Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm welding! :science:
These are my first few attempts ever

I'm loving terrible!!!! And I'm going to weld a new bung onto my exhaust and fabricate some basic mounts in my engine compartment :downs:

Did you repair my exhaust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Did you repair my exhaust?

I also see he was the po of my truck

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Middle of: completely redecorating my bedroom, building a bedroom set (bed/nightstands/chest-of-drawers), finding new job, and dating a pretty awesome gal.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

the level where you get the glove/bracelet that lets you slip between timelines so you can just dance around any and all danger and snap necks until you've had your fill.
Apparently the developers had a type of game jam where they came up with ideas for cool setpieces and levels and then basically made them and strung them all together with a loose kinda story. The factory level was particularly great, climbing up to the top with everything tilted sideways really messed with my head. Also EVA 8 shotgun 4 lyfe...
Titanfall 2 was/is great. Several levels are awesome, and the one you mention is only one of them.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 25, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

angryrobots posted:

I heard a piece on npr yesterday about Holland of all places becoming anti-muslim immigration.

They worry about conservative religious persons not fitting in with their established liberal values. That's an interesting spin, I thought.

I thought Holland was actually quite classically conservative, which is how they have lots of individual freedom? "You mind your own business and i'll mind mine" etc?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

My wife found these things today which amuse me

And I thought of your question

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

I have a big bag of nails that I'm playing with, but it's just really hard to see what I'm doing with that dark screen in front of my eyes

Same, I have an old 1950s welding mask with a flip down eye visor. I need to go buy an auto-darkening helmet.

Adiabatic posted:

Working on fixing a friend's 3D printer and cleared the garage to get the Audi 90 Quattro ready for this engine overhaul, as well as practicing Java/Springboot and Welding.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

I thought Holland was actually quite classically conservative, which is how they have lots of individual freedom? "You mind your own business and i'll mind mine" etc?
This the Mark Rutte advert thing? It comes across as that they're happy for anyone to join them in having the freedoms available in their country, but if you either object to said freedoms being universal, use yours to interfere with those of others, or pull out the race card the instant you're called on doing that poo poo, you can gently caress right off.

I must say I find it hard to find fault with them for that. If there's a feeling like that in the country, and you don't address it reasonably, the people who address it unreasonably will make more political headway.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

Same, I have an old 1950s welding mask with a flip down eye visor. I need to go buy an auto-darkening helmet.

I have a cheap mask off of amazon, but I've taken to working with a blinding spotlight on whenever I weld. An auto darkening helmet sounds wonderful

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adiabatic posted:

I'm really enjoying running my Automation challenge right now...sounds lame I know but watching people build virtual race cars is still a lot of fun for me. :unsmith:

Speaking of which, AI, why haven't I heard from y'all yet? :v:

Also I am in the middle of some other silly little projects around the house that, while none of them are particularly consequential, give me joy from the satisfaction of a job well done.

Good thing too because I'm gonna have to ride this wave through the poo poo sandwich of expensive dental work (a good part of which isn't covered by my company's lovely group health plan) that I will need to deal with in the next few weeks.

fridge corn posted:

Have you ever read Tai-pan?

The whole Clavell Asia Saga is worth reading. I especially enjoyed Whirlwind.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's with this #freemelania bs? I have as much sympathy for her as I do Eva Braun. She's a liar, a plagiarist and fully complicit in the destruction of our country.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

blk posted:

What's with this #freemelania bs? I have as much sympathy for her as I do Eva Braun. She's a liar, a plagiarist and fully complicit in the destruction of our country.

She's married to a monster with NPD, and her getting left behind mixed with her defensive, appeasement smile during the inauguration won her a lot of sympathy. Mine included
My girlfriend's mother has BPD and it makes life miserable for everyone, I can't imagine how much NPD must suck to live with

E: also with the executive orders, this is a huge, unprecedented power grab and non of the "small government" evangelists are willing to do anything about it now that the guy writing them has an (R) instead of a (D) next to his name on C-Span

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My girlfriend's father has been given 10-15 days to live. Looks like the experimental treatment is in actuality killing him faster. I don't know what I did to deserve this dogpile but I would very much like to lodge a complaint with the home office.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

She's married to a monster with NPD, and her getting left behind mixed with her defensive, appeasement smile during the inauguration won her a lot of sympathy. Mine included
My girlfriend's mother has BPD and it makes life miserable for everyone, I can't imagine how much NPD must suck to live with

E: also with the executive orders, this is a huge, unprecedented power grab and non of the "small government" evangelists are willing to do anything about it now that the guy writing them has an (R) instead of a (D) next to his name on C-Span

She's married, not enslaved - she can walk any time, and so far all she's done is enable him.

