Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I like that TPS clearly just fed this stuff through Google Translate and didn't modify the output at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like to think that ring is now cursed and any foul human who touches it will suffer grave misfortune until such time as it is returned to his family.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well that takes the DR off places to visit. Is it Mad Max world down there?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Wtf, assaulted by multiple people?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/45PedroMartinez/status/823748571258322944

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

(Yordano was still alive after the crash and someone robbed him instead of helping him). gently caress

I hope Hell exists so that robber can go to the worst part of it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

Brett Anderson to the Cubs pending a physical, 1 year 3.5 million if he passes the physical with incentives that can boost the contract to 10 million.

So then it looks like Montgomery isn't a lock for the 5th starter spot then. Either one of them coming out of the pen is good.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Royals are.off the hook for $20 million if toxicology reports come back positive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

The Royals are.off the hook for $20 million if toxicology reports come back positive.

Yeah I saw that. It'd be really nice if they'd kick some money to his daughter either way though.

And by really nice I mean it'd be a shame if they didn't.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Isn't the Royals owner a grinch?

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Your Taint posted:

I was listening to MLB on XM on the way home from work, they claimed that a report stated he was speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, but alcohol was not involved. (Although, i doubt a toxicology report came back yet)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Aparently the Mariners are having an announcement related to Edgar Martinez at 2:30. Some think they'll retire his number (club rules are that someone has to be in the HoF for their number to be retired unless there are "special circumstances"), others think he's stepping down as hitting coach. No idea what it is.

Also, Dae Ho Lee is going back to Korea :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Capt. Sticl posted:

I was listening to MLB on XM on the way home from work, they claimed that a report stated he was speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, but alcohol was not involved. (Although, i doubt a toxicology report came back yet)

How long do those usually take?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Your Taint posted:

Several weeks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paperback Writer posted:

Wtf, assaulted by multiple people?

Did he drive through a house or something? I can't imagine finding a dying guy in a car crash and being mad at him like that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Isn't the Royals owner a grinch?

Oh for sure he is. I'm just hoping. She oughtta be alright anyway really if the people running his estate are cool...but...yeah. I worry about that, a trust fund for some amount from the Glasses for her would be a really nice gesture if they don't end up paying out the 20 million.

Your Taint posted:

I think I saw they expected it in 30 days? Might be a country specific thing for how long these usually take, I have no clue.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Royals wouldn't be on the hook for that amount, right? I'm assuming insurance or something pays in this case?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

It varies but is usually around a month or so. The added wrinkle though is that Ventura died in the DR, and I'm not sure if his toxicology will be done there or if he'll have to get moved back to the US to have it performed, it may be an MLB/insurance thing. In either case I'd expect a bit of extra time tacked on to the usual month or so.

bewbies posted:

The Royals wouldn't be on the hook for that amount, right? I'm assuming insurance or something pays in this case?
Right. The Royals are still on the hook for Ventura's contract if he's dead the same way they'd still have to pay him if he were injured. Usually teams have insurance on player contracts for this sort of thing but the organization would still be on the hook one way or another. However Ventura's contract specifically has a clause in it that prohibits him from drinking and driving, so if he was drunk then Ventura violated the terms of his contract and the Royals can void it and not pay out to his estate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Right. The Royals are still on the hook for Ventura's contract if he's dead the same way they'd still have to pay him if he were injured. Usually teams have insurance on player contracts for this sort of thing but the organization would still be on the hook one way or another. However Ventura's contract specifically has a clause in it that prohibits him from drinking and driving, so if he was drunk then Ventura violated the terms of his contract and the Royals can void it and not pay out to his estate.

That was kind of my point I think....it'd be kind of a dick move to not make the insurance claim if it isn't out of your pocket. Unless the insurance policy voided based on DUI or whatever I guess...

I bet his daughter would rather have dad's WS ring than the pile of cash though.....

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

The Berzerker posted:

69 days til Opening Day

Giggity!

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Schedule tweaks to take place starting in the 2018 season:

- Regular season extended from 183 days to 187 (games stay at 162.)
- Pitchers and catchers report 43 days before opening day instead of 45.
- Other players report 38 days before opening day instead of 40.
- Getaway day start times when either team is travelling or have a home off day must start before 7PM minus any flight time over 2 1/2 hours (so 4h flight time means start time must be 5:30 or earlier) with exceptions for ESPN broadcasts and Rangers home games after June 1st.
- No games may be scheduled before 5PM if either team played the night before in another city starting at 7PM or later, with exceptions for sub-90 minute flights for home openers and holiday weekends. Wrigley Field afternoon games get six exemptions for the year as do rescheduled games involving a sub-90 minute flight.
- One game may be scheduled for the Thursday following the All-Star game each year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

That was kind of my point I think....it'd be kind of a dick move to not make the insurance claim if it isn't out of your pocket. Unless the insurance policy voided based on DUI or whatever I guess...

