Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Adel posted:

The fact that Naze sleeps with them at all is disturbing. Even if there is absolutely no pressure from him, he's still in a position of authority and if he wanted (not saying he would) he could kick any of them off the ship, and they'd probably be worse off since their previous crew were likely absorbed into Turbines. The implied pressure to sleep with the boss in order to secure your spot, especially once babies start coming into the mix, is enough that any interest shown can't be comfortably taken as completely genuine. The only exception is Amida who has horrible taste :v:

I don't mean to sound like I'm moving goalposts, there is just no way, in my opinion, that the Turbines dynamic will ever not be creepy and it creeps me of that the show thinks it's p cool.

Yeah, like I said, I don't disagree that it's unhealthy. And I'm not even coming at it from the angle of a prudish straight western person. I just find it more constructive to criticize the character as presented rather than try to read super far into a power dynamic subtext that doesn't seem to actually exist or have been intended in the show. The Turbines themselves have never been portrayed as anything but a banded together unit/family with Naze trying to serve as their protector while also getting led around by his dick and willing to bed any of the girls who would be interested in it. That's already a little off putting by itself and being held up as a healthy example to Orga illustrates how hosed everything is and just makes it worse. It doesn't really need the extra layer of 'but what if there was an abusive sexual power dynamic' on top of that to be weird and kinda unsettling.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Edit: quote is not edit

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Dulkor posted:

Yeah, like I said, I don't disagree that it's unhealthy. And I'm not even coming at it from the angle of a prudish straight western person. I just find it more constructive to criticize the character as presented rather than try to read super far into a power dynamic subtext that doesn't seem to actually exist or have been intended in the show. The Turbines themselves have never been portrayed as anything but a banded together unit/family with Naze trying to serve as their protector while also getting led around by his dick and willing to bed any of the girls who would be interested in it. That's already a little off putting by itself and being held up as a healthy example to Orga illustrates how hosed everything is and just makes it worse. It doesn't really need the extra layer of 'but what if there was an abusive sexual power dynamic' on top of that to be weird and kinda unsettling.

No problem, I get what you mean and I appreciate the discourse, especially if it seems like I'm coming at a topic where my information or grasp of the situation is faulty. I personality enjoy reading too much into stuff and exploring the implications or "what ifs," but I know that's not to everyone's taste :shobon: I think we're just coming at the same topic with different approaches.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I really hope that Iok ends up on the business end of Barbatos' new claws.

Nah. Lafter does to Iok what Mika did to that idiot with Carta who posed on top of his Graze. Mostly, I don't want Mika to do it, someone with a more personal reason to end him should do it. Nothing spectacular, no big superweapon or multi-person battle. Just a squishy sack of meat on the wrong end of a MS-sized blunt object. He saw the moral high ground and started digging, let his death be the anticlimax he fears it will be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

I still feel all these are too random and therefore good for Iok. Having him be killed by Rustal would be the ultimate justice.

You used what? On escape pods? WITH WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THEM? *The sounds of Iok being strangled to death as Julietta eats some form of insect*

I'm glad we're finally getting in to real Gundam territory with some good old fashioned massive war crimes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You used what? On escape pods? WITH WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THEM? *The sounds of Iok being strangled to death as Julietta eats some form of insect*

I'm glad we're finally getting in to real Gundam territory with some good old fashioned massive war crimes.

Based on what we've seen of him, Rustal would probably be more angry about how horribly bungled the operation was rather than the actual content thereof. Iok took an entire Arianhrod battle fleet up against one assault ship, a couple of unarmed transports, and a handful of mobile suits and got a shitload of his own MS and an entire battleship destroyed despite deploying illegal superweapons and the Turbines entirely ceding the initiative in the battle by attempting to surrender multiple times rather than actively fighting back. That's fairly far over the line from "naive" to "dangerously incompetent".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rustal would perfectly fine with deploying illegal superweapons at the right time, but the time is not right, especially a minor loving skirmish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

Rustal would perfectly fine with deploying illegal superweapons at the right time, but the time is not right, especially a minor loving skirmish.

