Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

EmmyOk posted:

I am finally working my way through my back log of books, games, anime, manga, films, and shows this year and I'm watching the first season of Baki now. Baki is eating loads in preparation for fighting the Yasha ape which is a policy I can really get behind.

I love that match, and Baki's life-or-death training montage with brain coffee was hysterical. I think he eats something ridiculous like 300-400 pounds of food.

Ytlaya posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean literal chi, but rather "chi" as a catch-all referring to the same element that makes strong people immune to weak peoples' attacks, even if the weak person is stabbing them with a sword. If dude A is supposed to be a lot stronger than dude B, he'll generally take less damage from dude B's attacks.

It's all good. I agree about the concept of "dude A takes less damage from dude B," that's why I brought up the ridiculous Baki vs. Chiharu Shiba match. In that fight, Baki's face appeared to be "stronger" than Chiharu's fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
shiba only has his japanese grit going for him tho. the fight showed that baki has even stronger spirit, and is stronger in body than that scrub shiba

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jedah posted:

I love that match, and Baki's life-or-death training montage with brain coffee was hysterical. I think he eats something ridiculous like 300-400 pounds of food.

It's all good. I agree about the concept of "dude A takes less damage from dude B," that's why I brought up the ridiculous Baki vs. Chiharu Shiba match. In that fight, Baki's face appeared to be "stronger" than Chiharu's fist.

Remember that time that Retsu cooked up an entire feast for his bff Baki

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Baki drinking flat cola

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I am finally working my way through my back log of books, games, anime, manga, films, and shows this year and I'm watching the first season of Baki now. Baki is eating loads in preparation for fighting the Yasha ape which is a policy I can really get behind.

Eating loads? I guess its high in protein.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Baki drinking flat cola

"wow, he's drinking it with no bubbles!"

"that's the true mark of a pro, you fools"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Baki you're poisoned... quick, drink 10 gallons of sugar water.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Remember that time that Retsu cooked up an entire feast for his bff Baki

:discourse:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 24, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

Eating loads? I guess its high in protein.

Oh dear :saddowns: I am very curious to see what the line is and how backwards swan diving off a cliff let's you knock the head off a mystical ape but I'm excited to find out.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

I am very curious to see what the line is and how backwards swan diving off a cliff let's you knock the head off a mystical ape but I'm excited to find out.

Baki learns the concentration of death, which is basically the manga's version of going into bullet time. Also, brain coffee.

During the battle with Yasha Ape, Baki learns what a genuine life-or-death battle is like. Yujiro battled a Yasha Ape in his younger years, and was satisfied with its power.

Wild Horses posted:

shiba only has his japanese grit going for him tho. the fight showed that baki has even stronger spirit, and is stronger in body than that scrub shiba

:omarcomin:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 25, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I googled this Yasha ape (I haven't read earlier Baki) and found the following:

quote:

It was revealed that Yujiro killed the Yasha Ape's wife. In return, Baki returned the skull of his wife as a sign of respect. Likewise, he gave Baki one of his fangs as a gift. It's shown that it is a docile creature and only fights to survive. As Baki departs, it reveals that he was raising three children on his own. Later, it is revealed that he is murdered by Yujiro, who then showed his head to Baki.

Yuujirou is such a shithead. I hope that this series ends in Baki literally killing him instead of coming to some mutual respect (like happened in his fight where they used their imaginations to eat soup or whatever).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Check out the Baki fighting game for the PS2 if you've never heard of it. Its ridiculously faithful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdugj6F3YQ

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

:captainpop:

That's awesome.

Yujiro was a playable character in Garouden Breakblow: Fist or Twist. Naturally, he was stupidly overpowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3inQzjPUio

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jedah posted:

:captainpop:

That's awesome.

Yujiro was a playable character in Garouden Breakblow: Fist or Twist. Naturally, he was stupidly overpowered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3inQzjPUio

That's badass how he has a bunch of different stances.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Yasha Ape had no answer for the great human abilities of smashing dick kicks and eye gouging. Also I thought Yuujiro could beat up the whole US Army how did one Ape nearly kill him or is Ando just a big baby?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

The Yasha Ape had no answer for the great human abilities of smashing dick kicks and eye gouging. Also I thought Yuujiro could beat up the whole US Army how did one Ape nearly kill him or is Ando just a big baby?

:hai: Dick kicks are a staple of Baki.

Present day Yujiro can beat up an entire US Army, yeah. But when Yujiro was younger, he was happy with the strength of the Yasha Ape, since it was stronger than a bear, and had mastered a unique martial art based on biting and ransacking.

And you're right on the money, Ando was mostly just a stepping stone to bigger things for Baki. At the end of the day, Baki's trip to the woods served its purpose, but he pretty much trained himself, while Ando just kinda got owned.

