Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Brunom1 posted:

Fixed that for you.

Fight me! :mad:

It can be both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

nine-gear crow posted:

Just remember, the deadline for your submissions for Viewers Choice Video are open until Jan 25th. So now that you've seen both Farbanti and Megalith, is there anything else you'd like to see me attempt in Ace Combat 04 before we shut this thing down for good?

Barrel roll around a suspension bridge, lengthwise

e: in an A-10

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Ace Number Eighteen, our final regular ace, is Smirnova. Named for Tamara Mikhaylovna Smirnova, best guess I can find about the exact date of birth being Christmas Day of 1935. Russian astronomer, staff member of the Institute of Theoretical Astronomy in Leningrad from 1966 to 1988, who discovered 135 asteroids between August 1966 and June 1984. The asteroid 5540 Smirnova, her 100th discovery, was named after her. Died in 2001, right around when this game came out, around 65 years old.

Of course, there's one more Ace paint scheme in this game - and I think you all can already guess who it is, it's none other than Yellow 13. His scheme is unique, much like Biela's way back at the beginning, in that you don't get it by shooting him down. Rather, his is your final reward for shooting down every other named Ace in the game and acquiring their liveries.

VKing posted:

E: Was this the mission where you got different voice clips if you down the Yellows in a particular order?

Yeah, it is.
This is the thing I was talking about about for the last mission regarding which of the actual Yellows was 13. The game can tell the difference between otherwise-identical planes when it wants to, and this is one case where it goes all-out with that. I'm not sure exactly how far it goes, since I've never been able to get further than taking out Jean-Louis before Gene, but I have heard that it goes pretty far.

Thanks again for doing the series, Crow. Doubt I'm going to be able to do much on the commentary front for 5 (my audio jacks are apparently all deciding that working is for suckers and chumps) even if there are still any openings, but there's still a few planes for me to talk about when they come around, among other things.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
We'll always have arguments about which was the best ace pilot, but once Crow shows off Operation Katina, there is no doubt good ole Mobius One is the frontrunner.

And now we can look forward to AC05, where we can complain about things not being subtle.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you, everyone again. So yeah we're not quite done yet with Ace Combat 04. Operation Katina is coming up next week, so look forward to me, CJacobs and ddinkins making GBS threads on Blurry, Puddle of Mudd, and Wes Scantlin for a solid hour next Saturday. Then after that, will be the Bonus Update, and possibly if I can track down Blind Sally maybe we'll see Muptiplayer Mode in action, but no promises.

Just remember, the deadline for your submissions for Viewers Choice Video are open until Jan 25th. So now that you've seen both Farbanti and Megalith, is there anything else you'd like to see me attempt in Ace Combat 04 before we shut this thing down for good?

gently caress you blurry is a great song

But seriously, congrats on adding another Ace Combat to the archives (well, soon-ish) Crow. You are a credit to LPs.

Anyway I figure I should offer my final thoughts on AC4, and it is this: it did a great job providing the building blocks for what made the games following it really good, but at times it has trouble standing on its own.

What I mean is that you can unquestionably thank this game for creating a solid set of core mechanics and mission concepts that the rest of the series is based on, I personally feel that everything in AC4-at least gameplay wise-has been done better in other Ace Combats after being refined and reworked to be more interesting. Like how Blockade-a mission in itself-is effectively just one part of a number of AC6's missions. Don't get me wrong, AC4 is still really good on its own, I'm just of the opinion that it has the inevitable problem of being improved upon in every way by the rest of the series.

Except for the soundtrack, which is awesome in this game and every Ace Combat since has made sure that it is awesome in their own unique ways.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Speaking of Crow's bonus video I have two suggestions, take one or both:

Take down Yellow Squadron in Farbanti with the A-10

or

For Megalith, take the fastest plane and never let up on the afterburner. Taking Yellow-belly Squadron is optional (and likely impossible).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you, everyone again. So yeah we're not quite done yet with Ace Combat 04. Operation Katina is coming up next week, so look forward to me, CJacobs and ddinkins making GBS threads on Blurry, Puddle of Mudd, and Wes Scantlin for a solid hour next Saturday. Then after that, will be the Bonus Update, and possibly if I can track down Blind Sally maybe we'll see Muptiplayer Mode in action, but no promises.

