Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Several prominent climatologists released a book today presenting a model that suggests that warming can be limited to 2 degrees by keeping to the emissions limits set in the Paris Agreement and by producing at least 50% of the world's energy from zero-emissions sources by 2060.

http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319469386#aboutBook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Thug Lessons posted:

Several prominent climatologists released a book today presenting a model that suggests that warming can be limited to 2 degrees by keeping to the emissions limits set in the Paris Agreement and by producing at least 50% of the world's energy from zero-emissions sources by 2060.

This poo poo is so brutal, like a lot of very recent scholarship, because it was written in a world where the number one actor was presumed to remain committed to at least playing the game (albeit stubbornly). An article my team just published - as well as dozens of others in this small field - makes reference to federal agencies' mandates to incorporate climate change into their planning efforts (one of the big things the Obama admin did through executive order). Now it almost feels like we just published an artifact for a time capsule, rather than an instrument for future debate and development.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

El Laucha posted:

And yet the government wont invest in firefighting planes, not even 1, because lol gently caress you.
Pretty sure firefighting planes have an extremely limited role and a bad cost/benefit ratio.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

Released on the same day Canada and the USA commit to the Keystone XL pipeline.

I can only imagine them screaming "gently caress" over and over because all that work just went right down the toilet. :v:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm carefully optimistic about the Trump administration releasing the pressure on nuclear to spite hippies and it resulting in the return of a glorious new clean power age for America.

I mean, it's not like he's really gonna "bring back coal".

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Fasdar posted:

This poo poo is so brutal, like a lot of very recent scholarship, because it was written in a world where the number one actor was presumed to remain committed to at least playing the game (albeit stubbornly). An article my team just published - as well as dozens of others in this small field - makes reference to federal agencies' mandates to incorporate climate change into their planning efforts (one of the big things the Obama admin did through executive order). Now it almost feels like we just published an artifact for a time capsule, rather than an instrument for future debate and development.

Yeah, that is really disheartening, but I wouldn't presume we now have to write off the US in the long term. It seems unlikely that Trump will be able to undermine Paris alone and he will eventually no longer be President.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah, that is really disheartening, but I wouldn't presume we now have to write off the US in the long term. It seems unlikely that Trump will be able to undermine Paris alone and he will eventually no longer be President.

Even if he only runs one term, the damage he will do is far more lasting. The subsequent administration doing their realistic hardest to run in the other direction isn't going to undo a generation of climate scientists being lost, four years of data that requires continuous and exhaustive analysis being stopped or sabotaged, redistribution of these public funds to other areas, foreign policy getting hosed and the world antagonized with economic wars, and the infrastructure switch in the wrong direction. Quoting from Alex Steffen's article, "it’s politically harder to force companies to abandon expensive investments than it is to prevent those systems from being built in the first place — the mere existence of a pipeline becomes an argument for continuing to use it."

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Even if he only runs one term, the damage he will do is far more lasting. The subsequent administration doing their realistic hardest to run in the other direction isn't going to undo a generation of climate scientists being lost, four years of data that requires continuous and exhaustive analysis being stopped or sabotaged, redistribution of these public funds to other areas, foreign policy getting hosed and the world antagonized with economic wars, and the infrastructure switch in the wrong direction. Quoting from Alex Steffen's article, "it’s politically harder to force companies to abandon expensive investments than it is to prevent those systems from being built in the first place — the mere existence of a pipeline becomes an argument for continuing to use it."

The comment on infrastructure really nails it: the changes made by congress over the next two years - or, if they keep the pace up, the next few months - could have lasting repercussions on for the overall technological and scientific momentum of the system. Chilling effects alone - where bureaucratic administrations become paranoid and reluctant to speak out - are likely to outlast even a truncated Trump administration. Given that one of the most pressing needs is for science producers to connect more directly with regular people, this is especially lovely, annoying, frustrating, and, of course, highly beneficial to the current conservative movement. The effects of these efforts will effectively retard our capacity to develop on a mutually shared empirical basis, something we're already loving terrible at, which means the talons of talk radio idiocy will sink ever deeper into our collective skulls.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Cingulate posted:

I'm carefully optimistic about the Trump administration releasing the pressure on nuclear to spite hippies and it resulting in the return of a glorious new clean power age for America.

