Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I got the kaiser knuckle chick a while back.

Pulled a "freebie" Elle today. Not sure how I feel about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'd think I'd figure it out after 1/2 a year playing, but how do weakness/resistance stack? Specifically say I'm dual wielding holy in one hand and fire in the other and then I use a wind attack. Like what if what I'm attacking is weak to 1 and resistant to 2 or vice versa?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If what's your attacking has 100% resistance to at least one of them your entire attack is nullified. Otherwise I don't know myself.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

McSpankWich posted:

Keep in mind that in order to trigger this requirement (and any of the "kill with" requirements), you only need to use a damage item (or the thing) on the turn that the boss dies. It doesn't actually have to be the killing damage, it just has to be one of the things in the pile of killing damage.

Are you certain? This hasn't been my experience.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HGH posted:

If what's your attacking has 100% resistance to at least one of them your entire attack is nullified. Otherwise I don't know myself.

And this isn't 100% true either. If I have a Excalibur and a Sakubufura(sp?) on Noctis, and use Blizzard Flask on Cecil, it does damage. Just a very small amount of damage.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Peachfart posted:

It's true, mostly.

It has to be part of the killing burst. Like, you can't use your item, wait, and then use the actual killing blow.

You've got to time it right and get it in the chain for best results.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Peachfart posted:

And this isn't 100% true either. If I have a Excalibur and a Sakubufura(sp?) on Noctis, and use Blizzard Flask on Cecil, it does damage. Just a very small amount of damage.
I assume the Flasks have different rules due to being hybrid physical/magical attacks.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody wants that armor.

wait, can you get TM from arena, not just from running earth shrine entrance 100000 times?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Professor Cthulhu posted:

wait, can you get TM from arena, not just from running earth shrine entrance 100000 times?

They didn't set an arena team, so their current TM farming team will be representing them in the arena.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
No, those are just people who don't know how to properly set Colosseum teams.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Peachfart posted:

Resistances are averaged and you're attacking with a Light + Ice damage attack. There might be some hybrid shenanigans going on, but a purely Physical damage attack that did Light + Ice damage would also deal damage to Cecil.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Peachfart posted:

Go RV! posted:

It's true, mostly.

It has to be part of the killing burst. Like, you can't use your item, wait, and then use the actual killing blow.

You've got to time it right and get it in the chain for best results.

To better clarify: Assuming it works like Limit Breaks and Espers, in order to get the credit the item can either be the killing blow itself or overkill damage. What the game actually checks for is "does [attack type] reduce monster to 0 HP?" Naturally, if it's already dead and then the attack hits, it's okay because the monster is already at 0 HP. The hard part is that you have to actually get the attack to hit before the boss explodes in a shower of violent earthquakes as bosses do.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Who's Fortite?

We need Ace for 3 more days, Man.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

KataraniSword posted:

To better clarify: Assuming it works like Limit Breaks and Espers, in order to get the credit the item can either be the killing blow itself or overkill damage. What the game actually checks for is "does [attack type] reduce monster to 0 HP?" Naturally, if it's already dead and then the attack hits, it's okay because the monster is already at 0 HP. The hard part is that you have to actually get the attack to hit before the boss explodes in a shower of violent earthquakes as bosses do.

Having someone who has a long attack animation and does multiple attacks, like Lightning or a Barraging CoD, helps a lot because they'll happily keep pounding away long after the boss is dead.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AegisP posted:

Resistances are averaged and you're attacking with a Light + Ice damage attack. There might be some hybrid shenanigans going on, but a purely Physical damage attack that did Light + Ice damage would also deal damage to Cecil.

Did somebody say hybrid shenanigans?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
no get out of here you nasty unit

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
Elemental resist is just a multiplier to your damage and has nothing to do whether you are using physical, magic, or hybrid attacks. To get that multiplier you just average the resistances.

