Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

So if I haven't bothered with a beta key then I assume they'll be sending out full version keys too ahead of release, right?

You'll get an email telling you it's out and to go to the Torment backer website, log in, and generate your key. It worked without issue for Wasteland 2 (for me at least, I didn't hear any issues) and worst case their support team would be happy to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

botany posted:

Have they fixed the fighting? Back when the closed beta started that was broken as all hell.

Yes they have, and the scripted encounters are REALLY fun. Being able to talk to your opponents mid-fight is a nice change of pace from literally every other RPG I've ever played.

Penile Dementia
Feb 13, 2006

I Left My Heart in Stamford Bridge
I'm trying really hard to not get my hopes up about this game but drat is it making it difficult to do so.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

botany posted:

Have they fixed the fighting? Back when the closed beta started that was broken as all hell.

Well... it's better than it was.

I don't like the combat much, but fighting is a relatively limited so I don't think it's going to kill the game for me.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Airfoil posted:

I don't like the combat much, but fighting is a relatively limited so I don't think it's going to kill the game for me.

What do you dislike about it?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

botany posted:

What do you dislike about it?

I find it shallow and plodding, but I'm coming at it from the perspective of someone who enjoys the multiple damage types, defenses, and resistances of games like PoE, so YMMV. T:ToN is obviously a very different type of game and combat isn't the focus.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Airfoil posted:

I played through the entirety of the content in the beta (and there's quite a lot to do in that area!), I was only forced to fight things to the death a total of one time. I hope that stays true through the rest of the game.

Honestly, my real complaint is I dunno why anyone would ever play as anything but a Nano taking Scan Thoughts and Resourceful as first perks. Cyphers are plentiful and powerful enough to be used as main attacks so weapons are basically useless and as for the Jack's key ability: you can get an item that gives you the Jack's Flex Skill ability by taking one rank in Natural Lore and talking to the scribe in the Circus Plaza. Granted, Scan Thoughts is *not* as useful as it sounds you rarely are able to directly act on the knowledge gleaned from it, but it's a fun skill and that's quite a bit of text to miss in a game that's mostly about reading text...

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Honestly, my real complaint is I dunno why anyone would ever play as anything but a Nano taking Scan Thoughts and Resourceful as first perks. Cyphers are plentiful and powerful enough to be used as main attacks so weapons are basically useless and as for the Jack's key ability: you can get an item that gives you the Jack's Flex Skill ability by taking one rank in Natural Lore and talking to the scribe in the Circus Plaza. Granted, Scan Thoughts is *not* as useful as it sounds you rarely are able to directly act on the knowledge gleaned from it, but it's a fun skill and that's quite a bit of text to miss in a game that's mostly about reading text...

Glad to hear that the tradition of wizard supremacy from Planescape: Torment is kept.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ya know what game I really bounced off of? Wasteland 2. I know I"m not alone in that so for those that felt the same: how does this compare as the next inxile game?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZarquonHigardi posted:

I played through the entirety of the content in the beta (and there's quite a lot to do in that area!), I was only forced to fight things to the death a total of one time. I hope that stays true through the rest of the game.

They said during the kickstarter that entirely pacifist playthroughs will be possible, if very difficult.

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Honestly, my real complaint is I dunno why anyone would ever play as anything but a Nano taking Scan Thoughts and Resourceful as first perks.

I'm planning to go Jack first. Based on the Nano trailer, playing a Nano with Scan Thoughts looks like it will be a cheat mode equivalent to playing a Malkavian in Bloodlines. Much better to wait for the second playthrough.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Honestly, my real complaint is I dunno why anyone would ever play as anything but a Nano taking Scan Thoughts and Resourceful as first perks.

I played for a few hours as a Jack and it seemed well-balanced. Does level-up work the same for all characters? (Not Tier advancement, just the levels in between Tiers.)

