into other languages, and the answer is nope.

You'd think that German would make it more enticing to string together unwieldy compound nouns, not less :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Have they actually bothered to do this? How many of the new names have they trademarked, anyway?

I dunno about in the UK.

In the US, we have a convenient online search tool for finding trademarks, both current and expired! http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4804:1kod9t.1.1

For example, there are two entries registered in the US for "WARHAMMER AGE OF SIGMAR" broadly covering computer games and other digital content, printed matter, and (non-computer) games.

I'm not sure why they needed two, which appear to be identical, but I'm not an expert on the vagaries of registering trademarks.

Notably, "SIGMAR" by itself is already trademarked for use in children's books and jigsaw puzzles by some Argentinian company.

I searched for "STORMCAST ETERNAL" and got no relevant results. "STORMCAST" on its own produces a handful of dead trademarks for weather forecasting products. I also get no results for "BLOODBOUND," "AELF," or "ORRUK" so at that point I gave up. I don't believe GW has bothered to trademark most of their nonsense words, at least in the US. Nor should they, since registering a trademark is expensive, and you have to maintain that registration with annual fees.

Since they're not registered trademarks, anyone can name their products STORMCAST AELF ETERNAL BLOODSECUTORS in the US. However, there are still some fair trade protections: if you tried to sell products with the intent of making them confusingly similar to GW's products, you would very quickly get successfully sued. In general it's illegal to try to gain the benefit of a competitor's product design, packaging, naming, etc. - even aside from trademarks.

As a caveat to that, however, to the extent to which some design detail or name is in the public domain - that is, has been used before, or is derived from prior art/use, anyone gets to use it. So for example, GW successfully sued Chapterhouse on the basis that their models have big pouldrons and big pouldrons are part of the design aesthetic unique to their product lines. On the other hand, they explicitly lost a lawsuit claim to the idea and name of "space marines" because power-armored space troopers called "space marines" were around before GW ever used them, have been used by many different authors in written fiction, and are just part of the general genre of space fantasy.

GW's takeaway from the Chapterhouse suit and other lawsuits has been that by using brand new names for their dudes, there's no "prior art" and therefore no way for a competitor to claim that their Orruks, Aelfs, and Bloodsecutors are just based on that prior art rather than blatant ripoffs of GW's poo poo.

Sooo.... yeah. GW does gain some IP protection by using unique names for everything. That protection is thin, though. They are on much better ground when they have original ideas rather than original names, because... why the gently caress would a competitor want to call their elves Aelves? They can still make and sell the poo poo out of a bunch of space elves, space orcs, space marines, etc. for you to use in your warhammer games and there's dick all GW can do about it. GW's entire IP is derivative of prior art. There are precious few actually original concepts. Their visual aesthetics are in a few cases somewhat distinctive - those big loving pouldrons on every goddamn thing, maybe the eldar aesthetic, maybe the logos for some of their chapters and chaos factions? If you tried to sell a product setting of the far future with an immortal but basically dead god-emperor, four chaos gods of decay, carnage, sex, and trickery, a realm of chaos that impinges on the mortal world from psychic activity, etc. etc. you'd be too strongly similar to warhammer 40k and be easily sued. Taken in totality, GW's IP is protectable. But in its constituent parts, it mostly isn't, and putting unique names on things doesn't change that.

The names are also idiotic. That's really the biggest issue. "Orruks" and "ogors" and so on, it's loving embarrassing. If they gave them more evocative names that a normal, socially well-adjusted person could say out loud without blushing, that would be a big improvement.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Irate Tree posted:

It's a real life mystic thing. Ur was one of the very first cities in recorded human history so Ur-"object" tends to be used to denote its status as a primal or original form.

So Fyreslayers collect Ur-Gold because they are the Ur-Vomit Encrusted Tiny Bears.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tangentially, some hilariously specific things from GW games - subterranean ratmen ruled by a council of 13, Chaos in general and the eight pointed star as its symbol - are lifted directly from other settings and a copyright free for all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's a real life mystic thing. Ur was one of the very first cities in recorded human history so Ur-"object" tends to be used to denote its status as a primal or original form.

So Fyreslayers collect Ur-Gold because they are the Ur-Vomit Encrusted Tiny Bears.

Also the cities of ancient Sumer are the ones that built Ziggurats, ever a favourite thing of fantasy fans, and the one in the ruins of Ur is quite well preserved thanks to Saddam Hussein

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

a minis game with Amplitude designed models would be cool. admittedly i just want cravers in a tabletop game
You're not wrong. I'd be so down for that, their designs are always great. Just imagine busting out an army of Horatios. :allears:

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
If they wanted to reboot WHFB and get away from a high entry cost why not just ape the rules from LOTR they were excellent.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Safety Factor posted:

You're not wrong. I'd be so down for that, their designs are always great. Just imagine busting out an army of Horatios. :allears:

Make it a skirmish dugeon crawler thing with a premise like Frostgrave. Loot Endless stuff in either fantasy or scifi. Gather Dust to fuel magic and buy new stuff. Become the most beatiful Horatio.

Now i rellay want that game.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Saint Drogo posted:

It's also probably not even bits of grimnir, but instead bits of slannesh that they have been misled into snorting. The only person who knows the truth is Sigmar and in a dickish move he's not telling them the truth.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

I found out I get mildly upset when people use the stupid aos names unironically

loving...

IKR!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Fun game: Find a serious AoS battle report on youtube that uses all the lingo and see how long you can make it.

Come to think of it, it's not actually fun at all

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

Make it a skirmish dugeon crawler thing with a premise like Frostgrave. Loot Endless stuff in either fantasy or scifi. Gather Dust to fuel magic and buy new stuff. Become the most beatiful Horatio.

Now i rellay want that game.
Dungeon of the Endless: The Board Game

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I have a staff member who got into painting and playing 40K by her husband and she has a cool looking eldar army that is like harlequins or something I haven't played since 5th that she enjoys stomping smelly warhams who don't think women can play. Anyway, I don't know how I should or even have the heart to break the coming Sigmaring of her game. Maybe I'll just show some pics of Infinity figs.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

potentiallycool posted:

If they wanted to reboot WHFB and get away from a high entry cost why not just ape the rules from LOTR they were excellent.

One of these days ill finish my lotr conversion featuring the nigmo rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

potentiallycool posted:

This is actually what I thought they where going to do before the actual rules came out as you're right; the LotR skirmish rules are actually pretty good and massively better than what they actually came out with.

• Locked thread