Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Can we see more detail shots? Inside cover, between issues, etc. What process did they use?

Inside cover is just plain white; nothing too exciting.

Nothing too exciting between issues. I could have removed back covers...but I kinda liked the nostalgic appeal of having the old back cover ads to see every time I flip through the book.

Top of the spine picture; not sure what method they use for binding...but I sprung for the little head and tail bands for appearance, plus the ribbon bookmark, cause I find them to be classy.

Front cover is just blank, cause I was too cheap to pay for anything on it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looks like the maul mini will see the return of cad bane from clone wars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Good news; the bindery can fix my book easily. I was about to track down all 12 issues again for rebinding.

EDIT: Need some input from the crowd here; I'm thinking of binding up a bunch of the miniseries' releases together. Right now I'm thinking Princess Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, and Han Solo; possibly throwing the C-3P0 one-shot in there too since it doesn't have a good other home.

What should I put on the spine? "Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, & Han" or whatever just seems...unwieldy. Maybe just..."miniseries"?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 24, 2017

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

jivjov posted:

Good news; the bindery can fix my book easily. I was about to track down all 12 issues again for rebinding.

EDIT: Need some input from the crowd here; I'm thinking of binding up a bunch of the miniseries' releases together. Right now I'm thinking Princess Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, and Han Solo; possibly throwing the C-3P0 one-shot in there too since it doesn't have a good other home.

What should I put on the spine? "Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, & Han" or whatever just seems...unwieldy. Maybe just..."miniseries"?

LL Chew Han.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Well, they're the crew of the Millennium Falcon, so maybe you could use something like that?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Star Wars Miniseries (2015-2016)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars Miniseries Vol. 1

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The FOR REAL D-Canon Minis (Not Like Those Other Fake Ones) Vol. 1

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Star Wars Miniseries (2015-2016)

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars Miniseries Vol. 1

One of these is the winner, methinks. Although now part of me wants to try to fit Shattered Empire and/or that Obi-Wan & Anakin miniseries in there somehow...especially if I sort them by publication date like Carteret's suggestion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you do volume numbers and ignore the years, you don't have to worry about having a year with too much stuff for one book.

But publication date of the first issue is probably best, regardless. (Don't have them intermingled.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

If you do volume numbers and ignore the years, you don't have to worry about having a year with too much stuff for one book.

But publication date of the first issue is probably best, regardless. (Don't have them intermingled.)

Yeah, I can arbitrarily decide what constitutes a "volume"...that makes sense.

Hopefully Marvel cranks out enough minis that I won't have a laughably tiny final volume when all is said and done (although lets be real...we're going to have consistent Star Wars comic release through at least the end of 2019, aren't we?)

EDIT: After much hemming and hawing, my Minis Volume 1 set will contain, in this order: Princess Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Shattered Empire, C-3P0: Phantom Limb. Publication order for the middle-of-the-OT stuff, Shattered Empire and C-3P0 after all of that.

I'll stick that Obi/Ani series in with the impending Darth Maul mini, and hopefully some other prequel era minis.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 24, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We are going to have Star Wars comics for probably literally as long as Disney publishes comics.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wonder what other prequel-era characters will get comics.

Mace Windu, Jango Fett, and General Grievous feel like realky obvious choices, but I would be amused if they go with something out of nowhere like Ki-Adi Mundi or a mini showing what haooens to Barriss after season 5 of Clone Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rereading through Vader (since what's the point of having it all in one volume if you're not gonna read it!), and I'd forgotten just how good this series is. And the intrigue stuff flows so much nicer when one can binge through a "book" at a time. Oh, and they really were banking on the Star Wars ongoing and the Vader series intermingling at times.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a shame the main series is so mediocre. There's occasionally a fun idea but it's 90% 'our heroes do some stuff'. There's no room to explore anything interesting beyond a set piece.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ShineDog posted:

It's a shame the main series is so mediocre. There's occasionally a fun idea but it's 90% 'our heroes do some stuff'. There's no room to explore anything interesting beyond a set piece.

I think I've posted this before, but that's exactly the reason why it's so stupid to have an ongoing comic taking place between 2 movies in a trilogy. All the main character beats are already covered in the movies, and so you can't have, for instance, Luke using the Force competently, because he's only gets shown as competent at the beginning of Jedi. Everyone has to be in this perpetual holding pattern as far as characterization goes, because there's not a lot they can do that wouldn't contradict the plots from the movies. And even their setpieces can't be TOO interesting or impactful, because then it just begs the question "Why did everyone just forget about all that stuff by the time we see Empire Strikes Back?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Mace Windu, Jango Fett, and General Grievous feel like realky obvious choices, but I would be amused if they go with something out of nowhere like Ki-Adi Mundi or a mini showing what haooens to Barriss after season 5 of Clone Wars.

Ki-Adi-Mundi was actually the main character for a while in the old Dark Horse comics. He had an apprentice who was a Tusken Raider.

I could quite easily see a Plo Koon comic happening purely because he's Dave Filoni's favourite minor Jedi. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the best issues of the main series are the flashbacks to Obi-Wan or Yoda.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
But the aaart

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ki-Adi-Mundi was actually the main character for a while in the old Dark Horse comics. He had an apprentice who was a Tusken Raider.