I mean, it's not like he's really gonna "bring back coal".

It's spelled O-I-L

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/824099477791404032

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yeah, finally this lovely country's gonna die

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No your country will survive due to advantageous geographic location and money, you kill several other countries though.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zudgemud posted:

No your country will survive due to advantageous geographic location and money, you kill several other countries though.

We need to act preemptively to ensure any Florida climate refugees are funneled into states that are already as terrible and hosed up as Florida is

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

We need to act preemptively to ensure any Florida climate refugees are funneled into states that are already as terrible and hosed up as Florida is

Yeehaw Texas here we come!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Or we just let Bugs Bunny do his thing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Screw you, Miamites!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

This is even more serious than it looks.

One of the most important things the government does is collect and distribute data about the country. Trump is creating an environment where where his administration controls the public data that can be used to determine the state of the country: employment and economic data, housing data, environmental data etc. Undermining this can be catastrophic. For example, the Bush administration was found to have conducted "a systematic effort to manipulate climate change science and mislead policymakers and the public about the dangers of global warming." that set us back years. The Obama administration had put into place safeguards to protect the independence of researchers and scientists, but Trump has deliberately found a workaround.

It is not idle speculation that Trump might doctor or suppress government data he dislikes. In case you missed the story from earlier, scientists and programmers have been trying desperately to archive what they can of existing data before he can get at it. Here's an account of one particular hackathon where "roughly 60 hackers, scientists, archivists, and librarians... collectively loaded 3,692 NOAA web pages onto the Internet Archive, and found ways to download 17 particularly hard-to-crack data sets from the EPA, NOAA, and the Department of Energy." The organizers call Trump a “Red loving Alert”.

This communication crackdown also works to suppress dissent and outrage when an agency is a target to be unraveled. The EPA we knew would be a clear target. But I think it's telling how much the National Park Service has also been a target from the Trump administration recently. After the inauguration, Trump cracked down on NPS communications, and yesterday they deleted a number of tweets from one of the accounts. I infer it's not unlikely that Bannon/Kushner/Trump and company have plans to privatize and/or develop some national park lands.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zudgemud posted:

Haha, I love when people think America is going to be fine because we have "money", usually people that don't live here. All that money is in the hands of the rich and large multinationals, the average American has next to no ability to financially deal with an emergency climate related relocation or rebuilding.

We're going to tell the Americans affected by climate change what we tell anyone who's suffering: "go gently caress yourself, and bootstraps bitch"

Also Rime is correct that humans aren't worth saving, I'd much rather preserve the Amazon than your lovely kid.

call to action fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 25, 2017

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

call to action posted:

Also Rime is correct that humans aren't worth saving, I'd much rather preserve the Amazon than your lovely kid.

That's an extravagantly melodramatic false dichotomy.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

call to action posted:

Haha, I love when people think America is going to be fine because we have "money", usually people that don't live here. All that money is in the hands of the rich and large multinationals, the average American has next to no ability to financially deal with an emergency climate related relocation or rebuilding.

We're going to tell the Americans affected by climate change what we tell anyone who's suffering: "go gently caress yourself, and bootstraps bitch"

You will be fine because you are not Bangladesh, Yemen, Egypt or the Maldives, piss poor countries with lovely location, you will most likely not even suffer many climate refugees because you are surrounded by two large moats. Your population will largely be fine compared to the world average because you have such a huge country rich in natural resources, population, state organisation, infrastructure, military and money that you can much easier mitigate the environmental effects of climate change and long term disruptions to international stability and trade. Climate change will generally not be dramatic but a slow increase in shittyness for the worst affected areas, most of your ordinary citizens will have time to realize that their current position is untenable and that they need to relocate to other parts of the nation.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

You will be fine because you are not Bangladesh, Yemen, Egypt or the Maldives, piss poor countries with lovely location, you will most likely not even suffer many climate refugees because you are surrounded by two large moats.
That is totally untrue!

It'll only be one moat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://www.apnews.com/c1423276fb574b07953651a68a082db9/EPA-contract-freeze,-media-blackout-leave-states-confused

Alright, so two things are happening here.