My father in law lives in Seattle and loves to discuss the 'wasteful' infrastructure spending the city does with me (burying the Alaskan Viaduct with a custom tunneling machine that breaks all the time, building a floating bridge with defective pontoons, the new bus rapid transit system that doesn't improve trip times, and the huge outlays for a new light rail network).

I can't wait to send him a zinger tomorrow about the wall.

blk fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 25, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend's father has been given 10-15 days to live. Looks like the experimental treatment is in actuality killing him faster. I don't know what I did to deserve this dogpile but I would very much like to lodge a complaint with the home office.
gently caress man, we're here for you. Well, as much as strangers on the interbutts can be.

blk posted:

She's married, not enslaved - she can walk any time, and so far all she's done is enable him.

Don't think too hard about it. It is tongue in cheek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am an animal lover, I love my cats and would be crushed if one died.

But somebody just equated the death of their cat with the murder of my friend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn their loving house down.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

But somebody just equated the death of their cat with the murder of my friend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn their loving house down.
People are really bad at expressing sympathy (which is one reason I don't do it as much as I should), try not to take it personally, their heartsw are probably in the right place.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It may also be the only grief reference they have, if they've never lost anyone close to themselves before. So it sounds poo poo, but they're trying.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

It may also be the only grief reference they have, if they've never lost anyone close to themselves before. So it sounds poo poo, but they're trying.

Yeah, I've been trying to reform my own assholeness my trying to remember to "never assume malice when ignorance or stupidity will suffice." I'm not always successful, but it has brought my blood pressure down a bit.
The vast majority of people aren't really terrible assholes, they just don't realize they're being assholes, myself included.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to reform my own assholeness my trying to remember to "never assume malice when ignorance or stupidity will suffice." I'm not always successful, but it has brought my blood pressure down a bit.
The vast majority of people aren't really terrible assholes, they just don't realize they're being assholes, myself included.

Well, you're wrong.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

Well, you're wrong.
I think it is true, and I work in a field (criminal law) that breeds a lot of cynicism. There are assholes out there, but most of them aren't actually trying to be assholes.
This doesn't mean they won't do bad, hosed up poo poo, but most people are less terrible than we think. We just automatically assume the worst, which coincidentally is what they're doing too. I also tie the rise in this kind of thinking to the rise of Trumpism, which seems to assume the worst of everyone (except for the Donald, of course).

This doesn't mean there aren't irredeemable sociopaths and terrible people out there, but it is a lower number than people think.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

loving hell man, that's some heavy poo poo heaped on you. I'm sorry.
How's everyone in the homestead taking the news?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

I think it is true, and I work in a field (criminal law) that breeds a lot of cynicism. There are assholes out there, but most of them aren't actually trying to be assholes.
This doesn't mean they won't do bad, hosed up poo poo, but most people are less terrible than we think. We just automatically assume the worst, which coincidentally is what they're doing too. I also tie the rise in this kind of thinking to the rise of Trumpism, which seems to assume the worst of everyone (except for the Donald, of course).

This doesn't mean there aren't irredeemable sociopaths and terrible people out there, but it is a lower number than people think.

If we're setting the rear end in a top hat bar at constantly doing criminal poo poo, then no, most people aren't assholes.

If we set the bar at doing terrible things you know you can get away with regardless of the harm it does, then most people are assholes. Trump isn't an exception, he's the proof. You can't throw a rock at a black guy, but you can elect a racist who will pay a cop to shoot the black guy.

On the criminal side, even if cracky mccrackhead doesn't fully consider the damage he does when he smashes a $200 window to grab $10 worth of change out of the cupholder of your car, whether he's trying to be or not, he's an rear end in a top hat.

Willful ignorance is as bad as malice, possibly worse. Most assholes do bad poo poo while telling themselves they're doing good. They get angry if it's pointed out they're doing bad poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The thousands of people you encounter who aren't assholes never register on your radar. Confirmation bias? Either way, remember everyone is a person with a life and they were once a child and they're probably scared of the unknown and don't know what they're doing with their life.

