Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I'm in chapter 2 and I have to ask- do these drop ships ever loving stop? I can't go 30 seconds without having to fight a bunch of assholes while I'm running around the wilderness trying to find a shiny rock for some other rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ankle posted:

I'm in chapter 2 and I have to ask- do these drop ships ever loving stop? I can't go 30 seconds without having to fight a bunch of assholes while I'm running around the wilderness trying to find a shiny rock for some other rear end in a top hat.

Run away from them nothing's stopping you. If you're doing the quests where you have to find shiny poo poo in the woods some of them up the dropship rate intentionally so that you have to stay and fight them while you look

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ankle posted:

no. just run away and come back later if you don't want to fight them. I don't think they change levels until the near-end-game though, so for the most part until you get there they'll just be an annoyance more than an actual threat. I might be wrong though, because I just ignore them and move on.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I think they nerfed the Bow of the Clever. Using it seems to eat up a lot more HP than it used to.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How do you use the new camera thing?

e: Part of the R2 options

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

bizarre deformity posted:

Didn't any of you do the tutorial? It took like five minutes and explained blocking and how the color of your damage denotes weak/resist. Pretty invaluable information right there.

Ya'll knew that you could put the game on Wait Mode and scan enemies for their weaknesses with R1, right?
Just wanted to say the funniest thing about this particular fact is that Kotaku had a "things you should know before playing" article and one of the big points was "don't bother doing the tutorial, this poo poo is easy." It was the same article that insisted the jumping puzzle dungeon was good. What a terrible website.

Hey so uhh I don't own the season pass and I'm not really thinking about getting it either because I'd have rather paid 60 bucks for a complete game instead of 85 bucks for a fixed one. Is the chocobo festival actually any good or is it just Altissia with Chocobos and Moogles spewed everywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I scanned over a stream of someone experiencing the whole thing and it looks dumb as gently caress.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 24, 2017

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DaveKap posted:

Hey so uhh I don't own the season pass and I'm not really thinking about getting it either because I'd have rather paid 60 bucks for a complete game instead of 85 bucks for a fixed one. Is the chocobo festival actually any good or is it just Altissia with Chocobos and Moogles spewed everywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I scanned over a stream of someone experiencing the whole thing and it looks dumb as gently caress.

You don't need the season pass to do the Carnival. The free (not season pass) Holiday Pack came with a ticket to it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

qbert posted:

You don't need the season pass to do the Carnival. The free (not season pass) Holiday Pack came with a ticket to it.
Welp I'm a big dummy who is going to waste time on this now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Taking photos of the moogles is dreadful.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How long is the carnival

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

How long is the carnival

it is the eternal carnival. it is forever

In our timeline it lasts for like three weeks or so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't played for a few weeks, the last thing I did was get into the second area and go open up chocobos. So I'm supposed to go meet Gladio's sister or something I think?

How far is that from getting to the festival place?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Does the lvl99 mech that comes from the dropships drop anything cool for killing it? I've encountered it a few times but never when I was strong enough to make a dent in it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kelp Me! posted:

Does the lvl99 mech that comes from the dropships drop anything cool for killing it? I've encountered it a few times but never when I was strong enough to make a dent in it.

Chance to drop a really good accessory. 2000HP/100STR/70VIT.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Taking photos of the moogles is dreadful.

Seriously, how the heck do you do this? I've taken like 10 photos up close and I can't get the task to update.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dancing Peasant posted:

Seriously, how the heck do you do this? I've taken like 10 photos up close and I can't get the task to update.

How certain are you that you're taking photos of the correct moogles? The ones you're looking for are very small (~1 foot).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't played for a few weeks, the last thing I did was get into the second area and go open up chocobos. So I'm supposed to go meet Gladio's sister or something I think?

How far is that from getting to the festival place?

You literally access it from the main menu directly. No story progress required.

Got ll the achievements last night. Sorry adamantoise that i made you bleed to death out of your foot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kelp Me! posted:

95% chance to drop a 1k hp 70 str 50 vit acc
5% chance to drop a 2k hp 100 str 70 vit acc

So yea it's worth killing

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It seems like the main things you can get out of the carnival to bring back to the main game are a) the outfits, b) items for upgrading machinery, and c) recipes to help with fishing and chocobo racing. The fishing gear is a pain to get and apparently only so-so, and everything else you can cash in your medals for are decals and consumables (lol at spending 70 medals for a single mega-phoenix or non-arapiama roe ingredients). Haven't done the VIP room thing yet, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did anybody else notice the adamantoise skeletons in the valley nearby where you rescue dave at the start of the game or have i gone crazy and thats not what those are?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

there are skeletons here and there yeah, but I don't see what makes them adamantoise?

