Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It was only just released in JP, so we have about six months yet. Don't Chase One Relic Even If It's Super Good. That's a good way to spend 400 mythril on one banner and not get the thing you wanted.

That's why you spend 550 mythril to get Shout like I did. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I got the two worst items on the banner.

...but I also got Garnet's BSB and Yuna's BSB2, in addition to one of Garnet's SSBs.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
2/11, Rydia SSB and Tyro OSB.

Sorta disappointing, I got really excited when the disco ball appeared so getting the book was... Tyro's OSB doesn't even have good MND on it like the other books I have for him, and a hybrid healer/attacker was probably the only reason I would want a 6* book.

I've already got a lot of FF4 Mage stuff too, so Rydia's old whip isn't that nice either, although the DEF buff will be nice for Cid's Missions.

I have a decent mage team (Maria BSB, 3 Mage Shout options with Papalymo, Serah and Edward) but not many relics are on Summoners, so I was hoping for something nice. Considering whether I'll pull on the banner again, but I might just hold off.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 25, 2017

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Got Hope's BSB and Seymour's BSB. Overall a good lucky draw.

I didn't pull on the FFX banners because my synergy for FFX is already nuts (I can beat FFX CMs while I fail most others, this one included), so getting a new FFX mage burst is fun. This game really wants me to use hope as I already have his OSB.

I should be able to put together a pretty nuts mage team nowadays. 3 mage BSBs + OK BSB + healer should get me pretty far.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hope BSB and a dupe Eiko BSB. I'm really short on mage BSBs so okay I guess.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

3 5* relics and a 6* relic!?
Tyro's OSB, his Earth elemental SSB, Krile's damage+quick cast SSB (it'd be more exciting if I didn't already have Quistis' haste+quick cast). Pretty disappointing.
On the other hand, I got Garnet's BSB! It's my first BSB with a medica, but since it doesn't heal on entry...it's kind of an odd hybrid. Oh well, it'll really help out with my Mage team damage and survivability.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Dollar Draw on Summoner's Nightmare and out pops a disco ball . . . :eyepop:

And it's a loving Arbiter's Apocrypha. God dammit, why couldn't you have given me a Blood Sword? :negative:

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

5/11, Terra's OSB, my 3rd Fairy Flute, Wizard Rod, High Summoner Staff, and a Tiny Bee :stare: I'll gladly take the Tiny Bee when it comes with an OSB.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got BSBs for Garnet and Yuna. Not bad since I'm actually using Garnet, but given that I just started playing it would have been nice if I could have swapped one of them with a black magic summoner.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I had two disco balls. I got super excited.

I can't even be mad, because gently caress, BOTH mage shouts on the banner and I didn't have any yet. This is an exceptional pull. Just...the crushing disappointment of double apocrypha. Wow.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
If you combine them that's a pretty solid Tyro/Alphinaud stat stick at least.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

acumen posted:

If you combine them that's a pretty solid Tyro/Alphinaud stat stick at least.

Look at that disgusting MAG. Look at it.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
So against all my expectations I actually made it through the current u++, using the incredible strategy of 'everybody support raines'. Don't think I'm going to be able to do anything tougher without a non-RW healer though. I'd love to be able to RW utility or damage, but the closest thing I have to a healer is minfilia, so I'm stuck following every asylum I can find.

The nightmare banner is gonna overlap with tactics, right? Tempted to pull now, but I think I'd rather wait and see what I get there first.

Edit: If I was gonna try out these nightmare dungeons, any recommendations on what to do first?

way to go steve fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 25, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

way to go steve posted:

So against all my expectations I actually made it through the current u++, using the incredible strategy of 'everybody support raines'. Don't think I'm going to be able to do anything tougher without a non-RW healer though. I'd love to be able to RW utility or damage, but the closest thing I have to a healer is minfilia, so I'm stuck following every asylum I can find.

The nightmare banner is gonna overlap with tactics, right? Tempted to pull now, but I think I'd rather wait and see what I get there first.
If you need healer stuff, nightmare banner is probably better for you. Half the people on there have medicas and/or healing BSBs, including Aerith, Arc, Eiko, and Yuna. Garnet has some support SBs and can function as a healer, too.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Inge posted:

BSB2 - is this good? Figures I would get another white mage burst, but this one looks like it might be decent boostable damage.