Also that whole "we judge ourselves by our intentions but others by their actions" thing. No doubt something you've done and can perfectly justify to yourself has had an rear end in a top hat-like effect on someone else and now they think you're an rear end in a top hat.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

nm posted:

People are really bad at expressing sympathy (which is one reason I don't do it as much as I should), try not to take it personally, their heartsw are probably in the right place.

You could also be talking to an aspie, like me, who legitimately cannot understand the concept of grief.
When I console the grieving I try to be nothing more than a stable, stoic presence. A lot of that stoicism is out of fear of making things worse due to my ignorance, but I do genuinely want to help those in need...

That fear came about after I saw my best friend at in the casket during his wake(family had a private funeral). Bummed about the private service, a few of our friends resolved throw a party in his honor. He was joyful man who had lost one too many fights with depression, it made sense that his memory would be best honored by making people happy. When I asked another of my friends to come to the party, she asked what the gently caress was wrong with me... I couldn't answer her and the look of disgust she gave me has been burned into my skull forever. I don't verbalize much with the bereaved anymore

Fake Edit: This might help someone, maybe? After typing the first thing out and reading it back, I feel compelled to also share this more recent story. Spoiler tags to try to hide the creeping existential dread
One of my childhood friends, who I grew up next door too and was like a sister to me, recently died choking in her sleep from seizures. My response to the news wasn't sadness, it was a flat, "what did you expect to happen to someone who has a poorly controlled seizure disorder?" I was instead annoyed that she wasn't admitted to the hospital for observation due to recurrent grand mal seizures when that is the most prudent reaction to her remission. It was an easily preventable death if her neurologist had her admitted or she had listened to her neurologist in general.
I went to be with her family. A man and a woman who helped raise me, cried to me about how much they missed their daughter. I got drunk with her brother, who took care of me while my brother was in Iraq. He just thanked me for being there and stared off into space after a while. The entire day I spent with them, all I could think about was how guilty I felt to not be sad. I didn't miss her when everyone else did.
At the funeral a day or two later, I couldn't figure out why people were crying. She had been dead a while, people already had time to cry and get the sadness out of their systems. Now was the time to celebrate the life she shared with us, but still everyone else was sad. I felt so completely alienated, I couldn't feel the basic human emotions that a church full of people did. Even after her grieving father had held me, and cried into my chest about how he'd miss his beautiful little girl, I only ever felt bad because I didn't feel bad about my friend's death when everyone else did.

Even now I feel pangs of guilt for not ever being sad about the death of the loved one. It's a selfishness in the face of tragedy that I don't want, and dwelling on that thought just makes the guilt worse because I can't manage an ounce of empathy for people who are basically family. That image of the indomitable man, who towered so high in my memories, sobbing into my shirt while I can't even manage to understand why he's crying is loving grim...

The thousands of people you encounter who aren't assholes never register on your radar. Confirmation bias? Either way, remember everyone is a person with a life and they were once a child and they're probably scared of the unknown and don't know what they're doing with their life.

Also that whole "we judge ourselves by our intentions but others by their actions" thing. No doubt something you've done and can perfectly justify to yourself has had an rear end in a top hat-like effect on someone else and now they think you're an rear end in a top hat.

I'll bastardize a MiB quote on this one: "A person is good, people are terrible." Humans as a whole are awful to one another, but I'd say that the majority of individuals try to help one another.
Intentional or not, you can't deny that it's a global butterfly effect of lovely repercussions as we all try to ensure the wellbeing of our own friends and family. Resources must be obtained, people need to move, food needs to be grown, water needs to be purified, waste must be removed, services must be compensated, goods must be exchanged; people must consume to live. No matter how hard you try, due to the scale that humanity operates upon, the act of a person consuming anything will make the world worse in some way for another person

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

mariooncrack posted:

Unfortunately I do not. I don't really play gigs or anything, just play for myself for fun.

Since others posted pictures of their guitars, I'll share some of my Violin:

The top is Italian Spruce and the back is Romanian Maple. Pictures don't do enough justice for the top, it has much more of what they call "bearclaw."

I have a viola from the same maker but I don't have any pictures on hand.

holy gently caress that is pretty

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yo the world needs strong and stoic people to break down around. Your memory of your friend's dad towering high is the way a majority of people view you. Keep on doing what you're doing and certainly don't feel bad about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MrChips posted:

I'm really enjoying running my Automation challenge right now...sounds lame I know but watching people build virtual race cars is still a lot of fun for me. :unsmith:

Speaking of which, AI, why haven't I heard from y'all yet? :v:

Has Automation stopped being a sack of crap? :v:

Adiabatic posted:

Yo the world needs strong and stoic people to break down around. Your memory of your friend's dad towering high is the way a majority of people view you. Keep on doing what you're doing and certainly don't feel bad about it.

