Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The water temple is almost as tedious as teaching goons to communicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Friend who has only played Ocarina 3D and was thinking about getting Breath of the Wild asked me to explain the timeline to him. Do you ever have a moment of self reflection after doing something and wonder "how did I get here"?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And you may ask yourself
Where is that switch pro controller?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful switch
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful joycon

Letting the launch go by
Let the WiiU hold me down

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well you said it was tedious, so how would you make it not tedious? In the 3DS version you literally just press a button to put the boots on and off and I don't see how that's tedious at all.

... ok well you're coming at this from a weird angle and I'm not going to claim to be a guy who knows better game design than the people who created this classic video game but I have thought about it a bit and I think what was frustrating me is the multi-level aspect of the puzzle fucks with the way I normally play a Zelda dungeon. Normally I travel down one path until I need a thing, so then I go down another available path until I find the thing. This just adds an extra layer where there are multiple paths that only work in certain situations and you have to figure out where the places to change them are and all that stuff. Just a lot of stuff to keep track of at once.

Not that this is a bad dungeon or anything. I think I was overstating my dislike of the level earlier to be honest, it just played differently than I was expecting it to and from the sound of it it's not going to escalate from here, so I am
just going to chill out and finish it now. :cool:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In terms of exploration my basic plan at the start is to stick to the rivers and lakes that I'm used to.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codenameFANGIO posted:

... ok well you're coming at this from a weird angle and I'm not going to claim to be a guy who knows better game design than the people who created this classic video game but I have thought about it a bit and I think what was frustrating me is the multi-level aspect of the puzzle fucks with the way I normally play a Zelda dungeon. Normally I travel down one path until I need a thing, so then I go down another available path until I find the thing. This just adds an extra layer where there are multiple paths that only work in certain situations and you have to figure out where the places to change them are and all that stuff. Just a lot of stuff to keep track of at once.

Not that this is a bad dungeon or anything. I think I was overstating my dislike of the level earlier to be honest, it just played differently than I was expecting it to and from the sound of it it's not going to escalate from here, so I am
just going to chill out and finish it now. :cool:

I feel you, though, I feel like all of that tedium was removed in the 3DS version due to the game telling you where to go exactly for most of it and at a pace where it's easy to remember when you had to backtrack.

The original version of the game, god, I must have spent hours on it because I kept going to areas that I didn't need to and there was no guides at all. By the time you had everything unlocked? Have fun remembering anything. That poo poo was miserable. Maybe it's because I'm not 10 anymore and maybe I wouldn't have that much trouble in the original version of the game at this point but OoT3D made the dungeon as tedium free as possible.

Also, not loving having to pause and unpause when you needed the stupid boots. gently caress.that.poo poo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In terms of exploration my basic plan at the start is to stick to the rivers and lakes that I'm used to.

I think you're moving too fast.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Friend who has only played Ocarina 3D and was thinking about getting Breath of the Wild asked me to explain the timeline to him. Do you ever have a moment of self reflection after doing something and wonder "how did I get here"?

Timeline's made up and the chronology don't matter.

It's a legend.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dublish posted:

It's a legend.

What the gently caress

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah seriously the only reason nintendo started caring about the timeline was to market skyward sword as ~the prequel~. Outside of direct sequels your friend doesn't really need to know anything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most of the games in the series are direct sequels or prequels to exactly one other game in the series, and this is a good thing about them. Sometimes different ones are sequels to the same game, and they contradict each other. So they said, "Eh, we've got time travel in this series already, let's just say that's why they both exist."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

Yeah seriously the only reason nintendo started caring about the timeline was to market skyward sword as ~the prequel~. Outside of direct sequels your friend doesn't really need to know anything.

Also hadn't Shigeru Miyamoto been saying for years that he had a definite timeline written out somewhere and it was a secret? The whole "timeline" thing has been going since at least Wind Waker.

The Timeline is dumb and they can do whatever they want with it since they created 3 distinct timelines after OOT and who's to say they won't just say "Oh, well this timeline is from when Groose was the true Hero" for the next, Groose-descendants centered game.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I did it, everyone. I beat the Water Temple.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And it only took you eighteen years

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Next time consult a gamefaq

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

I did it, everyone. I beat the Water Temple.

I'm proud of you.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

pentyne posted:

Also hadn't Shigeru Miyamoto been saying for years that he had a definite timeline written out somewhere and it was a secret? The whole "timeline" thing has been going since at least Wind Waker.

