Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dr Who is real bad.

Production, set design, technical stuff, even talent is good... the writing tho, my god the writing is just balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

Working my way through an unfeasibly large stack of xmas chocolate

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

Endless research on dumb stuff to buy for my new RC truck, playing Witcher 3 like a good little goon (free library rental hells yeah), reading Blood Meridian, wishing I had more parts for the Nova.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Waiting for my next paycheck to arrive so I can finally have music in my car that isn't a tiny bluetooth speaker. And convincing a friend to buy a five oh moostang.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Ferremit posted:

Fretting and worrying about things and not being able to sleep?

That is not a favorite thing :mad:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

I don't know why but I've been playing a lot more video games as of late. I haven't done this in years.

In a lot of ways, my violin playing is getting a lot better too.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Fretting and worrying about things and not being able to sleep?

What up worry buddy :same:

I wish there was a healthy way to turn my brain off at the end of the day

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Trying to race a Pontiac Aztek around the Nordschleife in Forza Motorsport 6, this thing is really hard to do a clean lap with. I've of course upgraded it to the max but it still handles like poo poo.

That sounds like a lot of fun hahaha

We all know its hot steaming garbage but what specifically is it doing?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

im reading a good book right this moment that may become next months botm

Which book? If its anything like your last few I definitely want to read it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Got back into House of Cards, but it honestly seems tame and uninteresting compared to real life politics.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I don't know why but I've been playing a lot more video games as of late. I haven't done this in years.

In a lot of ways, my violin playing is getting a lot better too.

ugh dude I just picked up the guitar recently and it's really made me wish I went orchestra in highschool instead of band. Srtinged instruments are so calming and soothing! Do you have any recordings?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mariooncrack posted:

Same. Titanfall 2 is getting a lot of love simply because the movement system is sublime. The single player mode was about 7 hours through, the perfect length and was a whole lot of fun to play, there's one mission where they introduce a particular mechanic which is just ridiculous fun. Multiplayer is great too, it never feels unfair and punching a dude in the face as a giant robot is forever satisfying.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Taboo, the BBC TV series with Tom Hardy as a man who returns to Britain after twelve years in Africa, right around end of the war with the United States. Good stuff, and it's only on its third episode, so you can get in from the start :)

Jonathan Pryce is amazing (as always) as the chairman of the East India Company.

E: Recommended because I love gritty historical fiction, and this is about as gritty as it gets (without the ridiculous sex+violence excesses of HBO).

Im absolutely gonna try this out, if only for the fact that the Dutch East India Trading Company is in it and every time I want to sound super old and bourgeois I always resort to the phrase "mnyah the Dutch East India Trading Company is posting record profits this quarter" in a 1920s American accent. Yes I realize this makes zero sense.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Adiabatic posted:

I'm on my second playthrough of Dishonored 2 as Corvo this time, I love the world these games are set in. I'm also cleaning and organizing my workspace downstairs in preparation for making it a podcasting space. A friend is doing a D&D podcast (playing the game, not talking about it) and asked me to be in on it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Adiabatic posted:

Which book? If its anything like your last few I definitely want to read it.

You'll have to wait till next month 😋

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Im absolutely gonna try this out, if only for the fact that the Dutch East India Trading Company is in it and every time I want to sound super old and bourgeois I always resort to the phrase "mnyah the Dutch East India Trading Company is posting record profits this quarter" in a 1920s American accent. Yes I realize this makes zero sense.

Have you ever read Tai-pan?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

slothrop posted:

Personally I meditate. It's not everyone's bag but it works for me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Have you ever read Tai-pan?

I have not, but reading the first few lines of the plot summary on Wikipedia, it's getting added to the list.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i play overwatch a lot so feel free to hmu and we can play together

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The wife and I dicked around on Borderlands 2 quite a bit this weekend. It's a good timesink.

I dunno I get bored with vidya games around the 10-20 hour mark and never play them again.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Adiabatic posted:

Personally I meditate. It's not everyone's bag but it works for me.

I smoke weed, sometimes it even helps me go to sleep. :v:

Living with insomnia while working 12 hour shifts on a continental rotation (4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 days with varying time off in between) basically means I sleep 2-4 hours in between shifts and then never really catch back up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

The wife and I dicked around on Borderlands 2 quite a bit this weekend. It's a good timesink.

