Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

whatever7 posted:

If you are talking about bodies, preordering on Adorama or B&H probably will be the way to get it early.

I'm Australian :(

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Any idea how much the new x100 is going to be?

Nm, $1300

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 21, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuji boxes just show up. Even Adorama doesn't know when they have them in stock. Just put in your preorder early. Treat Fuji product like Nintendo consoles. Although based on this thread , recent Fuji bodies are harder to get than previous years. I don't if it was affected by Japanese earthquake or the continued downward forecasting of photography equipment sales.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

We're lucky. Digidirect and Michaels in Melbourne had 5 or more XT2 boxes ready when I walked in when the US was still linking people with 'Quick! Amazon has 6 XT2s in stock right now!'

We get enough and the demand just isn't high enough in Aus. It's great!

So when the US gets them, we'll get them at the same time. X100 stock might be tricky, but the rest should be fine.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Guess its time for me to upgrade to a used X100T!

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
I am so tempted. I don't need it at all because I have the 23 1.4 but I absolutely loved my old x100 and used it all the time. Back then it was my only Fuji camera though...I don't think I can justify it. If I were still drinking I think it would end up on my doorstep eventually.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

insideoutside posted:

I am so tempted. I don't need it at all because I have the 23 1.4 but I absolutely loved my old x100 and used it all the time. Back then it was my only Fuji camera though...I don't think I can justify it. If I were still drinking I think it would end up on my doorstep eventually.

I'm more tempted because the x100f takes the same batteries as my xpro2.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo the 300mm f/4.0 owns.

BRW10106 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20044 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20032 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I see why people are so big on the in-lens IS. Good lord it's fantastic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha, I just have this thing:

I mostly use it for air shows.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I remember having that lens! Largely because I was the only Olympus DSLR owner ever.

It's actually a pretty decent lens all told

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks again!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I finally got around to birding some birds and shooting some other poo poo with the 100-400. My initial autofocus concerns are not really an issue. A missed a few shots but ultimately I just need to get used to the lens and how it behaves. I don't think I would be getting much different results from a DSLR. And while there is noticeable softness at 400 vs 300 and below, that is all relative and the sharpness at 400 is nothing that I would have been complaining about at all if the whole range were that sharp, it is just that the lower part of the range is sharper in comparison. I am really glad I got the lens. I should probably try it on the X-T1 to see how it compares to the X-T2 but that will have to wait. Here are a few examples.

DSCF3754 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3719 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3772 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3826 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3950 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3984 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I got pretty big hands, and the xt10 was a bit too small for me. Does anyone here have experience with grips? I want it to be just that bit taller. The xt2 is so nice to hold, but the shop guy said the 20 would probably be a gull grand cheaper. He also told me its probably gunna be out the second week of Feb, going by his computer. This was digidirect for ausgoons.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Those are fantastic

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo the 300mm f/4.0 owns.

BRW10106 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20044 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20032 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

I see why people are so big on the in-lens IS. Good lord it's fantastic.

Hell yeah dude.

Thanks for posting the comparison btw. I can't see much of a difference. But I haven't checked them in Photoshop on a real computer yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hell yeah dude.

Thanks for posting the comparison btw. I can't see much of a difference. But I haven't checked them in Photoshop on a real computer yet.

no worries, it was pretty slapdash so let me know if you want me to give it another go

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Has anyone had a chance to play with the new-ish Olympus 12-100 f/4 PRO yet?