For example let's take Vajra and a Noctis with an Excalibur and Chirijiraden equipped using thunder flask. The thunder flask will have all three elements associated with it (Holy, Fire, Lightning).
Vajra has +50% to fire, -50% to lightning, and 0% to holy. This would give you a (50-50+0)/3=0 meaning you would receive no extra damage from your elemental attacks.

If something has over 100% resist it doesn't mean they absorb that element either it just means its a much harder to overcome that resistance.
Like say Vajra has +200% fire, -50% lightning and 0% holy you would get (200-50+0)/3=50 meaning you would do 50% less damage. Anything over 100% just means you do no damage.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I'm having trouble figuring out how to get Charlotte's Patriot shield. I can't figure out how to initiate it.

nevermind 2 seconds of google got me what I was looking for

hagie fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2017

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Questions

1. Whats the best way to farm the mats to Upgrade whats her face Arianna
2. How long does her event last for
3. Is it only awaken to 5 or to 6 for that free Lapis

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shoenin posted:

Questions

1) farm the first fight since it costs 3 energy and has 3 drop chances which is by far the best ratio of energy to drop chances
2) i dont know
3) i dont know

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

Questions

In reverse order:

Her event lasts until the 27th. If you look at each special vortex it tells you exactly how long you have left.

You can awaken to 5 and get the Lapis, but she's actually not a terrible unit at all, Bioga and Thundaga are useful, and her buff songs are great for one round kill parties. Also sometimes you gotta send someone out to die and it's the bard.

You need five of each girly Awakening material to get her to 5*, and ten more of each to get her to 6*, for a total of 15 of each. You can do the beginner level over and over to get them.

Her equipment requires Musical Notes, however, which are only dropped by the boss, which does not appear on the beginner level. The higher the level, the better the Gigantaur you receive in addition.

I was able to get all her equipment and get her to 6* in under 24 hours.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want to second that it's worth getting Ariana to 6 stars while her event is active. You also want to craft two microphones, two gloves, one bunny hat, and one dress. The second microphone can be equipped if you have a dual wield materia.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

If you look at each special vortex it tells you exactly how long you have left.

sonovagun I always forget that

thanks mates!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

In reverse order:

Her event lasts until the 27th. If you look at each special vortex it tells you exactly how long you have left.

You can awaken to 5 and get the Lapis, but she's actually not a terrible unit at all, Bioga and Thundaga are useful, and her buff songs are great for one round kill parties. Also sometimes you gotta send someone out to die and it's the bard.

You need five of each girly Awakening material to get her to 5*, and ten more of each to get her to 6*, for a total of 15 of each. You can do the beginner level over and over to get them.

Her equipment requires Musical Notes, however, which are only dropped by the boss, which does not appear on the beginner level. The higher the level, the better the Gigantaur you receive in addition.

I was able to get all her equipment and get her to 6* in under 24 hours.

Minor correction: She's here until February 2. Shes also got one of the highest base MAG in the game.

Also make sure you make two gloves, and consider making a second Microphone. They can be Dual Wielded and only cost 5 notes to make.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, you're right about the 2nd. Even better, no excuse to not get her!

Her microphones aren't counted as instruments for some reason, maybe as rods or staves. You can give her a microphone and another stave or rod, or two of each if you can get a better option than her microphones.

EDIT: Dangerous Ariana can also equip level 4 white materia, for more bardly support action.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Somebody's Lightning just cast Flare on me in the Arena. Wasn't expecting that....

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Her microphones aren't counted as instruments for some reason, maybe as rods or staves.

So no TM bonus?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
They count as instruments, they're just a special case of instrument that can be dual wielded.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mischalaniouse posted:

They count as instruments, they're just a special case of instrument that can be dual wielded.