I dunno I get bored with vidya games around the 10-20 hour mark and never play them again.

yeah i do the same with single player games

150hr into OW rn though because it's a whole different ballgame, and competing against angry nerds is the best

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Adiabatic posted:

I'm about halfway down a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel 'cause I can't sleep, and it's pretty good for cheap-rear end bourbon.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I heard recently that counting backwards from 300 by 3s will supposedly help you go to sleep.

It's like un-counting sheep.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i put my head on my pillow and pass out, only to be woken up later by my wife because im snoring too loud

it helps that i have a doggo cuddling me fiercely but i mean cmon let the snoring guy snore

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Listening to Grateful Dead bootlegs from archive.org's music repository.

They've got 11,000 Grrateful Dead concerts... and that's among the millions of other bands/artists they have. A lot of it is terrible audience recordings, but there are a lot straight from the soundboard.

A lot of people already know about this, but if you don't, check it out: https://archive.org/details/audio

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The Farm Truck is on the cover of the latest Jegs catalog.

E: Didn't realize he was a reality tv star.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 24, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Cooking using mass as the measure of how much of everything you're putting in always struck me as most logical.

It is, but weight was not always an easy thing to measure. Volume is not so difficult, and in cooking, you can get away with a lot of variation for most recipes.
Nowadays, an easy-to-use digital scale is pretty cheap. Of course, a set of measuring cups is cheaper still.

KozmoNaut posted:

Taboo, the BBC TV series with Tom Hardy as a man who returns to Britain after twelve years in Africa, right around end of the war with the United States. Good stuff, and it's only on its third episode, so you can get in from the start :)

Jonathan Pryce is amazing (as always) as the chairman of the East India Company.

E: Recommended because I love gritty historical fiction, and this is about as gritty as it gets (without the ridiculous sex+violence excesses of HBO).

You know, it's kind of neat getting a view from the other side of the world. See, here, that war would be "The Revolutionary War", and everyone knows what you're talking about. I guess that term would be much more ambiguous in Europe and other places outside of the US. Just an interesting observation, apropos of nothing. Just something I've never thought about. You guys are expanding my worldview just by talking.

Adiabatic posted:

Rearranged the shed this past weekend to get some stuff out of the garage to do a little work on the engine I'm hoping to install in my '79 RX-7 (whew!) Still need to finish that up.
Playing Dishonored 2 on the XBone, trying to find everything and not kill anyone. So far, I've not had a clean chapter with regards to kills of detections, though my Chaos is still low. Playing as Corvo fist time through.
Started watching The Man In The High Castle, only a few episodes in, and also Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events, which is all kinds of surreal. Patrick Warburton and Neil Patrick Harris are great.

slothrop posted:

I find one of the apps that sounds like a thunderstorm soothing, but I like thunderstorms. It's essentially white noise that my brain can focus on.
Storm Sim on iPhone/iPad in particular is what I use, but my wife uses another one and it's fine as well. I have a BT adapter connected to the stereo in the bedroom, so we get some decent thunder going. Rainy Mood is a good one of you don't want to install an app, and it's actual recoded storms

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Same. Titanfall 2 is getting a lot of love simply because the movement system is sublime. The single player mode was about 7 hours through, the perfect length and was a whole lot of fun to play, there's one mission where they introduce a particular mechanic which is just ridiculous fun. Multiplayer is great too, it never feels unfair and punching a dude in the face as a giant robot is forever satisfying.

That's currently my go-to when I feel like playing with other folks. Which mechanic are you referring to? I enjoyed the single-player campaign. Got so much use out of the sniper rifle.
It's also fun stomping infantry into the dirt.

Adiabatic posted:

You just reminded me I need to finish that. Or, really, start it. I'm only a few hours in. And Fallout 3. And Arkham Origins. Oh, and I bought Halo 5 and Arkham Knight recently. Lego Dimensions is still releasing DLC (or, rather, new figure packs.) I'm never going to finish all this. They need to stop coming out with new stuff before I finish the old stuff...

Go get a chin strap to help keep your mouth shut. Or do a sleep test and see if you need a CPAP. (I've go both, and sleep better.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i play overwatch a lot

That game is so boring, it never feels like you're doing any damage until the opponent just drops dead because you've scratched enough numbers off them.