Right now I've got a bunch of primes in my bag but am planning on going to Costa Rica for a few weeks to visit family and do some off-the-beaten-path touring; it seems like it would be goddamned perfect to replace literally every single one of my lenses and all in a single unit. The sample shots I've been able to find online look super nice but I'm wondering if anyone has had any hands-on time with it and is aware of any quirks with it that I should be aware of before pulling the trigger.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I haven't, but I'm kind of ambivalent about the 12-100. Not doubting that it's nice and sharp and out performs other superzoom lenses, but personally I would have a hard time choosing it over the 12-40 2.8. The 12-100 is slower, and I feel like f/4 on m43 is just too much dof to be super useful for portraits, even though 50-100 is prime portrait range. I guess it would be pretty drat useful if you're going to be traveling and found a lot of opportunities for telephoto landscapes and documentary/street stuff, but unless I was really stuck with only taking one lens, I'd spring for the 12-40 plus the 75.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

...if you're going to be traveling and found a lot of opportunities for telephoto landscapes and documentary/street stuff, but unless I was really stuck with only taking one lens...
This is literally me. Every part of this sentence.

Well I guess I'm gonna have to go and see if the local shop has one I can borrow for a couple days.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

SMERSH Mouth posted:

but unless I was really stuck with only taking one lens, I'd spring for the 12-40 plus the 75.

Any reason for the 75 over the 40-150mm pro? I have the 12-40mm right now and am considering getting one of those, but am not sure which would be the better complement.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lhet posted:

Any reason for the 75 over the 40-150mm pro? I have the 12-40mm right now and am considering getting one of those, but am not sure which would be the better complement.

Depends a bit on what you want to do, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

75mm f/1.8 is a hell of a prime, and focuses really fast. It's a fantastic portrait lens. Downsides are you're locked at a pretty long length (remember, it's a 2x crop) and no sealing. $700-750 new. Does not come with a hood. Great with weddings. Easily maneuverable.

40-150mm f/2.8 pro is sealed against everything, and I've loved it. I find myself using it a lot more than the 75mm but I'm pretty rarely shooting portraits. Comes with a hood. $1400 new. A little ungainly to use if you don't have a battery grip.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Nikon 1 seems to be largely written off as a system, but I honestly think the 70-300 is one of the best birding/wildlife lenses.

DSC_6027.jpg by Phillip Tao, on Flickr

DSC_6282.jpg by Phillip Tao, on Flickr

DSC_6356.jpg by Phillip Tao, on Flickr

DSC_6494.jpg by Phillip Tao, on Flickr

DSC_6688.jpg by Phillip Tao, on Flickr

DSC_6789.jpg by Phillip Tao, on Flickr

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

DJExile posted:

Depends a bit on what you want to do, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

75mm f/1.8 is a hell of a prime, and focuses really fast. It's a fantastic portrait lens. Downsides are you're locked at a pretty long length (remember, it's a 2x crop) and no sealing. $700-750 new. Does not come with a hood. Great with weddings. Easily maneuverable.

40-150mm f/2.8 pro is sealed against everything, and I've loved it. I find myself using it a lot more than the 75mm but I'm pretty rarely shooting portraits. Comes with a hood. $1400 new. A little ungainly to use if you don't have a battery grip.

Looked around a bit, and it actually looks like it's possible to get the 40-150 for ~$1k on ebay, (and the 75mm for $550), which is a bit better than I was expecting. Though thinking about it, in the end it'll might just come down to whether I've upgraded my body (e-pl7) to something with a sturdier grip by the time I'm ready to grab one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lhet posted:

Looked around a bit, and it actually looks like it's possible to get the 40-150 for ~$1k on ebay, (and the 75mm for $550), which is a bit better than I was expecting. Though thinking about it, in the end it'll might just come down to whether I've upgraded my body (e-pl7) to something with a sturdier grip by the time I'm ready to grab one.

Yeah if you keep the EPL7 or get a similar PEN body (or any of them without a viewfinder), you're probably better off with the 75mm.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So, a question for you guys:

I shoot basically only analogic and have a nice Yashica setup for that, with a lot of very good to decent manual focus full frame lenses (from 19mm to 200mm, zooms and primes). I'm looking into getting into cinematography/video, but my budget is and is going to be in the near future, well, tight. I have a nex-3 I got here on the forums that I quite enjoy, so I'm thinking in getting a more video-oriented mirrorless. I do a lot of nature shooting in remote/hard conditions, from deserts to snow covered mountains, so I'm looking for something somewhat rugged and the form/size factor of going mirrorless over the huge, modern digital SLR is something that really appeals to me as I tend to do very long hikes and every ounce counts. I'll probably be going to Canada in the summer and I think I'll use the opportunity to buy this camera (I live in Brazil and cameras are insanely overpriced here - A new Canon 5D Mk IV, for example, costs more than 6k USD, twice what it costs in North America).

