Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

Can Dwarf Fortress be considered an ecosystem simulation?

And that pack is good, Falcon? I saw it too while poking around HQM packs but I haven't tried it out.

Well it's a very focused sort of experience. So far it's been pretty slow but it certainly scratches the harvest moon itch, with the benefit of designing most of it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have a question... is there anything resembling witchery/bloodmagic/botania/thaumaturgy in a non building/survival game?
I like the collecting, exploration, pragmatic building, and multiple crafting systems of magic minecraft but I'm kind of tired of minecraft and its half-assed mechanics and horrible combat and the time investment required to ever actually do anything interesting.

Like I just tried to play subnautica and just got tired when I tried to make plans for what to do next, and games where the crafting is completely realistic like Long Dark don't excite me at all, mechanical/automated like Factorio or Offplanet trader pique my interest but aren't what I'm looking for... The closest things are Stardew, which is okay, and Terraria, which I've played to death too, and Don't Starve, which I played a while and never got good at before I got tired of the survival mechanic and bullshit bosses.

A lot of games are taking inspiration from minecraft and its mechanical/survival mods, why hasn't anyone made a potion brewing witch game.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I have a question... is there anything resembling witchery/bloodmagic/botania/thaumaturgy in a non building/survival game?
I like the collecting, exploration, pragmatic building, and multiple crafting systems of magic minecraft but I'm kind of tired of minecraft and its half-assed mechanics and horrible combat and the time investment required to ever actually do anything interesting.

Like I just tried to play subnautica and just got tired when I tried to make plans for what to do next, and games where the crafting is completely realistic like Long Dark don't excite me at all, mechanical/automated like Factorio or Offplanet trader pique my interest but aren't what I'm looking for... The closest things are Stardew, which is okay, and Terraria, which I've played to death too, and Don't Starve, which I played a while and never got good at before I got tired of the survival mechanic and bullshit bosses.

A lot of games are taking inspiration from minecraft and its mechanical/survival mods, why hasn't anyone made a potion brewing witch game.
Possible ideas:

The Atelier series on PlayStation consoles is generally about alchemists making their way in the world with a weird rear end crafting system if you have access to those systems. Trigger warning: jRPG/anime.

Fantasy Life on 3DS is a laid back action RPG based around switching between several professions, most of which are crafting-related. The mechanics are honestly kind of shallow, but it hooked me for quite a while nonetheless.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I was kind of wondering about the indie circuit. I don't have console access right now.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I was kind of wondering about the indie circuit. I don't have console access right now.
Figured it was a long shot in a PC game thread, but I thought I'd throw those out there.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
no it's good, I've heard of them and have investigated lp's of the atelier series but it's hard to get it from an lp. Will have to play it at some point. Odin Sphere is the closest I've seen to and it's kind of not really a crafting game, but what it does have is pretty fresh.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Craft the World is not too bad. If you still access to refunds on Steam give it a try.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'm running (or trying to) run Minecraft on a AMD A8-3800 APU, and it's struggling to reach double digit FPS. Is Optifine to blame or do I need to get a new video card, or is there some other problem I should look at?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

funnily enough i would recommend modded dwarf fortress. it's not scratching the exact same itch but df mods are just as crunchy as minecraft's in a sense and there's a lot of weird bullshit you can get away with.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Danny Glands posted:

I'm running (or trying to) run Minecraft on a AMD A8-3800 APU, and it's struggling to reach double digit FPS. Is Optifine to blame or do I need to get a new video card, or is there some other problem I should look at?
What video card are you using? The APU onboard? If so, yes get a better video card.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't seem to get the tucker bag in TFC EZ to pick up chickens. It just hurts them when I shift-rclick them, and nothing else seems to do anything at all. Is there some trick I'm missing?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can't seem to get the tucker bag in TFC EZ to pick up chickens. It just hurts them when I shift-rclick them, and nothing else seems to do anything at all. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Left click them with the tucker bag.

Then right click on air to drop them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Lorini posted:

Craft the World is not too bad. If you still access to refunds on Steam give it a try.

Not too bad with the caveat of only play until near the end of the first "level." There are some bullshit bosses you have to kill and your dwarves are godawful at keeping themselves alive and capable of killing it. Your reward after that is you get to do it aaaaaaaall again in a different "world" but your tech, building and experience progress is completely reset to the start. Seeing as it's a long game to begin with, this revelation killed any motivation of having anything to do with it ever again.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Not too bad with the caveat of only play until near the end of the first "level." There are some bullshit bosses you have to kill and your dwarves are godawful at keeping themselves alive and capable of killing it. Your reward after that is you get to do it aaaaaaaall again in a different "world" but your tech, building and experience progress is completely reset to the start. Seeing as it's a long game to begin with, this revelation killed any motivation of having anything to do with it ever again.