More importantly, there are witnesses out the rear end who have video and sensor logs of Iok using illegal weapons against surrendering and fleeing civilians. No matter what Rustal may think, he's going to have to cut Iok loose (or frankly execute him) because Gjallarhorn does not need or want this poo poo in the public eye right now when they've already been brutally humiliated by children and made out authoritarian dictators by the colonies. They've been trying to make themselves look respectable and the proud defenders of Earth (even their underhanded tactics with the Earth Branch were to push this line), and this poo poo just will not fly even for the Seven Stars.

Iok is hosed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Rustal didn't even do Dort. The Arianrhod Fleet had a different commander at the time, who looks, sounds, and behaves very differently to him. The implication is that he got the job after Kudelia blew the union massacres open and the other guy resigned in disgrace. He plays a little dirty, but I think the only time he's specifically gone after civilians was that bomb that injured Makanai. He's also fascinating because while he's a stern meritocrat, he also genuinely cares for his troops regardless of talent, and is actually kind of alarmed by the suicidal lengths they go to for him - see when he tried to talk down Julietta, and tried to get Gaelio to replace Iok before the kid could self-destruct even further. I don't think he even has any particular interest in maintaining Gjallarhorn's tyranny - he's just scared shitless of McGillis.

A few episodes ago people were thinking that Iok wasn't really that bad and there had to be some good to him given that his troops clearly respected him etc etc.

Rustal's reaction in the coming episode will determine how much of a shitbag he is. It'll be incredibly easy to write him as a huge fucktard thats irredeemable, just like Iok in less than 3 episodes.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Adel posted:

I don't mean to sound like I'm moving goalposts, there is just no way, in my opinion, that the Turbines dynamic will ever not be creepy and it creeps me of that the show thinks it's p cool.

No you're absolutely right and not overthinking it. In this show, where child slaves are traded like disposable garbage, where war machines require people to sacrifice their senses, where the head of a large family backstabbed and killed his childhood friends, then married the underage sister of one to secure his position; Truly the greatest horror is that a man keeps a space harem of women whom also work for him piloting trade ships and mobile suits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I gotta say this show really did a good job contrasting Carta and Iok. At first, they both seemed like well meaning, honourable people who unfortunately were help perpetrating a corrupt system. But now the show did a good job showing that "nope Iok's actually this dangerous self righteous rear end in a top hat whose willing to do war crimes due to a temper tantrum."

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Ka0 posted:

No you're absolutely right and not overthinking it. In this show, where child slaves are traded like disposable garbage, where war machines require people to sacrifice their senses, where the head of a large family backstabbed and killed his childhood friends, then married the underage sister of one to secure his position; Truly the greatest horror is that a man keeps a space harem of women whom also work for him piloting trade ships and mobile suits.

People seem to take sexual bizarreness as worse than violence and genocide, who knew? (yet why does nobody talk poo poo about McGillis being a fuckin creepo??? He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Naze.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diabetes Forecast posted:

People seem to take sexual bizarreness as worse than violence and genocide, who knew? (yet why does nobody talk poo poo about McGillis being a fuckin creepo??? He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Naze.)

People have talked about McGillis being a creepo a bunch. The thread had a long thing about it when he did that thing with Galigali's little sister.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

The difference is that only one of those things is treated by the show as good.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Ka0 posted:

Well I obviously think everything you listed is pretty abhorrent and have even posted about it in this very thread, though I don't blame you for not wanting to check my admittedly boring post history. I don't recall claiming that Naze's creepy harem is objectively the "greatest horror," you are aware that multiple things can be horrible at the same time and you don't have to give them a quantified score so you can rank them, right? A simple "is horrible? yes/no" is perfectly sufficient for everything mentioned in your post.

