Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

TTAC has become increasingly unpalatable for me. It feels like their staff have caught the Doug DeMuro self-importance bug.

Ah, found the cache.

I'll spoiler the whole thing so people don't need to read it if they don't want to.

quote:

On Friday, the United States of America inaugurated her 45th president. On Saturday, middle-class white women, in a march organized by a Sharia law supporter and funded by George Soros, descended on the major metropolitan areas of that same country to complain about having to pay more for razors than men do. Since I stopped shaving several years ago, I have a hard time identifying with their struggle, but I respect the way they did it — that is, by making knitted hats that resemble genitalia and putting them on children, and also by leaving thousands of pounds of litter in their wake.

And while I struggle to see what rights I have as a man that a woman does not have in this country, I am certain there will come a day in the future where drivers of non-autonomous vehicles are persecuted just as much as middle-class white women are. Maybe more. 

It’s not hard to predict. In fact, I’m not even sure it’s called a prediction when something is a certainty. We’re already being bombarded with statistics about how much safer self-driving vehicles will be than those driven by emotional, distracted, and flawed meatbags.

And, thanks to President Trump’s inauguration, we now know what happens when Social Justice Warriors wrap their hands around the throat of freedom. They seem to like fire — like, a lot. This woman’s hair was set on fire. This Lincoln MKT limo was set ablaze. This poor man was assaulted just for putting out a fire. This man was assaulted for, well, being a Nazi. But when the media determines who’s a Nazi and who isn’t, we’ve effectively said violence against anybody who has an idea that’s outside the socially acceptable norm can be justified and perhaps even celebrated.

I used to think the SJWs would just try to shame people into giving up their cars, but they’ve gone a bit violent as of late. If you can be punched just for wearing a hat and holding a fire extinguisher, my God, what will they do to you when you’re carbon-fouling the environment? They won’t stand up to you and debate you honestly. No, they’ll wear hoodies and bandanas over their faces and set your car on fire in the middle of the night. Or they’ll surround you and vandalize your car while you sit hopelessly prone inside.

And the media? They’ll give it the same amount of attention they gave these pathetic little trash can fires on Inauguration Day, because it supports the same narrative they have pushed on us ever since we saw that little Google car rolling around — that autonomous cars are the future, the absolute, unstoppable, undeniable truth. That we must all give up our right to drive ourselves.

Of course, the inevitable gloating will occur, along with pictures showing how empty the streets have become in comparison with the time of the personal car. Never mind that driving a car will subject you to Random Acts of Violence — it will be shown as proof that we all really wanted to give up driving, anyway, with our inefficient, unnecessary personal cars giving way to the future.

We’ll be told not only is access to autonomous cars a “right,” but that we’re trampling on the “rights” of others by endangering them with our rolling, polluting, deathmobiles. So of course it’s okay to destroy them. Just like it’s okay to punch Nazis.

What must be done in order to protect our rights to drive? Alex Roy has suggested an NRA-type of lobbying organization. But I think it needs to go a step further. The NRA is powerful, but they couldn’t get McCain elected. No, it took a grassroots movement of people in flyover states to overturn the Clinton oligarchy. Still, those types of people, while exceptionally good at getting out to vote, aren’t especially good at getting the message out to the public.

I envision a march — but not your everyday march, full of paid protesters and bored housewives. No, I picture a march of Challengers, Corvettes, Mustangs, and Camaros. Of Wranglers and FJ Cruisers. Of M3s and AMGs. Of Silverados and Sierras. Of Suburbans and Expeditions. Hell, even Priuses and Volts. A line of cars, as far as the eye can see, turning laps of Manhattan and Washington and Chicago. And we’ll do it the classy way. We won’t block bus stops or form human walls in front of subway stations. No, we’ll take people to work. We’ll pick up kids from school. We’ll do those videos with hot girls in bikinis in the front seat. Okay, so we’ll only be mildly classy.

But this is the only form of discourse the media recognizes now. To sane people of generations past, the real protest occurred on Election Day, when people went to the ballots to support a new type of movement in this country. However, as far as the media’s concerned, voting is so passe. It’s all about marching and shouting in people’s faces and “making our voices heard.”

So let’s rev ’em up, and let everybody hear us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Ah, found the cache.

I'll spoiler the whole thing so people don't need to read it if they don't want to.