The final level is also so big it takes extra long to do anything. There is a semi boss that you dont kill, but feed items in order to get rewards/punishments (or just ignore completely and he goes away)

As for keepign dwarves alive, open inventory in a fight (it pauses the game, give all the dwarves that need health some hp pots and then unpause till you need to do it all again)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I managed to keep my dwarves mostly alive through the guardian fights by just giving my melee dwarves enough armor so they survive two hits. That means at LEAST a full set of gold armor, but honestly they should have some mithril equipment by the time you start fighting the guardians. Healing them manually works too, though.

I thought each world was different enough that having to redo the tech tree wasn't too much of a chore. The tree does have some small differences between worlds, too, especially on the last world where you finally get GUNS.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I may have rushed those guardian fights earlier than I should, then; I was getting tired of how long everything was taking and various other niggles to the game mechanics (that slow mana regen was a real stupid idea) so process chains were minimal and I'm betting I was relying on healing via magic than through pots.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RaspberryCommie posted:

Left click them with the tucker bag.

Then right click on air to drop them.
Wow... that is unexpected.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is there a trick to using the collection module on the MFFS thing? I can't seem to make it collect the blocks.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lorini posted:

Craft the world is a miserable repetitive grind after the first map, since you have to go down the entire tech tree again every single map and you have to craft the same useless items again and again that you'll never really use but just stick in a chest. I managed to make it 2 maps in with 24 hours /played and shelved it.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Ambaire posted:

Craft the world is a miserable repetitive grind after the first map, since you have to go down the entire tech tree again every single map and you have to craft the same useless items again and again that you'll never really use but just stick in a chest. I managed to make it 2 maps in with 24 hours /played and shelved it.

Quoted for truth. Lots of width, no real depth.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The first sign I had that Craft the World was terrible is that you can make beds, but your dwarfs won't sleep in them until you set up a completely enclosed house around the bed, with back walls and doors and everything. Even if you build the bed underground, they won't use it until you close or cap off all holes to the surface. No matter how tired they get, they won't use an "unqualified" bed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'll never respond to another request again. I will note that I enjoyed it and it has 'Very Positive' reviews. Why don't you guys help the guy out then?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Lorini posted:

I'll never respond to another request again. I will note that I enjoyed it and it has 'Very Positive' reviews. Why don't you guys help the guy out then?

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that we were attacking you for your opinion. Meskhenet sounded like they managed to play through the entire campaign. Hell, McFrugal had a positive opinion to share! I just didn't share in those experiences and it wasn't the game for me. :shrug:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

RimWorld is fantastic IMO

Edit:

Just a random snip from the RimWorld thread:

One of my compliance officers went berserk. So goes into a prison cell with two naked, malnourished prisoners. He starts beating them up but they turn on him and knock him to the ground and then both go to bed without a scratch. The fully armored guard lays bleeding and crying on the floor with his rifle next to him as staff come and bring him to the hospital.

Braindamaged colonists are the saddest thing in this game. I have one puttering around sweeping dirt and still eating her dinner when everyone else is in bed. I thought giving her bionic legs might help make up the difference, but the consiciousness hit still gives a massive speed penalty. I hope you'll have the option to implant robo-brains or whatever in future.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

AceClown fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 26, 2017

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

If you want games with a focus on crafting/item making, I would recommend Recettear, or Thea. Recettear is half dungeon crawler, half crafting items and running an item shop. It's a few years old now so you may have already played it. Thea is a post (magical) apocalypse survival game where you control a village full of warriors, gatherers and crafters. Crafting powerful items to boost your exploration parties is a huge part of the game, and crafting is also how you unlock new stuff on the tech tree. I'm playing it for the first time right now so I don't know how replayable it is, but it looks like there are 6 gods to play as, two different ways to win and at least two alternate endings.

I'd also agree that Rimworld is fun with a few mods added, but I've not found myself going back to it. Maybe I've just played too much dwarf fortress over the years.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People might also want to check the Survival Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655873&pagenumber=14&perpage=40

Not that I'm trying to shut down the conversation, it's just you'll probably get more suggestions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the vib rib terrafirmacraft pack

i keep finding weird pools, ringed with granite and full of fresh water, that have a single block wide channel of water winding its way down to what i assume is bedrock.

how come

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i keep finding weird pools, ringed with granite and full of fresh water, that have a single block wide channel of water winding its way down to what i assume is bedrock.

how come

natural spring?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how come

Are they steaming? They sound like hotsprings, which will restore your HP slowly if you sit and chill in the water for a bit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started playing SkyFactory 3 and I'm back at the point where I need to make a loving smeltery.