MMF Freeway posted:

Ya know what game I really bounced off of? Wasteland 2. I know I"m not alone in that so for those that felt the same: how does this compare as the next inxile game?

Drastically better. The writing in particular, but there's improvement on every other front as well.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Cheston posted:

I played for a few hours as a Jack and it seemed well-balanced.

Yeah, the differences between the classes is actually fairly minor if you aren't getting in combat all the time (although that means Glaives are gonna have a lot of dead weight abilities unless you go looking for combat). Plus, you can get your companions to do just about any task for you (even the Diplomatic stuff), so it isn't a hard restriction at all.

Except for Scan Thoughts, of course :V

Cheston posted:

Does level-up work the same for all characters? (Not Tier advancement, just the levels in between Tiers.)
Yep, that's straight Numenera rules. 4 advancements need to be taken before you are considered the next Tier, and each advancement can be taken only one per tier.

For the curious, Tier 4 is the maximum Tier. You can still get another 4 advancements after that, though. Might change in the full version, who knows.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The media blast has begun. Have 115 minutes of footage. I'm not touching it with a barge poll, but some people are considerably less sensitive to spoilers than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC2klfo-4hk

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Yep, that's straight Numenera rules. 4 advancements need to be taken before you are considered the next Tier, and each advancement can be taken only one per tier.

For the curious, Tier 4 is the maximum Tier. You can still get another 4 advancements after that, though. Might change in the full version, who knows.

I suspect it might. We know there are new foci being introduced for example, and the tabletop specs up to 6.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Jesus are all companions humans? Seems lame after the cool diversity in Planescape

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

Jesus are all companions humans? Seems lame after the cool diversity in Planescape

There's at least one that isn't, based on the initial stretch goals. There's rumours on the official forums they've been cut, but as far as I can tell there's no actual evidence for that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Spent about a dozen hours tooling around in this now. Really like it. The writing's sharp - I found my eyes glazing over when reading a lot of PoE and, to a lesser degree, Tyranny - but the world here is such a good Dying Earth setting that I want to soak in all the details. I think maybe it's less tedious because it focuses more on the facts with the objects/people that make them weird and distinctive and part of the setting.

Something which hasn't been commented on that much but with which I've also been impressed are the graphics. The art and colours are very nice and creative. It makes the world look rich and vibrant. Some of the effects look nice and smooth, too - like the dropping water/light in the first area, and the way the new bridges are constructed. The only things I don't like are: (1) how they did character turning. Rather than the fast snap you see in PoE/Tyranny your character slooooowwwly turns around. (2) The interface is kind of ugly and utilitarian.

This game has sprung me to a fully erect three inches. Can't wait to get to play the full thing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In a really lovely move, inXile have cut the Italian translation and neglected to tell anyone, presumably so that people who'd only be able to play in Italian don't request refunds en masse.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

However, later in development, it became clear the costs for Italian localization would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and our stats and sales of prior RPGs showed the number of Italian backers and sales we could look forward to were too low to support those efforts. Rather than attempt a low-quality localization that would not do justice to the game or satisfy our fans, we ultimately made the difficult decision to not do an Italian version.

good poo poo

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Eh, I get why it was financially unfeasible (or at the very least, detrimental), but it's pretty bad form to sweep that under the rug and offer no official communication.

There's a chance there were backers who backed specifically because they wanted an Italian version, and they won't be able to ask for a refund if they aren't aware that 1) they should ask for that in the first place; 2) the possibility exists.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's a chance there were backers who backed specifically because they wanted an Italian version, and they won't be able to ask for a refund if they aren't aware that 1) they should ask for that in the first place; 2) the possibility exists.

That's what gets me. As I implied above, I wonder if thats exactly why they haven't told anyone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In fairness, inXile don't do updates very often and they're currently crunching to get the game out. *Still* an official update that reaches backers should be given.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm surprised they had an Italian localization planned in the first place to be fair.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In fairness, inXile don't do updates very often and they're currently crunching to get the game out. *Still* an official update that reaches backers should be given.