IMO you've really got to browse the comments to get a sense of the entire shitshow.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cage posted:

This, but I used other peoples tabs because even after playing guitar 14 years I find it hard to tab by ear.

Im pretty sure I posted this before but my mom won this guitar for me a few months ago. I traded it in for the same model in a 6 string. It sounds really good but I dont play it enough.

I think i would have kept the 12 string imo unless you've already got one

I don't think I've ever posted my little friend itt

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ah, found the cache.

Just filled out my "LIEBERAL MEDIA" bingo card :stonklol:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fridge corn posted:

Slick axe. My acoustic/electric before this was over 10 years old and it was time to get a new one so I wanted the Taylor to be my main guitar, and I didn't want a 12 string to be my main guitar.

My dumb collection:

Some cheap violin I got on ebay strictly for wall decoration/Takamine acoustic.electric/Johnson acoustic (1st guitar)/Schecter Tempest Custom

My 16 year old punk phase guitar. Samick.

Old 60-70s danelectro knockoff with a lipstick pickup, which sounds great. Using a popsicle stick as a bridge/6 string Taylor I traded in/Kawaii electric

I used to have a bass but I dont know what happened to it. Not pictured: mandolin.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 24, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just opened my bottle of Scapa Skiren single malt whisky, that I bought for ~$25 the other day (normal price is ~$60), and wow!

I was expecting it to be OK, but this is drat good stuff. It's got this absolutely wonderful crisp green apple thing going on that I'm just completely in love with. drat good stuff.

And I have to say, I love the modern style of the bottle and box, as well. None of this over-wrought tartan "Scottish heritage" bullshit that a lot of other distilleries like to wrap themselves in. Just nice and simple.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

the truth about cars posted:

a bunch of edgy 15 year old crybabby poo poo ostensibly castigating other people for caring too much

Site has always been trash, lmao that this loser quit his job in a fit of pique because the people who cared too much called his parents and this unspecial non-snowflake couldn't take the heat.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Siochain posted:

New job (well, few months old, but still new)
Loooots of remote admin, powershell, etc.
Is fun.

Now, quit procrastinating and go write a paper and change the world you smart-fucker hillbilly.

lmao never not procrastinate. I've found that having multiple poo poo to do means you procrastinate on one thing by doing the other thing. If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

fridge corn posted:

Cage posted:

Slick axe. My acoustic/electric before this was over 10 years old and it was time to get a new one so I wanted the Taylor to be my main guitar, and I didn't want a 12 string to be my main guitar.

My dumb collection:

Some cheap violin I got on ebay strictly for wall decoration/Takamine acoustic.electric/Johnson acoustic (1st guitar)/Schecter Tempest Custom

Excellent. corn that guitar you have looks super pretty

The wife got an acoustic and an electric (both free from different scallywags lmao) We just hung them up last night:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

FBS posted:

IMO you've really got to browse the comments to get a sense of the entire shitshow.

Hopefully working link to that, for those who dare

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

It's.. Beautiful. In all honesty this past week has given me so much entertainment, meanwhile I'm hanging out here in some swim trunks and 80's mirror shades sitting poolside in a lounge chair next to an umbrella watching the bombs drop. Oh? Yes, another drink please. Thank you. This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pro read, if only so you can sympathize with "Bark M" being condescended to by all the commenters explaining that he's got a toddler's understanding of the world and his demands to enforce that as truth by the comments he makes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goober Peas posted:

TTAC has become increasingly unpalatable for me. It feels like their staff have caught the Doug DeMuro self-importance bug.

TTAC has always been coplete and utter poo poo

Ah, found the cache.

Holy crap what the gently caress is wrong with that idiot? And the comments.....!

I'm so glad AI continues to be a sane car forum

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

lmao never not procrastinate. I've found that having multiple poo poo to do means you procrastinate on one thing by doing the other thing. If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

Dude, I live to procrastinate. But I'll get back to that later.

In all seriousness, I know that feeling. I'm master-class. My problem is, I just find new things to procrastinate, and never finish anything. Well, just not enough.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pro read, if only so you can sympathize with "Bark M" being condescended to by all the commenters explaining that he's got a toddler's understanding of the world and his demands to enforce that as truth by the comments he makes.