I think another purpose of the whole arc is to show the major personality differences between Yujiro and Baki. Yujiro is bloodthirsty and remorseless, while Baki honors the dead, and shows humility to the Yasha Ape. Similar to Goku, Baki befriends his opponents, and ends up hanging out with 'em.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 26, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want a detailed presentation of how exactly Yuujirou would fight the US Army. Like what does he do about helicopters or guided missiles?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

I want a detailed presentation of how exactly Yuujirou would fight the US Army. Like what does he do about helicopters or guided missiles?

I'll give a more detailed explanation when I'm not on the Awful app. My first phone post. :)

Yujiro vs. the giant elephant at the beginning of Son of Ogre is a good example of military force being inferior to muscle power.

Basically a bunch of helicopters, tanks, troops, and artillery try to kill a giant mutant elephant, and it all fails miserably. Then, Yujiro steps up, and annihilates the elephant with no problem.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Baki's grandpa boarded an Aircraft carrier and beat the poo poo out of everyone inside.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Rough translations for Baki Dou 142 are out, courtesy of onepenguin0.

"He had challenged me, so I cut him. Nothing more, nothing less." The detective tried to arrest Musashi and drew his gun. As soon as that happened, he was already dead.

Plutonis posted:

Baki's grandpa boarded an Aircraft carrier and beat the poo poo out of everyone inside.

Can I spam this whole scene in the thread?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Here's the giant elephant that stomped on the modern military:

However, the same elephant was easily defeated by Yujiro:

Later on, Soldier Dad tells his son about the experience:

possibly NSFW, excessive gore:

Muscle power triumphs over military power.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I don't think I posted this yet. Baki Dou Chapter 131 is out.

Musashi flashback and part of the Motobe vs. Musashi fight.

Also, the wonderful Trump meets Yujiro chapter, is out, too.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Well, nobody has complained about my Baki image spamming yet, but I can't imagine y'all want me to post like fifty images.

Here's the part of Son of Ogre where Yuichiro takes on the American military. In the next chapter, he clears out the USS Iowa, as Plutonis mentioned.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jedah posted:

I don't think I posted this yet. Baki Dou Chapter 131 is out.

Musashi flashback and part of the Motobe vs. Musashi fight.

Also, the wonderful Trump meets Yujiro chapter, is out, too.

i love the trump chapter so much

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Plutonis posted:

i love the trump chapter so much

:agreed:

And somehow K. Flaps predicted this, which makes it even Greater:

K. Flaps posted:

Trump peeing his pants when confronted by the might of the Ogre :nignog:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chiharu Shiba vs. Baki's Cockroach Dash:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what chapter is that?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Its when he starts dating right? Could be prisoners arc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Its when he starts dating right? Could be prisoners arc

Nah I think it's from Son of Ogre, between the fight with Pickle and the fight with Yujiro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats definitely not new grappler baki. Its been a while since i read Son of Ogre though. For some reason I thought it was from the original but I guess thats just what was in the anime?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Baki-Son-Of-Ogre/Ch-232--Chiharu-s-Flow?id=206267

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

what chapter is that?

It happened in Chapter 235. The fight is pretty good, I especially love the panel of Baki floating in mid-air before launching.

drat Plutonis, you're quick. :tipshat: Should we make a Kengan Ashura thread? You'd mentioned it earlier, and that series owns. It's like Grappler Baki with capitalism battles.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 29, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its getting enough posts in the shounen thread to be worth it i think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fast work :captainpop: i have no memory of that at all. probably because i was reading weekly at that point and baki massively benefits from being binge read

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

fast work :captainpop: i have no memory of that at all. probably because i was reading weekly at that point and baki massively benefits from being binge read

I agree, and it was awesome when you guys introduced me to Kengan Ashura, since I got to binge read it all at once.

But if you'd never read Baki before, I'd probably suggest jumping straight into New Grappler Baki, since it's been completely translated, and the plot is pretty straight forward. Even if you don't know who anybody is, they set things up within the first few chapters. You can binge read it and it's damned good stuff.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Jedah posted:

I agree, and it was awesome when you guys introduced me to Kengan Ashura, since I got to binge read it all at once.

But if you'd never read Baki before, I'd probably suggest jumping straight into New Grappler Baki, since it's been completely translated, and the plot is pretty straight forward. Even if you don't know who anybody is, they set things up within the first few chapters. You can binge read it and it's damned good stuff.

I agree. I started with new grappler as well, and I was able to pick up on everything pretty quick in terms of story, setting, and characters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

baki picking the fight with oliva is my favourite bit of the whole series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I asked Flaps to send me some badass panels from Kengan Ashua to make an OP just like this thread's.