Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Elysium posted:

I have a question about UR points. If you book things through the chase portal (through your Reserve card), let's say, a rental car, do you still get any advantages as if you booked using your Reserve to pay (such as a free upgrade)? What if you book 99% on points but leave $1 and pay that $1 with your Reserve card?

ps.s Just booked two round trip tickets from New York to Hawaii for 25k points each through Korean Air. I still have 66k points left. Thanks for all the free money Chase!

I don't have an answer for this, but have a question on the same topic. I'm specifically interested if you can take advantage of trip insurance if you buy plane tickets with chase UR points through the Reserve card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

extravadanza posted:

I don't have an answer for this, but have a question on the same topic. I'm specifically interested if you can take advantage of trip insurance if you buy plane tickets with chase UR points through the Reserve card.

For travel insurance it looks like it according to this blog post. http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/sapphire-insurance-award-tickets/

I'm not sure about the car rental benefits, I would think so though. You can try going to the Sapphire Reserve travel benefits page and clicking Learn more on Special Car Rental privileges, that page doesn't load for me because I don't have a Sapphire Reserve.

In both cases it's probably worth it to be sure and call the number on the back of the card and ask Chase directly.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Example, I have a $3000 balance with a payment due on Feb 1. I put $2000 more on the card after the statement generates, but then pay off the first $3000 before Feb 1. Does that mean that the newer $2000 won't accrue interest after Feb 1 and will continue not to accrue interest until the next month's due date?

This seems like a pretty basic "how do I credit card?" question but it's never been totally clear to me if it works like this.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
You only need to pay whatever is on your statement by the due date. Balance may never actually hit 0, depending on how quickly you pay off your statements.

It's ok, I had to explain this to my wife a few months back. She's 27 and has always just paid whatever was on her balance at the end of the month, which avoids late fees, anyway.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gregday posted:

Example, I have a $3000 balance with a payment due on Feb 1. I put $2000 more on the card after the statement generates, but then pay off the first $3000 before Feb 1. Does that mean that the newer $2000 won't accrue interest after Feb 1 and will continue not to accrue interest until the next month's due date?

Right, but if you only pay $2999 of that $3000 statement, everything may start accruing interest immediately depending on your credit card's terms.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Credit cards have a Billing Cycle (typically 1 month) and a Grace Period (typically ~25 days, depending on issuer) in which no interest is charged if the balance is paid in full by the Due Date.

This is how many of us use credit cards for literally every purchase that will allow it, set the bill to autopay, and never pay a cent in interest charges, even though we are constantly carrying a balance on the card from month to month.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Does anyone have the Barclaycard Priceline Rewards Visa? Are you able to redeem the rewards against all purchases or do they have to be purchases from priceline or coded as travel?

A friend is looking for a card that has offline chip and pin for travelling just to be on the safe side. Barclaycard has a few options that have no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee but one where he could just redeem rewards as cash or a statement credit would be best.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have 690 credit and I need a cc for business expenses. I will spend 15-20gs a year in travel probably. I have traveled every week this year except the first week of january.

Am I too low for chase sapphire pref? I'd like to get that if not what should I grab

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

I have 690 credit and I need a cc for business expenses. I will spend 15-20gs a year in travel probably. I have traveled every week this year except the first week of january.

Am I too low for chase sapphire pref? I'd like to get that if not what should I grab

Who do you fly and where do you stay? Bonus spend, perks, and qualifying whatever's might be a good focus.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wherever. Just whatever is closest to the client and I fly the airline w the most convenient times so I'm sorta all over.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Waroduce posted:

whatever is closest to the client and I fly the airline w the most convenient times

Me my whole life zero regrets high five

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Need some advice: I'm sitting on 88k TY points with Citi on a Prestige card that is due for renewal in April. I haven't claimed the $250 flight credit yet, I'm thinking just buying a gift card to burn this. Due to my having Citigold, my renewal is only $350. Based on their changes due in July of this year, I'm not sure if I want to keep this card, the big thing being the loss of Admiral's club (obviously not the greatest club). Should I just keep it as long as my fee is $350?

