Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

And my response was "At least it was better than MoS and BvS"

You know, I'm genuinely having difficulty deciding if Suicide Squad was worse than Snyder's movies. I think I'm landing on the "it was worse" side entirely on the basis that at least Snyder was actually trying to say something. He did a terrible job of it and his choice of messages was god awful, but it wasn't a completely soulless mess.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Which famous ape movie gets remade next? If you had Every Which Way But Loose, be sure to mark your bingo square!

I literally said aloud, "What? Why?" when I read that. There's not even name recognition to go with it. You could just make any orangutan buddy movie, call it whatever you like, and it would have the exact same impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Suicide Squad was worth it for the hilarious entry and exit of Slipknot -- "the man who can climb anything!"

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

You know, I'm genuinely having difficulty deciding if Suicide Squad was worse than Snyder's movies. I think I'm landing on the "it was worse" side entirely on the basis that at least Snyder was actually trying to say something. He did a terrible job of it and his choice of messages was god awful, but it wasn't a completely soulless mess.

It was definitely a bit worse but they're all garbage films and a complete waste of time IMO.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

new kind of cat posted:

Suicide Squad was worth it for the hilarious entry and exit of Slipknot -- "the man who can climb anything!"
I can't believe they made a poster for him when he's not even in any trailers really

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Suicide Squad is more worthy of an Oscar nomination than most of the comic book movies last year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

Suicide Squad is more worthy of an Oscar nomination than most of the comic book movies last year.

In a year with Batman: The Killing Joke Dr. Strange, Deadpool, Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, X-Men Apocalypse and TMNT Out of the Shadows that's not saying much.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its saying something that Dr. Strange was nominated as well (for Visual Effects, compared to SS's Makeup), and no one is talking about it.

It's like people turning their heads at a car crash over here.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Dr. Strange had really great visual effects though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
lovely blockbusters get nominated for technical awards all the time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Dr. Strange had really great visual effects though.

That's what I mean. SS OTOH....

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

That's what I mean. SS OTOH....

Had great hair and makeup, clearly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LesterGroans posted:

quote:

Critics' Choice Awards Best Actress in an Action Movie Gal Gadot Nominated [303]
Golden Raspberry Awards Worst Picture Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder Pending [304]
Worst Director Zack Snyder Pending
Worst Screenplay Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer Pending
Worst Actor Ben Affleck Pending
Henry Cavill Pending
Worst Supporting Actor Jesse Eisenberg Pending
Worst Screen Combo Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill Pending
Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Pending
People's Choice Awards Favorite Action Movie Nominated [305]
Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Nominated [306]
Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Henry Cavill Nominated
Ben Affleck Nominated
Choice Movie Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Amy Adams Nominated
Choice Movie: Scene Stealer Gal Gadot Nominated
Choice Movie: Villain Jesse Eisenberg Nominated
Choice Movie: Liplock Henry Cavill and Amy Adams Nominated

:v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Award shows are pretty meaningless.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MacheteZombie posted:

Had great hair and makeup, clearly.

Between Killer Croc, Enchantress and Joker I think there's enough to justify a nomination.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Between Killer Croc, Enchantress and Joker I think there's enough to justify a nomination.

I don't know where the line between costuming and this category ends, but either way I did really enjoy the look of a lot of the characters.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Margot Robbie also won a People's Choice and a Critic's Choice for Action Movie Actress.

Critic's Choice Awards also saw Deadpool winning Best Comedy and Best Actor in A Comedy for Ryan Reynolds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Not a high bar by any measure

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Neo Rasa posted:

In a year with Batman: The Killing Joke Dr. Strange, Deadpool, Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, X-Men Apocalypse and TMNT Out of the Shadows that's not saying much.

Wait, is Doctor Strange considered to be a bad movie now?

And I liked Apocalypse, but I can understand others not enjoying it, i admit it was a dumb movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
TMNT should've been nominated for Best Brain Monster.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I noticed Kubo and the Two Strings was nominated for best visual effects. Has an entirely animated movie ever been nominated for that before?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Eh! Frank posted:

And I liked Apocalypse, but I can understand others not enjoying it, i admit it was a dumb movie.

Not sure what the CD consensus is but I found it to be incredibly mediocre after the first 30 minutes or so which were admittedly not bad.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

new kind of cat posted:

You just know the only reason he's in there is because of the band. HELL YEAH BRO SLIPKNOT

As for the Razzies, they've been trending towards "less fun" and "more purely mean-spirited and dogpiling" for... a long long time, many years, now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

this is katana, she's got my back, she could cut all of you in half with one sword stroke just like mowing the lawn I advice not getting killed by her her swords traps the souls of her victims

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

precision posted:

You just know the only reason he's in there is because of the band. HELL YEAH BRO SLIPKNOT

As for the Razzies, they've been trending towards "less fun" and "more purely mean-spirited and dogpiling" for... a long long time, many years, now.

