Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I finally found a high emission signal source. Bunch of core dynamics composites - not what I was looking for but I'll take it for later.

I can see the proto material hunt for my grade 5 efficient burst lasers taking some time. Got multiple sizes on multiple ships that all need a turn at the altar of RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's an Asp decent for passengers? I know it won't hold a bunch, but at least to get started?

Anything special I need for a build?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Hey I finally found a high emission signal source. Bunch of core dynamics composites - not what I was looking for but I'll take it for later.

I can see the proto material hunt for my grade 5 efficient burst lasers taking some time. Got multiple sizes on multiple ships that all need a turn at the altar of RNG.

This seems odd because I was basically swimming in proto radiators (had like 20-30+ before I had to start ignoring them completely) not too many months ago while I was trying to find other stuff in high emissions sources.

You definitely have the right kind of system state and major faction, right?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Krycek posted:

In the discord, there is a name of a system for fed rank grinding. Lebedev is the station name and it has 2 fed factions there. They will spawn a bunch of data courier missions to take one system over. The station where you turn them in will give you courier missions back to Lebedev. All giving fed rank.

How about you share the name for those not interested in your discord

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zigmidge posted:

How about you share the name for those not interested in your discord

Nah

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Got interdicted by the aliens yeah! It's an awesome cutscene.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

yeah bro can't forget about opsec :roflolmao:

turbonerds

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Diamond Frog Discord is cool and good. Only the most handsome space men and elegant space women fly with the frogs.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's an Asp decent for passengers? I know it won't hold a bunch, but at least to get started?

Anything special I need for a build?

I've been using my Asp Explorer with a 6C First class cabin and have been doing well with it and a 5A fuel scoop.
I have a 42.6 LY jump range and have just been doing tourist missions out of Lave and Vamm.

Pioneer(32%) and hoping to be Elite by next week. Sooner if I can get more of the 3-system visit missions worth 18 million. Had one this morning that just took 30 minutes to run.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Turmoil posted:

I've been using my Asp Explorer with a 6C First class cabin and have been doing well with it and a 5A fuel scoop.
I have a 42.6 LY jump range and have just been doing tourist missions out of Lave and Vamm.

Pioneer(32%) and hoping to be Elite by next week. Sooner if I can get more of the 3-system visit missions worth 18 million. Had one this morning that just took 30 minutes to run.

I reverse those two, with a bigger fuel scoop and a grade 5 business-class cabin. It works well for long distance passenger missions, toting explorers across the danged galaxy.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

coupedeville posted:

yeah bro can't forget about opsec :roflolmao:

turbonerds

opsec is for nerds

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Trustworthy posted:

I reverse those two, with a bigger fuel scoop and a grade 5 business-class cabin. It works well for long distance passenger missions, toting explorers across the danged galaxy.

I was doing it that way until I got a large paying group of 10. The 5A does a good enough job of topping the tank off when I keep it over 500 going around the sun.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Imma be a super spaceship hipster and make a special cool kids only Discord that you can only get access to after joining the first aforementioned Discord. :radcat:

Or we could :justpost: this poo poo here instead, a thread in an internet forum that is already both dead and gay and locked behind a paywall.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Siets posted:

Imma be a super spaceship hipster and make a special cool kids only Discord that you can only get access to after joining the first aforementioned Discord. :radcat:

Or we could :justpost: this poo poo here instead, a thread in an internet forum that is already both dead and gay and locked behind a paywall.

Nah.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Siets posted:

But then we'd miss out on petulant meltdowns from lovely posters!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hey here's a reason, the drat system is col sector then a bunch of numbers. He may not know the system but know of it. The other reason is that fed rank grind areas disappear based on the bgs, that system will only work in boom and expansion states. One everyone uses is still 17 draconis then there's Cochrane works which is just skimmer kill missions all day when it functions.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Are you guys talking about this place? https://eddb.io/system/33555

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
According to Inara :

Ross 671
CPD-28 332
LHS 1617
Col 285 Sector YF-M c8-8
Khered
Ngobriglai

Are the only systems that have a station named Lebedev and two federation factions.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Kramjacks posted:

Are you guys talking about this place? https://eddb.io/system/33555

They are.

Asproigerosis posted:

Erm, how do I grind federation rank so I can get sweet box ships?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5jflij/how_i_obtained_the_last_4_ranks_needed_for_the/

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 24, 2017

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Morningwoodpecker posted:

According to Inara :

Ross 671
CPD-28 332
LHS 1617
Col 285 Sector YF-M c8-8
Khered
Ngobriglai

Are the only systems that have a station named Lebedev and two federation factions.