Additionally, I have a decent Chase relationship as I have checking, mortgage, Freedom and Sapphire preferred cards, and I think I'll grab the Reserve when my 5/24 status clears. I have 180k+ UR points.

I also have 240k AA points.

So, with the TY points, not sure what to do with them. Transfer to Hilton (I have scrub tier silver status with them) as there is a bonus going on currently? Singapore Air and then transfer a bunch from Chase for a big ol' Singapore redemption?

I have no air or any travel planned this year other than a tour in October.

I stock piled these points without a clear plan of what to do with them.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Waroduce posted:

It may depend on your income. I was accepted in November with a very sparse credit history, which kind of surprised me. I feel like my declared income played a role - otherwise they'd not have much to go on.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

Need some advice: I'm sitting on 88k TY points with Citi on a Prestige card that is due for renewal in April. I haven't claimed the $250 flight credit yet, I'm thinking just buying a gift card to burn this. Due to my having Citigold, my renewal is only $350. Based on their changes due in July of this year, I'm not sure if I want to keep this card, the big thing being the loss of Admiral's club (obviously not the greatest club). Should I just keep it as long as my fee is $350?

Additionally, I have a decent Chase relationship as I have checking, mortgage, Freedom and Sapphire preferred cards, and I think I'll grab the Reserve when my 5/24 status clears. I have 180k+ UR points.

I also have 240k AA points.

So, with the TY points, not sure what to do with them. Transfer to Hilton (I have scrub tier silver status with them) as there is a bonus going on currently? Singapore Air and then transfer a bunch from Chase for a big ol' Singapore redemption?

I have no air or any travel planned this year other than a tour in October.

I stock piled these points without a clear plan of what to do with them.

Even with the transfer bonus Hilton points are mediocre value, about $0.01 per point, unless you have a specific redemption in mind. Buying AA tickets is the best consistent value, SQ and Flying Blue are probably the best transfer partners though do note that SQ does add fuel surcharges unless the partner airline doesn't, another option is to pay your mortgage which isn't great value but gets you $0.01 a point.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Wherever. Just whatever is closest to the client and I fly the airline w the most convenient times so I'm sorta all over.

Amex Plat? 5x points on Airfare, Amex lounges, various credits and comps.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FunOne posted:

Amex Plat? 5x points on Airfare, Amex lounges, various credits and comps.

Amex plat gets you centurion lounge access, right? Do they offer a delta plat that gives you delta sky lounge access (similar to the United executive/AA executive club cards from chase/citi) and centurion lounge access?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

The normal American Express Platinum gives you access to the Delta skylounges if you have a delta flight that same day.

I think the $300 travel credit of the Chase Sapphire Reserve really puts it far ahead of the platinum. You'll absolutely use travel credit of the Reserve every calendar year but the $100 travel fee credit for the Platinum isn't nearly as good. The Reserve you don't get Delta or Centurion lounges though, just the ones included in Priority Pass.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

THF13 posted:

The normal American Express Platinum gives you access to the Delta skylounges if you have a delta flight that same day.

I think the $300 travel credit of the Chase Sapphire Reserve really puts it far ahead of the platinum. You'll absolutely use travel credit of the Reserve every calendar year but the $100 travel fee credit for the Platinum isn't nearly as good. The Reserve you don't get Delta or Centurion lounges though, just the ones included in Priority Pass.

Platinum is $200 for your selected airline. its good if you actually have a regular airline or just want to buy an airline gift card. Used to be able to do Amazon through United.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Amex plat gets you centurion lounge access, right? Do they offer a delta plat that gives you delta sky lounge access (similar to the United executive/AA executive club cards from chase/citi) and centurion lounge access?

Amex Plat gives you centurion lounge access anytime and Delta Skyclub access if you're flying with Delta. None of the Delta cards give centurion access and I don't even think any of them give unrestricted Skyclub access, iirc one reduces the price and the other requires you to be flying Delta.

If you fly a lot at airports with a centurion lounge I'd think the Amex Plat would be worth it for that alone.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Shadowhand00 posted:

Platinum is $200 for your selected airline. its good if you actually have a regular airline or just want to buy an airline gift card. Used to be able to do Amazon through United.

