Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Oh, ill post facebook screengrabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Oh, ill post facebook screengrabs.

Please don't.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
As a man, I dream enviously of the spoils of pregnancy. I mean, can you name one drat thing about pregnancy that doesn't sound incredible? I dare only to dream of the day that an 8 lb creature tears me apart from genital to anus.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I know there's a lot to complain about with the Oscar noms having just come out, but Villeneuve, Gibson, Chazelle, Lonergan, and Jenkins is an awesome directing group (I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet so I'm not going to judge against it).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Slugworth posted:

As a man, I dream enviously of the spoils of pregnancy. I mean, can you name one drat thing about pregnancy that doesn't sound incredible? I dare only to dream of the day that an 8 lb creature tears me apart from genital to anus.

As good a moment as any to mention that my girlfriend is pregnant again. She has successfully made it through the "feel sick all day" stage and is now in the "extremely anxious, and are these stretch marks?!" stage.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

As good a moment as any to mention that my girlfriend is pregnant again. She has successfully made it through the "feel sick all day" stage and is now in the "extremely anxious, and are these stretch marks?!" stage.

Congratulations!

Re Oscar noms, all great calls and I'm delighted to see Moonlight included along Arrival. Not sure about Gibson. Hacksaw Ridge is hokey as gently caress until the fighting starts, which is when it comes alive.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
How much of the La La Land hype is caused by it being one of the few feel-good movies in a not-feel-good time? I mean it's a good movie but it is NOT 14 Oscars good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

I think I prefer Deepwater Horizon, but, yeah, it's a pretty raw experience. What would you say was your favorite scene [in Patriot's Day]?

There are like six or seven great scenes, but I love how Berg gives MIT's Cheetah 2 robot a prolonged cameo, to emphasize 'the ability to run' as something exceedingly rare and valuable - simultaneously drawing another implicit connection to the military-industrial-entertainment/educational complex (the robot was funded by DARPA, and the film incorporates promotional youtube clips). Throughout the film, there's an emphasis on people inhabiting a system that is beyond control or even comprehension - which explains the bombers' conspiracy theories without sugarcoating how moronic they are.

'Raw' is definitely the word for it. It's like if Terror At The Mall incorporated brief reenactments instead of supplementing the surveillance footage with interviews.

Deepwater Horizon is solid, but more 'traditional', I guess? It does a lot to fit the historical event within the coordinates of a sci-fi action movie. Like, the film is explicitly framed as a nightmare - half Alien prequel and half top-quality bayhem. It's a lot like 13 Hours, in that 'it's just like a movie' is pushed to the limit. It helps that you have Malkovich and Whalberg coming in from Transformers 3 and 4, almost playing the same characters. Berg even throws in a brutal Titanic reference after the cheekier one in Battleship.

Popelmon posted:

How much of the La La Land hype is caused by it being one of the few feel-good movies in a not-feel-good time? I mean it's a good movie but it is NOT 14 Oscars good.

It's not even feel-good. The movie's a real downer.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 24, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
just found out they're making a sicario spinoff. wh-w-why

sicario cinematic universe was not something i expected to learn about today

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Please don't.

GET OUT OF UR ECHO CHAMBER MAAAAN

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There are like six or seven great scenes, but I love how Berg gives MIT's Cheetah 2 robot a prolonged cameo, to emphasize 'the ability to run' as something exceedingly rare and valuable - simultaneously drawing another implicit connection to the military-industrial-entertainment/educational complex (the robot was funded by DARPA, and the film incorporates promotional youtube clips). Throughout the film, there's an emphasis on people inhabiting a system that is beyond control or even comprehension - which explains the bombers' conspiracy theories without sugarcoating how moronic they are.

'Raw' is definitely the word for it. It's like if Terror At The Mall incorporated brief reenactments instead of supplementing the surveillance footage with interviews.

I had completely forgotten the Cheetah scene. I don't know how it didn't dawn on me that it overlaps the military-etc. industrial complex with the 'banal' multiculture of Mass. just as explicitly as literally showing Tsarnaev's roommates and Sean Collier's off-campus buddies playing the exact same video game. And then because of the association, everything that the Tsarnaevs do later in the film plays out like they're just 'playing the game.' Again, it's straight Columbine-Doom imagery.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I was reading Worlds of Hurt last week and this song is mentioned in the first story. I decided to sit down and listen to it last night and its fuckin beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laO7Zi6Zsm8

Im an uncultured dog and know nothing about this type of music, so if any of yall have any recs it'd be appreciated

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Every person from Boston: Patriots Day is exploitative trash taking advantage of our tragedy and just about every one of us was deeply affected by this, not to mention the number of people who survived walking around on prosthetics who can't even go to the movies without seeing that loving trailer with Mr. Hollywood Wahlberg playing last action hero on the single worst day of their lives.

