Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I still find it funny that 1 misplay could cost you your favorite character and screw over your clans strategy for the next set. I think there is actually a local tourney scene for l5r here, never went to it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well it appears that 1 month scg premium isn't trading for poo poo anymore so I have 3 months of it available as I couldn't move them as trade bait. If you need stuff spoiled, just ask. I have access to all the terrible premium content.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Didn't Lot5R have a rule that caused you to lose points if you touched your opponents cards without asking?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

It's dead, but Fantasy Flight Games is bringing it back as a Living Card Game.

That is great news!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Well it appears that 1 month scg premium isn't trading for poo poo anymore so I have 3 months of it available as I couldn't move them as trade bait. If you need stuff spoiled, just ask. I have access to all the terrible premium content.

Did you PM Chuu? On the second to last page of the SA mart thread they posted that they wanted to buy vouchers

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Did you PM Chuu? On the second to last page of the SA mart thread they posted that they wanted to buy vouchers

Nope, never was a fan of that thread. They are redeemed anyway.0

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

KillarySwank posted:

Didn't Lot5R have a rule that caused you to lose points if you touched your opponents cards without asking?

From the 2000 tournament rules.

360. The Code of Bushido
The Legend of the Five Rings game is all about story, community, verve, style, and honor. L5R players are part of this community and share in creating the fervor in which they surround the story and themselves. As with any new community, you may find its customs uncomfortable at first. Read the following code and understand that the customs within are optional. Tournament

5. Courtesy—Samurai have no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. A samurai is courteous even to her enemies. Without this outward show of respect we are nothing more than animals. A samurai is not only respected for her strength in battle, but also for her dealings with other people. The true inner strength of a samurai becomes very apparent during times of stress.
Rule: It is customary to ask an opponent before touching his or her cards. Players who do not ask before touching an opponent’s cards lose 1 Honor each time.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Mystic Mongol posted:

360. The Code of Bushido
The Legend of the Five Rings game is all about story, community, verve, style, and honor. L5R players are part of this community and share in creating the fervor in which they surround the story and themselves. As with any new community, you may find its customs uncomfortable at first. Read the following code and understand that the customs within are optional. Tournament

5. Courtesy—Samurai have no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. A samurai is courteous even to her enemies. Without this outward show of respect we are nothing more than animals. A samurai is not only respected for her strength in battle, but also for her dealings with other people. The true inner strength of a samurai becomes very apparent during times of stress.
Rule: It is customary to ask an opponent before touching his or her cards. Players who do not ask before touching an opponent’s cards lose 1 Honor each time.

that doesn't sound like a hard to enforce/easily abusable rule at all

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Good thing everyone uses sleeves.

:smugbert:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

360. The Code of Bushido

This is the gooniest thing

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
To be fair, L5r tournaments were some of the best behaved, if memory serves. The goony rules actually had a positive effect on player behavior.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm definitely of two minds on "don't touch other people's things" as an official tournament rule. Definitely goony, but maybe... good? I don't know about an in-game penalty though

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the only way to get nerds to abide by social norms is to literally make it part of the game.

what a surprise

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't like people touching my stuff, i should prob play that game instead

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't like people. Better off if they're all dead, I say.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I will pick up your cards and read them if I want to :colbert:

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The league I'm running at work is finally transitioning to a 60 card deck format. They've been cutting their teeth on draft/sealed decks for the last year or so. Is What I know about Magic still a good introduction to deck building fundamentals (the idea of archetypes, the clock, having a plan, etc) or is it woefully out of fashion/date now?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Hey, here's a dumb question I'm not seeing answered on Gatherer.

If I cast a Tireless Tracker for my free spell off Yahenni's Expertise, does it die with everything else that has 3 or less toughness as YE resolves?

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Hey, here's a dumb question I'm not seeing answered on Gatherer.

If I cast a Tireless Tracker for my free spell off Yahenni's Expertise, does it die with everything else that has 3 or less toughness as YE resolves?

The tracker should not die. Cards are resolved in the order written, so it should come in after the -3/-3.

Edit: in fact, the Expertise resolves while the Tireless Tracker is still on the stack. Whatever card you cast won't even see anything die.

oryx fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 25, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

oryx posted:

The tracker should not die. Cards are resolved in the order written, so it should come in after the -3/-3.

