Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Theswarms posted:

Do you guys no-cb war often? I look at stability penalties and run away screaming, should I be invading out of the blue?

I try to maintain +1 stability but I won't shy away from a no-CB war if there's a good reason for it. And then if you're at -3 stability anyway it's not like you can go any lower. The penalties for negative stability aren't that bad, and the perks of positive stability are nice but not essential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Theswarms posted:

Do you guys no-cb war often? I look at stability penalties and run away screaming, should I be invading out of the blue?

My general rule of thumb is if I see a small country without allies it's just the cost of vassalizing them and getting new expansion opportunities.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's a pretty serious cost to a no-cb war, just like there's a pretty serious cost to truce-breaking. But also, those things exist in the game for a reason, and so you should totally do them when the benefits outweigh the costs.

For example, a no-cb war on a trade league of OPM cities is a great way to turn a couple hundred admin points into a shitload of money.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was watching DDRJake plan on no cb'ing some one the other day and I was like "oh, hey, I should do that some time"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no cb east friesland as scotland and then join the hre for a "fun" alternative "strat"

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Dev Diary for the 4th Age up.

code:
Abilities
+3 Artillery Bonus vs Fort
Force March does not cost MIL
20% more ships can fight in combat.
Remove distance check for coring.
Artillery does 20% more damage from backrow.
-25 liberty desire to subjects on same continent
Liberty_desire_from_subject_development -33%
Prussia: 20% less fire-damage taken
Great Britain: 25% cheaper naval maintenance
Russia: +20 States
Austria: +5 diplomatic reputation
So instead of the max bonus against Forts being +5, in this age it can be +8. I'll take it.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 24, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Mysticblade posted:

Remove distance check for coring.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I usually only no-cb if I really want to expand into some strange place far from home for some reason, or sometimes you want to take a particular neighbor out right at the beginning of the game. Those are really the only 2 times I ever do it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Augh, yeah you're right I double checked and the CoR is in fact not in their capital. God drat you Brandenburg.

I suppose it's a moot point since I don't have access to Cleansing of Heresy anyway. I suppose I'll just have to ignore their shenanigans until the CoRs start disappearing on their own or until I can be bothered to pick up Humanism :effort:

Playing Austria in my first campaign, I had a CoR spawn in Brandenburg-controlled Altmark. I fabricated on one of their other provinces (something adjacent to Neumark, iirc, which I had taken from Poland) and declared with a Conquest CB. In the peace deal I selected both force religion and cede Altmark and the CoR was instantly destroyed. Doesn't seem like it's supposed to happen that way from what I read, but it did. v:shobon:v

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I've had that happen before, it's almost certainly a bug, but not a particularly common one. Great for dealing with CoRs though.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I'm glad the next dev diary hints at a Manchu buff, because right now Manchuria is basically Koreatown in every playthrough

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

playing as manchu is truly a full time job. you can make a real korea out of it

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
people said doing a wc was boring

they

were

right

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

It looks like the rebels are nationalist. So the safest bet would be to wait for them to spawn and accept their demands.

Except since they're French nationalists they'll demand the release of every single French core he holds, i.e. two thirds of his country

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

In order to transform Burgundy into A Newer, Better France, I had to gobble up their solitary colony.

I hate it. I want to get rid of it. But it's Francien culture, so no nearby colonizing nation wants to buy it. Is there a way to throw it in the trash?

Not really. Just bump autonomy and forget about it until somebody shares a border with it, then they'll be happy to buy.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Colonize 4 more and then let your CN handle it.

If you're not going exploration then :canada:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Argh two 100% warscore wars and still can't fully annex novgorod, they must have developed or something.

Oh well I got everything except kola, annexed yaroslavl, conquered tver and ryazan so things are looking fine. Next up annexing pskov while waiting for the truce with Gh to expire so I can take their land with the conquer the steppes mission. Poland-lithuania still looking too strong to take head on, almost unlocked the first idea group (will go religious for the awesome CB and converting Sunni land) and building up some relations with Poland enemies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is it pretty much required that I get Religious and Divine Supremacy as Fetishist if I ever want to convert developed Sunni or Christian provinces? I have all the decisions made, that affect missionary strength, but it ain't enough.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 24, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Elotana posted:

I'm glad the next dev diary hints at a Manchu buff, because right now Manchuria is basically Koreatown in every playthrough
Only when it's not Mingtown or possibly Japantown.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, and Korea reliably got eaten every patch before Cossacks came out.

I am excited at the possibility of seeing actual Qing though, it seems like they're striving to make it possible.

Node posted:

Is it pretty much required that I get Religious and Divine Supremacy if I ever want to convert developed Sunni or Christian provinces? I have all the decisions made, that affect missionary strength, but it ain't enough.

stability, an inquisitor, and loyal clergy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Koramei posted:

Yeah, and Korea reliably got eaten every patch before Cossacks came out.

I am excited at the possibility of seeing actual Qing though, it seems like they're striving to make it possible.

stability, an inquisitor, and loyal clergy.

I was stupid and didn't mention I'm Fetishist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Argh two 100% warscore wars and still can't fully annex novgorod, they must have developed or something.

Oh well I got everything except kola, annexed yaroslavl, conquered tver and ryazan so things are looking fine. Next up annexing pskov while waiting for the truce with Gh to expire so I can take their land with the conquer the steppes mission. Poland-lithuania still looking too strong to take head on, almost unlocked the first idea group (will go religious for the awesome CB and converting Sunni land) and building up some relations with Poland enemies.

It shouldn't take more than two wars, if your first is 98WS worth of land (which is the highest you can get while isolating them from other powers), the second is something like 94%.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

I was stupid and didn't mention I'm Fetishist.

