Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

fishmech posted:

You'll find that stuff mostly in this thread, though it's about the incoming administration in general: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797481

You'll probably want to just skip ahead to the last like 20 pages.

Perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobym
Feb 12, 2015

tobym posted:

Who knows what this game was?

It came in a pack of games for Windows 95/98, all on one CD.
It was a top-down RPG, not isometric. Your character was small on the screen compared to something like Zelda.
It looked pretty bad but better than something like ZZT.
I think there was a static display on the right side of the screen that showed maybe your stats or something, the left side was the world.
There were NPCs in the world and you could talk to them.
I think your character was blond, or maybe some other character was.
I don't think it was randomly generated, but it's possible.
I think it was underground, but there were trees and water, it was wide open spaces, but underground. I think there were different floors or levels.
The title was long and clumsy, like at least four words. I think there was alliteration, and at least one of the words was probably made up.

It was probably a pretty awful game, but having a half-memory of it makes me a bit crazy.

I found it after like three hours of combing through lists of old games, it was "The Great Ultizurkian Underland". There are barely even any screenshots out there, but from the title it couldn't be much else. Thanks for the suggestions though!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xaintrailles posted:

The complaint process looks like more trouble than it's worth but telling their legal department I've filed one seems like an ideal mix of convenience and dickishness, ty.

Filing a complaint might get the person who sent it fired fwiw. I lost a job for something similar some years back. Misdialed a fax number when sending some medical records and got canned for it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What does "catholic" mean as an adjective outside of belonging to the catholic faith? Context was "She was catholic in criticising playwrights" as she'd given bad reviews to not just Miller but also a bunch of other people. So like inclusive or rigorous or consistent?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It means universal.

The Catholic Church gets its name from the fact that anyone was allowed to join.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

alnilam posted:

The Catholic Church gets its name from the fact that anyone was allowed to join.

Not an expert by any means, but this is probably not true. The original use of Greek "katholikos" referred simply to the international Christian community. The meaning later shifted to "orthodox" (as opposed to heretical), and the Catholic Church's name comes from this.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Another dumb 'what does this word mean' question but what does 'nonalienation' mean? Most online dictionaries return with 'the failure to alienate' which to me is kind of a lousy definition. Does this word also mean 'the state or feeling of welcomed and included despite another's intentions'? Or am I thinking too much about it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

value-brand cereal posted:

Another dumb 'what does this word mean' question but what does 'nonalienation' mean? Most online dictionaries return with 'the failure to alienate' which to me is kind of a lousy definition. Does this word also mean 'the state or feeling of welcomed and included despite another's intentions'? Or am I thinking too much about it?

I don't think there's any inherent implication that someone is trying to make you feel unwelcome. I'm not sure what context you would actually use that word in though.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Context is everything with weird barely used words like that one. My guess it would be most commonly used in business or possibly legal jargon. If it's legal, ask a lawyer to help. If it's business jargon, your only real recourse is to get clarification from the person who wrote/approved it, because business people misuse uncommon words all the time in my experience(this is often a good way to tell if someone is not a good business person to work with- if they are too full of themselves no one will ever correct them so they will go one misusing terminology).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
In MPC-HC, is there a way to boost the volume of videos that are badly mastered and too quiet?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

value-brand cereal posted:

I think it's usually used to indicate a midpoint between alienation and engagement. If I see a sign on a clubhouse that says "No Girls Allowed," I might experience alienation. If I see a sign on a clubhouse that says "Ladies Welcome," I might experience engagement. Clubhouse with no sign = non-alienation, but also non-engagement.

At least, that's how it's usually used in the education sector.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there any way to order google search results by date? I know you can search for stuff from the past month or year, but what I really need is to be able to order the results by year, descending.

Edit: bonus points if you know a way to do it using DuckDuckGo

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 22, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For the sake of a lovely laptop, is using Discord and Chrome at the same time more battery-efficient than Discord and Firefox, since in the former case they both run off the same framework, or is it just the same as whatever the usual difference between the two browsers is?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Not an expert by any means, but this is probably not true. The original use of Greek "katholikos" referred simply to the international Christian community. The meaning later shifted to "orthodox" (as opposed to heretical), and the Catholic Church's name comes from this.