Thanks, I figured it would, otherwise that second ability is kinda pointless towards rebuilding a board

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It is kind of dumb that casting Yahenni's Expertise into Yahenni means you don't get any counters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mossyfisk posted:

It is kind of dumb that casting Yahenni's Expertise into Yahenni means you don't get any counters.

It does if Yaheeni already has 2 counters and your opponent has sub 4 toughness dudes!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AceClown posted:

Mrenda: might be worth thinking about throwing together an EDH deck too, if your local stores are anything like mine the first question any newbie gets asked is "Do you have an EDH deck with you?"
Don't listen to this man, EDH is a terrible format for awful people.

mossyfisk posted:

Doesn't it? You complete all the actions in the spell before state-based-actions resolve, so everything gets -3/-3, then Yahenni comes in, then before you get priority, state-based-actions are checked and stuff with <1 toughness dies, which triggers counters for Yahenni.

Or wait, no, I guess it's cast, not just put into play, so it goes on the stack, so SBAs are checked before it comes into play. Yeah, that's lame.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 25, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think mossyfit is right. You only cast Yahenni while expertise finishes resolving, then everything is cleaned off the board, then there's priority, then Yahenni resolves?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

To be honest I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of possibilities there are. And it looks like with the cards I do have they wouldn't work for EDH.* I'm looking at online storefronts seeing cards go for megabucks and I know I won't/can't spend that much. More than that I know if I did spend that much I'd end up buying terrible cards that don't work. I've listened to a couple of podcasts/watched a few videos and can't keep up with the intricacies of interplay with the other and earlier cards. I'm looking for Aether Revolt stuff at the moment seeing as it's new and it's probably a good place to jump off, but all I can find are pretty poor videos from people who have hole-card cams in their local store. The most I took from something was going through a draft on draftsim, but not being able to play the deck after wasn't a great help. I'll keep reading for a while, I have time to kill and it's enjoyable as much for the nostalgia factor as I think of my teens playing the game.

At this point I'm tempted to fire up the MTGO thing and see if $25 or so will get me anywhere. I looked at the free alternatives and they look like they're filled with forever fourteen year olds screaming abuse.

*I went through them all and I might have enough red or black cards for an EDH deck, but it'd just be one of everything I have from the colour once I get an appropriate commander. The only interesting thing I found in my collection of cards was a German Cursed Scroll someone gave me when I was first playing Magic.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mossyfisk posted:

Yeah but since Yahenni's a 2/2 if it worked the other way it'd just die with everything else.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
EDH is a lot of fun!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Mrenda posted:

At this point I'm tempted to fire up the MTGO thing and see if $25 or so will get me anywhere. I looked at the free alternatives and they look like they're filled with forever fourteen year olds screaming abuse.

As someone who plays on MTGO, don't. The paper version is much better. Duels is much better. MTGO is the last resort if 1. you have no in person options due no LGS in your area, 2. events during times you're able to play due to other commitments like family or work, 3. you're looking to grind out games as quickly as possible, or 4. play test, which assumes that the cards you want to play with work on mtgo (many don't or have major bugs) or are not even available on mtgo (cards that were released in sets that don't get released online)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Just to clarify, I don't play EDH and never have, it's just that it's overwhelmingly the format that gets played the most in my local LGS's.

Now I think about it I wonder if there is any correlation between the rise in popularity of EDH and the decline in standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

The majority of this thread would fit right in!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
EDH is about finding a group who are all looking for the same pace & goal from Magic. It's not so much about power level and card pool as it is what you want to do in a game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mrenda posted:

To be honest I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of possibilities there are. And it looks like with the cards I do have they wouldn't work for EDH.* I'm looking at online storefronts seeing cards go for megabucks and I know I won't/can't spend that much. More than that I know if I did spend that much I'd end up buying terrible cards that don't work. I've listened to a couple of podcasts/watched a few videos and can't keep up with the intricacies of interplay with the other and earlier cards. I'm looking for Aether Revolt stuff at the moment seeing as it's new and it's probably a good place to jump off, but all I can find are pretty poor videos from people who have hole-card cams in their local store. The most I took from something was going through a draft on draftsim, but not being able to play the deck after wasn't a great help. I'll keep reading for a while, I have time to kill and it's enjoyable as much for the nostalgia factor as I think of my teens playing the game.

