Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

First downside of my new job: the director just told us we're having biweekly two hour meetings.

I have never seen a meeting that regularly needs to be two hours long.

This is usually incompetence at some level. We used to have weekly company meetings that lasted 2-3 hours. I started paying attention to people complaining about non IT things and giving non IT solutions for several things (some things were IT solutions but often it would be why the gently caress are doing doing A B C D and E when you only need to do A and E? or BCD and be replaced with F)

Something is going horribly wrong and no one knows what it is and they are going to spend the time making excuses on why they are behind. See if you can get the meetings shorter that way.
We now have 30 minute long meetings and I don't really have anything to contribute to but we also skip a ton of them now (usually candled 10 minutes before it starts).

Either that or it's a long lunch that you also discuss stuff during. My last job the boss would pay for drinks and we'd leave 3 hours early for drinks + meeting for the IT department the last Friday of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crowley posted:

Are you kidding? I have so many ideas I can work on with this fantastic new knowledge! :parrot:

Oh, not trying to discourage anything. Just saying my own limitations when it comes to Powershell.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
You probably have to specify ManagedBy under -Properties, you can get any AD attribute that way. By default it only gets a hand full of the properties to speed up the searching.

I'm not able to verify that at the moment though.

I don't know if you were doing this already, but if you're trying to find all available members with get-member on a commandlette that has a properties value you generally need to specify -Properties *.

Sometimes you might even need to do | select *, think I've generally done that navigating the wim classes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

PBS posted:

You probably have to specify ManagedBy under -Properties, you can get any AD attribute that way. By default it only gets a hand full of the properties to speed up the searching.

I'm not able to verify that at the moment though.

I don't know if you were doing this already, but if you're trying to find all available members with get-member on a commandlette that has a properties value you generally need to specify -Properties *.

Sometimes you might even need to do | select *, think I've generally done that navigating the wim classes.

I just did a Get-ADUser -properties * on myself and don't even see a "ManagedBy" field. What version of Server is your DC running?

(Also while typing this post I attempted to tab-complete both Get-ADUser and -properties)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

I just did a Get-ADUser -properties * on myself and don't even see a "ManagedBy" field. What version of Server is your DC running?

(Also while typing this post I attempted to tab-complete both Get-ADUser and -properties)
It's Manager, not ManagedBy.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah I'm remembering wrong, that's what I get for not being able to check.

ManagedBy is not a property of the Users class, it's for Groups and a few other classes.

So yeah, you have to do another lookup to convert the Manager DN to a name or you can just manipulate the string if you only need their UID.

anthonypants posted:

It's Manager, not ManagedBy.

Yeah, we were aware of the manager attribute but looking for something that wasn't a DN.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, not trying to discourage anything. Just saying my own limitations when it comes to Powershell.
If you ever use VMWare's PowerCLI for vSphere management, they love to nest nonsense. A VM's PS object's attribute's sub-attributes are all objects and it's always an adventure figuring out if WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER or not to find the value we're looking for.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aunt Beth posted:

If you ever use VMWare's PowerCLI for vSphere management, they love to nest nonsense. A VM's PS object's attribute's sub-attributes are all objects and it's always an adventure figuring out if WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER or not to find the value we're looking for.
There's a -V2 switch for Get-EsxCli in 6.3 that exposes a markedly better method for using esxcli commands, and 6.5 is even a module instead of a snapin, so it's kind of like they're trying to improve?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aunt Beth posted:

Dicking around with error handling in PS for a couple of scripts I wrote definitely showed a little of that to me as well. $errCode = $_.exception.error.code, | gm-ing all the way (ho ho ho.)

I do have PowerCLI but we practically never touch the VM infra (it doesn't really run much from our side) so I haven't gotten a chance to use it at all.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

First downside of my new job: the director just told us we're having biweekly two hour meetings.

I have never seen a meeting that regularly needs to be two hours long.

I have an hour-long meeting scheduled every Tuesday morning with some lovely folks in Poland. Today it lasted a whole seven minutes before everyone said "Okay, that's all I got" and we ended the call.
Mondays, though, is an hour-long meeting with the Germans, and they get giddy when we finish with five minutes to spare because they have time to grab coffee before their next meeting.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Last week I watched my coworker blow their nose, then throw the Kleenex at the trash, and miss. Then leave it there. For two days. Then, I saw them notice it, and they delicately picked it up and put it in the trash can. Hahaha no just kidding they noticed it and instead of picking it up and putting it in the trash, they just picked up the trash can and put it on top of it.

The same person once threw a disposable plastic fork on the break room floor in front of our building's janitor. Then they looked back at the fork on the ground, LOCKED EYES with the guy, and walked way.

These may not seem like they're IT-related at first, but take all of this and imagine what their troubleshooting is like, and you would probably be 100% correct.