Is there any way to easily mass-produce grout?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I started playing SkyFactory 3 and I'm back at the point where I need to make a loving smeltery.

just craft it? there is a recipe that uses the full clay blocks which will make it a little faster

remember to use a wooden crucible to melt saplings into water (lol) then make an infinite water source for easy claymaking

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Evil Mastermind posted:

SF3 lets you use compressed cobblestone/gravel/sand and compressed hammers, so really it doesn't take all that long to make a full stack of sand/gravel. The full block clay recipe is the best one for sure. My first smeltery was 5X7X3 and it did not take all that long to make.

I burned out on SF3 though because it kept crashing. I may go back to it after a few more updates. It was pretty fun.

Having a great time with Project Ozone 2 now, but at a certain point it really feels like a mod pack that needs multiple people to really tackle it. So many different paths to go down, some of which require a hell of a lot of work.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Keep in mind you can build the minimum possible sized smeltery and then jam cobblestone into it to make more seared stone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

random SF3 stuff, since i've been playing it:

* there is a block called the Cobblestone Generator, which is very, very useful in the early game for removing tedium and you can upgrade it to make it generate cobble faster
just right click it to take out all the cobble it's made (holds a single stack max) or use extrautils transfer nodes to shuffle it around

* vein miner is in SF3; hope you made your platform out of slabs so you can vein mine big piles of cobble without deleting your entire platform (hold backtick)
you can also vein-mine leaves with a (compressed) crook or wooden shears

* focus on rice for farming, it makes bread and can make rice slimeballs, which are ore dictionaried into slime in most recipes and allow you to get vector plates very early (put them in the floor of your mob farm to herd enemies into a wooden/gold/diamond spike)
rice can also make sugar and paper

* lots of recipes have ludicrously increased food saturation; make a juicer and juice carrots or apples to get mega saturating food

* regular (not heavy) sieves that are touching each other will distribute gravel/etc you're sifting into each other and let you do multiple sifts at a time, sadly this does not work with heavy sieves

* pay attention to the type of mesh in your sieves; copper only comes out of a string/flint mesh and gold is the only metal that will come from a diamond mesh, use JEI to determine what mesh you need and swap them out as needed

* ender IO fire water melts cobblestone into lava at an 8x rate (lava is only 3x)

all in all, for a typical ex nihilo pack, SF3 is pretty fast to start

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Keep in mind you can build the minimum possible sized smeltery and then jam cobblestone into it to make more seared stone.
I've never actually built a smeltery because every time I try I just get sick of grinding for all the clay, gravel, and sand.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've never actually built a smeltery because every time I try I just get sick of grinding for all the clay, gravel, and sand.
It's really not that hard to get the amount for a minimum sized smeltery, and then just jam cobble through to expand it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it doesn't matter right now anyway because it keeps crashing while loading the 200+ addons.

I really need to put together a simple SkyBlock modpack one of these days.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I never would've thought collecting 16 clay blocks, a single stack of sand and a single stack of gravel would be considered 'grinding' by anyone but there you go I guess.

Also yeah, transfer node on a cobble generator block is a better idea than the traditional method because the ExUtils2 transfer node requires a 'mining upgrade' that replaces the world interaction upgrade, except that it uses grid power. But it'll pull from an inventory without it.

As for food, I made a Cooking for Blockheads kitchen, used the Market block from Pam's to buy tomato seeds, and anvilled a cow into a jar, so I could just pump out pizzas as my food source.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

I never would've thought collecting 16 clay blocks, a single stack of sand and a single stack of gravel would be considered 'grinding' by anyone but there you go I guess.
I guess "grinding" isn't the best word, but it's more that it just feels unnecessary. Minecraft already has bricks, why can't we just use those? It's not challenging, it's just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well, I can't load minecraft anymore. I was playing for hours at a time and last played just 2 days ago and now when I try to start playing again forge keeps crashing on loading and I can't even fathom why. The mod pack I'm using was updated (but I didn't download it or anything). I'm not getting even close to running out of ram, and I have set it so minecraft can have access to however much ram it needs.

Just 2 days ago it was running perfectly. Now it can't even load to the main screen? What the gently caress?

EDIT: Found out what I did. I updated my nvidia driver. Rolled back to my previous driver build and now everything works honky dory. :psyduck:

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 26, 2017