With holy rod + garb looks like it could shred

Its...odd. I've only used it one fight (funny enough, the d200 torment that I finished last night). The damage on command 1 has to be primed one round and then you can use it the next round. The damage overall was pretty underwhelming but that was on torment trash. The command 2 was a perfectly usable spammable medica for the actual boss fight.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hot tip: Mateus' little minions are still vulnerable to paralyze. Quetzacoatl MVP.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you need healer stuff, nightmare banner is probably better for you. Half the people on there have medicas and/or healing BSBs, including Aerith, Arc, Eiko, and Yuna. Garnet has some support SBs and can function as a healer, too.

It just looked like the tactics banner had several ovelia items, so if I was going to pull that anyway I might as well wait and see.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Combo posted:

Its...odd. I've only used it one fight (funny enough, the d200 torment that I finished last night). The damage on command 1 has to be primed one round and then you can use it the next round. The damage overall was pretty underwhelming but that was on torment trash. The command 2 was a perfectly usable spammable medica for the actual boss fight.

Just checking to make sure you know- Using command 1 once isn't just to prime it to do damage. If you summon, and then only use command 2, it will do the AoE medica AND do AoE damage every turn. Usually the optimal way to use the summoning BSBs is to use Command 1 once to summon, use command 2 with the summon buff like 3 times, and then use command 1 again to get the big dismissal damage.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Schwartzcough posted:

Just checking to make sure you know- Using command 1 once isn't just to prime it to do damage. If you summon, and then only use command 2, it will do the AoE medica AND do AoE damage every turn. Usually the optimal way to use the summoning BSBs is to use Command 1 once to summon, use command 2 with the summon buff like 3 times, and then use command 1 again to get the big dismissal damage.

I thought using the Command 1--> Command 2 dismissed the summon?

Rage-edit: Abyss Necrophobe continues to be an impossible son of a bitch. God, I hate this fight.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

Alternately, wait until you have 1.5 bars to do the initial summon, then summon, use command 1, use command 2 a few times, then reuse the SB before burst mode wears off to keep summon mode running and continue pumping or medicas with only one total turn of healing downtime, versus two per burst.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

FeralWraith posted:

I thought using the Command 1--> Command 2 dismissed the summon?

No. Command 1 -> command 1 again dismisses the summon and does Big Damage.

Command 2 is an AoE heal, and if under summon mode, also AoE damage.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Inge posted:

Ok pulled, dupe keepers tome, dupe fairy flute and Yuna's BSB.

BSB2 - is this good? Figures I would get another white mage burst, but this one looks like it might be decent boostable damage.

With holy rod + garb looks like it could shred

It's a bit weak as a Medica (Cura-level Entry, slightly weaker Command 2) and its Burst Mode's main gimmick forces you to waste a turn to set things up damage-wise, but its Sage-style Faithga (MAG/MND) makes it a decent stacking buff companion to a Classic Faithga (specially Papalymo's) in a Mage-heavy Team and the Garb's Holy boost is nice for both Alexander & Damaging White Magic.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Nice, thanks on that. Like I said, only used it in the d200 torment and really just spammed cmd2 for the heals.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I picked up Hope's BSB and a dupe of Garnet's Wizard Rod.

Is Hope's BSB OK? I did need more 13 synergy and I suppose I can add him to my holy team at least.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

this is pretty good. i might do another pull later.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Is Hope's BSB OK? I did need more 13 synergy and I suppose I can add him to my holy team at least.

Hope's BSB is nice. The entry is aoe and enholy, the commands are kind of bog standard but cmd1 is holy and cmd2 is earth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bah, had a good Tritoch run going and then I hosed up the timing and screwed myself out of getting yellow glutturns to spawn.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

100 gems got me Tyro's SSB (lol)

50 mythril and 4 rainbows

Eiko's SSB (have her BSB so it's +MND)
Hope's SSB x2 (loving seriously? Have his BSB + OSB so extra MAG is welcome but still :negative:)

... and Yuna's BSB2 :toot:

ewFR for the Valigarmanda carry

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I pulled Eiko's SSB from the dollar draw.