Presumably this isn't a recent decision though? Translations take a long time, especially for a text longer than the Bible. They must have known about this for ages.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kurtofan posted:

I'm surprised they had an Italian localization planned in the first place to be fair.

Yeah. Does italy even get games? Do they have computers there?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah. Does italy even get games? Do they have computers there?

yes that's what I've said.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sorry, I can't hear you. I tried to access the i-tallion internet, and now there's just pasta sauce and olive oil coming out of my computer.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a bunch of people on the InXile forums complaining about it but I mean... they're complaining in English... so...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
BREAKING NEWS: All Catholic employees of InXile excommunicated by Pope Francis for not providing Italian translation of video game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
What the gently caress is an italian?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Someone with excellent taste in track suits?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I really like pasta, does that count?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

There's a bunch of people on the InXile forums complaining about it but I mean... they're complaining in English... so...

Yes, but for someone who isn't an expert in the language reading a script like Torment's, with its use of purple prose, registers and vocabulary that are way out of the scope of day to day life, could effectively be a problem.

Besides, yeah, the people who are on the forums are probably there complaining in English, but there's also a long thread of comments on Multiplayer.it (the Italian videogame website that broke the news) that wasn't exactly very happy either.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

BREAKING NEWS: All Catholic employees of InXile excommunicated by Pope Francis for not providing Italian translation of video game.

I just got word that Italian translation wasn't just scrapped, turns out it was scrapped in favour of classical Latin, it was Papist plot all along.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yes, but for someone who isn't an expert in the language reading a script like Torment's, with its use of purple prose, registers and vocabulary that are way out of the scope of day to day life, could effectively be a problem.

Besides, yeah, the people who are on the forums are probably there complaining in English, but there's also a long thread of comments on Multiplayer.it (the Italian videogame website that broke the news) that wasn't exactly very happy either.

I'm kidding, it doesn't affect me at all but they've clearly been saying for some time that there'd be an Italian translation so dumping it is no good and not really saying so anywhere is double no good

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The official forums have turned into a den of paranoia that basically every stretch goal has been cut at this point. I maintain that if they haven't explicitly said it's still in, assume it's gone and it can be a pleasant surprise if it then turns up when you're playing the game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
la comedia e finita

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. I guess we've known that something was going very wrong over there since Saunders was forced out. I'm still reasonably hopeful that what we'll get out will be good, based on the responses people have had to the bits they've played, but who knows what it'll actually be at this point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

The official forums have turned into a den of paranoia that basically every stretch goal has been cut at this point. I maintain that if they haven't explicitly said it's still in, assume it's gone and it can be a pleasant surprise if it then turns up when you're playing the game.

Is there a place where they say these stretch goals have been cut?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. I guess we've known that something was going very wrong over there since Saunders was forced out. I'm still reasonably hopeful that what we'll get out will be good, based on the responses people have had to the bits they've played, but who knows what it'll actually be at this point.

He was forced out? Was he the writer or director or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

He was forced out? Was he the writer or director or something?

I don't think it was ever confirmed, for obvious reasons, but he'd made several postings around that time about what they were planning on doing with Torment, and had just set up a blog about it, implying that it wasn't expected, and he went to on to work somewhere else relatively soon after, so it probably wasn't a personal thing. It's more the relatively informed internet rumours about his departure than hard fact. He was the director until he left.

Edit: Here's the thread I remember all that from.

Jimbot posted:

Is there a place where they say these stretch goals have been cut?

It's based on the PS4 trophies and datamining of the beta, there's a thread in the spoiler section of the main forums where they're discussing it, but I've left the spoiler section well alone. There's a thread about the possible cutting of one or more of the companions in the non-spoiler section based on the same info, but because they were already officially announced during the kickstarter it stays there. I don't really want to know what's in the trophies though, so I've abandoned that thread too.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread