Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fuzz posted:

Wow, the Skellige deck is chock full of bullshit. I'm all for interesting variation between decks, but it's like a stark departure from every other deck. Does standalone retool the originals and add any other new decks with crazy mechanics, too?

Yeah they change a good bit to make it work as a multi-player game iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dammit. Apparently I was invited to the Gwent beta a month ago and missed the email (or it went to spam). Redeemed it now, nice interface.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Wow, the Skellige deck is chock full of bullshit. I'm all for interesting variation between decks, but it's like a stark departure from every other deck. Does standalone retool the originals and add any other new decks with crazy mechanics, too?

I'm doing the tournament now and it's basically the only misstep in the expansion that you have to use this lovely deck to play it. It's just not fun to play with this deck because it depends entirely on if you draw Cerys or not, essentially.

Spies or no point playing Gwent.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Is there a mod that fixes alternate sign casting?

I'm 90 hours in a just picked up Uma (got The Professional), but I've had the alternate cast skill for Axii since about hour thirty and it's only worked like twice. I know you need to slot it on the character page and hold the cast button, but 99% of the time it never does anything other than the base skill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm doing the tournament now and it's basically the only misstep in the expansion that you have to use this lovely deck to play it. It's just not fun to play with this deck because it depends entirely on if you draw Cerys or not, essentially.

Spies or no point playing Gwent.

Having to struggle through with that deck was a bit of a pain but it was worth it for the drunken Dwarves angrily demanding people stop loving with "our Gwent"

I went straight back to my spies crutch after that for every game of Gwent, though.

Megazver posted:

The premium (animated) Emhyr card for stand-alone Gwent looks dope.

Goddamn that is nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm with the Dwarves, stop loving with our Gwent.

(I'm sure the standalone game's additions are much better realised so loving with Gwent is okay in that situation)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, the major issue with the Skellige deck is that while it does the Monsters gimmick better, it's still just not as good as the two good factions, and having to play with a middling deck in a four round tournament with some of the best decks (and a fist fight in the middle) without being able to make a manual save at any point sort of sucks.

I'm mostly digging Blood and Wine, except the drat horse race at the tourney is making me want to scream. I finally figured out that holding the attack button slows down time, but I still just suck too badly at mounted combat. I am so sick of skipping through all the "You lose!" scenes and waiting for my save to load. :(

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, the major issue with the Skellige deck is that while it does the Monsters gimmick better, it's still just not as good as the two good factions, and having to play with a middling deck in a four round tournament with some of the best decks (and a fist fight in the middle) without being able to make a manual save at any point sort of sucks.
It let me quicksave between rounds two and three, for what it's worth.

I agree that it sucked having to use the Skellige deck though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Phew boy, does that Skellige deck suck. I ended up stacking the deck as best I could with neutral cards and hoping for the best.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You can just remove the lovely gimmick cards and play it like any other deck.

Reshuffle your shield maiden cards at the start and play Cerys like a 36 or whatever strength card.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Eh, it's not "draw Cerys or die" but it is a good deal weaker than Nilfgaard/Norther Realms spy crutch decks where you end up with your entire deck in your hand. Being able to recycle muster cards was kind of dope.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Nullkigan posted:

Is there a mod that fixes alternate sign casting?

I remember having this problem too, are you using puppet and delusion together? For some reason puppet worked fine when separate. I found this solution that fixed it for me, just a little ini editing for the button press:

quote:

Navigate to your folder: C:\Users<User Name>\Documents\The Witcher 3
Open the file "input.settings"

Find all the entries for "IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.2)"

Change the entry to have an IdleTime of 0.3. So after your change it should look like this:
"IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.3)"

There are multiple entries (around 3) of this setting, so you will have to change them all.

If it doesn't work with IdleTime=0.3 I think 0.1 can work as well.

And if you are using a gamepad, look for IK_Pad_RightTrigger=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.2) and make the same changes.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 24, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I got a Steam Controller and now am trying to get used to it after playing through the full campaign and Hearts of Stone with a PS4 controller.