But I'm not talking about those things right this moment because they weren't the focus of the latest episode and that

Zerilan posted:

The difference is that only one of those things is treated by the show as good.

I mean I'd be more than happy to go into why everything else is super hosed but I'm pretty sure no one wants to read that.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 23, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The worst part about Naze Turbine was this thread's discussions about him.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Iok is a loving oval office.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also the last thread's

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

:yeah:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Speaking of naze and how horrible the recent chat has been

:kimchi:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Then he and Fellini meet. It results in a more dapper version of the Major Armstrong/Sig Curtis flex-off in FMA.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Droyer posted:

Also the last thread's

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

The Sandman posted:

Then he and Fellini meet. It results in a more dapper version of the Major Armstrong/Sig Curtis flex-off in FMA.

Kirara and Amida bond over how goofy their boyfriends are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Kirara and Amida bond over how goofy their boyfriends are.

Also over surprisingly lethal pink mobile suits.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Speaking of naze and how horrible the recent chat has been

:kimchi:

I really enjoy how the build fighters setting has turned into gundam Valhalla.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Pretty sure it's been that way since the scene from the first series showed Bernie and Co (was he eating a hamburger?)

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
And don't forget Mr. Ral.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kingtheninja posted:

Pretty sure it's been that way since the scene from the first series showed Bernie and Co (was he eating a hamburger?)

It's one of those things that aren't officially stated to be the case, but everyone from the production crew to the fans know the truth.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuroyama posted:

It's one of those things that aren't officially stated to be the case, but everyone from the production crew to the fans know the truth.

Didn't the producer officially state that to be the case?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kingtheninja posted:

I think Bernie and Christine were both clapping to congratulate Al over a win. And if Al is there it kind of detracts a bit from the Valhalla aspect, since while he did presumably die eventually, it's not something we ever see. That was the case with a lot of the cameos, lots of dead folks, but grouped up with people who didn't die at least during the show and probably not for a long time afterward. Like Domon with his parents and Kyoji building gunpla. Or Haman watching Mineva on kiddy rides. One of the better ones that wasn't like that was Char sitting down in a park while Lalah is looking around in the background with some ice-creams.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It was a bunch of characters who came to bad ends in their respective shows having a happy moment in a different world. Sadly it predated IBO, but Mika would probably be walking around in the background with Atra and Orga if it happened before.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Guy Goodbody posted:

Didn't the producer officially state that to be the case?

He did say it, but it was in an off-hand manner to one of the voice actors. Technically, there is nothing within the work or from an official source that states the Build Fighters universe to be Gundam heaven.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

tsob posted:

Like Domon with his parents and building a Gunpla WITH THE HELP OF KYOJI

Man, over acting Domon Kasshu, but a tiny child would have been really fun to watch.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Rain and Mineva also show up.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

tsob posted:

I think Bernie and Christine were both clapping to congratulate Al over a win. And if Al is there it kind of detracts a bit from the Valhalla aspect, since while he did presumably die eventually, it's not something we ever see. That was the case with a lot of the cameos, lots of dead folks, but grouped up with people who didn't die at least during the show and probably not for a long time afterward. Like Domon with his parents and Kyoji building gunpla. Or Haman watching Mineva on kiddy rides. One of the better ones that wasn't like that was Char sitting down in a park while Lalah is looking around in the background with some ice-creams.

I think you're supposed to show up in Valhalla in your prime. Stopping a nuke, saving Christmas, let's face it, Al peaked when he was 11.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
He didn't do either of those things.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

It depends if you're considering BF to be "Gundam Valhalla" or "Gundam Heaven". And even then, most of the pleasant afterlives don't have rules saying you can only hang out with people who died at the same time as you.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Somewhere in the BF world, Biscuit and Masahiro are chilling in a pub watching their siblings on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ka0 posted:

Somewhere in the BF world, Biscuit and Masahiro are chilling in a pub watching their siblings on tv.

I want Biscuit to be ludicrously talented Gunpla Battler,.

• Locked thread