Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

no no, you don't understand, if you're not literally panicking about trump then you're a genocide supporter

Sorry buddy, you're the only one making that argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
maybe you'll get it if i punch you enough times, genocide supporting nazi

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah it's like, this poo poo happened quite literally within living memory. "It could never happen here" is naive as gently caress considering Hitler was taken as a joke right up to the point where he seized power.

Edit: Not to mention we are watching half of America deny the reality right before their eyes, and "you" somehow think that they'll wake up if fascists seize power. No, they'll blindly follow their fascist Strongman as long as he pisses off liberals.

I don't think that Trump is a fascist.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

maybe you'll get it if i punch you enough times, genocide supporting nazi

Yeah okay dude :thumbsup:

Hogge Wild posted:

Didn't say he was. But I think he's making it easy for them, regardless.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah okay dude :thumbsup:

that's exactly what a nazi does, blows off the threat and acts like it's not serious, everyone punch this guy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Have you not read any of the hundreds of essays Spencer and his publishing outlets have produced?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

came into this thinking it was good to punch nazis, but after reading some of the arguments itt im beginning to wonder if maybe its not good to punch nazis

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

that's exactly what a nazi does, blows off the threat and acts like it's not serious, everyone punch this guy

nice meltdown

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Look, if we say it's okay to punch Nazis, I bet sooner or later we'll start to justify violence against any racist anti-Semitic homophobic authoritarian hate group. It's a slippery slope here.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

Look, if we say it's okay to punch Nazis, I bet sooner or later we'll start to justify violence against any racist anti-Semitic homophobic authoritarian hate group. It's a slippery slope here.

You mean like communists?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good idea to beat up nazis

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

came into this thinking it was good to punch nazis, but after reading some of the arguments itt im beginning to wonder if maybe its not good to punch nazis

Please reconsider

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hogge Wild posted:

There is nothing more American than sockin' it to a commie.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

what im struggling with is the dilemma that pittberg lamb and others have argued persuasively, that punches intended for nazis may sometimes be received by non-nazis, for whatever reason. this troubles me

there is also the issue that, having destroyed all nazis w/ punches, people may be then tempted to solve other problems with punching. this is bad, as punching is not a good solution for poor restaurant service, rush hour traffic, misbehaving dogs etc

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Personally I want to live in a more loving and caring world, a world where people actually care about other people, because they might get punched

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Also, I can't wait until we punch all the nazis, and then we can move on to punching the lesser racists and misogynists and then move on to the liberals, bring on the slippery slope imo

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Is it morally ok to beat my wife if she hates Mongolians?

Not legally ok, just morally guys.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

AARO posted:

Oddly specific example

Hogge Wild posted:

you're a bad op

Flesh Forge posted:

A number of people have said in conversation about this whole nazi thing that it's okay, there's just no way there could ever be a fascist takeover in the US, and that the whole idea of ethnic extermination is so dumb that it could never catch on.

It's weird because hitler took inspiration for the holocaust from american native extermination programs so it's not like "it couldn't happen here" even makes sense.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Pull the switch and punch the NYT columnist, duh.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

AARO posted:

Is your wife advocating the genocide of Mongolians? then yes you should punch that nazi bitch :shrug:

People keep asking these things the same way, it's like the loving "does the dog have a Buddha-nature" poo poo

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

AARO posted:

No. But if she progresses to actively advocating for the genocide of Mongolians you should definitely divorce her. Then when it's gone through and you're no longer in a domestic relationship with her you can go ahead and punch her for being a genocide advocate.

Hope this helps.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Anchor Wanker posted:

While we're punching Nazis, Also punch members of any white nationalist organization.

Also the Alt-right in general. It is morally good to punch almost all of these people. hth

I say Make the Alt Right live in fight.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
^^^^forge the alt-right into a fighting force through constant harassment

could work, could also not work very well. depending on several factors

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*commits organized political violence* WE'RE THE ANTIFASCISTS!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

screw it, let's turn this entire nation into a free-for-all punch party, anyone we don't agree with deserves violence on the pretext that their opinions might, after 78 pre-requisite factors are fulfilled, lead to their own violence in some kind of nightmare world that i imagine trump will eventually create
What's weird is we keep talking about punching Nazis and you keep talking about punching everyone. Are surrounded by Nazis? I mean sometimes I feel like it too, but it's probably not literally true.

But hey, if it is you need to punch them all, Hope This Helps.

Hogge Wild posted:

No one cares what you think.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Calibanibal posted:

what im struggling with is the dilemma that pittberg lamb and others have argued persuasively, that punches intended for nazis may sometimes be received by non-nazis, for whatever reason. this troubles me

there is also the issue that, having destroyed all nazis w/ punches, people may be then tempted to solve other problems with punching. this is bad, as punching is not a good solution for poor restaurant service, rush hour traffic, misbehaving dogs etc
For the first, yeah if your aim is bad enough that you'll miss and punch the person standing next to the Nazi, or holding him down for you while you're knocking out his Nazi teeth, then sure don't punch Nazis. I mean, practice punching first until you can reliably hit the Nazi, anyway.