He's actually is the guy in the comics that died in the first issue going out of bounds to show everyones got bombs attached to them.

He didn't need loving fanfare though

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

precision posted:

Pretty much forever. Also the longer out the awards ceremonies go, the less accurate and more petty they look. Like, The Shining, nominating the score for The Thing.

This year they decided to go after Ben Affleck again, only about 10 years after that became passe. Also for his work on a movie that he is the best part of and is definitely not Suicide Squad.

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/13/the...important_sham/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Eh! Frank posted:

I hardly think I speak for everyone. :P Personally I didn't think it was awful, and I did enjoy it but it's definitely a movie I watched once, had some fun with, and haven't thought out at all since. The editing and the script felt like two different movies shmushed together and it felt very, uh, over produced through the MCU/Disney machine.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eh! Frank posted:

No, just really tedious apart from the visuals and a couple moments of fight choreography.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Shining got nominated because it god pretty bad reviews. Mostly because it wasn'T faithful to the book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apocalypse was worth it for the Quicksilver scene alone, but there was a lot of dumb poo poo going on in that movie. Such as Hugh Jackman's cameo which was entirely pointless fan service. Additionally the whole new timeline makes my head hurt.

BvS and Suicide Squad both sucked, though the latter was slightly better in that it wasn't completely boring. The whining from comic fanboy edgelords about bad reviews only cemented my opinion further.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There hasn't been a truly good, memorable X-Men movie since 2. Logan looks like it might fit the bill.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

No, just really tedious apart from the visuals and a couple moments of fight choreography.

The climax of Dr Strange was a breath of fresh air compared with the usual punch-bad-man-harder type of victory.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had a strong dislike for Suicide Squad because I didn't like any of the people in the titular Squad, and the main villainess was boring.

At least BvS had Superman in it, since he's someone you can inherently trust and everyone who didn't was revealed to be dumb/crazy for nor trusting him.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BvS was at least bad in an interesting way. Suicide Squad is the pure mediocrity of what you get when you design something by committee and pander to the lowest common denominator. It's also one of the worst edited movies I've ever seen and easily has one of the worst soundtracks.

Casimir Radon posted:

Apocalypse was worth it for the Quicksilver scene alone, but there was a lot of dumb poo poo going on in that movie. Such as Hugh Jackman's cameo which was entirely pointless fan service. Additionally the whole new timeline makes my head hurt.

BvS and Suicide Squad both sucked, though the latter was slightly better in that it wasn't completely boring. The whining from comic fanboy edgelords about bad reviews only cemented my opinion further.

But even then the Quicksilver scene was a rehash of the scene from the last movie. Apocalypse was bad too but it didn't piss me off like Suicide Squad did.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

He's actually is the guy in the comics that died in the first issue going out of bounds to show everyones got bombs attached to them.

He didn't need loving fanfare though

Actually, no, he got one of his arms blown off, which didn't impede any of his rope tricks.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

got any sevens posted:

The climax of Dr Strange was a breath of fresh air compared with the usual punch-bad-man-harder type of victory.

Yeah, I'll give them that, too, although it was kind of rushed and didn't communicate the weirdness of the situation as well as the "thrown across the dimensions" montage near the beginning.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

TTBF posted:

I noticed Kubo and the Two Strings was nominated for best visual effects. Has an entirely animated movie ever been nominated for that before?

Nightmare Before Christmas was; not sure if there have been any others.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Killer Croc had fantastic design?? He took off his jacket and looked like a featherweight boxer with monster makeup

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why did Kubo flop so hard anyway? We watched it the other night and it's absolutely fantastic, it seems like something that should have been a massive hit :confused:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

precision posted:

Why did Kubo flop so hard anyway? We watched it the other night and it's absolutely fantastic, it seems like something that should have been a massive hit :confused:

I had no idea it existed until well after it was out of theaters. I assume it didn't have much of a marketing budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Its a kids film that is really inappropriate for kids. Its too complicated for the under 5s, terrifying for the 9-5s, and not edgy enough for the tweens. Also its not cutesy as gently caress so the adult crowd that turn up to animated films for Olaf the snowman aren't coming either.

Its a really good film but I struggle to think of many people I personally know that would find the separate elements of the film all that appealing.

• Locked thread