I have worked with this for 3.5 years and I have no idea how this person not only still has a job, but even EXISTS. I also have no idea how I've managed to not attempt to strangle them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pixaal posted:

This is usually incompetence at some level. We used to have weekly company meetings that lasted 2-3 hours. I started paying attention to people complaining about non IT things and giving non IT solutions for several things (some things were IT solutions but often it would be why the gently caress are doing doing A B C D and E when you only need to do A and E? or BCD and be replaced with F)

Something is going horribly wrong and no one knows what it is and they are going to spend the time making excuses on why they are behind. See if you can get the meetings shorter that way.
We now have 30 minute long meetings and I don't really have anything to contribute to but we also skip a ton of them now (usually candled 10 minutes before it starts).

Either that or it's a long lunch that you also discuss stuff during. My last job the boss would pay for drinks and we'd leave 3 hours early for drinks + meeting for the IT department the last Friday of the month.

A significant portion of the department hasn't even been here for a full month. The director has only been here for two or three. I really don't know what could be going on to warrant this.

I fully expect it's going to have a bunch of team specific discussion that would be a lot better suited to individual team meetings.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A significant portion of the department hasn't even been here for a full month. The director has only been here for two or three. I really don't know what could be going on to warrant this.

A new director wanting to establish his importance, probably.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why the gently caress doesn't exchange have an administrator recall function?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Do you really want to open that can of worms?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Because microsoft doesn't give a poo poo.

Only recourse is to delete the email administratively you are wanting to recall in powershell.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sickening posted:

Because microsoft doesn't give a poo poo.

Only recourse is to delete the email administratively you are wanting to recall in powershell.

Yeah, I had to do this. Not a bad process in the end, but when the superintendent comes flying down the hall to get an all staff email removed, I'd sure like a simpler process than have powershell trawl hundreds of inboxes over a half dozen databases and hope I didn't make a typo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, I had to do this. Not a bad process in the end, but when the superintendent comes flying down the hall to get an all staff email removed, I'd sure like a simpler process than have powershell trawl hundreds of inboxes over a half dozen databases and hope I didn't make a typo.
If they drop a letter in their mailbox, and it gets picked up by a mail carrier, how can they recover it before it gets delivered?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

anthonypants posted:

If they drop a letter in their mailbox, and it gets picked up by a mail carrier, how can they recover it before it gets delivered?

USPS actually offers recall service for anything sent priority mail, but it doesn't apply to letters sent first class obviously.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

anthonypants posted:

Email and physical mail are different things. I just want an audited process to mark that the private technology I operate for its owners can remove something sent in err.

Completely internal, by the way. Recalling something sent outside would be both stupid and impossible.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Email and physical mail are different things. I just want an audited process to mark that the private technology I operate for its owners can remove something sent in err.

Completely internal, by the way. Recalling something sent outside would be both stupid and impossible.
I wish you well on your attempt to educate them on why and how internal mail and external mail delivery are different, especially after you get a "recall message" button in-place.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

anthonypants posted:

I wish you well on your attempt to educate them on why and how internal mail and external mail delivery are different, especially after you get a "recall message" button in-place.

I wanted an administrator function. I imagine people administering exchange servers generally know the distinction.

And there's already a recall message button in place, in Outlook. This has never caused a problem (besides the fact it basically doesn't work.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

And there's already a recall message button in place, in Outlook. This has never caused a problem (besides the fact it basically doesn't work.)

I always thought that was like the "Close Door" button in elevators.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

Except everyone can see you try to hit it like an rear end in a top hat. I love getting the 'soandso would like to recall this message' emails.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Except everyone can see you try to hit it like an rear end in a top hat. I love getting the 'soandso would like to recall this message' emails.

TOO LATE! I READ YOUR EMAIL FULL OF INVECTIVE, BAD ENGLISH AND NOT ENOUGH COFFEE SENT TO THE "EVERYONE" MAIL LIST!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably a message approver can also be the person who sent the message. Might be worth turning that on for the all-staff DLs.

Edit: Nah it auto-approves.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

TOO LATE! I READ YOUR EMAIL FULL OF INVECTIVE, BAD ENGLISH AND NOT ENOUGH COFFEE SENT TO THE "EVERYONE" MAIL LIST!

Its more of a 'Thanks for the heads up, gonna go read that now!'

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flosofl posted:

Those work though, albeit only on some elevators. Most of the time, the button doesn't get hooked up anymore, and if a previously working door close button breaks few people bother to report it to get repaired.

There was an office building I was in once (in Midtown Manhattan) where the elevator door would stay open for like 5 minutes if you didn't push the door close button, and wouldn't move on to the floor you pressed until that happened. It was bizarre and I can only imagine the building owner was trying to cheap out on elevator repair somehow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fishmech posted:

Those work though, albeit only on some elevators. Most of the time, the button doesn't get hooked up anymore, and if a previously working door close button breaks few people bother to report it to get repaired.

