Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

Just cancelled Comcast after finally getting Google Fiber. :feelsgood:

Also holy poo poo is the internet fast.

I bet it felt good. I'm canceling my DirectTV the day after Super Bowl. Looking forward to cutting the cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

evilweasel posted:

that doesn't sound very much like the afc south to me

We're kicking your rear end first

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Suppressing fun things and nonsensical rules is the most football thing.

It was good meta commentary

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I bet it felt good. I'm canceling my DirectTV the day after Super Bowl. Looking forward to cutting the cord.

Yeah, getting a 60+ mile digital HD antenna has been great. I miss out on MNF and TNF but do I really miss anything

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, getting a 60+ mile digital HD antenna has been great. I miss out on MNF and TNF but do I really miss anything

Which did you get? I got the 30 mile Mohu Leaf and have been pleasantly surprised with the quality and amount of channels I get but I was expecting a bit more. I wish I would have ponied up the extra money for the 30 more miles.

That said, between that, Amazon Fire TV with Kodi/Exodus, Netflix and the internet streams for literally everything...I don't regret not having that crazy TV bill every month.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Is there a good leaf antenna with a range over 30 miles? I'm at 34 from the TV towers here and the signal flakes out when conditions aren't perfect.

Trying to stay indoors because an outdoor antenna is, like, :effort:

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Korranus posted:

Is there a good leaf antenna with a range over 30 miles? I'm at 34 from the TV towers here and the signal flakes out when conditions aren't perfect.

Same

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Honestly the Amazon Basics powered antenna is probably the most you'd need. get the 50mi version and boom, all done

e. or this: https://www.amazon.com/Wsky-1080P-Digital-HDTV-Antenna/dp/B01M3VQ5N3/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1485362414&sr=8-11&keywords=tv+antenna

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Korranus posted:

Like I said, I've had a lot of success with the 30 mile antenna, so the 50 should be even better. I really have liked the Mohu, the quality is amazing and supposedly it is already set for 4K whenever that starts getting pushed.

https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversible-Performance-MH-110599/dp/B00HSMK59E

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Doltos posted:

The much better explanation is MorningView is a total moron that was given the moderator keys by a creepy stalker and disagreed with all our fun stuff because he's a total moron
:agreed: times a million

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had unimpressive reception out of the indoor antennas I tried, but of course, that's severely dependent on where you live.

So I just bought a pole and stuck an outdoor one to the side of my house and that solved that problem.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

weird Asian candy posted:

Which did you get? I got the 30 mile Mohu Leaf and have been pleasantly surprised with the quality and amount of channels I get but I was expecting a bit more. I wish I would have ponied up the extra money for the 30 more miles.

That said, between that, Amazon Fire TV with Kodi/Exodus, Netflix and the internet streams for literally everything...I don't regret not having that crazy TV bill every month.

I misspoke, I got the 50 mile one. I live downtown in one of the biggest cities in the country and even with the 50 mile version if I don't have the antenna upright I'll lose channels.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Here's an ugly-yet-functional outdoor model: http://amzn.com/B00ZI9LWS2/

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

I misspoke, I got the 50 mile one. I live downtown in one of the biggest cities in the country and even with the 50 mile version if I don't have the antenna upright I'll lose channels.

Maybe it's all the interference from the buildings? I dunno. I only notice losing channels when the weather sucks but I have noticed that the leaf works best upright and high. Of course, the Mexican Channels always come through loud and clear...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That may in fact be the one I am using currently.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Spanish music is beautiful.

What a sound. Passion.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

Like I said, I've had a lot of success with the 30 mile antenna, so the 50 should be even better. I really have liked the Mohu, the quality is amazing and supposedly it is already set for 4K whenever that starts getting pushed.

https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversible-Performance-MH-110599/dp/B00HSMK59E

Might be a winner. I have the Amazon Basics 30 mile now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Man and his dog posted:

Spanish music is beautiful.

What a sound. Passion.

Dalé

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The only channel I really watch is turner classics, is there a way yet to just get that for a few bucks a month?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I think sling carries it with a basic add-on which is $25

fake e: here are the options https://www.sling.com/service

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 25, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been on an HD antenna for a few years now. Aside from the occasional hiccup, it works great for watching live stuff. There's also a bunch of other crazy channels that I get, in which I have no idea what's on them. They're usually showing reruns of 80s TV shows I've never heard of.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If you do get an NFL broadcast in spanish, the announcers are generally better than their English-speaking counterparts. I enjoy them more, anyway v:shobon:v

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

seiferguy posted:

I've been on an HD antenna for a few years now. Aside from the occasional hiccup, it works great for watching live stuff. There's also a bunch of other crazy channels that I get, in which I have no idea what's on them. They're usually showing reruns of 80s TV shows I've never heard of.

It's pretty great the amount of subchannels there are now. 3 classic TV channels, a Scifi Knockoff, a BET Knockoff, Country Music Videos, 80s videos of songs nobody has heard, GRIT: TV FOR MEN, a comedy channel that runs 90s-early 2000s sitcoms, some channel that runs like 20 hours of unsolved mysteries.