It's... weird. Not sure how I feel about it, thus far.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally got past the horse race of death and decided to finish the scavenger hunts for the ultimate gear, even though it is now clear I will never be able to afford any more than the one I'm wearing; I sunk too much money into my winery, plus buying a portrait of me. It's interesting that one of the Witcher's converted to Witcherverse Christianity.

I've only done a little progress on the main quest but I've barreled through most of the side quests and Blood and Wine mostly seems mostly like the huge, comedy DLC. The bank quest, the one with the statue balls, the bard's hairdresser, the angry gamer grognard dwarves, nekker artists... Plus, it's the place where everybody knows Geralt's name. I'm starting to think that it's a dream he's having and Toussaint was a place he read about in one of Dandelion's books shortly before going on a White Gull binge.

e: is the level cap at 50? If so, they did a decent job calculating when you'd hit it. I'm 46 now, so I anticipate that by the time I finish the last couple of hunts and clear the Points of Interest, I'll be there.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I don't think there is a level cap. I was at level 56 when I finished everything.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The level cap is 100, you'll reach it at the end of New Game+ if you do two thorough playthroughs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I only know the books from secondary sources but I was under the impression that Toussaint was also, basically, a weirdly lighter-hearted vacation episode in the novels too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't think Toussaint actually exists. It's just where Dandelion says a story about Geralt takes place when it has doubtful provenance and he can't tie it to any specific location.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Bicyclops posted:

I finally got past the horse race of death and decided to finish the scavenger hunts for the ultimate gear, even though it is now clear I will never be able to afford any more than the one I'm wearing; I sunk too much money into my winery, plus buying a portrait of me. It's interesting that one of the Witcher's converted to Witcherverse Christianity.

Clear the points of interest in Touissant, specially the Hanse bases. Sell the gear, you'll be swimming in money. When I started B&W, I went broke getting the first grandmaster set. I still had money for all house upgrades and all grandmaster sets and much more, by the end of the game.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
My one disappointment on the grandmaster sets is that I'm rapidly outleveling them so the other gear I'm finding elsewhere is becoming better while not looking as nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't think Toussaint actually exists. It's just where Dandelion says a story about Geralt takes place when it has doubtful provenance and he can't tie it to any specific location.

I wonder if the time Geralt fought a Zeugl in Vizima was actually Vizima district, Toussaint...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Assuming I want to complete the main story of Blood and Wine 'last', but am amenable to doing it in dribs and drabs along with all the side quests. Is there an ideal 'recommended order' or is it easier to just run around the map clearing everything and then barreling down the main quest?

I'm up to meeting an old friend in a graveyard, but before that I've gotten Aerondight as a side effect of side quests and doing the Warble of a Smitten Knight quest, and I should probably do 'Turn and Face the Strange' ASAP for whatever it gives me, but I've only barely gotten started on scavenger hunting and haven't helped out those two big wineries yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not sure, but I'd do the mutagen quest ASAP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Turn and face is the mutagen quest and you should definitely get it done because it's 100% worth it

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Turn off level scaling for yen's quest. You will get one shotted otherwise

So that'swhy that fight was tricky.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Holy poo poo the Drunk Witcher party was the best thing ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Holy poo poo the Drunk Witcher party was the best thing ever.
That and giving Shani wine make this game the closest a grand Western rpg ever got to actually depicting real people and it's awesome.