What I have in mind is something like this: an APCS camera (M43 would limit the use of all the nice lenses I already have) that would be weather or maybe even water proof when used with a kit lens and that would allow me to adapt the older lenses I have.

What should I be looking around? I really don't care about new/top of line gear and higher fps is a very good plus, but what I really want is some control/freedom over shooting settings (unlike the nex and the complete lack of control over settings for filming). I'll rather have good freedom in controls than improved dynamic range or very low light sensitivity, honestly. Focus speed is also something I don't care because well, I won't be using auto-focus anyways.

Suggestions on models or camera families I should be looking into? Cheers!

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 25, 2017

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Finally was able to sell my 6D so should be able to break even on an X-T20 when they go on sale next month. Thinking I'll go with kit lens to start. Anything else I should be aware of switching to a mirrorless system?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Finally was able to sell my 6D so should be able to break even on an X-T20 when they go on sale next month. Thinking I'll go with kit lens to start. Anything else I should be aware of switching to a mirrorless system?

Get a couple extra batteries. By and wide most mirrorless cameras kill batteries quicker than DSLRs, especially compared to the big ones that go in most full-frame bodies.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The XT-1 has a maximum flash sync speed of 1/180. However, when I fire my flash remotely at that speed (and even at, say, 1/160), my photos have a black line at the bottom (caused by the shutter curtain moving too fast?). Is it normal that I have to use a slower shutter speed than the maximum with off-cam flash? I'm using Phottix Odin triggers, if that helps.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

I shoot basically only analogic and have a nice Yashica setup for that, with a lot of very good to decent manual focus full frame lenses (from 19mm to 200mm, zooms and primes). I'm looking into getting into cinematography/video, but my budget is and is going to be in the near future, well, tight. I have a nex-3 I got here on the forums that I quite enjoy, so I'm thinking in getting a more video-oriented mirrorless. I do a lot of nature shooting in remote/hard conditions, from deserts to snow covered mountains, so I'm looking for something somewhat rugged and the form/size factor of going mirrorless over the huge, modern digital SLR is something that really appeals to me as I tend to do very long hikes and every ounce counts. I'll probably be going to Canada in the summer and I think I'll use the opportunity to buy this camera (I live in Brazil and cameras are insanely overpriced here - A new Canon 5D Mk IV, for example, costs more than 6k USD, twice what it costs in North America).

What I have in mind is something like this: an APCS camera (M43 would limit the use of all the nice lenses I already have) that would be weather or maybe even water proof when used with a kit lens and that would allow me to adapt the older lenses I have.

What should I be looking around? I really don't care about new/top of line gear and higher fps is a very good plus, but what I really want is some control/freedom over shooting settings (unlike the nex and the complete lack of control over settings for filming). I'll rather have good freedom in controls than improved dynamic range or very low light sensitivity, honestly. Focus speed is also something I don't care because well, I won't be using auto-focus anyways.

Manual focus, video-cenric, weather resistant with a kit lens and able to adapt all your current lenses? Maximum dynamic range not as important?
Panasonic GH5 if you've got the budget, G85 if you don't (it's also lighter). I know, I know, you don't want to change formats to m43, but hear me out. The camera you're describing is a Panasonic. All your lenses, whatever they are, can be adapted to m43. Eventually in your quest to shed weight, you'll find some excellent native lenses that are a much more compact than your full frame ones.
Anyway, that's my suggestion. I am a bit biased towards Panasonic, but mainly through familiarity and not being able to afford what I wanted from fuji or Sony.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

DJExile posted:

Get a couple extra batteries. By and wide most mirrorless cameras kill batteries quicker than DSLRs, especially compared to the big ones that go in most full-frame bodies.