Also amusing given his brother's comment in the retraction article.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's weird, 85% of the people in the world who have the yugest most luxurious penis, sports pedigree, programming bona fides and hot-girl-gettingness among their grammar school contemporaries go on to college, meet other people who are as smart as them and then that gives them some sense of perspective about their own perception of their abilities.

A lot of that 85% then go on to meet counterparts with exactly the same quantity or more of success in the lower leagues but who went to an actually academically impressive college that isn't Baruth State - which gives that original successful kid from the tiny pond a little MORE perspective, and then a lucky tiny percentage of the "Average Person who Was Super Good At Pitching Baseballs When He Was 14" from that original demographic go on to meet the Truly Impressive People in the world, the ones who run fortune 500 companies successfully, write epic musical classics, create Singer automobiles - you know, do more impressive things than write mildly informed shitposts on the internet about cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can someone run down real quick if the 55" Vizio is better than the 55" Samsung?: http://arstechnica.com/staff/2017/01/dealmaster-dont-miss-out-before-the-big-game-here-are-a-bunch-of-4k-tv-deals/
I'm pretty familiar with Samsung's SmartTV UI, but don't know if Vizio offers better value at that price.
Is that even a good price for 4k and HDR?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

In my experience, people that proclaim themselves to be the smartest person in the room are the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Can someone run down real quick if the 55" Vizio is better than the 55" Samsung?: http://arstechnica.com/staff/2017/01/dealmaster-dont-miss-out-before-the-big-game-here-are-a-bunch-of-4k-tv-deals/
I'm pretty familiar with Samsung's SmartTV UI, but don't know if Vizio offers better value at that price.

Looks like Rtings likes the Vizio a bit better, scroll down to the Under 1000 section

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jack got his start writing as a several time banned troll on vwvortex (fourspeedfox, virgangfuch, etc). To be dair, he was the best spoken troll on the internet.
Also, TTAC jack who doug demouro is ripping off, but without the obvious right wing politics.
I was facebook friends with him for a long time (from before he was writing), but he keep going more and more right wing jackass.
His brother is less talented version on him.

Edit: Jack did auto-x a w12 passat and got it to lift a wheel, so he gets some credit for that. He's book smart and good at cars and bikes, but not a whole lot of sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Looks like Rtings likes the Vizio a bit better, scroll down to the Under 1000 section

Dammit, I just upsold myself to the 55" KS8000.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's weird, 85% of the people in the world who have the yugest most luxurious penis, sports pedigree, programming bona fides and hot-girl-gettingness among their grammar school contemporaries go on to college, meet other people who are as smart as them and then that gives them some sense of perspective about their own perception of their abilities.

A lot of that 85% then go on to meet counterparts with exactly the same quantity or more of success in the lower leagues but who went to an actually academically impressive college that isn't Baruth State - which gives that original successful kid from the tiny pond a little MORE perspective, and then a lucky tiny percentage of the "Average Person who Was Super Good At Pitching Baseballs When He Was 14" from that original demographic go on to meet the Truly Impressive People in the world, the ones who run fortune 500 companies successfully, write epic musical classics, create Singer automobiles - you know, do more impressive things than write mildly informed shitposts on the internet about cars.

the gently caress are you on about

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

I am almost done building my new RC rock crawler. I am just finishing masking the body and getting ready for paint and will be doing somewhat of a take on dazzle camo. I am also trying to figure out what billet bead lock wheels I am going to use. I think I have narrowed it down to the Method 105's in gunmetal grey

I have a set of Method 101 wheels on my rock racer that are pretty neat

I am also getting my work station set up a little better. I got a new 27 inch iMac that is pretty excellent. It will be nice to have for making videos for work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Prior to the tragedy I kept myself busy in December by organizing my idiotically large and waste of money comic collection so I could begin purging it from my life.
I also started pulled the bumper off the Miata so I can give vinyl wrapping another go.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know if this has changed in the last year but Samsung used to stick whatever panel they could get into their TVs and use the same model number. The panels ranged from really good Samsung and LG units to some junk Chinese specials. Only way to make sure you got a good one was to check the codes on the label against a decoder/list online. I will never buy a Samsung TV online for that reason. Actually I'll probably never buy anything Samsung anymore

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Galler posted:

The panels ranged from really good Samsung and LG units to some junk Chinese specials. Only way to make sure you got a good one was to check the codes on the label against a decoder/list online.