E: So can someone explain the reasoning behind having time limited additional content in a single player game?

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 24, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
For people having issues with the moogle pictures - do the quests at night time. They're bright as gently caress and easy to see, but they're small. If you're taking pictures of a moogle and not getting a quest update, you're taking pictures of the wrong Moogles - my pictures were unzoomed in garbage shots and they still took them.

There's an area, I want to say where the second or third moogle is supposed to be, that there's a bartender/food vendor. You can talk to him and it makes a comments about how he's really chatty and time jumps ahead about 6 hours. Easy way to get to night time. It's in the same area where there's someone dressed as a moogle and gives you trivia questions. It's also the same guy that has two different food items you can buy and learn that Noctis mocks Ignis.

For an example of what the moogles look like, go to this area and the moogle is in the top of the archway that you walk through when entering the area. They're quite small and easy to miss, but that's the point. They're very bright at night though.

The hardest one for me to find was the one that the quest point is in the middle of a bridge - There's a boat thats going around the canal in a loop with people in it. The moogle is on the nose of the chocobo that's attached to the front of the boat.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Attitude Indicator posted:

E: So can someone explain the reasoning behind having time limited additional content in a single player game?

Force people to play your game over a long period of time. It's like a breadcrumb trail leading to the paid dlc so players don't lose interest.

If you could just dl and save for later, there's a chance you never come back.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So is there an arcade in the DLC with a snowboarding mini game? I thought there was a slight chance....

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nope just a Mog House machine

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've found 14/15 of the chicks, but the last one is eluding me and you only get 10 medals so I think I'll ease up on the autism for this one.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I bought the Royal Raiment because seeing Noctis in a dapper suit is worth 49 cents to me, but it's not showing up in my outfits. :mad:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

I've found 14/15 of the chicks, but the last one is eluding me and you only get 10 medals so I think I'll ease up on the autism for this one.

You can hear the chicks squawking, just like you can hear the frogs ribbiting.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm having way too fun with the new camera feature - I'm going to run out of photo space in no time!

And holy crap I want to be able to phase around in the main game as well!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

qbert posted:

Force people to play your game over a long period of time. It's like a breadcrumb trail leading to the paid dlc so players don't lose interest.

If you could just dl and save for later, there's a chance you never come back.

I assume you're correct and that the marketing dep's research shows this works, but man, saying i have to play some carnival now instead of next month isn't really hyping me up for Episode Shallow Dude #2 much. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there any trick to the fishing contest? I must've caught fifty fish and haven't gotten any tags better than E. any particular spot? Lure? I'm kind of annoyed that the rare fish who are tough to catch don't usually have tags. I mean, this Scorpion Grouper is cool but wasn't worth the trouble.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Altissia looks great with all the lights at night. It's like a greatly expanded version of party city in Lightning Returns.

EDIT: I find it utterly unprofessional that they let little children fight monsters with a toy baton.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bizarre deformity posted:

Is there any trick to the fishing contest? I must've caught fifty fish and haven't gotten any tags better than E. any particular spot? Lure? I'm kind of annoyed that the rare fish who are tough to catch don't usually have tags. I mean, this Scorpion Grouper is cool but wasn't worth the trouble.

I caught probably 30 fish in one spot and best I got was the Dragon line

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Has anyone found a way up to frog lady to get a photo?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

there are skeletons here and there yeah, but I don't see what makes them adamantoise?

Theyre big shells,, two forearms, and a long spinal/neck piece extending from the shell in the area proximate to where the adamantoise is. No skulls though which i spent time searching for to no avail.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Renoistic posted:

Has anyone found a way up to frog lady to get a photo?

You just need to take a picture of the target, not from the same angle as the clue.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Paracelsus posted:

You just need to take a picture of the target, not from the same angle as the clue.

Huh, I tried that but I guess it didn't register for some reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're taking a photo of something, don't push anything for a little while. It takes a bit for the game to trigger if you did it correctly. 2 or 3 seconds should be enough.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you're taking a photo of something, don't push anything for a little while. It takes a bit for the game to trigger if you did it correctly. 2 or 3 seconds should be enough.

Thanks, all the other photo spots have been working fine, though. Not even the moogles have been that bad since Carbuncle tells you when you're close to one. In fact, I'm thoroughly enjoying running around town looking for characters and statues to take photos of. Gives you more of a reason to explore the city than the main game ever did.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ugh I ran up some stairs and Noct said there was a moogle doll there but I can't find it, I feel so stupid

Edit: am I supposed to get something for photographing the subjects on that notice? Is it supposed to register it right away?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 24, 2017

• Locked thread