Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)? For example, the sort of thing where most guys reading it might think "I want to date a girl like that" and most girls reading it would also think "I want to date a guy like that"? It seems like the overwhelming majority are written from the perspective of the male/female protagonist who the reader is supposed to relate to in some way (and is usually average in appearance/social skills, if not worse) dating/pursuing someone who is obviously portrayed as being more attractive and desirable. I guess the main reason I'm wondering about this is that a lot of romance manga give me this sort of cognitive dissonance where I'm constantly thinking "why would this person be attracted to this other person", and even when it's plausible it doesn't feel that natural.

Shounen/seinen romance is obviously a little worse in this regard, in that the guy is almost always average at best and usually is pretty socially awkward. Shoujo/josei is also usually like this, though there seem to be more frequent exceptions (I'm pretty sure I've encountered Shoujo comics where the protagonist is explicitly supposed to be really pretty/attractive). But even then, the romantic interest is usually someone "above" the protagonist in appearance and/or social/financial status.

One example I think people might give but that I actually disagree with is Bonnouji. While it's better than most in this regard, I still get the distinct impression that most guys reading it are supposed to think "I would like to date that woman" about the woman, but most women reading would not think "I would want to date that guy " (I mean, some might, but it's still obviously meant to appeal mostly to male sensibilities). Like, the guy definitely has his poo poo together more than most male leads in non-shoujo/josei manga, but it doesn't feel like he's written in a way that is intended to be appealing to women.

(I'm sort of omitting comedy-focused manga here, since I know there are some exceptions in that genre, usually in shoujo manga.)

Maybe Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki?

It's pretty obviously tilted towards the male lead's perspective (and occasional cheesecake shots) but the two of them seems like a pretty reasonable couple. There's no ridiculous drama or fights, just two kids being sweet on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Horimiya...

New Yona too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It must be a Hori thing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)? For example, the sort of thing where most guys reading it might think "I want to date a girl like that" and most girls reading it would also think "I want to date a guy like that"? It seems like the overwhelming majority are written from the perspective of the male/female protagonist who the reader is supposed to relate to in some way (and is usually average in appearance/social skills, if not worse) dating/pursuing someone who is obviously portrayed as being more attractive and desirable. I guess the main reason I'm wondering about this is that a lot of romance manga give me this sort of cognitive dissonance where I'm constantly thinking "why would this person be attracted to this other person", and even when it's plausible it doesn't feel that natural.
Hmm, this is tricky since it's very subjective.

Drama:
Tetsugaku Letra - both characters are somewhat dysfunctional, but they are both talented and dedicated to their dreams/equally attractive. Not exactly romantic maybe.

Comedy:
Odette - main lady is cute, main man is a cat-person. Both appear to be working professionals with fairly well balanced personalities...

I started this post thinking I'd have more suggestions. Mind is blank though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Hmm, this is tricky since it's very subjective.

Drama:
Tetsugaku Letra - both characters are somewhat dysfunctional, but they are both talented and dedicated to their dreams/equally attractive. Not exactly romantic maybe.

Comedy:
Odette - main lady is cute, main man is a cat-person. Both appear to be working professionals with fairly well balanced personalities...

I started this post thinking I'd have more suggestions. Mind is blank though.

Tetsugaku Letra was super great. I'd say it's probably a bit skewed towards male readers (even though she's tall, the girl is still conventionally cute compared to the guy who is kinda mousy), but it's still one of my favorite romance/drama manga (I guess you could call it sports also, but it felt more like a character drama).

Odette is more of a comedy than a romance/drama, so I'm not sure how much it counts.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Koi Inu, maybe?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah Odette was a joke rec when I ran out of ideas.

It is pretty remarkable how rare parity between love interests is. Obviously asymmetry is easier to write conflict around but there's room for that in stories about equals as well.

I've started reading so many seemingly promising seinen romances before dropping them when they basically amount to beautiful​-girl-saves-boring-guy from the prison of his mundane existence...

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Ytlaya posted:

Shounen/seinen romance is obviously a little worse in this regard, in that the guy is almost always average at best and usually is pretty socially awkward. Shoujo/josei is also usually like this, though there seem to be more frequent exceptions (I'm pretty sure I've encountered Shoujo comics where the protagonist is explicitly supposed to be really pretty/attractive). But even then, the romantic interest is usually someone "above" the protagonist in appearance and/or social/financial status.

