Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

The only place in Canada that gets proper-hosed also really fucks China.

ok i hate to say it, but this is incredibly pleasing to look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
As if most of the countries threatened by gradual sea level rise won't turn into dike protected below sealevel land.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

As if most of the countries threatened by gradual sea level rise won't turn into dike protected below sealevel land.

China is #1 in lesbian protection technology, do you know?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ded posted:

You could always whisper MAYOOOOOOOOOOOO

First time I tried to get a sub at Subway in China the guy was really confused, and after a few seconds my wife had to step in.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe the Chinese maintain a link to our amphibian relatives that the white man has forsaken, and thus prefer shallow pools and to keep a film of oil on all surfaces in their kitchens?

It's possible, apparently they think man arose separately in China and they are somehow a different type of homo sapiens

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

It was either a BBC or Reuters article talking about how the interior ministry or whatever is going to target VPNs.

Acha...
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38718066

quote:

China is cracking down on the hi-tech ways citizens avoid official scrutiny of what they do online.

The nation's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has announced plans to "clean up" unauthorised internet connections.
The 14-month campaign will target the virtual private networks (VPNs) and dedicated lines many use to go online.
All these types of service must be officially vetted to keep operating, said the Ministry.

Hidden link

In its notice, the Ministry said China's net connection market was "disordered" and needed regulating.

In a bid to sort out the situation it said it was embarking on the long term plan to bring some order to the way people go online. Net connection firms and the other ways people get online would be scrutinised, it said.

China uses many different technologies to police what people say online and which sites they can visit. Many sites popular outside the country, such as Facebook and YouTube, are blocked or restricted to those behind what is known as China's "great firewall".

To get around that virtual edifice many people use VPNs, which are a secure connection between a device and another computer over the internet, to effectively connect directly to a computer outside China that handles traffic between them and the sites they want to reach.

Many businesses also use VPNs to help staff connect to corporate networks and to limit the amount of confidential data travelling over public networks.
The VPNs used by individuals and businesses, as well as dedicated leased lines, must now get official permission to operate.

The campaign is the latest in a long series of attempts by Chinese authorities to stop people using VPNs and other filter-busting systems.

Reporting on the crackdown, the South China Morning Post said the move was linked to wider efforts to manage the information available online ahead of a Communist Party congress which will see a "major reshuffle" of party leadership.

Eh... I don't know. There will be ways around it somehow. There are those services that let you use virtual machines and you're just screen casting a normal computer in the USA, etc. Soooooooo many businesses here use VPNs not for protection, but for connecting to the sites they do business on or the places they advertise (especially on social media). If they really CRACKED DOWN on VPNs, I can immediately think of several offices I know of that all of the staff are hosed and can't keep working. I will probably leaving here in the summer, so I don't know how this 14 month CRACK DOWN will affect me.

CRACK DOWN!!!!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

It's possible, apparently they think man arose separately in China and they are somehow a different type of homo sapiens

*Firmly places hand over open coke

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvq9k6t4aUY

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Couple random pics from the Jinmao Tower. It has a glass walkway on the outside on the 88th floor that you can walk on. No railing and the goal is to let you lean forward off of it so you can basically look straight down at the ground. You get strapped in as if you were climbing a mountain though so its pretty tame other than realizing everything was made in China. Either way sort of cool to see the Shanghai skyline from the opposite side.

My ears popped twice on the elevator ride.

I'm planning to see how Shanghai Disneyland is now that everyone is gone. Oh also I met someone that was one of the girls on that ridiculous Chinese dating show so I can probably answer some questions about that too sometime after Chinese New Year, possibly other China tv stuff since she still shows up on other shows.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Well.... it's been fun, guys. I guess this really is my final time in China.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-southchinasea-idUSKBN1572M4

quote:

The new U.S. administration of President Donald Trump vowed on Monday the United States would prevent China from taking over territory in international waters in the South China Sea, something Chinese state media has warned would require Washington to "wage war."

The comments at a briefing from White House spokesman Sean Spicer signaled a sharp departure from years of cautious U.S. handling of China's assertive pursuit of territorial claims in Asia, just days after Trump took office on Friday.

"The U.S. is going to make sure that we protect our interests there," Spicer said when asked if Trump agreed with comments by his secretary of state nominee, Rex Tillerson. On Jan. 11, Tillerson said China should not be allowed access to islands it has built in the contested South China Sea.

"It’s a question of if those islands are in fact in international waters and not part of China proper, then yeah, we’re going to make sure that we defend international territories from being taken over by one country," he said.

China responded on Tuesday, saying the United Sates was not a party to dispute in the South China Sea.

