Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xanadu Next is pretty good so far. The skill progression is just tied to weapon proficiency, right? Once I hit 100% I have the skill permanently. AFAIK the proficiency doesn't go down when I change weapons, so what was with the blurb at the start that warned me not to unequip weapons or else I'd have to start over learning the skill? Is it more to just tell you that if I were to unequip the weapon before hitting 100% I'd simply be unable to use the skill while using another weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that's right

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alright, time for the final battle!

*internet has a tiny gap in which access is lost, closing ps now just as the fight is about to start*

Darn, oh well, the two fights before this werent too bad, just gotta get back to it

*dies four times*

Hm this fight is kinda rng bullshitty, oh well ill get it eventually

*game freezes*

Wheres my local terrorist organization, I wish to fight against the injustices in the world

E: beaten, yay

Now for CS2

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What does Trails of Cold Steel 1 give away about Trails in the Sky again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

What does Trails of Cold Steel 1 give away about Trails in the Sky again?

The end fate of several characters, a couple of plot twists, a rough idea of the endgame and one of the character's 'surprise' twists.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The actual final fight is something of a level check. If you're below 65 or so, you just don't have enough HP.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

The end fate of several characters, a couple of plot twists, a rough idea of the endgame and one of the character's 'surprise' twists.

Never mind I guess, then, thanks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The actual final fight is something of a level check. If you're below 65 or so, you just don't have enough HP.

I was at 65. Seems kinda odd to have Valimar's stats be affected by Rean's, but I guess synchronization-whatevers makes it so.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Terper posted:

I was at 65. Seems kinda odd to have Valimar's stats be affected by Rean's, but I guess synchronization-whatevers makes it so.

Yep, Valimar's power is directly linked to Rean's ability as an Awakener, so the higher Rean's level, the more HP Valimar has.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

ImpAtom posted:

Is this all in optional to read world-building stuff or very explicit in the story, cuz I'm like more than 50 hours into Cold Steel and I haven't even touched Sky yet.

it's all the stuff about dreichels I bet right

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

most of the spoilers you won't even realize were spoilers until/unless you go back

Sky's plot is basically whenever they talk about the events 2 years ago in Liberl though

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Cake Attack posted:

most of the spoilers you won't even realize were spoilers until/unless you go back

Sky's plot is basically whenever they talk about the events 2 years ago in Liberl though

Alright. Guess I'll just tune out whenever I hear/see Liberl then, thanks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

psychoJ posted:

Alright. Guess I'll just tune out whenever I hear/see Liberl then, thanks.

I wouldn't worry much since most of the spoilers are throwaway references that without knowing the reference you'll almost definitely immediately forget, and the other is pretty obvious

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Now I don't know whether to get it or not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails in the Sky is good you should play it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

pretty much.

For real, if you're at all interested in Sky you should start there, not only for spoilers but also for gameplay progression, and if you're not who cares about spoilers?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

this

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
A sneak peek of Falcom's CSIII artbook was posted today.

In addition to tonfa-girl the old guy with the beard is the priest who mentored Gaius.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So, uh, this is the battle theme in CS2 huh

Hrm. It's not very good, is it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Turn your sound on.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Terper posted:

So, uh, this is the battle theme in CS2 huh

Hrm. It's not very good, is it.

I liked it. :(

But I like that the very start of CS2 is just Rean just being a passive aggressive jerk to Celine, because she didn't let him run off and get himself killed against someone who was obviously a vastly superior opponent.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey Falcom lovers, Ys: The One For Vita is on sale on the PS Store, also Trails of Cold Steel if you love the game enough to drop $20 for the version you don't have or still need to get in like me.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Erpy posted:

A sneak peek of Falcom's CSIII artbook was posted today.

In addition to tonfa-girl the old guy with the beard is the priest who mentored Gaius.

Also notable, Tonfa's last name is -Ford, so either she's related to the Reinfords or possibly related to Akatsuki's Katarina Ford.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The opening's just too tame or something, and by the point that it starts kicking into gear it's not very engaging. I really liked the CS1 battle theme, too.

My main party for CS1 was Rean, Alisa, Laura and Fie. Alisa because she is Rean's wife and Laura and Fie because they are each others wives. Any interesting buffs/nerfs in character stats/crafts I should take note of?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Elliot's Resounding Beat got nerfed, so he's not nearly as useful. Emma and Julius have crafts that block magic and physical respectively and leaning on them can help you get through tough spots. I actually can't remember if those two had them in CS1 but at least I didn't really use them all that much in that capacity. Julius' Noble Command remains super dope either way as well, and of course Alisa has that one that boosts everyone's CP which is obviously useful; I tended to have her on Item duty (via Moebius) and spamming that craft.

You're probably going to want to load up Hit quartz on your physical attackers like Rean and Laura because they also nerfed your physical accuracy in CS2.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

yeah, i have noticed

so many unscathed bonuses... lost to time... and bullshit

e: I played through all of CS1 making sure every character had 100% bonus accuracy, or at the very least 50%.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 25, 2017

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terper posted:

The opening's just too tame or something, and by the point that it starts kicking into gear it's not very engaging. I really liked the CS1 battle theme, too.