Stop, you're ruining their clever recruitment strategy. :ohdear:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This is Raven, the package is in the open. The bears dance at midnight.

I repeat. This is Raven, the package is in the open. The bears dance at midnight.

Anyway, greetings my fellow loyal goons.

I've got my Python FSD modded and Dirty Tuned. I stuck some low level efficient weapons on my multi cannons and I'm looking to avoid grinding any engineers for a while.

I figured I would take a crack at getting my Pilots Fed ranks up a bit. What is a good way to get my Combat or Exploration ranks up?

Do the new passenger missions count as exploration?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
:cripes:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

timn posted:

This seems odd because I was basically swimming in proto radiators (had like 20-30+ before I had to start ignoring them completely) not too many months ago while I was trying to find other stuff in high emissions sources.

You definitely have the right kind of system state and major faction, right?

I've been scouring multiple large population boom systems with varying economies. Really it just seems like high emission sources are simply spawning very rarely because I overwhelmingly find degraded ones.

Once upon a time I'd have been very happy with that result because I'm overflowing with various other components so it's kind of funny how RNG goes.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

DancingShade posted:

I've been scouring multiple large population boom systems with varying economies. Really it just seems like high emission sources are simply spawning very rarely because I overwhelmingly find degraded ones.

Once upon a time I'd have been very happy with that result because I'm overflowing with various other components so it's kind of funny how RNG goes.

I think the number of signal sources might vary with population. Try systems with at least a few million people, see if you have better luck then.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Xae posted:

Do the new passenger missions count as exploration?

If they are transport, they are merchant

if they are 'sight seeing'/tourism, they're exploration.

You can tell by the 'rank' of the mission. The type of rank they show off is the type that will be boosted once you complete it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Bummer. FWIW I've also read that certain materials are supposed to be specific to certain major factions, like Core Dynamics Composites being specific to Fed systems. My personal crackpot theory is that those faction-specific materials may act to 'dilute' the drop table when you're looking for non-specific stuff like the proto radiators. So I'd stick to independent systems if you aren't doing so already.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chrysophylax posted:

I think the number of signal sources might vary with population. Try systems with at least a few million people, see if you have better luck then.

I've been doing it in billion plus.

timn posted:

I've also read that certain materials are supposed to be specific to certain major factions, like Core Dynamics Composites being specific to Fed systems. My personal crackpot theory is that those faction-specific materials may act to 'dilute' the drop table when you're looking for non-specific stuff like the proto radiators. So I'd stick to independent systems if you aren't doing so already.

Makes sense, time to move systems again!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Independant system: two high emissions in a row. Hooray!

More core dynamics composites and... more core dynamics composites.

Ok I'm just going to move to Alliance powerplay space from now on while I do this.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Huh, maybe it's the allegiance of the controlling minor faction, or maybe what I saw on Inara is just outright wrong. It would definitely be interesting to know if you end up in a system where you suddenly see nothing but proto radiators like I was previously. It feels like there has to be something behind it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I got this game a while ago. Managed to get into a Cobra Mark III with 500k in cash. I came back last weekend to the game and I'm at a loss at what to do and I can't really find a guide...

I don't mind doing some fedex quests but I'm totally lost with all these factions/groups/powerplay/whatever so I don't know where I should even begin. Can I just go to a random station, pick a few missions close by, do them and repeat or should I aim for specific factions/groups to get some special bonus or rewards?

I like flying around but the total lack of guidance makes me thing that ANYTHING I'm attempting is useless/the wrong thing to do and it's sucking my will to play... It's weird. I mean I found a nice mission yesterday close by. A Mostly Harmless pirate to kill and when I get there I notice it says the dude is only there like 15 mins in the whole day and gently caress me if I can't even kill stuff when I have some free time to play.

I'm in a private session with a friend who played 2 hours with me last weekend and hosed off to Kerbal Space Program so I'm not sure if he'll be pissed if I decide to join some Goons somewhere. You guys must be in the middle of loving nowhere with everyone at war against Goons and killing newbies like me (like in EVE...) when we approach your base system? I'm self conscious about my English as well...

So basically I think I need to find some guide/info to let me know I'm at least not wasting my time because it's seems such a huge time investment to do anything in this game so I don't want to wake up one morning and find out I need to start from scratch because I went for the wrong Faction or something.

Is there a way for me to have 2 ships and spawn between my current station where I would park my ship and Goon space (with a second ship) so I can easily come back to my safety blanket with my friend?