Only $200 in "incidental fees" like baggage or whatever, the Airline gift cards are a loophole of some sort because Amex specifically says "This benefit doesn't offer credit toward airline tickets, mileage points purchases or mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, upgrades, duty–free purchases, or award tickets." It does work currently though, I just got $200 in Southwest GCs reimbursed. Some people have reported getting reimbursed for sub-$100 SW fares too. I wouldn't count on it long term though, and they closed the Amazon GC loophole.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Only $200 in "incidental fees" like baggage or whatever, the Airline gift cards are a loophole of some sort because Amex specifically says "This benefit doesn't offer credit toward airline tickets, mileage points purchases or mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, upgrades, duty–free purchases, or award tickets." It does work currently though, I just got $200 in Southwest GCs reimbursed. Some people have reported getting reimbursed for sub-$100 SW fares too. I wouldn't count on it long term though, and they closed the Amazon GC loophole.

Yeah, but if you're proxying company spend through your own card, that's $200 back in your pocket for spend that is reimbursed and credited by Amex. Check some bags and make money! Or airplane booze and food.

Same with the hotel freebie status, amex lounges, and whatnot. All additive in my mind if the company is picking up the spend and you're not on an AA or United where you'd want to focus your benfits.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
So I've got Priority Pass from Amex Plat, and I just got the CSR, which also offers Priority Pass. If I close my Amex Plat, will they nuke my Priority Pass membership or is there something I can do to keep it active without having to sign up and get mailed a card again?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

So my daily driver of the Sallie Mae Mastercard is gonna be replaced by a much worse tier of rewards next month so I'm switching that over to Citi DoubleCash. However I've realized that there's literally no situation where I would want to use the new card the mastercard is being replaced by over the DoubleCash, Chase Freedom rotating rewards, or my no foreign fees card if i'm traveling.

My question is, should I just charge the occasion coffee and let it sit in my wallet or close it? I hear that if you close an account it still stays positive on your credit score for 10 years or so before affecting it but don't know it that's just hearsay.

For the record I'm not planning on buying a house soon or anything else that needs me to minmax my credit score.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I like to just put them in a sock drawer. Sometimes they get closed. Sometimes they don't.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zikan posted:

For the record I'm not planning on buying a house soon or anything else that needs me to minmax my credit score.
Normally I'd say just find your smallest recurring bill (Netflix, Spotify, etc.) and run that through it with the card set to autopay. But if you're not terribly concerned about building score anymore, maybe just close it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I'm right on the line of approval for chase sapphire preffered.....is the freedom bad? Should I just risk it on the preffered?

690 credit score 70k income

Also the Amex Plat is a charge card....not a credit card....does that matter?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Waroduce posted:

Charge cards generally require you to pay your bill in full every month, whereas credit cards only require you to pay a small portion of the balance every month (although, barring a serious emergency, you should never do that because you'll pay a crap-ton in interest charges.)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
As a matter of best practices you typically do not want to carry a charge over month to month and always pay credit card in full is that correct?

if it is does it then matter that your statement will be effectively I guess $0 every single month..... will the credit company know you're using it

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Waroduce posted:

As a matter of best practices you typically do not want to carry a charge over month to month and always pay credit card in full is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Waroduce posted:

if it is does it then matter that your statement will be effectively I guess $0 every single month..... will the credit company know you're using it

Yes, the issuing bank will know you're using it. If you mean for credit reporting purposes, yes they will know that account is open and active. And as an added bonus, by paying off the card every month your utilization ratio will always be low (the amount of credit you are using versus the total amount of credit which is available to you) which is good for your credit score.

Win win.

Only suckers carry a balance on their credit cards.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Waroduce posted:

So I'm right on the line of approval for chase sapphire preffered.....is the freedom bad? Should I just risk it on the preffered?

690 credit score 70k income

Why do you want a CSP? Are you trying to subsidize a vacation using ultimate rewards? Do you expect to spend 4000$ in purchases on it in the first 3 months?

