Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

I went for a mandrill look on the monkey instead of a boring old baboon. The woman with the cape was left half finished for years and years because of annoying primer, but I finally finished her. It was one of my first paintjobs, so it nice to see that I've improved.
Also, I finally admitted that I needed some deeper shadows on the fur capes, so I went back and added it to all my Blood Rage figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

No Luck Needed posted:

do you gloss and matte just metal figures or do you do that to plastic as well? I am in the priming/washing stages and have not bought finish yet. I was probably going to just go wit the Testor's Dullcote for my plastic orks and space marines but I do have maybe 5 old pewter models to paint, so I am just wondering what people consider good finishers to pieces.
I do it to anything I plan on using literally -at all-. If it's a display piece, something that will be looked at but never touched, I'll dullcote it once, maybe twice depending upon whether I'm using metallics or not (once with, twice without), and put it in the case. On the other hand, if I plan on bringing it outside of the apartment for any reason whatsoever, double gloss and matte goes on everything. I know my local gaming guys are pretty OK with knowing to ask before picking up models to look at, but I don't trust the rando slob with cheeto fingers one iota, and anything I can do to keep my stuff in good shape, the better.

quote:

edt. because the weather is still cold and rainy in Kansas, I primed 20 grots with Gessco and did a black wash on them. I have only painted the green bits on the grots so far and I enjoy the coloring. Anyone else have experience with brush on primers vs spray primer? Seems like a lot of people prime orks black and space marines gray. The Gessco goes on white and then I did a wash. I plan on using color specific washes as shade after dry brush painting them.
I'm in the hellscape that is upstate NY myself, and yeah, the weather's fickle on the best of days. Because of that, I've moved on from the rattlecan sprayers to Golden brand Black Gesso. poo poo comes out of the tub almost like tar, so it does need some small amount of thinning. I've done my entire WMH Retribution with it (30+ models easy), and I've used maaaaybe an ounce out of an 8 ounce tub. I mean yeah, I'll let it sit and cure fully for like, 5-7 days before actually painting stuff, but between work, EDH with family and friends, and watching my manstories WWE, I really only get to paint a couple of days a week at best so it all works out.

Biggest thing I can recommend with any brush-on primer is to have your figures, whatever material or company, cleaned well and rinsed with soapy water before touching them with any sort of anything. All it takes is some leftover mold release under your primer and paint to turn an awesome figure into a flaky mess.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Any opinions on testors water slide transfer printer sheets? I want to do custom decals on some of my x wing stuff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finally got around to painting the 30th anniversary Marine, and I did him up in the old Field Police colors:

This Inquisition weirdo has always been one of my favorites from back in the day, and I'm glad I finally got to paint him:

Finally, I've recently had the itch to paint some Black Templars. I don't know if it's the Gathering Storm stuff, the desire to paint a different scheme, or just because I hate the psychic phase so much, but I started working on some of these guys. I did up a few test models, namely a pair of Sword Brethren, an Initiate, and their Marshall, Siegward:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat, son.

Also you just triggered me into remembering how awful it is to do blacklining on white armor, heh.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

drat, son.

Also you just triggered me into remembering how awful it is to do blacklining on white armor, heh.

I'm doing the blacklining with a thin black wash, contemplating going full black for it though. Doing the freehand crosses on the Marshall's shoulderpad and knee had me sweating.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

SRM posted:

This Inquisition weirdo has always been one of my favorites from back in the day, and I'm glad I finally got to paint him:

With a hype man like that, an Inquisitor could never go wrong!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Greenstuff a guitar flamethrower into his hands. He's already doing a sick rocknroll power slide

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Never fun to have to follow SRM but here we go.

Horgle2 aka Horgle the Anvil. Picked him up as a pre-release and figured I should justify it by getting it painted before the general release.

Painting fire is a pain.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I'm doing the blacklining with a thin black wash, contemplating going full black for it though. Doing the freehand crosses on the Marshall's shoulderpad and knee had me sweating.