Hemish fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 25, 2017

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Go to the pgs thread and we can fill you in. We have a support level for people new to the game with a few guides from several of our players. Discord takes some getting used to but we just chat and chill out most of the time, we aren't even goons and really don't kos unless you are marked it. And no one will care about your English trust me. I am a key point that English means nothing in domains frogs because lol I suck at it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Go to the pgs thread and we can fill you in. We have a support level for people new to the game with a few guides from several of our players. Discord takes some getting used to but we just chat and chill out most of the time, we aren't even goons and really don't kos unless you are marked it. And no one will care about your English trust me. I am a key point that English means nothing in domains frogs because lol I suck at it.
This game has a huge euro playerbase as well so a diverse playerbase is to be expected. Hell, they let us Australians in and lord knows we can't speak a language that anyone else can understand at the best of times :v:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mercurius posted:

This game has a huge euro playerbase as well so a diverse playerbase is to be expected. Hell, they let us Australians in and lord knows we can't speak a language that anyone else can understand at the best of times :v:

I'm French Canadian and that seems to grate a lot of people the wrong way. I'm not fully bilingual so I get to feel like a retard all the time when speaking.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hemish posted:

I'm French Canadian and that seems to grate a lot of people the wrong way. I'm not fully bilingual so I get to feel like a retard all the time when speaking.
It's okay, we have a bunch of Canadians along with several French frogs (:haw:) so I'm sure you guys can have fun insulting the differences in each others' French instead of worrying about English :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:rolleye:
Look at all of these nerds who don't realize that splintering off into sub-communities with their own byzantine personality cults is half the fun of SA.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

timn posted:

Huh, maybe it's the allegiance of the controlling minor faction, or maybe what I saw on Inara is just outright wrong. It would definitely be interesting to know if you end up in a system where you suddenly see nothing but proto radiators like I was previously. It feels like there has to be something behind it.

Well I did one more high emission before I left that system. Exact same contents as the previous 3.

Skipped town and flew to Kuk. First one I entered gave me 4x proto heat radiators (so 12 total) which is exactly what I was after.

Both systems were high tech. I think the last one wasn't a boom economy but I can't remember which one it was. So it seems like factional control is a variable but I don't know to what extent.

Suspect the fed/imperial only stuff does clutter up the loot tables as previously suggested.

Ok more testing, Kuk is definitely the Place To Be if you want Proto Heat Radiators. It's all the high emissions are giving me. Which is just fine.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 25, 2017

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I wish it worked like that, Imperial shielding is impossible for me to find. Proto stuff is easy as hell for me its usually all the stuff I find. Loot tables are just stupid for stuff we need.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I could use some advice on ships.

Currently I'm sitting on 56.6 million, with a Fed rank of Chief Petty. Basically since I started this game I've been aiming at the Fer-De-Lance as my big brass ring ship that I was reaching for. However, I know if I buy it now, I won't be able to afford any of the upgrades that make it actually worth having.

I could get the Federal Assault Ship instead, and have enough money to kit it out nicely, but that would set me back a huge way to my ultimate goal of the FDL. So should I spend almost everything on a stock FDL or most everything on a specced out FAS?

EDIT: And I know the FDL isn't the best ship and probably isn't worth the money, but I like it. It reminds me of the Starbridge from Escape Velocity: Nova.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 25, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't fly anything stock. The FAS is a good ship if you can afford to outfit it but with 56 million I'd recommend you stick to a Vulture and A rank everything, then keep the difference as insurance.

Also buy an Asp Explorer because believe me you'll want one at some point.

Also re: your edit, the FDL is an excellent ship and with engineer upgrades gets basically joke grade good. But I don't like flying anything with a multi million insurance bill if I crash drunk (which is how I mostly fly) so I have cheaper ships as my chill boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
FDL is something some people like some people don't, personally I HATE the FDL and don't find it fun to play. The FDL is pure combat also and you won't be going or doing anything else with it let alone going anywhere fast with it. FAS has the same issues but I love the FAS to death. FAS you are not shield tanking you are hull tanking, it can hold more armor then you think and is pretty much a next level vulture. Even in a conda as my primary ship its hard to resist the fun of 4 pips to shields, launch a burst of pacs, boost and ram as they hit to take an enemy ship down to almost nothing and walk away with 3 damage to hull.

Like Dancing shade says though, at 56 million its not enough to outfit nice enough to last long, and you want rebuys to last till you get used to the ship. Any new ship takes a while to get used to and it can be very costly till you do.

• Locked thread