One example I think people might give but that I actually disagree with is Bonnouji. While it's better than most in this regard, I still get the distinct impression that most guys reading it are supposed to think "I would like to date that woman" about the woman, but most women reading would not think "I would want to date that guy " (I mean, some might, but it's still obviously meant to appeal mostly to male sensibilities). Like, the guy definitely has his poo poo together more than most male leads in non-shoujo/josei manga, but it doesn't feel like he's written in a way that is intended to be appealing to women.

(I'm sort of omitting comedy-focused manga here, since I know there are some exceptions in that genre, usually in shoujo manga.)

Hmm, well Horimiya comes to mind as the best example of this. Their relationship and its effect on those around them is portrayed in a very realistic manner and I've never viewed the male lead as someone a girl wouldn't see something in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah Odette was a joke rec when I ran out of ideas.

It is pretty remarkable how rare parity between love interests is. Obviously asymmetry is easier to write conflict around but there's room for that in stories about equals as well.

I've started reading so many seemingly promising seinen romances before dropping them when they basically amount to beautiful​-girl-saves-boring-guy from the prison of his mundane existence...

I think it's less due to asymmetry being easier to write, and more due to the fact that wish fulfillment is a major role of most romance stories, regardless of what gender they're aimed towards. If, for example, the male protagonist of a shounen/seinen romance is good looking and interesting, most readers have a harder time relating to them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
It really speaks volumes about the readerbase doesn't it.

Though I guess you could still have a pair on equal footing with your worthless otaku insert male MC. He'd just have to be dating the watamote chick.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Pavlov posted:

It really speaks volumes about the readerbase doesn't it.

Though I guess you could still have a pair on equal footing with your worthless otaku insert male MC. He'd just have to be dating the watamote chick.

So basically Netoyome.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yes but minus the moe.

And the schizophrenia.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I imagine the fact that almost all manga published begins and ends as a serialization in a magazine with editors who have a pretty specific (and very gendered) demographic they're trying to appeal to has a significant effect on how rare this seems to be.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've been going through some of the Manga Taishou 2017 titles, and just read the first two volumes of Watashi no Shounen. Not entirely sure what thread it should go in, since BookLive stuffed it in the josei genre, while it's somehow ranked #2 on the guy side of Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2017 making seinen more fitting? But then it seems to be going toward some kind of strange romance, because the author was muttering something about Ashton and Demi's marriage in the afterword, so maybe this is the place after all.

Anyway, it's about a 30-year-old woman who befriends a lonely 12-year-old boy over soccer, and worries about him a bunch while feeling awkward about their relationship, since she shouldn't really be butting in on his family issues. Meanwhile a girl in the boy's class takes note of the woman, and things seem to be spiralling into complexity. As someone who once was a real 12-year-old boy, the character feels peculiar to some degree, but then it was apparently planned as an older man / young girl story at first, so maybe that has something to do with it. Reasonably pleasant read so far, in any case. Maybe it'll eventually become a half-finished anime adaptation that people can enjoy while pretending the manga ending doesn't exist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pavlov posted:

Well, it's not just from a male standpoint that you get this sort of thing; shoujo stuff where some wallflower girl attracts the attention of the super popular rich zaibatsu heir is also really common.

z0glin Warchief posted:

I imagine the fact that almost all manga published begins and ends as a serialization in a magazine with editors who have a pretty specific (and very gendered) demographic they're trying to appeal to has a significant effect on how rare this seems to be.

Yeah, I think there's a bit of self-reinforcing element due to this, especially with respect to shoujo manga, which is nearly always some combination of romance/drama/comedy. Like, girls would probably be willing to read other stuff, but it's safer to stick to what works and magazines are probably usually risk-averse in this regard. I also think that girls are more willing to read the stuff in shounen magazines than vice versa, so the "non-romance manga that girls want to read" need is being met by shounen/seinen magazines.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

darkgray posted:

I've been going through some of the Manga Taishou 2017 titles, and just read the first two volumes of Watashi no Shounen. Not entirely sure what thread it should go in, since BookLive stuffed it in the josei genre, while it's somehow ranked #2 on the guy side of Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2017 making seinen more fitting? But then it seems to be going toward some kind of strange romance, because the author was muttering something about Ashton and Demi's marriage in the afterword, so maybe this is the place after all.

Anyway, it's about a 30-year-old woman who befriends a lonely 12-year-old boy over soccer, and worries about him a bunch while feeling awkward about their relationship, since she shouldn't really be butting in on his family issues. Meanwhile a girl in the boy's class takes note of the woman, and things seem to be spiralling into complexity. As someone who once was a real 12-year-old boy, the character feels peculiar to some degree, but then it was apparently planned as an older man / young girl story at first, so maybe that has something to do with it. Reasonably pleasant read so far, in any case. Maybe it'll eventually become a half-finished anime adaptation that people can enjoy while pretending the manga ending doesn't exist.