I bet his daughter would rather have dad's WS ring than the pile of cash though.....

My guess is that if the terms of the contract were violated then insurance would refuse to pay. The Royals could still pay it out of their own pocket if they wanted to, just not sure if they would.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Spoeank posted:

(Yordano was still alive after the crash and someone robbed him instead of helping him). gently caress

This is the worst thing

gently caress

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
A nazgul stole the ring.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Just heard this on the radio while running some errands. What the loving gently caress? Trumps nuclear hellfire can't come soon enough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What would LA want for Puig? The fatc he wants out lowers his value somewhat, right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What would LA want for Puig? The fatc he wants out lowers his value somewhat, right?

Does Puig want out? I thought the Dodgers wanted Puig out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

Schedule tweaks to take place starting in the 2018 season:

- Regular season extended from 183 days to 187 (games stay at 162.)
- Pitchers and catchers report 43 days before opening day instead of 45.
- Other players report 38 days before opening day instead of 40.
- Getaway day start times when either team is travelling or have a home off day must start before 7PM minus any flight time over 2 1/2 hours (so 4h flight time means start time must be 5:30 or earlier) with exceptions for ESPN broadcasts and Rangers home games after June 1st.
- No games may be scheduled before 5PM if either team played the night before in another city starting at 7PM or later, with exceptions for sub-90 minute flights for home openers and holiday weekends. Wrigley Field afternoon games get six exemptions for the year as do rescheduled games involving a sub-90 minute flight.
- One game may be scheduled for the Thursday following the All-Star game each year.

This would never fly but maybe a few scheduled doubleheaders with mandatory off days for each team after? Maybe then we wouldn't be playing baseball into November.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Your Taint posted:

This would never fly but maybe a few scheduled doubleheaders with mandatory off days for each team after? Maybe then we wouldn't be playing baseball into November.

What's the point of playing a doubleheader if you have the next day off?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I would imagine at a certain point Puig would want out just as a reaction, even if it's not to the point of him requesting a trade or anything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sydin posted:

He's said that if he's not the starter, he wants out http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yasiel-puig-wants-starting-job-with-dodgers-or-somewhere-else-202042275.html

I'd like to see Cleveland perform due diligence here. Even if Mike Brantley returns to pre-injury form, the outfield is kinda patchwork until Zimmer is ready, and I think it might have cost them the WS. That and Trevor Bauer sucks. I'd also like to see them kick the tires on Matt Wieters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh, well there you go then. Not sure how much he's worth though yeah, given he's coming off back to back down years at the plate and there's still a stigma attached to him as a "problem player".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

I think it's been rumored that he's ready to go. Sending him to the minors didn't help, I'm guessing.

I would have liked to see him in Atlanta but I think they are going to be gun shy about giving up much for another Dodgers outfielder and the packages the Dodgers have been using him in suggest the price is still high on their end.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

seiferguy posted:

What's the point of playing a doubleheader if you have the next day off?

Two games in two days rather than one in two.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sydin posted:

Oh, well there you go then. Not sure how much he's worth though yeah, given he's coming off back to back down years at the plate and there's still a stigma attached to him as a "problem player".

Actually Puig's in the best mental shape of his life.

Also Giants signed Nick Hundley for backup catcher, finally DFA'ed Ehire Adrianza (even after reaching an Arb deal with him).

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
After all that they just DFA Adrianza. :lol:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's said that if he's not the starter, he wants out http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yasiel-puig-wants-starting-job-with-dodgers-or-somewhere-else-202042275.html

I'd like to see Cleveland perform due diligence here. Even if Mike Brantley returns to pre-injury form, the outfield is kinda patchwork until Zimmer is ready, and I think it might have cost them the WS. That and Trevor Bauer sucks. I'd also like to see them kick the tires on Matt Wieters.
He didn't say, "If I can't start here, trade me so I can start elsewhere"

He said, "I want to start again, here or somewhere else." This isn't much of a demand, considering that people have been hyperventilating over Puig trade rumors for a long time now. It sounded more like a goal of his than a demand. He made the statement in the context of others about how he's worked to slim down and hopefully prevent injury, how he needs to keep focused on his goals, etc. It was less, "I'm awesome so start me or trade me assholes!" and more, "I want to get my poo poo together so that I can earn a starting role again."

It was much less forceful than Andre Ethier's demands to start a year or so ago, when he basically said, "I'm a veteran and an important Dodger who can totally hit lefty pitching, so I deserve to start every day."

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 24, 2017

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Free Kelby.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I don't think my friends master plan of trading Crawford for a #2 level pitcher and starting Ehire is gonna work now

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners announced they're retiring #11 in honor of Edgar :unsmith: (of course, he gets to wear it as hitting coach)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

seiferguy posted:

Mariners announced they're retiring #11 in honor of Edgar :unsmith: (of course, he gets to wear it as hitting coach)

This is awesome.

• Locked thread