For the second, yeah it's a bad deal, which is why you're not supposed to let Nazis ever think they have free rein in your society to go around doing Nazi things. We kinda fell down on that one though, America, so time to get punching.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nazis should be punched because they wreck everything, hate people for no good reason and are incapable of being negotiated with because violence is inherent to what they are, we kind of know this (most of us, anyway) because World War 2 and all that

Nazi sympathizers should also be punched because they apologize for the fascists' crimes and enable their behaviour through their well meaning if not utterly unhelpful or outright destructive concern trolling. Trying to reason with fascists once they've weaseled their way into your government (as they have in the US) is a pointless endeavor since they're just going to gently caress you over anyway, and their apologists will always find something about your protests to invalidate your point or actions in their eyes no matter how "reasonable" you are

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 25, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

*commits organized political violence against fascists* WE'RE THE ANTIFASCISTS!

gently caress this gently caress you

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

trusting antifa with anything in this day of free information is not smart

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If someone's speech is inciting violence then using force to prevent it is really just self-defense, no?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Calibanibal posted:

As someone who used to be involved in some Antifa poo poo, I feel like I have some authority here.

Generally speaking, Nazis and Antifa seek each other out to beat each other up as a form of catharsis. It's a lot of angry teenage poo poo. I'm unusual in that I'm "Old Money became no money (during the Great Depression)" in terms of my background. Most on both sides were more "Raisin in the Sun" types, where their families had dreams of social mobility that didn't work out. The parents displaced this frustration onto their kids.* And the kids found out that punching their feelings was good therapy :)

In other threads I've talked about how there was a ritualized component to Antifa/Nazi fights. It's pretty obvious and unless you are a total moron or actively trying to start a fight (and if you are, you are probably an Antifa/Nazi). An example that Goons might get since evidently all Goons love Jesus (still surprised by that one) or at least Crusader Kings 2 is Orthodox and Catholic Eucharist. Go to a modern wedding with a mixed crowd and both Orthodox and Catholic services will have a helpful note carefully detailing who can and cannot receive the Eucharist. What happens is that most people just awkwardly receive the Eucharist. But the people who care? They stand out. It's pretty obvious to everybody and there is no ambiguity.

The mythology of "maybe someone will be confused with someone else when everyone involved can totally tell each other apart but they all look the same to me because I'm not involved" is the laziest form of concern trolling. Like, be better. Like, how many people do you think sneak into churches of the wrong denomination to "defile" them by violating their rules on eating some bread? Is that a credible threat?

*Side note: Kids from unspoken disappointment or divorce where "It's not your fault" but it totally was were much more likely to be Antifa whereas kids from vocalized disappointment or acrimonious "the kid is totally a piece in play on the board" divorces tended towards Nazism.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hogge Wild posted:

Communists are not morally equivalent to nazis. Read Red Army soldier accounts of the liberation of the death camps (Treblinka/Auschwitz) to learn why. All of them lived under communism, yet every single one of them regards what they saw in the nazi camps as almost inconceivable, beyond the pale.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, someone do us a solid and post some itt, I'm on my phone.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay so to all the bleeding heart pearl clutchers, where should we draw the line? Are wedgies okay? Because I am very pro Nazi Wedgie Caucus. I hope that's not too extreme of a solution to an infamous hate group and you will consider this point seriously :ohdear:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I just don't trust an assortment of anarchists and communists to draw the line for me.
Imo nazis should be arrested by police and forced to disperse whenever possible.
Leaving that job to citizens is just sloppy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why would police interfere with their government-protected First Amendment rights?

e: oh wait :ohdear:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Goa Tse-tung posted:

gently caress this gently caress you
I mean he's not wrong. Getting organized and going out and committing violence against fascists is literally antifascism. What else could it be?

Where he falls down is pretending there's something wrong with it, but up to that point he's on point. Poor fella just thinks all violence is the same, is all.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Wild Horses posted:

I just don't trust an assortment of anarchists and communists to draw the line for me.
Imo nazis should be arrested by police and forced to disperse whenever possible.
Leaving that job to citizens is just sloppy
I agree with this, but the thing is cops don't actually do any of that stuff, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kilroy posted:

I mean he's not wrong. Getting organized and going out and committing violence against fascists is literally antifascism. What else could it be?

Where he falls down is pretending there's something wrong with it, but up to that point he's on point. Poor fella just thinks all violence is the same, is all.

I changed his post tho

you could say fixed...

• Locked thread