I really liked Takano HItomi's BL title “Su” no Tsuku Kotoba de Itte Kure, but I'm wary of Watashi no Shounen's possible-romance so I haven't given it a shot. She has a Tumblr, if you're interested: http://htminfo.tumblr.com. It's mostly just release notices.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The soccer angle intrigues me. Has it been translated anywhere?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been reading Beauty Game recently. I usually don't read manhua and the art for this could be more refined, but somehow it's kind of kept my interest, probably because it's like Kasane in terms of premise (ugly girl who doesn't have a goody-two-shoes personality has a means to become beautiful but at a cost), but definitely takes it in a different direction.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I wish shoujo mags still ran sci fi epics by complete technical monster artists and hosed up early BL with cool super femme art

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
this trend in romance is good imo because I can self insert into the worthless nerd girl with the hot and successful boyfriend

Slow Motion, which may have already been mentioned, fits your criteria pretty well though I think

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I love me some josei drama and so far, this one called Haru no Noroi or the Curse of Spring is delivering. About a young woman whose little sister dies and she starts dating said sister's fiance.

It's very expository, more so than most typical manga, but I like the art style.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 27, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In today's Tomo-chan,

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Slow Motion.

Also new Bright and Cheery Amnesia.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I just picked up slow motion and I love it, but it took me a few chapters to not just think of those "I was born in the wrong generation" people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Slow Motion because it introduced me to Akina Nakamori who did some great pop music.

edit: Haha, the part where he just starts touching her hair in chapter 5.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 26, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anyone following Kuzu no Honkai this season? It's about a highschool girl who's crushing on her neighbor/teacher and meets a guy in another class who is crushing on his former tutor/teacher and they decide to be each others substitutes. I've watched the current three episodes and I'm not sure about it. On one hand part of me want to keep watching but on the other it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was familiar with it from seeing the manga pop up in update lists but it never looked like one I wanted to check out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)?

Let me think about all the series I've read in the past...

I thought FMA had a realistic main couples like Izumi and her husband, Ed/Winry, and Roy/Riza.

Paradise Kiss: had a attractive main couple who broke up but still were together for most of the series.

For historical romance there's A Bride's Story with the younger couple of Pariya/Umar who are both silly kids.

Sakamichi no Apollon: The main couple is are both average looking people who end up married later on. Ofc there's Junichi/Yurika who are both above average looking people who end up together too.

Zetsuen no Tempest: Aika/Yoshino work well together with the similar personalities and being HS students.

Kekkaishi: Tokine/Yoshimori both are HS students who are friends that share work exp due to their family history.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)?

Would His and Hers Circumstances fit the bill? Technically both of the MC's are "perfect" with their own internal hidden flaws (seen by the viewers) but they totally would make sense as a match up. I got up to episode 5 before I got pulled away but never got the time to finish it seemed to be more of SoL with comedy, then just a straight forward romance.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Poil posted:

Anyone following Kuzu no Honkai this season? It's about a highschool girl who's crushing on her neighbor/teacher and meets a guy in another class who is crushing on his former tutor/teacher and they decide to be each others substitutes. I've watched the current three episodes and I'm not sure about it. On one hand part of me want to keep watching but on the other it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Everything Burrito posted:

I was familiar with it from seeing the manga pop up in update lists but it never looked like one I wanted to check out.

As someone who follows the manga because it's kind of fun to see people gently caress up and be terrible as they try to think through why they're so terrible

Yeah, it's gonna make you uncomfortable as gently caress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Let me think about all the series I've read in the past...

I thought FMA had a realistic main couples like Izumi and her husband, Ed/Winry, and Roy/Riza.

Paradise Kiss: had a attractive main couple who broke up but still were together for most of the series.

For historical romance there's A Bride's Story with the younger couple of Pariya/Umar who are both silly kids.

FMA doesn't quite count since it's not focused on romance/drama. Paradise Kiss is very obviously aimed at women, even though it's possible for either gender to enjoy it. It's far more likely that girls/women reading it will find the men appealing than vice versa.

A Bride's Story fits pretty well, though it's more of a slice of life kind of thing than an actual drama, at least with regards to the actual romance elements. I also don't think either of the main couple are written to be appealing to male/female readers (or at least I certainly hope not in the case of the latter!). I'm mostly interested in learning about romance manga clearly written in a way where both male and female readers will frequently find a member of the core couple appealing.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Would His and Hers Circumstances fit the bill? Technically both of the MC's are "perfect" with their own internal hidden flaws (seen by the viewers) but they totally would make sense as a match up. I got up to episode 5 before I got pulled away but never got the time to finish it seemed to be more of SoL with comedy, then just a straight forward romance.