Kibayasu posted:

Crow ruined it by not hitting the afterburner for the entire mission and never letting go :colbert:

Let's speedrun.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
GOD drat. Every single time I hear Rex Tremendae/Megalith - Agnus Dei, I get the fuckin' goosebumps. This is the mission that solidifies AC04 as my favorite in the series. Young me just couldn't handle how BADASS the entire Megalith mission is, from the stark silence in the briefing, the speech in the aircraft selection, all the way through the final trench runs through the facility. Thanks for the LP and for bringing me on, Crow. Excellent work as always, bud.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like how the games are escalating.

Ace Combat 4: Arcade Planes with anime plotline
Ace Combat 5: Anime with Arcade Planes

I fully expect Ace Combat 6 to be ANIME MOTHERFUCKERS ALSO PLANES

I mean, it has the Idolmaster paint schemes. It better deliver with a loving ridiculous plotline and script.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shei-kun posted:

I mean, it has the Idolmaster paint schemes. It better deliver with a loving ridiculous plotline and script.

The plotline is actually fairly conventional, all in all.

The script is...amazing.

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016
Still, we are finally getting close to a game in Ace Combat I actually feel qualified to comment on. I never played 04 so this has been interesting from a "this is new" perspective. But I have actually played 5, so I can actually somewhat comment on it without looking ignorant.

Operation Katina admittedly will be interesting.

So my impression of 04: You can see the genesis of 5 and Zero, but its not quite there yet.

paragon1 posted:

The plotline is actually fairly conventional, all in all.

The script is...amazing.

One way to put it.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Do Stonehenge or Megalith ACES style: in an F-5, upside down, nap-of-the-earth.

More seriously, do any mission with the Wyvern's paint scheme #3 (EASA); I don't think I've ever seen anybody use it in a video before and I have looked, believe you me. Which is a shame because it's loving GORGEOUS.

Also gently caress everybody hatin' on Blurry. I put it on the jukebox while playing pool at the bar Saturday and I swear I very nearly became a fighter pilot by that very act.

Edit:

Dr. Snark posted:

and every Ace Combat since has made sure that it is awesome in their own unique ways.
Fun fact, there is a very neat game-by-game stylistic breakdown of the soundtracks and how the soundtracks' styles relate to the game(s)' theme(s) and settings on the Wikipedia article of the series.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 23, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shei-kun posted:

I expect Crow to fly the majority of missions in AC6 using those Idolmaster skins, or else he can __ _____ ____ ___ _____.

:v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NobleSixFour posted:

Do Stonehenge or Megalith CJacobs style: in an F-5, upside down, nap-of-the-earth.

Oi! That's my style!

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I fixed.

Edit because I just came up with a loving wild Cipher fan theory that involves The Bureau. Better than you think, I promise. I just can't be arsed to spoiler tag stuff on my phone so I'll come back and type it later.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 23, 2017

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've been looking forward to this one almost entirely because of Rex Tremendae.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Psion posted:

I expect Crow to fly the majority of missions in AC6 using those Idolmaster skins, or else he can __ _____ ____ ___ _____.

:v:

:(

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Well, I don't have any requests in particular for 04, but I will look forward to the long-awaited Ace Combat 5, which brought me to this series in the first place.

It strikes me now that I must have played this series for just over ten years now, very nearly fifteen, and I always thought myself very passionate about it. I can see now that I'm not the only one, and that it is nice to see a similar level of passion from people here that goes well beyond my own.

I'll look forward to more stories and explorations of the lore of Strangereal, and I hope everyone here enjoys seeing it as much as I do.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I have been waiting to post this video for *months*: Megalith, but soundtrack replaced with Zero's final mission(s) and briefing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XreS7lyVIA

Edit: Also, Assault Horizon campaign recordings should begin in a couple days. Is there anything in particular people want me to highlight?

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 25, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

NobleSixFour posted:

Edit: Also, Assault Horizon campaign recordings should begin in a couple days. Is there anything in particular people want me to highlight?

These 'helicopter barrel rolls' I have heard so much about intrigue me. I wouldn't mind if you showed that off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OddHaberdasher posted:

These 'helicopter barrel rolls' I have heard so much about intrigue me. I wouldn't mind if you showed that off.

It's a game mechanic to dodge missiles so you'll be seeing plenty of it :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's like the world's worst version of hangman or wheel of fortune: you know exactly what letters to guess, and that's the problem!

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.

Psion posted:

It's like the world's worst version of hangman or wheel of fortune: you know exactly what letters to guess, and that's the problem!

Well I don't. Care to clue me in?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyone who posts the correct answer to the puzzle will eat a complimentary 6 hour probation care of Fedule.

Don't believe me? Just try it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zerbin7 posted:

Well I don't. Care to clue me in?

Wait until the AC6 thread. Trust me, you will know. Whether you want to or not.

NobleSixFour posted:

Death Rider F-15C, though I imagine you were going to already

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 25, 2017

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Psion posted:

Wait until the AC6 thread. Trust me, you will know. Whether you want to or not.

6 had amazingly fun gameplay, but god drat those cutscenes were terrible. It was like both nations were populated by robots

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Since this project has started, I have been more excited for 6 than any other game in this series. The juxtaposition of awe at the cool-rear end giant missions and sheer horror at the between-mission cutscenes is going to be wonderful.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

NobleSixFour posted:

I have been waiting to post this video for *months*: Megalith, but soundtrack replaced with Zero's final mission(s) and briefing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XreS7lyVIA

there is this Japanese video of the final mission of the AC2 remake that uses a track from NIER for the final ZOE fight that I thought was cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHwfa8-99w :shobon:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

NobleSixFour posted:

Use the Idolmaster skins whenever possible so that we know you are taking this seriously. Thank you.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Psion posted:

Whether you want to or not.

You ain't lyin'

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

paragon1 posted:

Use the Idolmaster skins whenever possible so that we know you are taking this seriously. Thank you.

Does this mandate include the Pac-Man F-35? Because it really should.

And at risk of sounding overly maudlin and/or political, I'd just like to edit in a shout out to Crow and everyone else involved in this LP for being part of what feels like the only thing on the Internet I actually look forward to anymore since the 20th.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 26, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxB1ahoz_M

New Ace Combat 7 trailer is out.
Also confirmed that the game isn't PS4 exclusive and is coming for XB1.
And PC. :woop:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

But you already have Ace Combat for the PC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ZVbR4PiRA

(It's actually real good)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

:stare:

My PC is ready.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

But you already have Ace Combat for the PC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ZVbR4PiRA

(It's actually real good)

Not bad but for some reason I am reminded of some old mecha game I played years upon years ago that some Japanese guy was developing. The name escapes me but the engine feels like it's the same one or something.

radintorov posted:

:stare:

My PC is ready.

I'm hoping my can handle it. Otherwise I'm just going to have to hope I'll have income to let me upgrade it when the time comes.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Cooked Auto posted:

Before I go crazy over this news, how does the PC version of that other Ace Combat game perform on PC? Will it be a worthwhile port, or should I just buy a console anyhow? (My sister wants a PS4, and they're something like $250 right now, so...)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Before I go crazy over this news, how does the PC version of that other Ace Combat game perform on PC? Will it be a worthwhile port, or should I just buy a console anyhow? (My sister wants a PS4, and they're something like $250 right now, so...)

Aside from the menus being a bit clunky I didn't have that many noticeable performance issues with ACAH. And then I played most of it on probably a slightly under recommended spec machine before I upgraded.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
loving YES. When do preorders for the Xbox version open???

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm glad they locked down the :xbone: market.

Those extra twelve copies they sell will be a nice cherry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Holy gently caress PC version my lovely laptop is ready