Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

FrameRelay posted:

Hey guys, I am currently a manager at a small helpdesk (100,000 calls a year). I do all of the reporting for the desk. Currently I am using Excel formulas and multiple VBA macros to automatically generate our reports in PowerPoint. It takes about 10 minutes to organize the data and run every day.

I am wondering if there is a more powerful and free solution out there that is tailored to easily compiling data from a CSV or Excel file and spitting it out into charts that can easily be put into PowerPoint presentations.

How long is the organizing and how long is the running? If it's the former then maybe a short-term solution is to find a better way to collect the data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

anthonypants posted:

In this thread? Yes.

100%.

My 3 steps up the chain from me boss submits funding requests to a board and the guy has the backbone of a sheet of paper. So instead of fighting for IT to improve ageing poo poo he just questions everything people ask for in hopes they give up from him asking nonseqitur questions 24/7 or by literally ignoring responses. Basically he fights his own IT management.

(Can't :yotj: out hard enough)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Hey, can we drop a double digit figure on a mass license for a file-copier system that's not Windows Explorer, that allows queueing and handles 30gb+ large files with ease, because those are our bread and butter that we all deal with every single day?

No?

Alright then."

:argh:

So far, Ultracopier seems to be working nicely.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pre:

URGENT URGENT URGENT

My Return key gets stuck after a single press

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nielsm posted:

pre:

URGENT URGENT URGENT

Yep, sure does! Ticket closed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nielsm posted:

pre:

URGENT URGENT URGENT

User advised to wash grimy hands more often.

Case Closed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Hey, can we drop a double digit figure on a mass license for a file-copier system that's not Windows Explorer, that allows queueing and handles 30gb+ large files with ease, because those are our bread and butter that we all deal with every single day?

No?

Alright then."

Double digit figure? As in, under a hundred?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This morning I said today was a complete dumpster fire. Then we found out a garbage truck caught fiber and melted a whole bunch of our fiber.

I'm now banned from using the term "poo poo storm". You know, just to be safe.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

notwithoutmyanus posted:

100%.

My 3 steps up the chain from me boss submits funding requests to a board and the guy has the backbone of a sheet of paper. So instead of fighting for IT to improve ageing poo poo he just questions everything people ask for in hopes they give up from him asking nonseqitur questions 24/7 or by literally ignoring responses. Basically he fights his own IT management.

(Can't :yotj: out hard enough)

3 steps up my chain at new job is the CEO, and I still can't decide how I feel being this far up the chain myself.

At least I am not management

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Double digit figure? As in, under a hundred?

Exactly.

"Hey, do you think the company will spend money on-..."

"No."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No?

Alright then."

Does robocopy choke on 30GB+ files?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I can't remember the specific issue, but there's some reason we're not using that one.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Nope. I used to copy that size files frequently when I was employed at a media company.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

anthonypants posted:

In this case the choking is coming from inside the file. :v:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Look, man, I know you're a doctor and you're smart and all, but telling us you know how to get around our web filtering software is a really dumb thing to do.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Someone found translate.google.com?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Whatever he found, I bet he's gonna have a real hard time finding it once Networking looks at his logs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Muffinlord posted:

Look, man, I know you're a doctor and you're smart and all, but telling us you know how to get around our web filtering software is a really dumb thing to do.

This is like the new person in customer service that at the Christmas party mentioned how I blocked all the fun stuff like facebook (C-levels want it I'm well aware this just leads to less productivity). I shrugged this off because our customer service has a few dead times and people go shopping. She then mentioned being bored just browsing shopping websites for 2 hours of each day. I was at the same table as the CFO. Guess who didn't make it to 2017 with a job?

Everyone has some downtime, or you are being overworked don't admit it in front of the big bosses. Hell mentioning it to me probably wasn't a good idea either, but I understand what is happening and don't care if you are buying shoes at work as long as your manager doesn't ask me for logs, even then I don't care he does.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
Tickets are beginning to come in.

