Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I apologize for downplaying the intent and strategy that went into her act.

I was mostly trying to make a joke premised around the image of her lifting the bus over her head like the Hulk and tossing it down the street.

I apologise because I try to not give serious :eng101: responses to clear silly offhand posts but sometimes it still manages to go over my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm in Massachusetts and my Senator has made it her mission to fight the Trump administration every step of the way.

we really need to get Charlie Baker the gently caress outta here in 2018 tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm in Massachusetts and my Senator has made it her mission to fight the Trump administration every step of the way.

Warren just voted to confirm Ben Carson :smith:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm glad Mel Gibson could be welcomed back into the Hollywood fold, it's about time such an upstanding citizen receives some recognition for his work

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the only thing that'll get me to watch Patriot's Day is the inevitable Chapo episode about it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't think I've seen any of those movies.

I hate living in a town that doesn't show any movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think the only thing that'll get me to watch Patriot's Day is the inevitable Chapo episode about it.

I can't fathom watching a movie just for Chapo. The film series is great, but I got better movies to watch than London Has Fallen or Reign Over Me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problems with XLIC have little to do with 9/11. But then I'm assuming you haven't seen that one either. It's the Day The Clown Cried meme, where the actual film is certainly fairly average, and people are really just taking the opportunity to joke about the holocaust.

Patriot's Day is, again, a film akin to Terror At The Mall. It also functions along the same lines as United 93, or as another actually-good version of Zero Dark Thirty.

Peter Berg's United 93 sounds pretty good to me.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Shocked Handmaiden didn't get a foreign picture nom, one of the best in the year. Also, its score is really good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can't fathom watching a movie just for Chapo. The film series is great, but I got better movies to watch than London Has Fallen or Reign Over Me.

Not for nothin', London Has Fallen is thoroughly worth watching.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Olympus/London Has Fallen are pretty dumb and fun

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

"Drive It Like You Stole It" not being up for best original song is criminal. :colbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Peter Berg's United 93 sounds pretty good to me.

I'd say that's actually Deepwater Horizon. United 93 is very much using genre conventions to contextualize the events, so you end up a very streamlined horror film taking pace in a single microcosmic location.

The comparison of Patriots Day to United 93 has more to do with the tone of the renactments, the cinematography, and so-on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

weekly font posted:

"Drive It Like You Stole It" not being up for best original song is criminal. :colbert:

I just saw that movie the other day and the song's been stuck in my head!
Wife even pulled it up on Spotify because she kept hearing me hum it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

weekly font posted:

Sing Street kinda sucked, but I don't disagree that it should have gotten a nomination.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Death By The Blues posted:

Shocked Handmaiden didn't get a foreign picture nom, one of the best in the year. Also, its score is really good.
Wow South Korea has never made it onto the final foreign Oscar ballot?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm five minutes into The Wraith and it's the kind of Maximum 80's movie I thought only existed in bad parody

It's a movie I stumbled upon once and it's the sort of thing where I kept wondering how I had never heard of it before.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Slugworth posted:

As a man, I dream enviously of the spoils of pregnancy. I mean, can you name one drat thing about pregnancy that doesn't sound incredible? I dare only to dream of the day that an 8 lb creature tears me apart from genital to anus.

for me its the needing to piss constantly

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I just learned that the original German name for The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle, which literally translates to Every man for himself and God against everyone, and now I'm sad they didn't keep it for the English translation because that's one hell of a title.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Really happy to see all of the Hell or High Water nominations, even if I know it won't win.

Pretty funny that Your Name didn't get nominated for Best Animated, even though it's now the highest grossing Japanese animated movie ever and they specifically gave it a theatrical run so it could be nominated.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The only nomination that rose an eyebrow for me is the single one The Lobster managed to get

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

I love it but it's a little trashy for the Oscar crowd.

glam rock hamhock posted:

The only nomination that rose an eyebrow for me is the single one The Lobster managed to get

The guy I follow for Oscar predictions called that one and I didn't think he was actually gonna be right.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

White House Down > Olympus Has Fallen. Gimme C-Tates and Jamie Foxx as Fauxbama over Gerard Butler and Aaron Eckhart on autopilot any day.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

those movies are fuckin garbage

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gently caress Whitey posted:

those movies are fuckin garbage

Agreed, they're also dumb and fun

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Agreed, they're also dumb and fun

nope

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
how do you gently caress up a die hard clone in the white house

answer you make olympus has fallen

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just learned that the original German name for The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle, which literally translates to Every man for himself and God against everyone, and now I'm sad they didn't keep it for the English translation because that's one hell of a title.
I kept it as that transliterated title when I listed it on my notepad film log

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Enigma of Kaspar Hausar is a stunning movie. One of the few with the power to make me cry almost every single time.

I prefer the "Enigma" title. The other one is a cool title for something, but doesn't really feel like it fits the movie.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Enigma of Kaspar Hausar is a stunning movie. One of the few with the power to make me cry almost every single time.

I prefer the "Enigma" title. The other one is a cool title for something, but doesn't really feel like it fits the movie.

hell of an album title

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
But yea I totally be one of those and admit, wasn't crazy about La-La Land. Moonlight was goooooooooooood though

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad to see Hacksaw Ridge got so many noms. That movie kind of came and went without much fanfare, which is a shame because it's one of the best war movies from the past decade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was worried Moonlight wouldn't live up to the hype, but I really liked it. probably wouldn't crack my top 5 for the year, but would make my top 10, and I'd be fine with seeing it win everything it's nominated for (although if it was up to me, Janelle Monae would be nominated instead of Naomie Harris)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was worried Moonlight wouldn't live up to the hype, but I really liked it. probably wouldn't crack my top 5 for the year, but would make my top 10, and I'd be fine with seeing it win everything it's nominated for (although if it was up to me, Janelle Monae would be nominated instead of Naomie Harris)

Janelle Monae was great and between Moonlight and Hidden Figures she needs to be in more movies and is also my new crush.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Lobster needed more love too. Only one nomination? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Grendels Dad posted:

As good a moment as any to mention that my girlfriend is pregnant again. She has successfully made it through the "feel sick all day" stage and is now in the "extremely anxious, and are these stretch marks?!" stage.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

GET OUT OF UR ECHO CHAMBER MAAAAN

As a white person I think....

Snak posted:

Sit-ins, in general, were really great and effective because they were totally non-violent but were disruptive as hell.

Herp Derp, no one was standing in the street!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Speaking of which. Get Out is getting great minor buzz.

O and so conservatives now care about the environment (ignores Trump signing an executive order to start the Dakota Pipeline).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Janelle Monae was great and between Moonlight and Hidden Figures she needs to be in more movies and is also my new crush.

That one wordless reaction shot she shoots Mahershala Ali in the big climactic scene of the first act was maybe my favorite moment in the movie.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Snak posted:

Sit-ins, in general, were really great and effective because they were totally non-violent but were disruptive as hell.

Lemme just sit here that'll teach Nazis that exterminating an entire race is wrong

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That one wordless reaction shot she shoots Mahershala Ali in the big climactic scene of the first act was maybe my favorite moment in the movie.

Yep, that was great. Ali was fantastic too. It's also sad that the role of Chiron was split up between three people because at the very least Trevante Rhodes did some heartbreaking and subtle work as he adult Chiron.

Edit: the moment after he takes the call from Kevin is what I keep thinking back to.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 24, 2017

• Locked thread