Basically, what is your goal/what are you trying to do? I can give you better advice with more info.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Waroduce posted:

The credit card company reports the amount due on your statement date and a status, current, late, default, etc. If you use your card and don't pay it off early then that amount will be reported and if you pay it y the due date, typical 25ish days after the statement date, then you won't pay interest.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I recently switched from using a debit card to the amazon cc. Is there any reason not to set it to autopay?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I recently switched from using a debit card to the amazon cc. Is there any reason not to set it to autopay?
I would go about it in 1 of 2 ways. The obvious way is to set the card to autopay the entire statement balance. As long as your checking account has enough money to pay the bill you'll never have a late payment and will never pay interest.
The other way is to set autopay to only pay the minimum payment for each statement, but still manually pay the entire statement balance. For a lot of people this forces them to login every month and check their CC activity for anything fraudulent. The minimum payment on autopay ensures they don't get a late payment if they somehow forget to make a payment one month.

I personally like to set everything to autopay in full and use Mint to keep an eye on everything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

THF13 posted:

I personally like to set everything to autopay in full and use Mint to keep an eye on everything.
Seconding this approach. If you're paranoid that you won't check it enough, a lot of credit cards support texting you transaction alerts or push notifications with their app so can quickly verify all activity.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I guess I've churned too hard-- Cap One won't let me apply for the Venture (cancelled it 10 months ago) and couldn't get the Merrill Lynch BoA card for whatever reason. I picked up the Discover card for the 5% + double year bonus last night, and I'm not really eligible for any of the best cards until I can do the Citi Hilton Reserve in July. Bonuses of $200-$250 just aren't exciting enough. Any recommendations?

Current cards:
CSP (calling in to change this to a CSR soon)
Chase Freedom
Chase United MP Explorer
US Bank REI
US Bank Gold Amex FlexPerks
Barclay Arrival+
Citi Hilton Visa Signature
Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Amex PRG
Capital One Venture One
BoA MLB Card (x2)
Crate and Barrel

Cards waiting to be able to quality for sign-up bonus again:
Citi AA Plat
Citi Hilton Reserve
Chase Southwest Premier (end of this year)
Chase Southwest Plus (end of this year)

Amex cards I've already done:
Gold / Plat Skymiles
SPG

Edit: I got the ML BoA card. I read about how people got rejected (or maybe it was told "no decision") for the Merrill Lynch card but then would find it on their account. I applied, got rejected, and checked my BoA account and didn't see it. Logged in today and there it was. So, this should last me until about March/April and then I'll have to find a card for May/June.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 28, 2017

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ameriprise plat was good.

I'm thinking get the Mercedes Benz one next.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There's a Citi AA Plat application without the 24 month restriction floating around. You also have none of the Amex Plats and business cards in your list.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

asur posted:

There's a Citi AA Plat application without the 24 month restriction floating around. You also have none of the Amex Plats and business cards in your list.

I'll look around for that AA Plat app in April. Thanks.

Yeah, I've missed the few times there was a 100K Plat offer and I'm not sure how to sign up for business cards since I don't have a small business. I started looking into that and then bounced once I saw that I got the Merrill Lynch card. I'll probably have to start signing up for business cards that this fall while I wait for the Southwest cards to pop so I can get a 2018/2019 companion pass.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mourne posted:

Why do you want a CSP? Are you trying to subsidize a vacation using ultimate rewards? Do you expect to spend 4000$ in purchases on it in the first 3 months?

Basically, what is your goal/what are you trying to do? I can give you better advice with more info.

Well I've never had a credit card and I figure it's time to build my credit. I travel alot for work and will clear 4k easily. I travel primarily domestically and have expensed roughly 5k so far this year. I buy alot of airline tickets, but not one airline and I stay in alot of hotels but always what's easiest for me in relation to client location. I'd like to maximize my returns/rewards.

I also enjoy traveling for fun soooo idk....miles are nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Waroduce posted:

if it is does it then matter that your statement will be effectively I guess $0 every single month.....
Not necessarily. Once the statement cuts, you have X amount of time to pay that statement amount without any interest accruing.