Definitely this.
I know Sony FF is the most egregious about this but I went through 5 batteries (2 sony, 3 third party) every day in a recent trip to Japan.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schneider Heim posted:

The XT-1 has a maximum flash sync speed of 1/180. However, when I fire my flash remotely at that speed (and even at, say, 1/160), my photos have a black line at the bottom (caused by the shutter curtain moving too fast?). Is it normal that I have to use a slower shutter speed than the maximum with off-cam flash? I'm using Phottix Odin triggers, if that helps.

Yeah you have to use slower speed. It depends on the off brand trigger you use.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Primo Itch posted:

Panasonic M43 really seems like the best choice for you. The G85, GH5 or maybe even a used GH4 are excellent cameras that only cost a fraction of what a FF camera would cost. And you will LOVE the smaller size too, especially when you are traveling. There are tons of adaptors for all systems, the only limiting factor is the crop factor that makes it hard to get really wide angles from your FF glass.

I don't know what your budget is but if you can swing ~$1600 you can get a G85 and the Olympus 12-40 2.8 lens. That is a killer combo, body and lens are weather sealed and the G85 IBIS will help you to get the best out of the lens. Also: that lens is insanely sharp.

There are also the Sony a6300 or a6500 but the controls on those are hot garbage, the lens selection is not great, the battery usage is a joke, there is no touchscreen on the a6300 and the TS on the a6500 is super limited and the a6300 doesn't even have IBIS. Great video but I think you are better off with a Panasonic camera.

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

I got suckered into pre-ordering the X100F, should arrive late in February. Sold my old X100S late 2016 due to not needing a second body for weddings anymore but drat, I miss it.

Only afraid that this is a slippery slope and I want to upgrade my X-T1 after I've used the X-Trans III...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does anyone know where I could get replacement viewfinder eye cups for the X-T1? Both mine got knocked off while photographing inauguration protests and the only ones I can find to replace them are the EC-XT "long" eye cup, which I don't really like

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Does anyone know where I could get replacement viewfinder eye cups for the X-T1? Both mine got knocked off while photographing inauguration protests and the only ones I can find to replace them are the EC-XT "long" eye cup, which I don't really like

I bought the long eye cup since it worked better with my glasses, hence I got a spare ex of the original eye cup.
PM me your info and I can send it to you this week.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Did anyone here ever try the Olympus EE-1 red dot sight thing?

I guess it isn't mirrorless specific since you can use it on anything with a hotshoe mount once you calibrate it, but it seems like it would be neat for taking pictures of birdies or auto racing etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Did anyone here ever try the Olympus EE-1 red dot sight thing?

I guess it isn't mirrorless specific since you can use it on anything with a hotshoe mount once you calibrate it, but it seems like it would be neat for taking pictures of birdies or auto racing etc.

I thought about it with my gigantic 350mm f/2.8 but they're like $150 EDIT: $130 and I'd rather hold that money and do a bit of searching through the EVF

Plus it's not too hard to eyeball your subject just by aiming along the top of the lens. If i found one used on the cheap i might think about it for shits and giggles but it seems like it's just unnecessary bulk that could also easily be broken off.

E2: Reviews actually seem fairly positive on it if you have something longer than 300-350mm.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

X100F preordered. Who was I kidding when I thought I could control myself. I have a new credit card with a huge bonus but I need to spend $4,000. Anyone wants to buy an X100T? Some scratches on the body, but they add character! Functionally perfect.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Damienz posted:

Only afraid that this is a slippery slope and I want to upgrade my X-T1 after I've used the X-Trans III...

You will, the acros film sim is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Hi! I have a feeling the answer is "no," but does anyone know how to remove a minor-but-noticable scratch from a the glass LCD screen on my X-T2? It's not the end of the world, but it makes me sad inside.