Darchangel posted:

That's currently my go-to when I feel like playing with other folks. Which mechanic are you referring to? I enjoyed the single-player campaign. Got so much use out of the sniper rifle.
It's also fun stomping infantry into the dirt.

the level where you get the glove/bracelet that lets you slip between timelines so you can just dance around any and all danger and snap necks until you've had your fill.
Apparently the developers had a type of game jam where they came up with ideas for cool setpieces and levels and then basically made them and strung them all together with a loose kinda story. The factory level was particularly great, climbing up to the top with everything tilted sideways really messed with my head. Also EVA 8 shotgun 4 lyfe...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In amusing drama one of the writers at TTAC wrote a political diatribe yesterday about SJW's and the like which caused a bit of a backlash. Editor said mea culpa and retracted it; writer takes his ball and leaves as a result.

I can't find an archived copy of it yet.

:allears:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TTAC has become increasingly unpalatable for me. It feels like their staff have caught the Doug DeMuro self-importance bug.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Started a thread in the fitness log cabin, been making OK progress towards gym goals, so that's fun. Teaching myself JavaScript so that I JavaScript myself out of my lovely IT job. The band just finished a weekend-long stint through OK/AR/MO. I'm still running the local men's roller derby league and while it can be very stressful, it can also be rewarding.

What about you, what're you in the middle of?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

scuz posted:

Started a thread in the fitness log cabin, been making OK progress towards gym goals, so that's fun. Teaching myself JavaScript so that I JavaScript myself out of my lovely IT job. The band just finished a weekend-long stint through OK/AR/MO. I'm still running the local men's roller derby league and while it can be very stressful, it can also be rewarding.

What about you, what're you in the middle of?

What kind of band?

My favorite activity currently is learning guitar. Been doing justinguitar.com stuff and learning chords and it's really neat demystifying the instrument.

Anybody out there play? Gimme tips!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

New job (well, few months old, but still new)
Loooots of remote admin, powershell, etc.
Is fun.

Now, quit procrastinating and go write a paper and change the world you smart-fucker hillbilly.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That game is so boring, it never feels like you're doing any damage until the opponent just drops dead because you've scratched enough numbers off them.

if you dont play with friends then yeah it's dumb

but playing with friends and dunking on tryhard nerds is so satisfying

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

What kind of band?

My favorite activity currently is learning guitar. Been doing justinguitar.com stuff and learning chords and it's really neat demystifying the instrument.

It's this band! I'm the bass player :) I tell folks that we're kinda like if Roger Miller and Merle Haggard hung out at CBGB instead of around Memphis.

The way I learned bass was to tab out, by ear, my favorite songs. Technique is easy enough to learn because there's usually a correct/incorrect way to do it but playing your favorite songs is the bestest.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

if you dont play with friends then yeah it's dumb

but playing with friends and dunking on tryhard nerds is so satisfying

Also, don't play Tracer unless you can headshot well, it's real frustrating to blow an entire magazine and not kill an enemy. Try Mei or Anna, they have very consistent damage and will teach you exactly how much health enemies have. And Mei is a monster truck that walks like a man

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

scuz posted:

The way I learned bass was to tab out, by ear, my favorite songs. Technique is easy enough to learn because there's usually a correct/incorrect way to do it but playing your favorite songs is the bestest.
This, but I used other peoples tabs because even after playing guitar 14 years I find it hard to tab by ear.

Im pretty sure I posted this before but my mom won this guitar for me a few months ago. I traded it in for the same model in a 6 string. It sounds really good but I dont play it enough.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

What kind of band?

I play a bit. The best way I find to master a difficult riff or lick like in the solo part of a song is to concentrate on accuracy before speed. If you can play it slowly but accurately then it's just a matter of slowly building up the tempo till you can play along with the recording

Ive used guitar pro which is pretty good tab software that let's you isolate tracks and adjust tempo among other thibgs to play along to and you can download tabs from ultimate-guitar.com

Tho tbh in haven't been playing a lot recently so there may be better/newer software out there but I found it really helpful when learning new songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

In amusing drama one of the writers at TTAC wrote a political diatribe yesterday about SJW's and the like which caused a bit of a backlash. Editor said mea culpa and retracted it; writer takes his ball and leaves as a result.

I can't find an archived copy of it yet.

:allears:

Google's cached copy of Mark Baruth's article is here

Bark has not only quit TTAC in a huff he's been whining on Twitter and Instagram about how unfair the whole thing is:

https://twitter.com/BarkMFoRS/status/823896534110584833

edit: bbcode is hard

FBS fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 24, 2017

• Locked thread