Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kill Wanda or don't already, Mr. R. R. Balder. C'moooooon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Wanda was taken out in early February of last year. For more than 11 months now one of the main characters of the comic-- the deuteragonist, really-- has been out of commission and awaiting her fate. There's slow pacing and then there's that.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I've gotten to the point where I'm actually slightly disappointed when it's a comic update. So much more stuff seems to happen in the text updates and it's nice spending a few minutes chewing on it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Wanda was taken out in early February of last year. For more than 11 months now one of the main characters of the comic-- the deuteragonist, really-- has been out of commission and awaiting her fate. There's slow pacing and then there's that.

Please. At least it ain't Order of the Stick. The Order's been fighting the same Frost Giants since August. By comparison, Erfworld's just rocketing through content!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Pacing isn't a measure of time friend. Reread it once it's finished, then see how you feel.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Even a re-read has bad pacing, though. The dude legitimately seems to have a difficult time threading the plot together. I mean, to be fair, that's a common Thing in fantasy novels too, which is why they tend to be bloated 800 page monstrosities anymore.

Part of it also feels like he kind of stretches it out because there's an incentive to have more updates rather than fewer in the form of a Patreon-esque that pays by the update.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

Pacing isn't a measure of time friend. Reread it once it's finished, then see how you feel.

I have. Time measurement is convenient because, due to Patreon, they update twice a week and only miss a rare few.

And maybe I'm just biased because I remember during Books 1 and 2 when we'd get maybe one update a month, but at least in book 1 lots of stuff happened. Book 2 had that interlude between the siege attack on Spacerock's tower and the tower collapsing where nothing seemed to be happening for ages, but other than that it moved along. Balder needs to introduce a plot point and then move onto its ramifications and effects, rather than lingering on the point for ages. An example: the comic where Janis is talking to Sizemore about whether or not she wants to take part in the peace spell plan. A plan that ultimately ends up coming to nothing. Or that recent comic that's literally just Stanley waiting to hear an update. These things do not have to be shown. They break up the flow of the comic. The entire trial has been elided and referred to by other characters to keep us updated, that principle should be applied more actively.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Except that what's going on in Janis' head is actually really important, since it leads up to whatever it is that she's about to do now?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'm not denying that, I'm saying we didn't need a whole comic where the only plot development was "Janis likes Marie and wants to decrypt her" especially since that fact had already been established months prior. In the immediate aftermath of the battle, in fact.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This uh... felt like we learned a lot and simultaneously did nothing but walk into a room.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Onmi posted:

This uh... felt like we learned a lot and simultaneously did nothing but walk into a room.

Well, I agree with the second half of your statement.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Things we actually learned:
* Maggie got her pendant back
* Skyy Appletini is sarcastic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

* Parson is still planning messy revenge on Bill.

(PS: character development is more important than plot development)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Things we actually learned:
* Maggie got her pendant back
* Skyy Appletini is sarcastic

That Maggie is treading very close to badness too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rygar201 posted:

That Maggie is treading very close to badness too.

We learned that last update

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Onmi posted:

We learned that is aware of it this update.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Onmi posted:

Parson can't really act or make plans based on things only we know, though.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well this doesn't bode well. Dammit Caesar, disband them both already.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I can kind of understand keeping Bill around but goddamn there is really no reason Vanna should still be around even in a dungeon. She is way too dangerous. What is he hoping to gain by keeping her?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reene posted:

I can kind of understand keeping Bill around but goddamn there is really no reason Vanna should still be around even in a dungeon. She is way too dangerous. What is he hoping to gain by keeping her?

Well, his girlfriend just killed his Ruler right in front of him, and he's now Overlord via regicide, so he probably doesn't want to start killing Transylvito units before the bodies even get cold.

You could order to enter the Magic Kingdom and go barbarian again, I suppose, but then you have to deal with questions like "what does she know and who is she telling it to?".

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is no one watching the prisoners known to have tricky magic powers

why has bill been left to his own devices in any fashion

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

why is no one watching the prisoners known to have tricky magic powers

why has bill been left to his own devices in any fashion

Honestly, "put her in a locked room where nobody can hear her speak" is probably the best way to jail a Turnamancer.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, "put her in a locked room where nobody can hear her speak" is probably the best way to jail a Turnamancer.

Caesar can order her not to speak and someone should just be sitting outside Bill's cell giving him a judging glare 24/7.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Caesar can order her not to speak and someone should just be sitting outside Bill's cell giving him a judging glare 24/7.

If ordering her not to speak works, then just ordering her to stay in the cell should also work.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Reene posted:

She's a Transylvito unit, and a valuable one at that. You don't disband a caster lightly. Just look at what Bill has done without getting disbanded.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If the forums are correct, he did order her not to speak, but she dodged the order by writing in the same way that Parson did waaaaay back when he was given the same order by Stanley.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Creep huh, fitting sound effect.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Good effort at giving Ansom some depth. The official forums seem to think this implies things about the Arkentools, but, I'm mostly just glad to see things happening in FAQ again. It'd be nice to hear at least one of these dangling threads wrapped up, one way or another.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Zoe posted:

Good effort at giving Ansom some depth. The official forums seem to think this implies things about the Arkentools, but, I'm mostly just glad to see things happening in FAQ again. It'd be nice to hear at least one of these dangling threads wrapped up, one way or another.
I hate to sound like "that guy" (see the OotS thread for numerous examples), but I'd honestly forgotten where Ansom was...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Update: what the gently caress is that?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Well I suppose it's certainly possible that they've bent enough of erfworlds rules to get this far that it's starting to glitch out. I guess it's some kind of broken portal maybe?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 4, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phenotype posted:

To quote K6BD, it's magical bullshit.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Okay that one never gets old" got a chuckle out of me.

Hopefully the comic'll stick with the Decrypted casters long enough for the Magic Kingdom side of the story to go somewhere.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Phenotype posted:

It looks like a magic doohickey surrounded by a bunch of hosed-up portals? I'm more interested in the three severed wires. We know portals can be disconnected in Portal Park, so maybe Charlie disconnected these wires earlier (or they got broken by the hosed up portals?) and if they're fixed, three new portals will appear in Portal Park? Or maybe you rewire things so, say, Charlie's portal leads directly to the portal of one of his allies, bypassing Portal Park entirely, so he can move massive amounts of guns around without the people inside the Magic Kingdom knowing about it?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is the Karnak guy Decrypted as well or is that just his natural colour scheme?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Is the Karnak guy Decrypted as well or is that just his natural colour scheme?

Natural color scheme. He was actually in a couple panels in the past but never did anything noteworthy.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Today's update was pretty cool. Lots of character development.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Aww, Vinny got his best friend back. Shame about ever other personal relationship though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This was a good page. also confirms they got the Treasury now, and that Vinny can hit both cities and essentially leave Jillian... exactly like Gobwin Knob in the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It seems the best/worst thing Charlie could do now is Thinkagramming Caesar and revealing Jillian's conquest of GKC. Assuming he can convince him he's not lying, I'm really not sure how Caesar would react.