Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrMPH posted:

Thanks! It was a great discovery.

Its unfortunate and Id rather not get in the middle with some of the other more ethical suggestions in the thread. Ill keep digging and appreciate the input.

IIRC there's a few levels of locks at play here:

- the standard passcode
- iCloud activation lock
- device blacklisting

The standard passcode is the "1234" passcode or fingerprint used to unlock the phone. Apple doesn't know the password and they have no way of knowing or getting it. Google "Apple terrorist iPhone unlock" and see for yourself. This is for privacy.

The activation lock is tied directly with Apple's servers. You can essentially tell Apple that that phone belongs to the iCloud account "imathief@gmail.com" and to require it to sign in with that iCloud account in order to activate the phone. There is no way to disable this without the proper iCloud credentials. Even if you wiped the phone clean, the moment you try to activate it it'll ask for iCloud credentials. This is to prevent theft.

And finally I'm pretty sure that Apple/the carriers have a way to straight up ban the device from accessing their services full stop if someone reports their phone attached to their account is stolen.

In other words you're totally hosed but if you manage then I think the NSA has a job for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

In other words you're totally hosed but if you manage then I think the NSA has a job for you.

Not any more, Donald Trump has ordered a hiring freeze.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Question Mark Mound posted:

My iPhone 6's battery has been a bit problematic lately, e.g. dying at around half full, until I plug it in again for a few seconds then I can get another 2 or 3 hours out of it. Is an iOS restore likely to help or should I bring it straight to the Apple Store and pay for the battery replacement?

That's usually hardware. This is the same issue plaguing the 6s as well. Have been some reports they may extend the replacement program to the 6 but Genius Bar may take pity and replace as is.

They'll tell you to restore, of course but that type of issue is almost always a bad battery.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you ask them to will apple just replace your battery for the standard fee, even if they claim nothing's wrong? They've been giving me the runaround for months now regarding my 6s+, the battery life has gone to poo poo ever since 10.1.1 and their engineers are claiming that just over 2 hours is "within guidelines" :confused:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you ask them to will apple just replace your battery for the standard fee, even if they claim nothing's wrong? They've been giving me the runaround for months now regarding my 6s+, the battery life has gone to poo poo ever since 10.1.1 and their engineers are claiming that just over 2 hours is "within guidelines" :confused:

If Apple won't, I'm sure some local repair shop will. If the warranty is up, you've probably got nothing to lose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The result the Apple engineers told me to try was restore my phone and not use third party apps...
:confused:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I guess I'll go with a restore tonight since the only single free slot available for a Genius Bar appointment this week is not one I can make it to.

They need to start letting you book up to two weeks in advance rather than having to stalk the website like a hawk to try and get in for a good time slot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No one's bothered upgrading to 10.2.1?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

No one's bothered upgrading to 10.2.1?
It's just bug fixes, so what is there to talk about?

The real question is: what's in the 10.3 beta that came out today?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
"Theatre mode" :crossarms:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

New iPad Pro is going to be a television.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its so you can text at the movies and not bother other people....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Theatre mode and APFS seem to be the big things.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Maybe it's like airplane mode except that stuff still comes through?

I know I'd like a function to disable the raise to wake feature on my Apple Watch just because I worry that it's disturbing other moviegoers :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe it's like airplane mode except that stuff still comes through?

I know I'd like a function to disable the raise to wake feature on my Apple Watch just because I worry that it's disturbing other moviegoers :ohdear:
...it's in Settings on your Watch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a lightning + 3.5mm jack dongle that doesn't involve me spinning the wheel of lovely 3rd party Amazon sellers to see if I get something that actually works, or is my only good option the $40 belkin lightning splitter + my apple dongle?

I just need to charge my phone and use my good normal headphones at the same time on a long plane trip and am not going to buy wireless headphones.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I just switched cable providers and I can't figure out how to log out of the old one and sign in on the new one in the new TV app. Or do I still have to do it in every app individually? We are on directv now so we should be able to do single sign on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

...it's in Settings on your Watch.

Three layers deep...

A toggle would be nice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

... is not present

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/01/all-the-major-new-additions-in-the-ios-10-3-and-macos-10-12-4-betas/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Its so you can text at the movies and not bother other people....

It's called the power button

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's called the power button

Not disagreeing with you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Genuinely hope that it never sees the light of day (or uh... cinema)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just teach everyone braille in grade school and push that dynamic bump technology that people are working on with lcd screens. Text inside your pocket!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Just teach everyone braille in grade school and push that dynamic bump technology that people are working on with lcd screens. Text inside your pocket!

Gives a whole new meaning to the term pocket pool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Pffft. Just teach Morse code and tap it on the screen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I just switched cable providers and I can't figure out how to log out of the old one and sign in on the new one in the new TV app. Or do I still have to do it in every app individually? We are on directv now so we should be able to do single sign on.
From my experience, individually.