What's the real grand prize here? I'm probably pulling once regardless because it's SSB+ but I want to know what I should be disappointed to miss out on :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Geocities Homepage King posted:

At this point in the game a BSB that does nothing but damage is a bit underwhelming. If you have his OSB it's better though; still just damage but at least the damage is bonkers. Only problem is he doesn't have Wrath or Lifesiphon.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Terra, Hope, Rinoa's OSBs

Ashe, Rydia, Seymour, Alphinaud, Hope are the good offensive BSBs

Eiko and Yuna have good healer BSBs (bark away the Tiny Bee)

And then there's assorted Good poo poo SSBs like Sheepsong, Deployment Tactics, Garnet's MAG/DEF buff with 3k HP stock, various enelements

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just took down Valigarmanda. Found it pretty easy, thanks to this chart:

Thanks Reddit!

Here's the super short fight strat for those too ADD to read the whole AI:

P1: kill the energy sphere in five rounds. If you can't do this, you probably can't handle nightmare fights.

P2: there's two barriers up, and they shift colors constantly. (Like, faster than your turns) for optimal results, cast a summon of the element indicated in the chart above when you see the corresponding combination; with normal cast times, that'll cause your summon to land on a moment when the barriers are the same color and they'll both be dispelled simultaneously. Right after that happens two adds will spawn. They'll disappear if you don't already have two casts ready and casting when they spawn. If you kill them both, you'll get an ether that restores two casts. So hones aren't an issue.

Feel free to use summons and SB's that aren't fire/ice/lightning/water at will throughout the phase for damage, but make sure you aren't casting any of those elements unless it's to dispel a barrier or to follow the dispel.

The boss should die easily once you get the trick of that.

kalensc posted:

(Valigarmanda data sourced from Zurai's JP thread on reddit, and Resistance data from the MisterP PDF)

For those tackling the Nightmare (Valigarmanda) the elemental resist accessories will be a huge mitigator, and due to every 5* Summoner getting realm synergy the Lucky Dice may actually be quite useful. When including RS a major/moderate/minor elemental resist will reduce damage by 70%/40%/20% respectively.

Summary: Pending confirmation on the calculation of Enemy Multi-Elemental Attacks vs Resistance gear, Lucky Dice may be quite useful.

I don't have any confirmation for you but this post was real helpful anyway; pro tip: Mog's Heroic Scarf (or any other ice resist armor) can be combined with Necrophobe Ward and it's like having a third gigas armlet. Throw in the lucky dice and you've got four people covered. Give your fifth the Arctic Armlet and any fire or lightning resist armor (there's lots, so decent chance you have one lying around) and you've got a heavily mitigated party.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 25, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Beasteh posted:

Terra, Hope, Rinoa's OSBs

Ashe, Rydia, Seymour, Alphinaud, Hope are the good offensive BSBs

Eiko and Yuna have good healer BSBs (bark away the Tiny Bee)

And then there's assorted Good poo poo SSBs like Sheepsong, Deployment Tactics, Garnet's MAG/DEF buff with 3k HP stock, various enelements

Great draw. Not. (The Elder Staff is a dupe, too.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did two pulls on the Summoner banner, got two Yuna SSBs. Already had her SSB.

Got a couple other random SSBs, I'm not too angry about it. I wanted to beef up my magic power, since I went into this with 1 SSB.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Of course I couldn't resist another attempt in vain at TERROR OSB. But hey, not gonna complain about getting Ashe BSB and the new Yuna BSB (Tiny Bee averted!)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Wandering Flame owns as hell btw. And it has a cool animation with the Best Ifrit (FFX Ifrit :colbert:)

PS that staff is +fire and the robe is +holy, the Ashe BSB might be +lightning? Everything there is excellent

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Is tenents of the faith good

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Well I guess since everyone else is getting kinda lovely pulls, I shouldn't feel too bad-

Son of a bitch :catstare:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Farg posted:

Is tenents of the faith good

Yes also its been explained in painstaking detail on this very page Mr Farg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Yuna's BSB2 and Krile's BSB. I have Yuna's SSB with the HP stock, but both still seem decent if not game changers. Krile's BSB works with Terra's SSB and Locke's BSB (and Steiner's SSB) to give me a fire team.

Any input on how to use Yuna's? Summon Valefor and then heal+damage until the Burst mode runs out?

edit: Never mind, this has already been discussed!

Sega 32X fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread