Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lurdiak posted:

Eddie's already killing people and being crazy with a different symbiote right now.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

The last rumor going around with Venom was that Sony wanted to keep it separate completely from Spider-Man and the MCU. Which is dumb, but you know it's Sony.

Sony: So we will sell back this Spider-Man franchise, since it wasn't making us enough money. But we will keep a hold of this tasty, tasty Venom guy who we know will be the smash hit of the decade, once we remove all the Peter Parker stuff from the script.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X-O posted:

The last rumor going around with Venom was that Sony wanted to keep it separate completely from Spider-Man and the MCU. Which is dumb, but you know it's Sony.
Hopefully they actually will sell their film division and give the film rights of Spider-man where they belong

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's some solicits out for April, and the Greg Land art on Weapon X looks... not terrible? It's not good, but it looks like the climb towards mediocrity he started on Uncanny might be continuing.

Again, not great art or anything, but a definite step up from this monstrosity:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just wait til he has to draw the new teenage girl sidekick

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covers are never really his issue when he can actually spend a bit of time on them. It's when he's working interiors that he can only possibly finish by Googling "Jenny McCarthy loving" to get the right pose that it falls apart.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Decius posted:

I didn't much like it to be honest. It felt a lot like "Carol is so great, and the normal people see how great she is, why don't the other heroes see how great she is. Here again a example of great she is. Watch her talk with the President! Watch her delegate tasks! Watch her get emotional over little blue Kree girl!" The Hala refugee/bounty hunter story was too little to grip me yet either.

It just feels like the more they push Carol, the more it flops.

I genuinely wish she would succeed because that would indicate great, fun stories but Marvel just cant seem to get it to work.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
We still don't know what Fury said to Thor and now we gotta speculate on what Vision said to new Wasp, re: Kang.

I need closure, dang-it!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ferrule posted:

We still don't know what Fury said to Thor and now we gotta speculate on what Vision said to new Wasp, re: Kang.

I need closure, dang-it!

Fury: Wait'll you hear what Vision says to Wasp.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Civil War 2 wasn't a push for Carol it was character assassination.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heel pushes are a thing, too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moreau posted:

It just feels like the more they push Carol, the more it flops.

I genuinely wish she would succeed because that would indicate great, fun stories but Marvel just cant seem to get it to work.

Maybe it's because they want Carol to be a symbol and a mascot first and maintaining her success as a character who features in stories is incidental to the goal? It's like, think about Steven Moffat as a TV writer. You know, Sherlock and Doctor Who? Set aside your opinions on his ability as a writer for a moment, and look at one thing (perhaps the one thing) he is indisputably good at: coming up with "epic" scenes that "hit you right in the feels" and get turned into gifs and reblogged to death on Tumblr.

You can cultivate an entire fanbase on that method alone these days. I feel like that's what they're trying to do with Carol, to some extent.

I will allow that I'm completely wrong. I haven't thought about it that much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Endless Mike posted:

I'm already pretty cool with Captain Marvel, but I'll admit I would be much more interested in her if she started flying in a low rider and wore a "LIE, CHEAT & STEAL" t-shirt.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't wanna give then any more credit than they deserve cuz Lord knows I've railed against them about this very thing a hundred times already, but with the way they're trying to sweep cw2 under the rug already re: Carol i wonder of editorial didn't really want to use her as the antagonist (protagonist?) but were just afraid of what might happen if they told bendis no

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that civil war 2 got extended so long because carol was supposed to end up the bad guy like tony was in the first one and tony himself was supposed to die and they had to walk that stuff back because the editors told them to gently caress off

Endless Mike posted:

she is absolutely not supposed to be a heel. they want you to like her, not like to hate her

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Also lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

she is absolutely not supposed to be a heel. they want you to like her, not like to hate her

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What does Black Adam have to do with this?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Now that you mention it, Carol did go through that period where her costume had all that body armour on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

What does Black Adam have to do with this?

Well, he is going to be in a Captain Marvel movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For non-wrestling people, the dude on the Rock's right somehow managed the near-impossible feat of getting wrestling fans to BOO Dwayne loving Johnson by virtue of being so hated that Rock showing him any favour made them turn on him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please stop posting about wrestling. Can't even blame it on Gavok this time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't help it, wrestling is just real life Comic Books.

And Anime. And Videogames. And Post-Contemporary art. Wrestling is just life, man.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What's funny is that at the start of CW2 Tony was the one being the inflexible rear end in a top hat. It was shittily written from start to finish.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody looking forward to Elektra and Bullseye next month? Iron Fist is also looking pretty good.

http://www.newsarama.com/32858-marvel-comics-april-2017-solicitations.html

Also here's all the Marvel solicits fot April. Didn't know Jonboy Meyers was on Royals, so niw I'm excited for that and the fact that Al Ewing is writing it. Maybe now would be a good time for the new X-Men thread?

Roth fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 25, 2017

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

howe_sam posted:

What's funny is that at the start of CW2 Tony was the one being the inflexible rear end in a top hat. It was shittily written from start to finish.

Neither side was even close to right. Tony was just less wrong. Refusing to investigate possible future catastrophic events is negligent. Reenacting famous dystopian fiction when you already know the prophecies aren't reliable is insane and evil. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but there's an obvious middle road that doesn't involve heroes murdering heroes for no good reason. I guess that doesn't make for much of an event, though.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah there were no winners here. The entire event was a casualty of just plain bad writing.

And probably a poo poo-ton of meddling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On the good side of things, tomorrow's Spider-woman is friggin fantastic.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm...that doesn't seem to indicate "Roger is still dead and everyone is still super sad"...but I'm wary nonetheless. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Hmm...that doesn't seem to indicate "Roger is still dead and everyone is still super sad"...but I'm wary nonetheless. :v:

It seems Spider-Woman is ending in a couple of issues anyway, so I'd imagine they'll end it on a happy note.

Also you know, Roger's on the cover of the last issue too so...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's great how writers will write "wink wink nudge" jokes about how it was so dumb for characters to meet and fight over a misunderstanding in the silver age while that is basically still happening.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Roth posted:

I think it's great how writers will write "wink wink nudge" jokes about how it was so dumb for characters to meet and fight over a misunderstanding in the silver age while that is basically still happening.

It's like how when they have characters point out how dumb their superhero names or costumes are, when in-universe they named themselves and made their own costumes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

On the good side of things, tomorrow's Spider-woman is friggin fantastic.

Can confirm this to be true.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
so secret empire is going to end with Tony waking up and stopping Hydra Cap?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No thats miles' job

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

site posted:

No thats miles' job

Based off the Oath he is going to have something to do with it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can I just interrupt to say I absolutely love what Marvel is doing with The Orb in Dr. Strange's book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilverSupernova posted:

Can I just interrupt to say I absolutely love what Marvel is doing with The Orb in Dr. Strange's book.

Jason Aaron loves the Orb.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Can confirm this to be true.

Had a little tear in my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016