Do you have an inquisitor adviser? That's usually enough to at least make conversion feasible

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You should be able to overcome off-culture (-2), Muslim (-2) provinces with just the base missionary strength (+2) and an inquisitor (+2).

Really high development provinces or religious centers you'll probably need to hand it to a loyal Clergy estate for another (+2) and/or build a Cathedral (+3).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Am I going crazy or will countries sometimes join a coalition even though they're not listed as possible joiners when you take land? I just found to my dismay that the Ottomans are a member of the coalition that just declared on me and I swear to god they weren't on the list. I don't recall seeing a popup about them joining either. I seem to remember this happening before too.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

It shouldn't take more than two wars, if your first is 98WS worth of land (which is the highest you can get while isolating them from other powers), the second is something like 94%.

Funny I had the exact same problem with the Golden horde. Two wars not enough to conquer the steppes by a single province.

Oh well in the meantime somebody made poland break the PU with Lithuania so I promptly holy warred and ate a 100 ws chunk of them. This is VERY GOOD INDEED, I am blobbing hard and already past my state limit. The biggest problem is institutions, they take forever to spread to me and I really don't have the monarch points income to seed them due to loving lovely rulers.

now the Ottomans have integrated Crimea and are thus starting to hate my guts but my best buddy hungary is growing eating Venice and the balkans and they hate them, there shall be a nice hellwar soon before they get Mamluks and grow too strong - but first I should attack the livonian order before they get wiped by somebody else, I have 40 favors with Sweden by supporting their independence and I should use those before betraying them I guess

It's like 1515 and France is getting killed by england, this is so fun

Edit: my current ruler is called Semen and this makes me giggle so hard

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 25, 2017

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
How are people seeding institutions? My Balkan and Egyptian lands were forever loving me over for many of the ones in my Venice to Italy game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
In general, it means increasing development of a lowly 1/1/1 province when a new institution crops up. Each point increments the institution until you hit 100 and it's fully realized in your country. Then you have it spread until the cost goes down. This is more for when you're far away from where the Institution started for the early ones. The later ones you can hover over to see what influences it, so things like building manufactories or universities everywhere will speed up the spread.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Oh well in the meantime somebody made poland break the PU with Lithuania so I promptly holy warred and ate a 100 ws chunk of them. This is VERY GOOD INDEED, I am blobbing hard and already past my state limit. The biggest problem is institutions, they take forever to spread to me and I really don't have the monarch points income to seed them due to loving lovely rulers.

Yeah it's real rough getting Rennaisance, Colonialism and Printing Press. The others are easier. Strongly consider loans and currency debasement.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Playing Kongo to get African Power, I love it when megaFrance who is allied to megaSpain declare war on you, but both forget that they need to transport troops to the continent to actually conquer provinces.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's real rough getting Rennaisance, Colonialism and Printing Press. The others are easier. Strongly consider loans and currency debasement.

I'm really not looking forward to this aspect when trying to do Sun God. :shepicide:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

In general, it means increasing development of a lowly 1/1/1 province when a new institution crops up. Each point increments the institution until you hit 100 and it's fully realized in your country. Then you have it spread until the cost goes down. This is more for when you're far away from where the Institution started for the early ones. The later ones you can hover over to see what influences it, so things like building manufactories or universities everywhere will speed up the spread.

Note that you do not have to use a 1/1/1. Using a 1/1/1 will give you more development per monarch point spent, but you will have to send more monarch points overall than if you were seeding say a 2/2/2.

I think that the most important thing is to use a province with as many development discounts as possible. Terrain matters a lot (aka seed farmlands, not mountains), climate matters some (seed temperate if you have it) and your capitol gets a discount, too, so it's possibly a good target for one institution seed. Then see about other discounts (natural harbors, keeping the burgers fat and loyal, etc)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The other thing is you probably want to seed your second institution close to where you seeded your first one, so it spreads quickly there to get above the 10% of total development you need to embrace it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I'm really not looking forward to this aspect when trying to do Sun God. :shepicide:

You should get everything up to colonialism basically instantly once you share a border.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jabor posted:

The other thing is you probably want to seed your second institution close to where you seeded your first one, so it spreads quickly there to get above the 10% of total development you need to embrace it.

Also the price is based on developement, so if your development is centralized like this you can spend less money faster.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kongo is really good for institution seeding. There's 4-5 grassland provinces all around your capital ripe for dumping all of your monarch points into. Ethiopia has one grassland province in nubia and a few dryland provinces (only a 5% malus to developing) scattered around.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

In addition to what uPen said, keep in mind that you can't adopt institutions until you reform. I learned that my first run as Cuzco, after I'd spent the ~1000 monarch points to seed the renaissance in a province. I was not a happy camper.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Caustic Soda posted:

In addition to what uPen said, keep in mind that you can't adopt institutions until you reform. I learned that my first run as Cuzco, after I'd spent the ~1000 monarch points to seed the renaissance in a province. I was not a happy camper.

That being said, there are allegedly ways to cheese this via releasing vassals.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Jabor posted:

That being said, there are allegedly ways to cheese this via releasing vassals.

I'm pretty sure that Americans at least cannot embrace institutions until they have reformed their religion (or converted?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
New player:

If you're playing a smaller, landlocked, less developed nation (1 - 3 provinces, thinking places like Dongola) with no revenue to begin with, do you dump some points into development or just try to catch up in tech/institutions?

What are some general priorities for monarch point investment?

When do you start investing in advisors? I've heard Arumba say he likes to lock in level 1 advisers in all slots as soon as possible, but I see DDRJake in his Manipur Safari attempt not pick up any adviser in the first 10 years.

• Locked thread