I ask my team lead "Do I have my access yet to the server and my admin tools?"
TL: "No, your approval is pending review"

Two days in now, two printer issues. The first, print server has granted access to a finance only printer and revoked permission from the guy who critically needs it.
The second: lovely HP printer reporting errors because reasons. "Good news, the printer belongs to the COO

I've got this, I hope.

Edit: COO has been taken care of.

PseudoFaux fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 24, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

The Muffinlord posted:

Whatever he found, I bet he's gonna have a real hard time finding it once Networking looks at his logs.

Yeah that's the problem with google translate. It's HTTPS traffic.. from Google. Are you going to block that?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I just discovered GAM.

I'm currently watching it remove 187 users from all their groups.

I'll never not be amazed by scripting.

Now to automate deprovisioning users :3:

How's everyone doing?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

Yeah that's the problem with google translate. It's HTTPS traffic.. from Google. Are you going to block that?
That's why you get a web filter that can do SSL decryption and MITM their asses :smug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

I just discovered GAM.

How's everyone doing?
I got to remove 40 computer objects from AD this morning, and I'm almost done with the objects that haven't touched a domain controller in 2015! But we can't move too quickly with this, it's better to do a few computer objects each week to see if it breaks anything.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

I just discovered GAM.

Golf Association of Michigan?

Well, I guess it would be Mississippi.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Crowley posted:

Sure, by removing him from the approved internet users group in AD.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I just discovered GAM.

How's everyone doing?

Is gam another name for powershell?

Edit:
I found this, you must be on gsuite then.
vvv- I swear I edited my post before you replied!

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 24, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think it's Google AppsG Suite Manager

Friendly reminder that any method of software installation that looks like this:
code:
bash <(curl -s -S -L https://git.io/install-gam)
should be considered a dumpster fire and ignored completely

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have to use the flaming pile of poo poo that is G Suite then using GAM to manage it is pretty much compulsory.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

I just discovered GAM.

How's everyone doing?

gShell is better. (I even made a script for it to do the same thing you mentioned that I then tied into my user deprovisioning script.)

GAM is great (and actually has some really nice functionality that gShell is still missing) but if you try to wrap it in anything it's a nightmare because it doesn't output any useful error codes so you're stuck scraping text out of the terminal like a savage.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

The Muffinlord posted:

Sure, by removing him from the approved internet users group in AD.

This person knows how to BOFH.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so an email came in,

was a job prospect, network admin for a local financial firm. So i took a look at their website, it was glorious.

http://www.stjamesfinancialservices.com/

still going to toss a resume in, they are offering fairly decent pay.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

:barf:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oh god I feel bad for that lady. They're forcing an aspect ratio on her picture to fit the frame and it makes her look terrible.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Oh god I feel bad for that lady. They're forcing an aspect ratio on her picture to fit the frame and it makes her look terrible.
http://64.187.211.76/Web/StJames/Marilda%20Francisco-Kane.pdf

The correct version isn't much better

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

She looks like she's being held hostage in the trunk of a car.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Aunt Beth posted:

That's why you get a web filter that can do SSL decryption and MITM their asses :smug:

Yep, BlueCoat has been a thorn in my side for years. :/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was holding out for the MIDI music to start playing

mewse
May 2, 2006

blackswordca posted:

so an email came in,

was a job prospect, network admin for a local financial firm. So i took a look at their website, it was glorious.

http://www.stjamesfinancialservices.com/

still going to toss a resume in, they are offering fairly decent pay.

When the first sentence of your "about us" proudly declares that you are incorporated, that implies you barely qualify to be described as a business

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Crowley posted:

Very easily?

All modern UPNs will intercept HTTPS traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Started a new job at a help desk yesterday. It's great so far, except I can already tell Service Desk Express is going to be annoying. Anyone familiar with it, and have some tips for making it not bad?

• Locked thread