That's sort of what i meant - it was not restricted to an ethnicity like many religious groups were.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlphaKretin posted:

For the sake of a lovely laptop, is using Discord and Chrome at the same time more battery-efficient than Discord and Firefox, since in the former case they both run off the same framework

No. Discord doesn't share the actual resources with either browser, even though they do use a similar rendering engine as Chrome.

Firefox will be slightly more battery efficient to use at the same time, since it uses slightly less CPU power, but it's unlikely to make a difference to your battery life which you can notice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there any way to order google search results by date? I know you can search for stuff from the past month or year, but what I really need is to be able to order the results by year, descending.

I don't think so. A simple google search could yield millions of results so if you threw out relevancy and ordered it simply by date indexed you would have nothing but lovely results up front with a few relevant links mixed in wherever.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4514256?hl=en

That might work for you but it's sorta hard to tell if the results will be useful for the reasons above. In their control panel I added Google search, went to the advanced Search Feature settings, deleted the relevancy key, and then just used the search on the right.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 22, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks. I understand the difficulty- Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.

Is there a way to search newspaper and magazine articles and order the results by date that doesn't require visiting each individual site?

I've been searching various news topics and been frustrated by google's suggestions, which are inevitably a couple of the most recent articles followed by a random hodge podge of articles that presumably got a lot of hits.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you just want news sources then sure, a service like LexisNexis or ProQuest can do this. They are usually tied to university services or cost money though.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Thanks. I understand the difficulty- Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.

Is there a way to search newspaper and magazine articles and order the results by date that doesn't require visiting each individual site?

I've been searching various news topics and been frustrated by google's suggestions, which are inevitably a couple of the most recent articles followed by a random hodge podge of articles that presumably got a lot of hits.
Google News can sort by date and do custom ranges. You're better off convincing someone with university access to proquest or LexisNexis to let you use their login.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
If you have a library card in a largish city, your library may have a LexisNexis or ProQuest license for patrons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it normal for the softer underside of your forearm to be more sensitive to electricity than other parts of your body? When I'm charging stuff and my forearm leans on it I can feel a very mild shock. This doesn't happen with any other part of my body afaik. I'm an idiot so I even tried with my tongue and nothing. but the second I touch it with my forearm I can feel a very mild, consistent shocking sting.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

In MPC-HC, is there a way to boost the volume of videos that are badly mastered and too quiet?

Phone-posting so I can't verify the specifics, but in Settings under Audio there should be a check box for "Normalization" or something like that.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Got this poo poo bike off craigslist and I want to buy one of those things to turn it into a stationary indoor bike. Anybody know if this'll work, like will those trainers work with an old bike with no gears like this one? If so, any recommendations? Cheaper is better.

http://imgur.com/a/enPlc

Thanks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thehandtruck posted:

Got this poo poo bike off craigslist and I want to buy one of those things to turn it into a stationary indoor bike. Anybody know if this'll work, like will those trainers work with an old bike with no gears like this one? If so, any recommendations? Cheaper is better.

http://imgur.com/a/enPlc

Thanks

It should work on any of the simple ones, but you might find you can't train effectively if you can't change up gears. Some of the trainer things can compensate by adjusting resistance on the equipment outside the bike, of course.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Is it normal for the softer underside of your forearm to be more sensitive to electricity than other parts of your body? When I'm charging stuff and my forearm leans on it I can feel a very mild shock. This doesn't happen with any other part of my body afaik. I'm an idiot so I even tried with my tongue and nothing. but the second I touch it with my forearm I can feel a very mild, consistent shocking sting.

First off, make sure none of your charging stuff has any metal exposed other than screws during the charging process. If it does, throw it away.

If the cables are safe then honestly you probably have a nerve issue where your forearms just freak out a bit from contact with things. It's also marginally possible you have a fear of electricity that is manifesting itself with physical symptoms (they've done tests with people afraid of wifi, and they legitimately do get rashes, but only if they think they are being exposed to wifi, regardless of whether or not there is wifi. They do not get those rashes if exposed to wifi when they believe there is no wifi). Either way seeing a doctor might be a good thing.