There was an office building I was in once (in Midtown Manhattan) where the elevator door would stay open for like 5 minutes if you didn't push the door close button, and wouldn't move on to the floor you pressed until that happened. It was bizarre and I can only imagine the building owner was trying to cheap out on elevator repair somehow.

I thought they had all been disconnected for legal reasons in recent years(something about the ADA iirc). Someone on these forums posted a link about it, but I can't find it.

\/\/\/\/\/ Thanks

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RFC2324 posted:

I thought they had all been disconnected for legal reasons in recent years(something about the ADA iirc). Someone on these forums posted a link about it, but I can't find it.

https://qz.com/822873/close-door-buttons-on-elevators-dont-work/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

Theoretically they should have been disconnected for a while, but there's plenty of places where nobody's wanted to hire an elevator repair guy to come out and do that.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Theoretically they should have been disconnected for a while, but there's plenty of places where nobody's wanted to hire an elevator repair guy to come out and do that.

This is news to me. They had to put up signs at work telling people to stop pressing it because they were closing the doors before people could get into the open elevators.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

I hope for your sake you don't have a SOX-compliant archiving solution.

You hit "send", that poo poo sticks for life. Life being about 7 years, anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RFC2324 posted:

I hate the ones where they recall the message and then send a seemingly identical one immediately after.

Because I have to compare the two to find out what is different and why they thought it was significant and that can take a while if the message is long.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

xsf421 posted:

This is news to me. They had to put up signs at work telling people to stop pressing it because they were closing the doors before people could get into the open elevators.

This is what literally 100% of people in the building I work in do. Better hope you're not more than two paces from the lift once the doors open, because either the person already in the lift or the first person to enter it is going to start mashing Close like a motherfucker! I am a cranky old bastard now and will run up to an available lift and jam my hands in like the T-1000 to force the sensor to open the door again. Oh I'm so sorry the door almost closed and then opened again! You must be at least six seconds late now! Except if you'd just waited for the doors to close like a polite person, in which case I wouldn't think you're a twat and you'd be exactly as late

The other group of fuckwits is the "must stare at cellphone whenever away from my desk and in motion" crowd. Once they get in the lift, they stand in front of the door panel, stare at their phone, and use their phone to mash Close, regardless of whether the door has only just opened or whether people are actively getting on or off. I've had to bat people's hand away a couple of times and explain to them like a child that no, you don't push that when people are getting on or off. Morons.

Regarding email missends: lol if you don't have an automatic two-minute delay rule configured on all outgoing emails. That has saved me in more than handful of occasions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weatherman posted:

Regarding email missends: lol if you don't have an automatic two-minute delay rule configured on all outgoing emails. That has saved me in more than handful of occasions.

:monocle:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Weatherman posted:

I like the cut of this guy's jib

nominal posted:

Last week I watched my coworker blow their nose, then throw the Kleenex at the trash, and miss. Then leave it there. For two days. Then, I saw them notice it, and they delicately picked it up and put it in the trash can. Hahaha no just kidding they noticed it and instead of picking it up and putting it in the trash, they just picked up the trash can and put it on top of it.

The same person once threw a disposable plastic fork on the break room floor in front of our building's janitor. Then they looked back at the fork on the ground, LOCKED EYES with the guy, and walked way.

These may not seem like they're IT-related at first, but take all of this and imagine what their troubleshooting is like, and you would probably be 100% correct.

I have worked with this for 3.5 years and I have no idea how this person not only still has a job, but even EXISTS. I also have no idea how I've managed to not attempt to strangle them.
Our entire floor does this which is composed of three businesses. The cleaners or someone has taken to sticking up posters on every toilet explaining how to properly use them, as lots of people wash their hands and dry them with TP which gets tossed in the bog and never flushed which leads to constant blockages, instead of using the bins or hand driers. I keep saying if the building management just invested in decent driers like Dyson airblades or something it would solve the lazy human problem, instead we get days where one of the rooms was pumped and caused the whole floor to reek of raw sewage for half the day.

This has also caused a rift between the businesses as people have started accusing each other of constantly loving up the toilets, people are weird mang.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Our cleaning lady (I presume) keeps opening the bathroom window and turning the radiator down to freezeprevention. A few weeks back I decided I got fed up by the cold-arse toilet and turned on the radiator and noticed that the bathroom actually has forced air, so I also closed the window. For a day or so the temperature on the shitter was finally decent. This didn't last long, someone keeps opening the window and turning the radiator off now. Considering the company that actually owns the toilets I am contemplating if it is one of those 'Make employees stay in there as little as possible' schemes like sandpaper-tp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe someone has particularly foul shits and is trying to be courteous about it. They turn off the heat to try and avoid dumping the warmth straight out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Or maybe someone has particularly foul shits and is trying to be courteous about it. They turn off the heat to try and avoid dumping the warmth straight out the window.

I was thinking something along these lines... the warmer it is the worse things stink