First, "a temporary suspension of new business activities at the EPA, including issuing work assignments to contractors" means that they have basically halted all EPA activities. The administration has crippled the EPA.

Second, the gag order makes it illegal for them to talk to anyone about it.

Aside from the aforementioned planned shift to have the agency go through the White House for future communications, what does halting all EPA activities mean, at this moment?

The Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act now have no primary regulatory or enforcement body. Let that sink in for a minute.

The EPA, their primary regulatory and enforcement body, isn't taking any new business.

That means that for the time being, any violations will not be subject to primary scrutiny or enforcement. Secondary Organizations can't step up because the EPA still technically exists, so it can't automatically be bypassed thanks to procedural rules. As long as this order stands, State EPAs are the thin Green Line in terms of protecting the environment. But that's dependent on not only the strength of the EPA state by state, but each state's corresponding Environmental Regulations, as the State EPAs won't be able to enforce on Federal Statutes due to the EPA still technically existing.

It's really bad. Like really bad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone needs to start dumping toxic waste on rich republicans' lawns ASAP.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Two-thirds of Americans give priority to developing alternative energy over fossil fuels"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zudgemud posted:

You will be fine because you are not Bangladesh, Yemen, Egypt or the Maldives, piss poor countries with lovely location, you will most likely not even suffer many climate refugees because you are surrounded by two large moats. Your population will largely be fine compared to the world average because you have such a huge country rich in natural resources, population, state organisation, infrastructure, military and money that you can much easier mitigate the environmental effects of climate change and long term disruptions to international stability and trade. Climate change will generally not be dramatic but a slow increase in shittyness for the worst affected areas, most of your ordinary citizens will have time to realize that their current position is untenable and that they need to relocate to other parts of the nation.

Yeah this is all nice, except none of those resources will be used to do anything but secure the fortunes, lives, and property of the rich. I don't doubt things will be worse in Bangladesh, but let's not play the oppression olympics game, please. Most of our citizens simply do not have sufficient money to relocate TODAY, let alone after the worst of climate change starts to affect the economy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your facts are contrary to the Trump administrations vision. Off to prison!

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Pretty sure firefighting planes have an extremely limited role and a bad cost/benefit ratio.

Knowing your country's geography, and knowing that it burns every drat year in the same way and causes huge losses to both people and livestock, you'd think it would be worth it by now. Many national parks have burned badly, one of the trees that only grows in this region (Araucaria), is going extint from the climate change and the rest are burning down. It takes one tree around 1000 years to fully develop. Its the national tree! I'd think saving one of your country's simbol might be worth a plane or two.

From what I understand, the plane itself doesnt fight the fire directy, but rather give coverage/support for the firefighters on the ground who are digging firewalls and whatever else they do to stop the spread of the fire.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Here's a thing that's spreading that I didn't see in this thread.

http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/

Make it spread more, all of yous.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

Someone needs to start dumping toxic waste on rich republicans' lawns ASAP.

They'd be shot by cops and the cops wouldn't even be charged.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Here's a thing that's spreading that I didn't see in this thread.

http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/

Make it spread more, all of yous.

I will be at the one in my city

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Forever_Peace posted:

I will be at the one in my city
All my US psychology/linguistics/neuroscience/machine learning/data science friends are signed up for this thing.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Cingulate posted:

All my US psychology/linguistics/neuroscience/machine learning/data science friends are signed up for this thing.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/824374557893083146

As Bob Dylan once said:
"Play it loving loud"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what Jon Haidt, Lee Jussim and the rest of the Heterodox Academy team are thinking right now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Forever_Peace posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/824374557893083146

As Bob Dylan once said:
"Play it loving loud"

This should even out the liberal bias of scientists.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cross-post from USPol/Trump thread:

Al Gore is personally re-hosting the CDC climate change conference.

The AltNatPark Twitter account is also at 1.2 million followers and rapidly climbing.

We might be doomed, but attempts to muzzle how doomed we are haven't been going well.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Cross-post from USPol/Trump thread:

Al Gore is personally re-hosting the CDC climate change conference.