SMG: Well the extended cameo of the MIT robot is thematically linked to the...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Whalberg's composite character spends the film wandering around with a radio and a flashlight, trying to make sense of his traumatic experience, always showing up too late to do anything besides interview other witnesses. He doesn't get an action scene.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Im an uncultured dog and know nothing about this type of music, so if any of yall have any recs it'd be appreciated

It's probably not for everyone, but I listen to this regularly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMG-t6XGHU
It brings me to a special, often much-needed, place of calmness and balance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TrixRabbi posted:

Every person from Boston: Patriots Day is exploitative trash taking advantage of our tragedy and just about every one of us was deeply affected by this, not to mention the number of people who survived walking around on prosthetics who can't even go to the movies without seeing that loving trailer with Mr. Hollywood Wahlberg playing last action hero on the single worst day of their lives.

So no one in Boston saw Patriots Day.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Look, just think of the bombing as impromptu viral marketing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Look, just think of the bombing as impromptu viral marketing.
I'm just laughing at this wikipedia header

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

So no one in Boston saw Patriots Day.

I honestly can't tell if you mean this as a diss on the filmmakers or the people of Boston.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

glam rock hamhock posted:

I honestly can't tell if you mean this as a diss on the filmmakers or the people of Boston.

It's a diss against the idea of Boston as a mono-culture which simultaneously treats Patriots Day as exploitation cinema, yet simultaneously uses it to their own cultural and emotional healing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

I wonder what they thought of American Sniper.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I hear Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a smash hit with 9/11 victims.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I think I just an anxiety attack out of no where with no idea what caused it other than maybe a lack of sleep. I'm kind of am anxious person in general am Sundance makes me especially neighbors but today is a pretty smooth day with nothing upcoming that I have to work about

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just had a pretty bad fall off my bike and I'm loving sore. I don't think anything is broken, just bruised and grazed. Ouch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's like Final Destination in here all of a sudden.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
SMG falls off the pole and breaks his neck.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Coaaab posted:

I'm just laughing at this wikipedia header

If it wasn't for the year, I would have guessed this is people in Boston attacking Mooninites after the bombing because they are confused with Muslims.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

If it wasn't for the year, I would have guessed this is people in Boston attacking Mooninites after the bombing because they are confused with Muslims.

MOON GOD?!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hear Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a smash hit with 9/11 victims.

The problems with XLIC have little to do with 9/11. But then I'm assuming you haven't seen that one either. It's the Day The Clown Cried meme, where the actual film is certainly fairly average, and people are really just taking the opportunity to joke about the holocaust.

Patriot's Day is, again, a film akin to Terror At The Mall. It also functions along the same lines as United 93, or as another actually-good version of Zero Dark Thirty.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
SMG, in theory you'll love Get Out more than anyone else here, though I'm also probably wrong about that for reasons I can't foresee. Still, it's a horror movie that's almost completely about "woke" "post-racial" liberals

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Vimeo of the day is The Burkittsville 7, which I've only discovered 'cause it was brought up in horror thread: https://vimeo.com/59334058

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GET OUT OF UR ECHO CHAMBER MAAAAN

well i mean she was a tired, tiny little 40+ year old woman, i think we can forgive her for not committing totally to revolutionary violence

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
Didn't MLK hold training sessions to build the discipline it takes to adhere to non-violence? Not responding to violence is hard.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
State response to civil disobedience has evolved greatly from the 1960's.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well i mean she was a tired, tiny little 40+ year old woman, i think we can forgive her for not committing totally to revolutionary violence

Actually it was a planned act of defiance, which doesn't at all take away from it, but it was originally a high school girl that would not give up her seat but the civil rights movement didn't want to make her the center of something like that so they had Parks, who was willing to bear what come down upon her, much more publically do the same thing. I'm not taking away but the whole thing was not Parks being tired

The main problem with that meme image is the dumb as hell idea that non-violent means not disruptive and also that the non-violent part was the only part of the civil rights movement that had any effect

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TrixRabbi posted:

Doesn't this logic (ignoring your weird presumption about the lock step groupthink of people from Boston) also render all war movies or movies based on a real, traumatic event equally unacceptable for being "exploitative trash"? Far more people were traumatized by the Vietnam War, are Apocalypse Now and Platoon and Full Metsl Jacket etc cynically "taking advantage of [a] tragedy"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sit-ins, in general, were really great and effective because they were totally non-violent but were disruptive as hell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually it was a planned act of defiance, which doesn't at all take away from it, but it was originally a high school girl that would not give up her seat but the civil rights movement didn't want to make her the center of something like that so they had Parks, who was willing to bear what come down upon her, much more publically do the same thing. I'm not taking away but the whole thing was not Parks being tired

The main problem with that meme image is the dumb as hell idea that non-violent means not disruptive and also that the non-violent part was the only part of the civil rights movement that had any effect

I apologize for downplaying the intent and strategy that went into her act.

I was mostly trying to make a joke premised around the image of her lifting the bus over her head like the Hulk and tossing it down the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Anonymous Robot posted:

State response to civil disobedience has evolved greatly from the 1960's.

In some places they've even decided that disobedients are "the real racists": https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/louisiana-police-chief-pushes-blue-lives-matter-law-to-make-resisting-arrest-a-felony-hate-crime/

• Locked thread