Also from my experience, single sign on does absolutely nothing. Downloaded apps, even after setting my SSO provider, still require the same login as before SSO (some of them even ask if they can use your provider info in a pop up, but tapping Allow does jack squat).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there a lightning + 3.5mm jack dongle that doesn't involve me spinning the wheel of lovely 3rd party Amazon sellers to see if I get something that actually works, or is my only good option the $40 belkin lightning splitter + my apple dongle?

I just need to charge my phone and use my good normal headphones at the same time on a long plane trip and am not going to buy wireless headphones.

Yay for quoting myself, but the answer appears to only be the Belkin dongle.

Also, these updates for the Fuze case from Indiegogo are loving incredible:

quote:

A solution has been found for the sensitive button problem. We suggest putting a 1 mm thick piece of paper on the bumper below the volume buttons. Please go to this link to see pictures: http://imgur.com/a/5k16z.

Another issue that has come up is battery drainage. This is due to the chip inside Fuze needing power to run the DAC (digital to analog converter). We tested several phones by starting them at 100% battery, and then going all the way down until empty. Our results show that there is a battery drain, but it should be no more than 2% per hour.  Please see the table below for the test results.

quote:

Due to not having MFi certification:
Microphone and inline controls do not work.
The Lightning port will only allow for charging. Syncing and audio transfer do not work.
An error message might pop up.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuze-cases-bringing-back-the-audio-jack-iphone-headphones#/updates

Weedle
May 31, 2006

You'd think eventually people would stop buying not-yet-existent products based on a render and a couple of paragraphs of promises.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

quote:

What's new in iOS 10.3:

- There's a new "Find My AirPods" tool to help users locate lost AirPods.
- SiriKit can be used to pay bills, check on the status of payments, and schedule future rides.
- The weather icon in the Maps app includes 3D Touch to show hourly forecasts.
- CarPlay includes new shortcuts for launching recently used apps.
- CarPlay's Maps now features EV charging station locations.
- HomeKit supports programmable light switches.
- Conversation View in the Mail app features navigation improvements.
- When installing iOS 10.3, it will update the file system to Apple File System (APFS), so it's important to make a backup before updating.
http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/24/apple-seeds-first-beta-of-ios-10-3/

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis

The beta feels at least twice as fast after the update. I am pretty sure it has to do with APFS:

• Loading the local space usage in Settings almost instantly now, where it took minutes to show the Photos App size before
  • Apps like Tweetbot, that rely heavy on local caching feel a lot snappier
  • Browsing large PDFs in iBooks without any loading artifacts

And that are just the first few impressions.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I had the same question, and there were no answers, so I bought this as a semi informed shot in the dark.

2in1 Lightning Adapter for iPhone 7/7 Plus And Headphone Adapter ,IDStore Adapter to 3.5mm Headphone Jack And Lightning To Charger, Charge Cable with Aux Adapter Supports Your Headphone Volume Change. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAJHWG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VkdIybNZEJV83

It's Working as advertised, which is more than I can say for any of the other ones.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zosologist posted:

I had the same question, and there were no answers, so I bought this as a semi informed shot in the dark.

2in1 Lightning Adapter for iPhone 7/7 Plus And Headphone Adapter ,IDStore Adapter to 3.5mm Headphone Jack And Lightning To Charger, Charge Cable with Aux Adapter Supports Your Headphone Volume Change. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAJHWG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VkdIybNZEJV83

It's Working as advertised, which is more than I can say for any of the other ones.
How long have you had/used it? A lot of others seem like they crap out after a while.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can you take a stolen "lost" iphone to the apple store and say hey get this back to the registered owner? I mean you can take a wallet to the cops but I think the phone would just sit in unclaimed property for a year then get sold as salvage. Apple should have a mailing address like my Kroger card where you just toss it in a mail box and it gets mailed to the key ring owner eventually.

Edit: I added my work phone number to the medical id in health so that someone could call me if they want to get a ransom for my stolen phone. I doubt the cops do anything but toss it in a box though with 1,000 flip phones from the last 15 years.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 25, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Apple will do it, but the police might.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't hurt to try an Apple Store.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think Apple will do it, but the police might.

I've had customers tell me they can't do it at the Apple store. When I've worked for the cell carriers, I used to try and look up lost phones people would bring in, but if the phone was wiped or locked, and the person had already switched to a new phone, there wasn't much I could do.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zosologist posted:

Thanks, I didn't see that one, but all the others I looked at seemed to be a wasteland of "lol it worked fine for a day" or "it works, but with constant white noise" reviews.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

How long have you had/used it? A lot of others seem like they crap out after a while.

I've only had it for about a week now, but if anything happens I'll update you guys.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Had a strange error backing up my phone to my Mac - it basically said the backup was corrupted. Never saw it do that before.

I simply did the backup again, only difference was I was listening to Erasure on YouTube at 1.25x in the background and it worked OK that time. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Did you poop people know that the flashlight switch on the flashlight button in CC actually moves on/off?