Wow. Looks like you can bring up a diagnostic on the TV to check which panel is in it now?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I just got a new coffee maker and learned a lesson: despite the flashing "EMPTY COFFEE FILTER" message, it's probably best to give it half an hour to cool down first.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All his comments are loving cringeworthy, what a pair of arseholes his parents raised. Shoulda smacked those little turds upside the head some more.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

the gently caress are you on about

He's copying how Brauth writes. By taking a huge poo poo on the keyboard

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

drywalling my house with less skill than a hungover minimum wage plasterer

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

drywalling my house with less skill than a hungover minimum wage plasterer

The good news is that it always sands down.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My microwave just blew up and this has led me to re-discover that hot chocolate made in a pan on the stove is a poo poo load better than hot chocolate made using the microwave.

Somehow a microwave running while producing sparks, flames and smoke out the side doesn't make anything trip in my fusebox, but turning on the light in my extension when the air is damp (so pretty much all the time in winter in the UK) makes the main breaker trip almost every single time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

the level where you get the glove/bracelet that lets you slip between timelines so you can just dance around any and all danger and snap necks until you've had your fill.
Apparently the developers had a type of game jam where they came up with ideas for cool setpieces and levels and then basically made them and strung them all together with a loose kinda story. The factory level was particularly great, climbing up to the top with everything tilted sideways really messed with my head. Also EVA 8 shotgun 4 lyfe...

That mechanic was fun, for sure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

My microwave just blew up and this has led me to re-discover that hot chocolate made in a pan on the stove is a poo poo load better than hot chocolate made using the microwave.

Somehow a microwave running while producing sparks, flames and smoke out the side doesn't make anything trip in my fusebox, but turning on the light in my extension when the air is damp (so pretty much all the time in winter in the UK) makes the main breaker trip almost every single time.

Hot chocolate from the stove is better. And you microwave was still pulling less than the rated current - it was just doing spectacular things with that current!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm welding! :science:
These are my first few attempts ever

I'm loving terrible!!!! And I'm going to weld a new bung onto my exhaust and fabricate some basic mounts in my engine compartment :downs:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

I'm welding! :science:
These are my first few attempts ever

I'm loving terrible!!!! And I'm going to weld a new bung onto my exhaust and fabricate some basic mounts in my engine compartment :downs:

I'm in the same place as you welding, just started learning, I need more scrap metal to learn on.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

slothrop posted:

What up worry buddy :same:

I wish there was a healthy way to turn my brain off at the end of the day

Mines cos about 3 months ago my missus had a pilonidal sinus cut out and we thought it was all good. And in the last three days it's become painful and inflamed and started to weep evil again. If it's failed then it's surgery again, with another 6-8 week recovery period again.

I'm worried cos I've got about 4 more weeks before my mortgage goes from a construction loan to a normal loan and we have to start to pay principal as well as interest and the repayment goes up. Missus is a contract teacher and no work = no money and if she can't work for 6-8 weeks then my wage alone won't cover both the mortgage payment and fuel to get to work and back.

And that's not taking into account the bills. Here's hoping it's just an infection or something and not a new sinus forming, cos it's killing me seeing her in so much pain and being so worried and anxious about it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm in the same place as you welding, just started learning, I need more scrap metal to learn on.

I have a big bag of nails that I'm playing with, but it's just really hard to see what I'm doing with that dark screen in front of my eyes

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Excuse me while I go use that wonderful Psuedoephedrine for my hosed sinuses. Only issue is once it kicks in the snot comes out.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

loving around with graphite and grafana trying to make a kickass monitoring system at work.

We need to talk :science:

Adiabatic posted:

Calligraphy! Saw an awesome writing gif a few months ago so I picked up a pen for the first time in years. I've got gold ink! It's satisfying to send someone a handmade thankyou note and at least two of my friends kept their Christmas gift tags from me this year.

It helps that I went to a country school where they still taught with fountain pen.

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

ugh dude I just picked up the guitar recently and it's really made me wish I went orchestra in highschool instead of band. Srtinged instruments are so calming and soothing! Do you have any recordings?

Unfortunately I do not. I don't really play gigs or anything, just play for myself for fun.

Since others posted pictures of their guitars, I'll share some of my Violin:

The top is Italian Spruce and the back is Romanian Maple. Pictures don't do enough justice for the top, it has much more of what they call "bearclaw."

I have a viola from the same maker but I don't have any pictures on hand.

• Locked thread