Quoting this for truth. People cope differently with death. Some need to grieve and vent it out, some people keep it emotionally remote and just get on with what needs doing.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

nm posted:

I agree with you completely. I live by Hanlon's Razor, the Dunning-Krueger Effect, and the quote by Stephen R. Covey: "We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their actions". It's allowed me to see the good in anyone.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

angryrobots posted:

My wife found these things today which amuse me

And I thought of your question

ahahaha holy poo poo those are excellent

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

http://emilymcdowell.com/collections/empathy-cards/products/hamster-empathy-card

Wish I could send this to you now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ilkhan posted:

Titanfall 2 was/is great. Several levels are awesome, and the one you mention is only one of them.

Word, I need to run through the campaign a few more times but I find going online and punching squishy humans as a giant robot immensely satisfying so I'm enjoying it while I can.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

This one joke I heard years ago about manly men who are stoic as a defining feature really stuck in my craw and I've been making a concerted effort to be more open and emotive, as to not be a dick. As long as some people find it comforting, I guess I can be all strong and silent it knowing that I'm making things better instead of just "not worse." Although not feeling guilty will probably take years of therapy haha...

I don't remember where or when I came across it, but it's from a much larger piece about toxic masculinity and what it means to be a man in a society that no longer needs "men" as they were defined in the early 20th century. The jist of the joke is "The manliest of men across all cultures have 5 defining characteristics, they're physically strong, they are stoic and wise, they protect those they care about, they have an iron will, and finally they're providers. Imagine if that's all that defined you as a person, now imagine interacting with that on an emotional level. You'd have better chances to find out what the wall is feeling. By most rights the "manliest of men" aren't even people, a tree fills all of those criteria better than any actual human can, and will probably end up being a more emotionally available father or husband than self proclaimed "manly men"."

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Speaking off the cuff, that quote sounds more like affirmation to a male who doesn't want to have those traits. That doesn't mean it's a Bad Thing if you do have those traits.

Humanity ain't homogeneous. People who want to break out of historical "molds" of personality are mostly free to do so at present, but it doesn't mean it's wrong to be that way.

I identify as stoic (and an attack helicopter) because my thinking and personality sort of revolve around stoicism. To say it's wrong to do so, when I'm not hurting anyone else by any measure but indeed actively trying to help, is at best hypocritical.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

loving hell man, that's some heavy poo poo heaped on you. I'm sorry.
How's everyone in the homestead taking the news?

My stepfather died of cancer a bit over a year ago so my mother is already terrified about what this will do to my girlfriend. Her mother passed away some years ago so she's on the edge of a full meltdown. It's going to be bad.

I'm also wallowing again and since my retail therapy didn't work out I think I want to buy this

'88 929. I just need a distraction, this would do the job.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well I'm drunk waiting for a cab that will probably never come. I was trying to look at the stars to pass time but no gently caress you clouds. Life is poo poo. Life is a series of small tragedies and what you make of them is who you are. I don't mean to belittle anyone's tragedies, only to perhaps suggest that in the fullness of time they may not seem so all consuming. On re-reading I'd change everything and nothing

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

I think I want to buy this

'88 929. I just need a distraction, this would do the job.

Thats pretty slick, is it on bags or is that the ride height? Thats super low.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

Thats pretty slick, is it on bags or is that the ride height? Thats super low.

The seller says " It's only modifications are tokico blue struts and eibach springs from a fc rx7." He wants $1500 as is or $1800 with these wheels

"18x8.5 racing harts up front 18x9 enkies in the rear"

I have the money, just don't know if I want to dive into another car in this mental state or not.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

How will your missus react if you turn up with another car?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How will your missus react if you turn up with another car?

She'll be irritated but it's not a deal breaker. We had a really good talk about finances a few weeks ago and she said "You would poo poo your pants if you knew how much I spend on makeup." As long as I don't drag down our standard of living she's fine with most of my decisions. Plus this one can live at my dad's house. He's having a large new driveway poured as well as a blacktopped area for his trailer. He's welcomed me to store two cars there if I wish too.

This ir probably not the best thing to do right now but it''s 80's as hell and rwd so I think I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

From a person who recently made a financial decision in a highly-emotional state, don't make financial decisions in highly-emotional states.

• Locked thread