The AltNatPark Twitter account is also at 1.2 million followers and rapidly climbing.

We might be doomed, but attempts to muzzle how doomed we are haven't been going well.

The private facebook group of scientists for organizing the local scientists march in my city is now in the tens of thousands.

A colleague of mine referred me to this today for some evening advocacy: https://whitehouseinc.org

quote:

Foreign leaders and Wall Street executives know that if they want to reach out to our President, they can just connect with his business associates. Now the American people have a direct line to Trump too.

When you submit your phone number on the right, you’ll receive a call and be randomly connected to one of Trump’s properties. Don’t be fooled, they’ll ask you to make a reservation or a tee time, but remember, you’re talking to the White House, so use the opportunity to discuss important issues.

I'm sure these Trump representatives would love to hear how excited you are to share your thoughts about the nomination of Scott Pruitt to the EPA. (please be nice - the more excited you are, the better)

Finally, just want to say that there's a reason hilarious poo poo like this keeps leaking:

quote:

On the morning after Donald Trump’s inauguration, acting National Park Service director Michael T. Reynolds received an extraordinary summons: The new president wanted to talk to him.

In a Saturday phone call, Trump personally ordered Reynolds to produce additional photographs of the previous day’s crowds on the Mall, according to three individuals who have knowledge of the conversation. The president believed that the photos might prove that the media had lied in reporting that attendance had been no better than average.

Trump also expressed anger over a retweet sent from the agency’s account, in which side-by-side photographs showed far fewer people at his swearing-in than had shown up to see Barack Obama’s inauguration in 2009.

According to one account, Reynolds had been contacted by the White House and given a phone number to call. When he dialed it, he was told to hold for the president.

For Trump, who sees himself and his achievements in superlative terms, the inauguration’s crowd size has been a source of grievance that he appears unable to put behind him. It is a measure of his fixation on the issue that he would devote part of his first morning in office to it — and that he would take out his frustrations on an acting Park Service director.
“It’s a lie,” Trump said. “We caught [the media]. We caught them in a beauty.”

“It looked like a million, a million and a half people,” Trump said, vastly inflating what the available evidence suggested.
Reynolds was taken aback by Trump’s request, but he did secure some additional aerial photographs and forwarded them to the White House through normal channels in the Interior Department, the people who notified The Post said. The photos, however, did not prove Trump’s contention that the crowd size was upward of 1 million.

Reynolds, who had served as the Park Service’s deputy director of operations for six months before assuming the post of acting director, is a third-generation employee who has worked there for more than 30 years. As deputy director, he oversaw the Park Service’s $2.8 billion budget and more than 22,000 employees.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda surprised how muted government employees in climate change or environmental related agencies have been. At this point, working for the Trump administration should be seen as being a collaborationist.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be careful when attending those scientists march rallies. If you get arrested you could get put on a blacklist that would make it very hard to find employment in your field.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

qkkl posted:

I'd be careful when attending those scientists march rallies. If you get arrested you could get put on a blacklist that would make it very hard to find employment in your field.

It's probable that Trump is an actual authoritarian. If we don't march early and often, we got bigger problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

shrike82 posted:

Kinda surprised how muted government employees in climate change or environmental related agencies have been. At this point, working for the Trump administration should be seen as being a collaborationist.

qkkl posted:

Everyone is just trying to numbly move forward. Some are planning their exits, and some are simply hanging on in the notion that someone worse would be replacing them if they leave. Believe it or not, a lot of people doing government science do so out of a sense of patriotism and idealism, and their belief in the "system" is often much more intricate than most of the regular citizenry. The work I do will probably get kneecapped soon (DOI funds us), and while I may talk some jive here and there, I'm a quasi-institutional employee sheltered by a graduate school. For people in NASA, USGS, and the real science systems, public outreach and political advocacy are generally not strong points in the first place, and this situation is more likely to make them circle wagons.

Basically, if you want more angry government scientists, advocate for more government social scientists.

More to the point: government institutions belong to the people. By abandoning them, we abandon them to Trump. If something like inertia exists in the quality and nature of our government, it comes from the people working in the institutions of which it is made.

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 27, 2017