"We urge the United States to respect the facts, speak and act cautiously to avoid harming the peace and stability of the South China Sea," Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told a regular news briefing in Beijing.

Tillerson's remarks at his Senate confirmation hearing prompted Chinese state media to say at the time that the United States would need to "wage war" to bar China's access to the islands where it has built military-length air strips and installed weapons systems.

Tillerson was asked at the hearing whether he supported a more aggressive posture toward China and said: "We’re going to have to send China a clear signal that, first, the island-building stops and, second, your access to those islands also is not going to be allowed.”

The former Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) chairman and chief executive did not elaborate on what might be done to deny China access to the islands.

But analysts said his comments, like those of Spicer, suggested the possibility of U.S. military action, or even a naval blockade. Such action would risk an armed confrontation with China, an increasingly formidable nuclear-armed military power. It is also the world's second-largest economy and the target of Trump accusations it is stealing American jobs.

Spicer declined to elaborate when asked how the United States could enforce such a move against China, except to say: “I think, as we develop further, we’ll have more information on it.”

Tillerson narrowly won approval from a Senate committee on Monday and is expected to win confirmation from the full Senate.

RISK OF DANGEROUS ESCALATION

Military experts said that while the U.S. Navy has extensive capabilities in Asia to stage blockading operations with ships, submarines and planes, any such move against China's growing naval fleets would risk a dangerous escalation.

Aides have said that Trump plans a major naval build-up in East Asia to counter China's rise.

In Beijing, Hua reiterated China's position that it was doing nothing to interfere with freedom of navigation through the South China Sea.

"China staunchly protects all countries' freedom of navigation in accordance with international law and staunchly protects the peace and stability of the South China Sea," Hua said.

China's foreign ministry said this month it could not guess what Tillerson meant by his remarks, which came after Trump questioned Washington's longstanding and highly sensitive "one-China" policy over Taiwan.

Washington-based South China Sea expert Mira Rapp-Hooper at the Center for a New American Security called the threats to bar China's access in the South China Sea "incredible" and said it had no basis in international law.

"A blockade - which is what would be required to actually bar access - is an act of war," she added.

"The Trump administration has begun to draw red lines in Asia that they will almost certainly not be able to uphold, but they may nonetheless be very destabilizing to the relationship with China, invite crises, and convince the rest of the world that the United States is an unreliable partner."

Bonnie Glaser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank called Spicer's remarks "worrisome" and said the new administration was "sending confusing and conflicting messages."

Dean Cheng, a China expert at the conservative Heritage Foundation, said Spicer's remarks showed the South China Sea was an important issue for the Trump administration.

He said it was significant that neither Spicer nor Tillerson had been specific as to what actions would be taken and this left open the possibility that economic measures - instead of military steps - could be used against China and firms that carry out island building.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
China won't do poo poo, the USA will come in and block it if it's idiotic and China will autistically screech about it

I leave tomorrow morning so as long as this happens more than 16 hours later I should be ok

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I'd like to remind the CIA operatives reading this thread that the ports of Hong Kong will gladly refuel American ships while the bars in Wan Chai refuel your sailors.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'd like to remind the CIA operatives reading this thread that the ports of Hong Kong will gladly steal Singaporean APCs while the bars in Wan Chai give you STDs.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What I love about this thread is that people post from experience

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Regardless if it a non-event outside China or for the world, inside China is another story. Chinese view of foreign people will go from the current "I hate you because my government shaped my opinions about people that look different than me and now I am a racist piece of poo poo," into "You are actually the/my enemy, and all of my China-related frustrations can be safely and repercussion-free acted out on you in however I think is fit." If we think passive-aggressive manchildren are standard now, they will really amp that up once the Chinese media makes a humongous deal out of the evil aggressors stealing Chinese land by force and they're coming for the rest of China soon. It doesn't matter what side is morally better, China is for Chinese, remember? Uncle Xi can do no wrong.

Police might be more strong about kicking people out of apartments, businesses and money getting confiscated, etc. Blah blah. LOL

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Shut up I want my coup

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Haier posted:

Regardless if it a non-event outside China or for the world, inside China is another story. Chinese view of foreign people will go from the current "I hate you because my government shaped my opinions about people that look different than me and now I am a racist piece of poo poo," into "You are actually the/my enemy, and all of my China-related frustrations can be safely and repercussion-free acted out on you in however I think is fit." If we think passive-aggressive manchildren are standard now, they will really amp that up once the Chinese media makes a humongous deal out of the evil aggressors stealing Chinese land by force and they're coming for the rest of China soon. It doesn't matter what side is morally better, China is for Chinese, remember? Uncle Xi can do no wrong.