About a year ago (or maybe two?) I reread the entire Dark Horse Star Wars run, and I really liked the weirdness of those early (what would become) Republic comics. Nobody really had any idea what the prequels were going to be, so there's a bunch of interesting jankiness to them. Like Ki Adi Mundi having four wives and seven children.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

About a year ago (or maybe two?) I reread the entire Dark Horse Star Wars run, and I really liked the weirdness of those early (what would become) Republic comics. Nobody really had any idea what the prequels were going to be, so there's a bunch of interesting jankiness to them. Like Ki Adi Mundi having four wives and seven children.

Or even just the Jedi having lightsabres in every colour of the rainbow.

Mace Windu's used to be blue. He didn't even have that "almost go over to the dark side every time you use it" fighting style until AOTC came out, from what I remember.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wait, maybe I misread but, so, before the prequels even came out Mace and Kai were named in other mediums?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah, probably in the gap between Phantom Menace (where they mostly just sit in their Jedi Master Chairs and talk) and the later prequel movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the background Jedi Council members were named before the movie came out but only in supplementary tie-in materials (I know because I had the Official Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Handbook).

Speaking of those tie-ins, one thing that had a lot of tie-in writers pretty confused was whether Queen Amidala and Padme were the same person or not. I remember I also had several of the Episode I "adventure journals" which told the story of the movie from the perspective of one of the characters, and the Queen Amidala one had all this narration about how "Padme" was not a real person, but a persona that Amidala invented to disguise herself when she wanted to go out in public or go undercover.

However, this contradicted another tie-in - probably the aforementioned handbook - which explained that Padme was one of her handmaidens whom she frequently swapped places with when she wanted to go out in public or go undercover (as she does in the movie)!

I don't think it was actually made clear that her real name was Padme and Amidala was just her regnal name until AOTC came out (because EU material set between TPM and AOTC which actually came out between the movies basically amounted to a series of young readers' novels about Anakin and Obi-Wan), and even then, she's referred to as "Padme Amidala" in more than one source.

(Probably shouldn't be difficult to tell or to believe that eight-year old me was more into The Phantom Menace in 1999 than I ever had or ever have been into any other movie before or since :v:.)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

Wait, maybe I misread but, so, before the prequels even came out Mace and Kai were named in other mediums?

The first issue of Star Wars Republic came out in December 1998, so there was about 5 months of confusion and assumptions.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the clarification.

One last thing:

I have been collecting all of the Marvel Star Wars comics, but I haven't picked up any in a while. I stopped at TFA adaptation (Still bought them, but, that's about when I stopped picking stuff up) What have I missed?

Is Poe still going on? What series are active?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The three ongoing series are Star Wars, Poe Dameron, and Doctor Aphra.

Vader ended at Issue 25, a Darth Maul 5 issue series starts in February, and the Rogue One adaptation starts soon.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah, ok. Trying to find a good jumping off point. I just feel like my collector bug is going off and they are never going to stop making comics (of questionable quality).

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Ah, ok. Trying to find a good jumping off point. I just feel like my collector bug is going off and they are never going to stop making comics (of questionable quality).

Get Vader, the SW tie ins to Vader down and call it a day. Vader is great and has the best characters. 0-0-0 and BT

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Nobody really had any idea what the prequels were going to be, so there's a bunch of interesting jankiness to them. Like Ki Adi Mundi having four wives and seven children.
Or him being the only Jedi Knight on the council in Episode 1, which was then explained as the Jedi just being really lovely and slow at doing paperwork for promotions.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Or him being the only Jedi Knight on the council in Episode 1, which was then explained as the Jedi just being really lovely and slow at doing paperwork for promotions.

To be fair, that bit is totally believable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Style posted:

There's one comic where his predecessor on the Council is killed and it turns out he was chosen partly because they really didn't want to appoint Qui-Gon Jinn because of his philosophical differences with them.

For a while, one of the EU rules was that a Jedi could only be promoted to master by training an apprentice to knighthood but they subsequently did away with it so it was just that the Council decides on whether to promote you or not.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I remember fans arguing before Episode 3 came out about whether Ben Kenobi was a Jedi Master, using dumb poo poo like that to both prove and disprove each other's arguments (Ben told Luke Anakin was a Knight, therefore Obi-Wan was a master / Vader said he left Obi-Wan as a learner, therefore Ben never got to level up from Knight).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Darth Maul is really good first issue, the art style and how they layout the action really reminds me of the 90s in a good way. Maul + Aphra has star wars comics in a good spot right now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Are the original Marvel Star Wars comics as good as the covers make them look?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Well they aren't canon so why waste your time...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

They're loving bizarre and worth checking out if you can do so affordably.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

I personally think they're really interesting - particularly the ones which were published between ANH and ESB - because they created a fair bit of backstory for the setting which ended up being largely walked back loooooong before Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For some reason I thought Marvel had been rereleasing them in trades, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The whole series is on Comixology for $2 per issue, but that seems a bit excessive.

The Dark Horse reprints are still available on Amazon for about $20 each, which is a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They are; they're coming out as part of the Epic Collection line (as "The Original Marvel Years").