Nah, it's clearly shoujo and intended to be more appealing to women (though that didn't stop me from enjoying the anime back in high school). Some of this stuff is a little subjective, but you can usually tell from general art style and the way the story and characters are written whether it's aimed at a particular gender, so even though I tend to find shoujo manga protagonists more attractive than shounen manga love interests, it's still obvious that the former are written with appealing to girls/women in mind.

In recent years some shounen manga have crossed over in the sense that they include male characters that appeal to a female audience, which was probably a very wise business decision (so you end up with a lot of girls who like Sasuke from Naruto, Todoroki/Bakugou from MHA, or most of the male cast of Hitman Reborn). Though this this isn't really the case with romance-focused manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

As someone who follows the manga because it's kind of fun to see people gently caress up and be terrible as they try to think through why they're so terrible

Yeah, it's gonna make you uncomfortable as gently caress.

yeah it looked like that kind of story and I'm not a fan of watching people be terrible so I skipped it to find something fluffy

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Thread, I'm looking for some cute fluff manga to read. Any recommendations?

I've been reading downer manga lately, so the happier the better :smith:

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 27, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everything by Puku Okuyama is purestrain squishy cuteness, at least art-wise and most of it is pretty fluffy

also read Koisuru Harinezumi if you aren't already, and Honey is licensed but it's super cute and super fluffy so buy the books if possible.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Everything by Puku Okuyama is purestrain squishy cuteness, at least art-wise and most of it is pretty fluffy

also read Koisuru Harinezumi if you aren't already, and Honey is licensed but it's super cute and super fluffy so buy the books if possible.

I've read the baby series by the first author, but I didn't realize she did so many shounen ai series :o I'll have to check those out as I like her style of humor.

Of course I've been following Koisuru Harinezumi (though the English translations have been fairly slow), but I don't know how I haven't seen Honey before! Misunderstood scary-looking guys and cute girl series are my favorite.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

yeah it looked like that kind of story and I'm not a fan of watching people be terrible so I skipped it to find something fluffy

Yeah, definitely don't read it since most of the characters always seem to have a simultaneously downer and cynical disposition, mixed with desperation.

The things it's got going for it as a manga are some absolutely beautiful chapter covers and overall, decent art. Story wise, I can't say it's all that great and it falls short of doing actual critical examination of character flaws and personalities. There's only been one major consequence that has resulted in an otherwise rather slow and dull paced story which is kind of "ehhhhn" for a drama which needs a bit more stakes in it, or at least stronger ones.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 27, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Thread, I'm looking for some cute fluff manga to read. Any recommendations?

I've been reading downer manga lately, so the happier the better :smith:

*kicks door in*

Wife and Wife

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Poil posted:

The possibility of gay stuff can get me to watch almost anything but it couldn't get me to keep watching that

Dav likes it because they gently caress in the ED or something

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, it's clearly shoujo and intended to be more appealing to women (though that didn't stop me from enjoying the anime back in high school). Some of this stuff is a little subjective, but you can usually tell from general art style and the way the story and characters are written whether it's aimed at a particular gender, so even though I tend to find shoujo manga protagonists more attractive than shounen manga love interests, it's still obvious that the former are written with appealing to girls/women in mind.

In recent years some shounen manga have crossed over in the sense that they include male characters that appeal to a female audience, which was probably a very wise business decision (so you end up with a lot of girls who like Sasuke from Naruto, Todoroki/Bakugou from MHA, or most of the male cast of Hitman Reborn). Though this this isn't really the case with romance-focused manga.

A lot of shoujo manga are drawn by women and a lot of shounen manga are drawn by men, and they draw people in the ways that appeal to them for the most part. Characters like Sasuke, Todoroki, and Bakugou appeal to women mainly for their "bad boy"/"I can fix him" charms. Reborn was drawn by a woman, and she just drew cute boys the same way most male artists include cute girls in their works. Blue Exorcist is the same way. Drawn by a woman, big female fanbase because of all the cute boys in the cast. One of the few series I can think of that was drawn by a man but had a significant female base outside of the aforementioned "bad boys" is Rurouni Kenshin, I think in part because it's one of the earlier action shounen series where the warriors aren't dudes whose muscles had muscles. Which was partially due to Watsuki having read a lot of shoujo manga growing up, and that having an influence on his art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I would date both the leads from Jellyfish Princess, but some people might not, if they're shallow and can't appreciate a good man in a pretty dress