One of my other but more serious favorite moments was Yen resurrecting that guy to ask about Ciri. Sure that there are tons of rpgs where necromancy is a big no-no but it somehow always stays more theoretically bad and is so sterile in its depiction. Here, after the scene ended I was like "yeah, necromancy is hosed up, holy poo poo".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite part of that is when Ciri mentions him late on and Yen realises "Oh, I have majorly hosed up now".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm mostly digging Blood and Wine, except the drat horse race at the tourney is making me want to scream. I finally figured out that holding the attack button slows down time, but I still just suck too badly at mounted combat. I am so sick of skipping through all the "You lose!" scenes and waiting for my save to load. :(

My guide posted:

Horse combat - you'll sometimes miss swings that really look like they should have hit, particularly if you try to do "ride-by" blows. Aiming Roach directly at the enemy, and swinging as his nose connects is actually a lot more certain.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also don't try and shoot the crossbow at targets while moving. Just come to a stop, you'll have plenty of time left over.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also don't try and shoot the crossbow at targets while moving. Just come to a stop, you'll have plenty of time left over.

But time also slows down when you aim your crossbow at the targets.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nycticeius posted:

But time also slows down when you aim your crossbow at the targets.

Only if you take the perk.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Paul Zuvella posted:

Only if you take the perk.

Time will slow down more with the perk, but time will slow down while aiming on horseback.

I'm seriously cheesed they waited till the endgame DLC to tell me that I could ready a mounted attack by holding M1 and time would slow when I got close to an enemy. I could have hacked so many things in Velen from horseback!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 24, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr Cheeto posted:

Time will slow down more with the perk, but time will slow down while aiming on horseback.

I'm seriously cheesed they waited till the endgame DLC to tell me that I could ready a mounted attack by holding M1 and time would slow when I got close to an enemy. I could have hacked so many things in Velen from horseback!

Someone never played Mount and Blade and tried this out basically as soon as they got the horse.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Fuzz posted:

I got a Steam Controller and now am trying to get used to it after playing through the full campaign and Hearts of Stone with a PS4 controller.

It's... weird. Not sure how I feel about it, thus far.

W3 is the game that got me to love mine. Try setting the right pad to mouse-like joystick, i find that feels more natural, and make sure you assign the back paddles to something, i can't imagine not having those on a controller now.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Palpek posted:

One of my other but more serious favorite moments was Yen resurrecting that guy to ask about Ciri. Sure that there are tons of rpgs where necromancy is a big no-no but it somehow always stays more theoretically bad and is so sterile in its depiction. Here, after the scene ended I was like "yeah, necromancy is hosed up, holy poo poo".

Funny thing about that quest: the ghost/echo of Tjall/Craven was able to recount what Ciri and the other women talked about in the bath house, even though he obviously was not present and Ciri had no opportunity to tell him about it. Same with Whoreson junior: somehow he was able to recount what Ciri and Dudu talked about before the former barged into his headquarters.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 24, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kopijeger posted:

Funny thing about that quest: the ghost/echo of Tjall/Craven was able to recount what Ciri and the other women talked about in the bath house, even though he obviously was not present and Ciri had no opportunity to tell him about it. Same with Whoreson junoir: somehow he was able to recount what Ciri and Dudu talked about before the former barged into his headquarters.

He probably peeked in there to peep Ciris titties and got treated to grandma boobs :barf:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kopijeger posted:

Funny thing about that quest: the ghost/echo of Tjall/Craven was able to recount what Ciri and the other women talked about in the bath house, even though he obviously was not present and Ciri had no opportunity to tell him about it. Same with Whoreson junior: somehow he was able to recount what Ciri and Dudu talked about before the former barged into his headquarters.

I think the idea there is the whole game is Dandelion's retelling, and he's filling in details for his audience that Geralt isn't going to learn until he asks Ciri about them later.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

I never really saw those parts as all of the flashback's dialogue and events being told to Geralt in similar detail, but more like letting us see the whole thing, while Geralt only learns the important bits. It's been a while since I last played those parts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Got my 1050gtx in to replace the 730 that came in this pc. Is Witcher 2 locked at 60fps? I had the settings on medium and it ran it well at 60 and I was thinking, hrm it's an older game this card should at least do a little better. I just hit auto detect and it set everything to ultra and still ran it at 60 without any dips. Surprised at how good the game looks. I think it may look better than Witcher 3 on ps4, which is plugged up to some cheap TV, 720p I think, so that's probably why.