My main party for CS1 was Rean, Alisa, Laura and Fie. Alisa because she is Rean's wife and Laura and Fie because they are each others wives. Any interesting buffs/nerfs in character stats/crafts I should take note of?

This isn't directly about stats/crafts, but they significantly buffed Arts in CS2. Emma is incredibly powerful as a result.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Emma is tailored made for Pandora and Criminal Master Quartz so that she can steamroll encounters and in some cases bosses, especially with the addition of the Overdrive mechanic.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Somewhat hilariously, one of the strongest characters in CS1, Fie, also got a major mechanical buff. You know how despite her excellent evasion potential, she also had an extremely short counter range? Yeah, in CS2 they remember that those are "gun"swords and she has among the largest counter ranges on the team - along with rather high innate evasion (in a game where most characters have none). A Wrath quartz is ludicrously insane on her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
An extremely fun strategy is indeed to get Fie up to 100% Evade with a Wrath Master Quartz and just throw her to the wolves, letting the enemies simply kill themselves by whiffing on hitting her.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Last Celebration posted:

Hey Falcom lovers, Ys: The One For Vita is on sale on the PS Store, also Trails of Cold Steel if you love the game enough to drop $20 for the version you don't have or still need to get in like me.
How long does the sale last? I got a US Vita recently but I don't really have time to mess around with getting it set up and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

leather fedora posted:

How long does the sale last? I got a US Vita recently but I don't really have time to mess around with getting it set up and all.

Until next week, but Sony has no problem letting you buy games on their online store so you can just buy it now and download it after your Vita's set up.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/all-deals/cid=STORE-MSF77008-ALLDEALS

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Just a small note, but there's literally no reason to not buy Memories Of Celceta if you enjoy action RPGs. It's super loving good, and fun to play, and it actually goes a bit into Adol's backstory.

Downsides: Dogi isn't in it. :bang:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

An extremely fun strategy is indeed to get Fie up to 100% Evade with a Wrath Master Quartz and just throw her to the wolves, letting the enemies simply kill themselves by whiffing on hitting her.
With the Murakumo Master Quartz so her crits do extra damage.

I like to add a Shield 3 just in case.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

Also notable, Tonfa's last name is -Ford, so either she's related to the Reinfords or possibly related to Akatsuki's Katarina Ford.

the katakana is wrong for reinford, dunno about katarina

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Terper posted:

You'll hear lots of other battle themes as you go. Monster chests get the Tie A Link Of ARCUS!!!!! arrange so that's pretty dope.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Terper posted:

Crafts have received a rebalancing across the board, but most of them are subtle. Most buffing crafts now last slightly less long. (iirc, buffs like Motivate and Noble Command lasted 4 turns in CS1 while they last 3 turns in CS2) Emma's Crescent Shell (50% def + 1x arts reflect) got buffed so it now also affects herself. Certain AOE crafts like Rean's Gale and Fie's Sweep used to be enemy-targetted and are now grid-targetted, making them much more effective. Arts damage in general got a major buff. Accuracy got a major nerf for both players and enemies, so Hit quartz is now useful.

All characters start out with the crafts they learned in CS1, but most crafts upgrade just like in Trails in the Sky SC. Most of the time, upgraded crafts don't just do more damage, but get larger AOE, higher status infliction odds or get additional effects. (upgraded detector crafts inflict statdowns, Gaius' line attack inflicts Balance down etc.)

Master Quartz received a major rebalancing too. Force's CP-gain is slightly less overpowered, though it partially compensates by acting as a gladiator belt at higher levels, steadily giving you small amounts of CP each turn. Taurus received a buff so it doesn't just affect normal attacks but crafts and S-crafts too, making it a lot more powerful. Iron got changed completely, changing from a "start battle with Def buff" to "get x% damage reduction at high HP". Megalith is available early on and got a MAJOR nerfing. It only restores CP at the highest level and even then, its HP/EP/CP gain are significantly slower.

Enemy status resistence is generally higher, which is offset by the fact a lot of your attacks now have higher status infliction rate too.

Oh, and the damage cap from CS1 of 49999 got removed, so S-crafts and certain arts by certain characters can now do six-digit damage. Bosses later on get a HP boost to offset that, making the gap between damage output from normal attacks/crafts and damage output from S-crafts even more insane.

I also believe the burn status got nerfed to do less insane damage.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 25, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also I glossed over this the first time but heated mind rules

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Oh, and the damage cap from CS1 of 49999 got removed, so S-crafts and certain arts by certain characters can now do six-digit damage. Bosses later on get a HP boost to offset that, making the gap between damage output from normal attacks/crafts and damage output from S-crafts even more insane.

It didn't get removed, it just got increased.

Of course, there's no enemies in the game with more health than the new cap, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The battle music grew on me a lot