*I went through them all and I might have enough red or black cards for an EDH deck, but it'd just be one of everything I have from the colour once I get an appropriate commander. The only interesting thing I found in my collection of cards was a German Cursed Scroll someone gave me when I was first playing Magic.

I am not an EDH fan......my suggestion for getting into magic is drafting at the store and playing prereleases. Magic, at a competitive level will never actually be budget, but the gameplay is usually amazing, even when this thread shits all over standard, it is still leagues better than pretty much every tcg out there.

All that being said....if you DO want to play EDH you could do worse than looking at Abe Sargent's Budget Commander 30 series. Lots of neat deck ideas for under 50 bux. They aren't optimal by any means, but they are optimizable. Just understand that EDH is not played with the same understanding that competitive magic is. In competitive magic, everyone is playing to win.....or at least understands that the majority of players are, and there is not a stigma against that..........in EDH, some people are playing to win, some people treat it more like a tabletop rpg session, something to luxuriate in, and others more a way to show off their blinged out deck. Every play group will be different and you will need to make sure you have the right type of deck for the group.

link: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/abesargent-06272016-budget-commander-30-teysa-envoy-of-ghosts/

(the appendix has a bunch of commander decks to choose from)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

EDH is about finding a group who are all looking for the same pace & goal from Magic. It's not so much about power level and card pool as it is what you want to do in a game.

There is an EDH league at a store in my area that has a super janky point system. If you win by certain conditions not only do you not gain points, you lose them. They have all sorts of other really dumb rules but people love it for some reason.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

EDH on MTGO is 'fun' for some reasons:

a) I can play a chill game that I only somewhat have to pay attention to, usually while doing something else.

b) I don't have to go anywhere, and I can imbibe if I desire.

c) I get to make the most evil decks possible and destroy random people with some seriously silly poo poo (I made someone concede because I stole his Parallax Tide with Grenzo and nuked his lands for 2 turns).

d) You get to really brew the optimal deck if you want. Just set quantity to 0 and you can see every card, and you can tinker with what works. Most junk EDH rares are $.01 - $.10 and you can get a lot of fun ideas for build around commanders (like my Tymaret threaten deck).

There are plenty of lovely reasons to NOT play it, but if you can handle a buggy product to get your fix on the cheap, it's not the worst.

Or you could play duels.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Sickening posted:

There is an EDH league at a store in my area that has a super janky point system. If you win by certain conditions not only do you not gain points, you lose them. They have all sorts of other really dumb rules but people love it for some reason.

Is it like "if you win with an infinite combo then you lose X points?"

One of the local stores here has a rule like that for tournaments, where if you win the pod using an infinite, instead of getting 3 points you only get 1 point. Their last tournament allowed you to use any planeswalker as your commander and you pick a creature in your deck to be the Lieutenant who acts as the Commander for dealing commander damage. If you kill someone normally, it's 1 point, but if you kill them with the Lieutenant, it's 5 points.

I think every game we played was won by someone taking infinite turns until they drew their Lieutenant and then used it to kill everyone to offset the point loss from going infinite.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I like EDH because I get to play with old, powerful cards that do broken poo poo and also I don't take it seriously because my opponents are doing the same thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

EDH is the best format because it lets me play grip of chaos and planar chaos and everybody groans audibly.

It's a good time.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Count Bleck posted:

EDH is the best format because it lets me play grip of chaos and planar chaos and everybody groans audibly.

It's a good time.

I like EDH because I can play esper hard control/prison and obtain maximum relative fun

Stasis is a fun and very good card

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
EDH can be fun but only if you have a playgroup thats on the same page powerwise/how seriously or casually they take it. It's instantly ruined as soon as some tryhard shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

EDH can be fun but only if you have a playgroup thats on the same page powerwise/how seriously or casually they take it. It's instantly ruined as soon as some tryhard shows up

EDH can be fun but only if you have a playgroup thats on the same page powerwise/how seriously or casually they take it. It's instantly ruined as soon as some scrub shows up

• Locked thread