If you legitimately think you're supersensitive to electrical charge, do a test! Blindfold yourself and put on ear protection earmuffs and earplugs and have two friends help you do a test to see if you can determine which power cord is energized. One friend controls the power out of sight of you two, and records himself on his phone doing it so you can get timestamps of your callouts. The second friend is also blindfolded with earmuffs but also ear buds underneath signalling them to poke you every 15 seconds or so, prompting you to test the cables and call out the results so the camera can hear it. This should let you know if you can detect power in a charging cable without external influences. If the experiment tells you you can, then talk to someone at a local college or university about your experiment. It's probable that you did something wrong, and they might be able to figure it out. If you didn't do anything wrong, they'll probably help you run it again, and if it does turn out you can sense current or voltage potential, you can help advance our understanding of how we work.

I know the experiment sounds like a lot of work, but it's really rewarding to have a question and be able to get an answer through your own merits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not the cable it is the devices themselves, i.e. My iphone and vape pen (yeah yeah) which both have metal shells. Sometimes I'll lean on them when they are charging on my bed, which is when I feel a little bit of a shock.

I should point out that I've only noticed this with one outlet. Which is a USB that I plug into a lamp on my night stand.

It's definitely not in my head I am 100% sure of that. It's just a weird little thing I noticed. It's not even really painful, it's just noticeable. But it is there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Maybe that part of your arm is just a little sweatier and thus more conductive? Anyway, that means your USB outlet has some improper grounding going on, so if you can get it replaced it'll probably stop the issue.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIg3Lb7AiQs

Are the drums actually providing the beat used in the song or it it post-processing magic? It don't look like the shirtless aryan slave drummers are hitting them with a lot of force.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Theres an ipod behind the curtain. Basically think of them as epic drum guys.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Thanks for the suggestions for my dry skin earlier. Vitamin E oil seems to be the winner.

Next question:

Mosquitos love me. They loving LOVE me. I am the person you bring with you on a picnic to lure them away from you. Last summer I went for a one hour walk and then counted the mosquito bites on my clothed legs. There was over a hundred. I don't live in the jungle. I live in the God drat prairies. They turn into huge itchy bumps and I look awful.

I've tried almost everything. Covered myself in every chemical know to man. Changed soaps, deodorants, clothing.

Do those mosquito patches work at all?

I'm just glad I don't live in an area where mosquito borne diseases are common.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Deep woods OFF? I found that if you have actual DEET you're fine, everything else is barely better than just yelling at the bugs. Go to a hunting store and ask about the little tubes of DEET paste, maybe?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Permethrine in yo clothes

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jyrraeth posted:

Deep woods OFF? I found that if you have actual DEET you're fine, everything else is barely better than just yelling at the bugs. Go to a hunting store and ask about the little tubes of DEET paste, maybe?

Seconded, don't gently caress around with any of those <25% DEET sprays, which is most of them. 90%+ is what you'll find in deep woods OFF.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Is there a thread of gif makers somewhere? I want to have an avatar made from an existing gif.

Side note, I'm pretty sure the requirements listed on the new avatar page are out of date; I've seen avatars greater than 150px on a side.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Thanks I will try drinking enough DEET products that I will start sweating it and always be covered. I was hoping not to be a walking chemical factory but gently caress it.

:(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm going to get a suit custom-tailored for the first time ever. What should I ask about / for in particular? Is there anything I should know as a matter of preference rather than something that has a uniform "correct" answer? Should I just trust my tailor to know what to do?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm going to get a suit custom-tailored for the first time ever. What should I ask about / for in particular? Is there anything I should know as a matter of preference rather than something that has a uniform "correct" answer? Should I just trust my tailor to know what to do?

Know your preferred breaks on the pants.

The tailor will have you in the suit and then go around pinning it how it "should" look. Once you/they are happy with it, you'll strip down and leave your suit for them to work on, casting you naked into the freezing streets.

e: never try to resize the shoulders

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 25, 2017

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

El Jeffe posted:

Is there a thread of gif makers somewhere? I want to have an avatar made from an existing gif.

Side note, I'm pretty sure the requirements listed on the new avatar page are out of date; I've seen avatars greater than 150px on a side.

People in the PYF .gif thread have been known to avatarize .gifs on request.

Mods will sometimes give out rule-breaking avatars, the store page should be accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

betamax hipster posted:

People in the PYF .gif thread have been known to avatarize .gifs on request.

Mods will sometimes give out rule-breaking avatars, the store page should be accurate.

Ah that explains it. Thanks!