Police might be more strong about kicking people out of apartments, businesses and money getting confiscated, etc. Blah blah. LOL

I was mostly in China during the years around the beijing olympics so they didnt have any particular grudges against the meiguoren then.

Man if there was one thing I never wanted to see any poo poo about again ever it was the beijing olympics.

I think at one point people rioted outside a Carrefour because they were pissed at France.

Probably the first weird poo poo anyone asked me to do, like a week after I got there, was look into a camera for some camera crew and say what I think was:

和谐奥运 志愿共享 支持中国银行!!!

it took like 5 takes for me to pronounce it well enough and seem excited enough.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 24, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

和谐奥运 志愿共享 支持中国银行!!!
\_________

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Are we supposed to know what that means?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Are we supposed to know what that means?

Oh, let me fix it: 和諧奧運志願共享支持中國銀行!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'd like to remind the CIA operatives reading this thread that the ports of Hong Kong will gladly refuel American ships while the bars in Wan Chai refuel your sailors.

A thus another generation of half-Asian military brats are born continuing the cycle for time unend.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Eerie Photos Take You Down China’s Neon-Lit Alleyways

quote:

Mugot, a fashion photographer and graphic designer in the Parisian suburb of Vincennes [...] eager to take eerie photographs inspired by the films of David Cronenberg, Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick [...] visited China in November and [...] each day, she’d set out for a different neighborhood to spend several hours wandering and shooting.

Fourteen great photos in the article. Even more in her instagram:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to start cataloging these from now on.

Daily Racism - Jan. 24, 2017:
I'm walking out of the supermarket tonight, and three older fat guys in sloppy business suits are walking towards me with their rotund bellies leading the way. The balding fatso in the front of the herd makes eye contact with me and immediately throws his lit cigarette my ankles, hitting my shoe with it. It sparks and bounces off and he makes the loud "tssssk" sound that they only do down here when they disapprovingly look at a human being that doesn't exactly resemble them, or they have some major complaint about something that really pisses them off.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It means this.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Haier posted:

I'm walking out of the supermarket tonight, and three older fat guys in sloppy business suits are walking towards me with their rotund bellies leading the way. The balding fatso in the front of the herd makes eye contact with me and immediately throws his lit cigarette my ankles, hitting my shoe with it. It sparks and bounces off and he makes the loud "tssssk" sound that they only do down here when they disapprovingly look at a human being that doesn't exactly resemble them, or they have some major complaint about something that really pisses them off.

you should 'xie xie, ribenren'

Ive forgotton what uncultured is in the putonghua :qq:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

man if you think throwing lit cigs is bad, just wait until someone thinks you are good at math or asks if you like eating noodles. #thisis2016

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

BCR posted:

没素质 or lacking inner quality.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BCR posted:

you can say

丢脸了 - you embarrass yourself/you lose face
没有脸 - you have no dignity/you have no face
素质差 - so uneducated/
不要脸 - you do not want dignity/you don't even want face
叫你生孩子没屁股眼 - i hope your kid is born without an rear end in a top hat
草泥马 / 肏你妈 - gently caress your mother

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

cho ni ma isn't same level as you're a uncultured nongmin

but

thanks for mandarin, needed the refresh

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo! posted:

man if you think throwing lit cigs is bad, just wait until someone thinks you are good at math or asks if you like eating noodles. #thisis2016
I had a bottle thrown at me in Shanghai by some teenage kids in broad daylight. Again, it was aimed at the legs. That was 2007 though.
Maybe the transition is bottle > cigarette > snot rocket.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

you can say

丢脸了 - you embarrass yourself/you lose face
没有脸 - you have no dignity/you have no face
素质差 - so uneducated/
不要脸 - you do not want dignity/you don't even want face
草泥马 / 肏你妈 - gently caress your mother

Could we get some pinyin aswell? These should be useful)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Wow most people at know would immediately punch that guy in the face.

Is plunging the hair caves really worth this poo poo?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Wow most people at know would immediately punch that guy in the face.

Is plunging the hair caves really worth this poo poo?

If you look into your heart you know that it is not.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
How do you say "Your daughters white baby is mine"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How do you say "Your daughters white baby is not mine"?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I leave tomorrow morning so as long as this happens more than 16 hours later I should be ok

Congrats!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

By the time it's extremely obvious you should get out of a country, it's often too late. Also the time to get out of china was "always".

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

lmao thanks for that

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Outrail posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
we will run out of sand for concrete long before we can finish making dykes

• Locked thread