I'm pretty sure they are classified as ...

dangerous.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm pretty sure they are classified as ...

dangerous.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Dammit, was just dumping my spare energy into the maze when maintenance hit, bahh. It's Tuesday fools, so early

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Looks like this might be a good banner. Yun has good stats and decent attacks for his 5* status. Ling, meanwhile, has WoL 6* level Break effects split much like Arms and Armour Eraser, plus AoE Raise and AoE Esuna. All of her step abilities also have this weird stacking future attack bonus to her next attack built into them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Xiao looks... okay. Maybe not amazing, but she's got a -40% ATK/DEF break, a 180%/30% Def-Pierce AoE (think Chizuru's Phantom Shadow, it's like that), is immune to blind, and can basically hulk out at will. All she's missing is a solid power move and maybe a little more HP if she's gonna be counter-tanking. She's not meta-defining, but she's no Medius, either. Solidly on Snow's level of "probably outclassed but decently usable in a pinch".

Yun gets Reduce Encounter and is thus terrible no matter how good he is. (In all seriousness, Blazing Combo is the familiar 'multi hit elemental-imperil' we know from Mercedes and will know from Orlandu, except it's natively Fire elemental, so it can capitalize on itself regardless of equipment. He also can charge up like a DBZ character which seems counterintuitive but could have its uses.) Worth noting is that he has Green Magic 5, so you can slap all your Bar-ras on him if you don't want to use Carbuncle.

Ling is.... weird. On paper she's a great support unit, on par with CoD, but she has absolutely no offense, despite getting an exclusive Killer skill and all of her dances apparently (?) having stacking selfish ATK buffs. She really, really needs Barrage or something slapped on her to work, though Stab (off the Halloween knife) has some appeal in this situation as well.

EDIT: And her LB is MAG damage, which has absolutely no synergy with whatever these dances do to her ATK. What the hell? :psyduck:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 25, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's worth noting that in addition to her support focus, Ling also has 40% innate physical dodge and an aoe status inflict step dance like fire flask on a 4* star base. She is going to be annoying as gently caress in Arena.

And Yun has the potential to have super high ATK numbers with his +30% innate ATK, +50% ATK e/ Light clothes, and his TM which happens to be Light Clothes and gives +30% more ATK with a Knuckle.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
she only uses daggers, too

e: I need yun's TMR so I can add that to the knuckle Firion build.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 25, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AegisP posted:

And Yun has the potential to have super high ATK numbers with his +30% innate ATK, +50% ATK e/ Light clothes, and his TM which happens to be Light Clothes and gives +30% more ATK with a Knuckle.

He's also got an Orlandu-tier base-ATK stat. 150 ATK before buffs, jesus gently caress. :gibs:

(While we're looking at base stats, though, 6* Ling has worse Attack than 6* Cecil, is stuck with daggers, and on reinspection that stacking ATK thing seems to only apply to autoattacks. So... yeah, she's not going to be attacking except maybe in Arena.)

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea Ling's base stats across the board seem strangely low, but given her skill setup it seems like she's our first clear support even if she has that weird stacking attack bonus and a killer passive.

Oh and Yun also has +40% crit which is neat.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So apparently Ace's global exclusive Wild Card works off of Dual Wield despite being magic damage, much like Sunbeam, meaning he's actually way better than was previously assumed. Not only will it be cast twice when dual wielding, it also uses weapon elements and Killer effects to boot.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Yun and Ling's self-attack buffs assumedly only work for autoattacks (it says next normal attack).

Yun innately has two-hit combo, the Twin Lance/Aurora Scarf passive.

Ling could make actual use of Aurora Scarf (never thought I'd say that)

Both would benefit from 20-sided Die (Ling moreso to stack her dodge to a whopping 60% without ANYTHING else), and the huge crit bonuses (to buff their already super high crit and more chance to make the autoattack crush)

Dana Crysalis fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So Ling is basically "dance for 8 turns buffing and debuffing then fish for a 800% super crit autoattacks". Sounds like a long con that doesn't lend itself to much fights.
Also her HP and defenses are dreadfully low. One bit of bad luck and you can kiss that stored power goodbye.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread