Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Edit: the moment after he takes the call from Kevin is what I keep thinking back to.

That was a great moment because at first, I didn't think the third actor particularly resembled the other two, but as soon as he takes that phone call it's like every muscle in his face relaxes and he suddenly looks like a kid again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Barry Jenkins is great. He did what I've been waiting for someone to do with these; he just goes hog wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

George Washington is so good. Criterion should do All the Real Girls too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a movie I stumbled upon once and it's the sort of thing where I kept wondering how I had never heard of it before.

You'd think pop culture would get some mileage out of Charlie Sheen, Ghost RoboCop

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

George Washington is so good. Criterion should do All the Real Girls too.
DGG's career has taken some strange turns

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

GonSmithe posted:

Barry Jenkins is great. He did what I've been waiting for someone to do with these; he just goes hog wild

Watched this earlier. Dude's awesome. "Okay no more. Well one more."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

gently caress Whitey posted:

Lemme just sit here that'll teach Nazis that exterminating an entire race is wrong

Jesus

I'm trying to think of what the equivalent would be in today's setting, and I think its something like a DDoS attack. Like what the church of Scientology did to the IRS.

Sit-ins prevented racist white business owners from serving white customers and demonstrated that the economy was not actually segregated.

Economic warfare is traditionally purpotrated by the rich against the poor. Properly disruptive protest hurts the rich where they care about it: in the wallet. Trashing limos and punching people accomplishes nothing. They are insured and they can buy more. You need to hurt their bottom line in a meaningful way.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Snak posted:

Like what the church of Scientology did to the IRS.

you should probably look into this more because that isn't waht they did

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did the church of Scientology not flood the irs with so much paperwork that it was literally impossible for them to complete it all? Like they filed suits and complaints against hundreds of individual employees?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Hell yeah, La Haine getting a shout out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js2_hBDi2LI

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
An exemplary version of pro-active sitting protest is shown in The Spook Who Sat By The Door. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snak posted:

Did the church of Scientology not flood the irs with so much paperwork that it was literally impossible for them to complete it all? Like they filed suits and complaints against hundreds of individual employees?

no they called down Lord Xenu and then this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGxL7qpQnE

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Snak posted:

and also stalked and harassed them

you're literally going don't punch nazis just fuckin blow up their fax machines and then when you stop they'll be so grateful they'll just give in

the church beating the irs was not a good thing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just don't know why I'm being attacked for agreeing that non-disruptive protest is pointless.

Edit: I didn't say dont punch nazis. I said its not effective at creating change. You have to hit them where itbhurts, and its not the faces of their footsoldiers. I cited a historical example of disruptive protest that was extremely effective.

Of course the church beating the irs was loving terrible. And yes, I know they did all that other lovely stuff also. But I thought that ultimately their psuedo-legal tactics proved effective. Unfortunately.

I don't give a poo poo if you go kill a bunch of nazis, but I don't feel like it's going to accomplish a whole lot.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 24, 2017

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
today's list of bonkers poo poo dickegently caress Whitey is going to watch while ripping sentai dvds so that he never has to use a dvd player again is shaping up to look like Fight For Your Life, Penitentiary, and Hit Man (1972) which stars Pam Grier so it has to be good right

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Snak posted:

I just don't know why I'm being attacked for agreeing that non-disruptive protest is pointless.

your example is fuckin horrible and also? wrong

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Settle down not dickeye

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

today's list of bonkers poo poo dickegently caress Whitey is going to watch while ripping sentai dvds so that he never has to use a dvd player again is shaping up to look like Fight For Your Life, Penitentiary, and Hit Man (1972) which stars Pam Grier so it has to be good right

Fight For Your Life is loving wild.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fight For Your Life is loving wild.

so you've said. i've had it sitting around for a while now and since i have a night off from work and no plans other than making sure i never have to use a dvd player to watch official releases of sentai again i figure what the hell

i was halfway watching dead end drive in earlier but i kept falling asleep

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

your example is fuckin horrible and also? wrong

So you think that sit-ins during the civil rights movement weren't effective?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
from a user description of Sexbomb (1989)

quote:

This is really nothing more than a bad horror / comedy that uses every excuse possible to get women to take their tops off. As such it's a great film.

exploitation movie fans are the best

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think whiteye is saying that your example is bad not that sit ins are bad.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Snak posted:

So you think that sit-ins during the civil rights movement weren't effective?

they weren't the only thing that happened, i also don't think they would be that effective now, also your example of "look what CoS did to the irs" is fuckin insane

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

CelticPredator posted:

I think whiteye is saying that your example is bad not that sit ins are bad.

:yeah:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why is it an insane example?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Arguments like these are how we ended up with Hillary Clinton as a nominee

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm finished with the first disc of Napoleon and so far it's loving incredible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I blame the "it's her time/turn" narrative everyone ran with as an acceptable way to pick nominees.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's really funny seeing Chris Pine go full-Shatner for Into the Woods when he's surprisingly restrained in the Star Trek films.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

glam rock hamhock posted:

Arguments like these show that a lot of people give a poo poo and want to be part of the political process, which is an inversion of the state of affairs that gave us Hillary.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Snak posted:

Why is it an insane example?

"a monolithic organization with a ton of money (at the time) managed to bully and harass the federal government into giving them what they wanted, similarly, ddosing,"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It thought it was a given that it would be impossible to create any change without organizing millions of people and having access to millions of dollars of funding.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Fight for Your Life is fuckin insane

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm finished with the first disc of Napoleon and so far it's loving incredible.

Abel Gance's Napoleon? My man.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

Abel Gance's Napoleon? My man.

Yep.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fight for Your Life is fuckin insane

The sheriff's son is the best in that movie.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

ruddiger posted:

The sheriff's son is the best in that movie.

Think you mean the sheriff also grandma also the kid waving the cops off

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Fight for Your Life isn't god tier but it's fuckin great

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

GonSmithe posted:

This is basically exactly what I'd do in his shoes. Except my picks would be a lot trashier since I am a low culture garbageman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problems with XLIC have little to do with 9/11. But then I'm assuming you haven't seen that one either. It's the Day The Clown Cried meme, where the actual film is certainly fairly average, and people are really just taking the opportunity to joke about the holocaust.

Patriot's Day is, again, a film akin to Terror At The Mall. It also functions along the same lines as United 93, or as another actually-good version of Zero Dark Thirty.

The problem with XLICK is that it's a schmalzy piece of poo poo that uses an offensive "magical idiot" trope to sell us on the hidden beauty of a national tragedy, and that national tragedy is the fact that it was written in the first place.

• Locked thread