Reaper has these 'liner' paints that is basically really really watered down ink, thinner than a wash. They used to have a black one but they apparently don't make it anymore, but they do have blue and grey liners that might be a better fit than just a straight black wash or trying to finagle the right ratios yourself.

Of course, you could also do pin washing with black oil paints but that's a whole 'nother bag.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried Nuln Oil Gloss over gloss varnish for blacklining? I'm curious (and would also like to avoid giving GW money unless, y'know, they make a thing that turns out to be kinda good).

...dear crikey, that marble.... :swoon:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So my Table War "MacroMats" came today. I took a few pictures with them, they seem to work pretty well.

The greyish blue cloud mat:

The white to blue gradient mat:

I think they both look alright, the third mat, greyish brown red, pictures didnt come out too well. I will likely have to mess with my lighting more to figure it out.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Fyrbrand posted:

Horgle2 aka Horgle the Anvil. Picked him up as a pre-release and figured I should justify it by getting it painted before the general release.

Painting fire is a pain.

O wow that flame is so nice

And my macromats arrived today too. Now I just have to finish painting something to shoot in front of them

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fyrbrand posted:

Painting fire is a pain.
Well, you sure made it look awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Painting fire is a pain.

This guy is dope as gently caress, and the flame and OSL painting you did kick rear end.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath thread cross post:

I went for a mandrill look on the monkey instead of a boring old baboon. The woman with the cape was left half finished for years and years because of annoying primer, but I finally finished her. It was one of my first paintjobs, so it nice to see that I've improved.
Also, I finally admitted that I needed some deeper shadows on the fur capes, so I went back and added it to all my Blood Rage figures.

I really like that drummer dude. The furs are real nice and the guys posture and eyes reminds me of mike mignola comics. Digging the variety of bone on him too

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So my Table War "MacroMats" came today. I took a few pictures with them, they seem to work pretty well.

The greyish blue cloud mat:

The white to blue gradient mat:

I think they both look alright, the third mat, greyish brown red, pictures didnt come out too well. I will likely have to mess with my lighting more to figure it out.

How in the hell do they not make one that's a dark blue background with crisscrossed pink and blue lasers? A travesty, I say.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Lots of cool stuff.
These guys are all fuckin' awesome. I especially like that super dramatic inquisitor.

Fyrbrand posted:

Burning troll.
And this guy is great! That is some good fire.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...dear crikey, that marble.... :swoon:
Well thanks, but it's just thick paint swirled around and into eachother, then a drybrush :shobon:

Dr. Phildo posted:

I really like that drummer dude. The furs are real nice and the guys posture and eyes reminds me of mike mignola comics. Digging the variety of bone on him too
Thanks! It's actually two drummers dudes. I actually try to make the eyes Hellboy-ish, both because it's easier and because I like the demented look it brings.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

Hey guys I'm about to get my grubby mitts on a bunch of MDF terrain soon. If I'm airbrushing this stuff, should I seal it first? Get some cheap Matt varnish and just spray it thin when it's still in the frame?

I would prime it with something that is not water based. Too much moisture on one side and it will warp.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I received the kit yesterday - it's pre treated, so will take paint easily. Happy days!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm curious (and would also like to avoid giving GW money unless, y'know, they make a thing that turns out to be kinda good).

Army Painter's dark tone is a pretty good replacement if you don't want to give GW money.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting, just finished up Belisarius Cawl, thank the Omnissiah, this model is insane:

I need to paint something simple next just to un-frazzle my brain. :negative:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That looks amazing! There are a lot of crazy details on that thing.
How did you do the metal plates on his back?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

Well thanks, but it's just thick paint swirled around and into eachother, then a drybrush :shobon:

It still looks really nice, though. Don't sell yourself short!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Electric Hobo posted:

That looks amazing! There are a lot of crazy details on that thing.
How did you do the metal plates on his back?

Thanks! They're just leadbelcher, shaded with agrax earthshade then a drybrush of stormhost silver.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

darnon posted:

Army Painter's dark tone is a pretty good replacement if you don't want to give GW money.

Oh yeah, I use Army Painter washes all the time. They've got a nice range of colors, and they're in dropper bottles and not those stupid GW pots. I was just looking for something a little more pin-wash-friendly, hopefully with a minimum of mucking about trying to figure out mix ratios (the less said about my attempts to make oil washes, the better).

Hobospider
Oct 17, 2002

Hey- mini painting crew: I am looking to paint some armor for a cloud giant that has this bluish platinum look. Can anyone give a suggestion on where to start?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Some stuff I've painted over the last few months. I started watching Sorastro's and finally learned what it was to actually thin your paints. Can't believe I was doing it wrong all this time. Also my first time doing OSL.

Kingdom Death Dragon King Armor survivor. Went for the super desaturated look "pro-painted" style. Surprisingly not at all muddy looking from a distance, despite my initial reservations.

Prepainted Lamia Harridan after having some quite literal plastic surgery performed.

Reaper Miniatures Infernal Binder

Frostgrave Wraith Knights

And some group shots - I somehow managed to paint everything with a very similar colour scheme despite not actually intending to do so. :smith:

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Kingdom Death Dragon King Armor survivor. Went for the super desaturated look "pro-painted" style. Surprisingly not at all muddy looking from a distance, despite my initial reservations.

I burn with envy over those smooth blends on the shield - that's some truly excellent work. I'm going to try something similar tonight, although not before watching Sorastro's videos as you suggest.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Inquisitor Katarinya Greyfax:

You inspired me to get this box set. I look forward to loving up some cool models.

EDIT: And some content. Painted this Warmachine dude as my summoner's eidolon in Pathfinder.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a thing i've been working on for the last week. I still have to clean some things up (on the glove, especially) and base her but otherwise, she's pretty close to done!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Youngest offspring is approaching 2 years so hobby time is coming back. Bought me a couple of dad style reading glasses so I can actually see my tiny mans. Found some laid-back hams playing 1000 points 2nd ed 40K. So here goes, back into this weird hobby.

First project is arco-flagellants. I always wanted to do them, and 2nd ed has some good count as rules in Electro-priests. High strength, fragile and frenzy. Building them from ghouls like everybody else, currently doing the heads:

I forgot the whole emotional rollercoster thing of thinking something looks awesome in the everning after finishing, and then discovering it's actually a lumpy mess the next morning or when taking photos. Going to push through and finish these as good enough, need to recalibrate my expactations a little closer to my actual skill level.

Also cellphone cameras really improved in the last two years!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Irate Tree posted:

Here's a thing i've been working on for the last week. I still have to clean some things up (on the glove, especially) and base her but otherwise, she's pretty close to done!

What line is this?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Good lord, there are so many amazing models on this page I'm embarrassed to even share mine.

Finished up my Sicarian Infiltrators last night. At least, I thought I did before taking these pics and uploading them. I see a couple spots that I need to finish. Anyway, here they are:

The Alpha:

The rest of the squad:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Eat the Rich posted:

Good lord, there are so many amazing models on this page I'm embarrassed to even share mine.

Finished up my Sicarian Infiltrators last night. At least, I thought I did before taking these pics and uploading them. I see a couple spots that I need to finish. Anyway, here they are:

The Alpha:

The rest of the squad:

Looking good. I think you could use a bit of dry brushing highlight on the ground for a bit more popping?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Please excuse me while I spam this thread with pictures of military scale aricraft. (1:48 scale)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

Please excuse me while I spam this thread with pictures of military scale aricraft. (1:48 scale)
I always love seeing your planes. You do drat fine work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Floppychop posted:

I pretty much just use a W&N size 1, a small citadel drybrush, and a standard citadel brush.

For detail work you don't really need a small brush, just one that keeps a good point.

I bought an army painter drybrush because none of my art store stuff had bristles as firm as I wanted, seems fine.

I've got a bunch of poo poo multipack brushes, then my nicer ones are 1, 0, and 5/0.

If I were gonna minimize I'd suggest a 3 for broader areas and washes, a drybrush, and a really nice 1 that you take care of to keep a fine point.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

big_g posted:

Needs more dakka, but very pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

That Su-27 is gorgeous!