That's just the selection in central illinois. I'm sure actual cities have a decent amount they get pull from antenna.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

one thing I've learned recently is that the German announcers for the Patriots are way better then the english ones and I'd definitely watch a game listening to them over Phil Simms.

UN FLEA FLICKER

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, they're not the semi-soulless husks of been that are our current crop

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Athanatos posted:

It's pretty great the amount of subchannels there are now. 3 classic TV channels, a Scifi Knockoff, a BET Knockoff, Country Music Videos, 80s videos of songs nobody has heard, GRIT: TV FOR MEN, a comedy channel that runs 90s-early 2000s sitcoms, some channel that runs like 20 hours of unsolved mysteries.

That's just the selection in central illinois. I'm sure actual cities have a decent amount they get pull from antenna.

Yeah, I probably get around 30 channels, and have never taken the time to browse through them to see if any are good. I should really give it a shot, though. I'm just more likely to watch something over a streaming service instead.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

one thing I've learned recently is that the German announcers for the Patriots are way better then the english ones and I'd definitely watch a game listening to them over Phil Simms.

UN FLEA FLICKER

Yeah, the bits I've heard are hilarious even without understanding German really.

EIN MONSTERBLOCK! HALLO, MIAMI! :woop:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nothing will ever outdo the fantasy commentary from that London game.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

Nothing will ever outdo the fantasy commentary from that London game.

I'm not familiar with that game. When you said fantasy you don't mean like a wizard and elf provided color commentary?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bad Moon posted:

I'm not familiar with that game. When you said fantasy you don't mean like a wizard and elf provided color commentary?

I think that was were they just got some random dudes to commentate and they gave the game the respect it deserves.

Doltos posted:

It doesn't segregate anyone. Segregation is when you force separation. People choose to post in divisional and fun threads because that's what they want to do.

The much better explanation is MorningView is a total moron that was given the moderator keys by a creepy stalker and disagreed with all our fun stuff because he's a total moron

Man your obsession with MV over some perceived slight is creepy as gently caress.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that was were they just got some random dudes to commentate and they gave the game the respect it deserves.

Not quite random; they were fans at the respective teams. Which was great, particularly when they were just making GBS threads on their bad players.

EDIT: It was the Yahoo 2015 Week 7 Bills-Jaguars game that took place in London.

EDIT2: GDT if you have archives - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748398

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 25, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

They had a play by play guy, and two guys who were random bloggers for the team.

The poor play by play guy was trying the best he could, and probably had convinced himself this could be his big break.

The two bloggers were basically a couple of black guys making GBS threads all over both teams for the most of the game. They started off trying to be serious, but they got worse and worse as the game went on. The three second delay button was used multiple times as they'd get caught asking "what the gently caress was that?"

at the very end, the jags needed a big play and didn't even have julius thomas on the field. "What the fu-, why isn't your big free agent tight end on the field in this situation?"

Finally one of them just said, "Bortles gonna bort."

They will never allow that to happen again.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That sounds amazing

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

I wish I could have seen that live.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I'm hoping ESPN's broadcast during the college football playoff championship becomes a more regular thing. It would be good to have more commentary that's a little less serious about itself.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anals of History posted:

I'm hoping ESPN's broadcast during the college football playoff championship becomes a more regular thing. It would be good to have more commentary that's a little less serious about itself.

I'm waiting for there to be 2 commentary tracks that you can change live if you want. So for people who want to feel smart and only know who stars are can listen to collinsworth's warbling about "now here's a guy that... is a football player"

but there's another level that talks about the corner using inside technique expecting safety help over the top, but the slot corner blew his assignment and that's why the safety wasn't there.

We get a bit of proper analysis but way too much basic bloviating about nothing.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man your obsession with MV over some perceived slight is creepy as gently caress.

Or maybe MV was a lovely mod that killed division threads for dumb and/or imaginary reasons and made sure everyone posted in one huge gently caress off thread so when your average poster logged in to check out TFF they were treated with having to wade through 30 loving pages a day to find any discussion about their team and they got sick of it and stopped logging in and now we have a dead gay forum...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Black Sunshine posted:

Or maybe MV was a lovely mod that killed division threads for dumb and/or imaginary reasons and made sure everyone posted in one huge gently caress off thread so when your average poster logged in to check out TFF they were treated with having to wade through 30 loving pages a day to find any discussion about their team and they got sick of it and stopped logging in and now we have a dead gay forum...

But it was on topic!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

some division threads were good, some were really bad

like the nfc:s thread was total loving trash because it was just saints fans gloating and no one wanted to sift through pages of them bragging about how the panthers were forced to draft jimmy clausen to slow down new orleans' offense

the afc north thread was a charnel house

the afc east thread 3 midgets calling a tall person fat.

like, wtf is the obsession with those threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Sorry about your lovely division/posters I guess. AFC West thread was loving amazing.

• Locked thread