The timeline debate goes back even further than Wind Waker. I spent a lot of time in in the late nineties arguing on LoZ forums about the 'True Timeline". I think OoT kicked off the major timeline debate because it told the story of the Imprisoning War that was in ALttP's prologue (or did it?!?), and obviously LoZ and AoL were connected.

At that time the hot topic was whether there was one timeline or two, oh and even if there was one Link or multiple. Little did we know that in the future Nintendo would blow that debate out of the water with the reveal of the three timelines in Hyrule Historia. Ahh, good memories of arguing about something that doesn't matter in the slightest.

And speaking of connected timelines, which Link is the "most adventured"? It should be ALttP because that same Link goes on to the two Oracle games and then LA before drowning at sea, right? I guess WW Link was in PH and ST but I haven't played them yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

King of Foolians posted:

And speaking of connected timelines, which Link is the "most adventured"? It should be ALttP because that same Link goes on to the two Oracle games and then LA before drowning at sea, right? I guess WW Link was in PH and ST but I haven't played them yet.

He doesn't drown at sea god drat it. :colbert: I wish LA got a sequel that let us know he made it back safely.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Link to the Past Link's fate is ambiguous, and that is okay, and cool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

I guess WW Link was in PH and ST but I haven't played them yet.

Only PH actually. ST takes place 100 years later.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Only PH actually. ST takes place 100 years later.

:siren: BotW confirmed direct sequel to ST :siren:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/823924607686242305
Zelda sale for Europe!! Also includes DLC for Hyrule Warriors!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hopefully that means cheap Majora's Mask :nyoron:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rexroom posted:

Where do I get that hoodie?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rexroom posted:

A US sale would be nice too.

The Dave posted:

I think you're moving too fast.

I'm gonna have it my way or nothing at all.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

I really liked the remote for aiming the bow or the claw shot. Joysticks are terrible for that. If they could do gyro aiming in breath of the wild, that would be cool. That's really the only thing it's good for though. Now that I've finished the game, I would rather have a normal controller. I still liked most of the game but the controls biffed it.

The bow gyro aiming is badass and my favorite part of the game was doing the shooting minigame. It looks like that's carrying over? Don't want to lug it with the Gamepad tho, splatoon flashbacks D:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

youcallthatatwist posted:

Literally every game since OoT makes its connections to other games obvious, so...

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Literally every game since OoT makes its connections to other games Lobvious, so...

The 3D games do, but the 2D games have always been pretty ambiguous as to where they fit on the overall timeline.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, to play Majora's Mask for the first time, what version should I get? 3DS or WiiU VC version?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

pentyne posted:

So, to play Majora's Mask for the first time, what version should I get? 3DS or WiiU VC version?

3DS. It's an updated remake with tons of quality of life upgrades and better graphics + framerate.

the Wii U VC is just an emulated N64 game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

pentyne posted:

3DS for all the modern concessions, but afterwards watch an LP of the 64 version to see all the original bosses etc

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

3DS for all the modern concessions, but afterwards watch an LP of the 64 version to see all the original bosses etc

They actually changed the bosses? :catstare:

I never played the remake. I've liked everything i'd hear about it until now. That seems like a really weird thing to do.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Nephzinho posted:

I tried to write a 'splitless' timeline around when ALBW came out just because I felt like it. So yes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Phimosissy posted:

They actually changed the bosses? :catstare:

I never played the remake. I've liked everything i'd hear about it until now. That seems like a really weird thing to do.

Design wise they're all worse because they added huge eyeballs as weak points in places that don't make sense (Goht's new eyeball is on his back...)

Gameplay wise some are worse but some are better. Odolwa's really fun now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

Wait, wait, hold the gently caress up. Where do I get a sweet Hyrule Hoodie like his?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You're the second person to ask. I don't know but personally I like this one better:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jo...si08aAlbi8P8HAQ

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love that this is in the suggestions

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/hsjh/

Who's going to wear this anywhere but to a con as a low-effort cosplay?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I love that this is in the suggestions

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/hsjh/

Who's going to wear this anywhere but to a con as a low-effort cosplay?

My very nerdy 18-year old coworker got that exact hoodie for Christmas and it is every bit as ridiculous as you can imagine. I certainly pretended like it was awesome though when he showed me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Truly an example of subtle video game clothing to show off your passion to other fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, wait, hold the gently caress up. Where do I get a sweet Hyrule Hoodie like his?

According to google they sell it at the Nintendo World Store in New York and... nowhere else. :smith: