Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Unskippable cutscenes, especially on a second playthrough. If I have to keep a book on hand to read while "playing" your game, you've done something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gitro posted:

Boss fight in Arkham.

It's weird how the only good predator boss they've managed is Freeze in City.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pit People

Goblinbling is good but i'd really like to hear the other tracks in this game. seriously, every other song that plays seems to be goblinbling

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

2house2fly posted:

What's to re-learn? Attack button, dodge button, dodge whenever you're not attacking.

Igni, Quen, oils and potions?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

tight aspirations posted:

Igni, Quen, oils and potions?

Horses, fortresses, magic, and swords!

You hob-bit my whole poo poo, you uninspired hack. You want a war, George? Welcome to Shi-raq.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Schubalts posted:

MGS5 has less cutscenes than other MGS games, especially 4.

Yeah, because they stuck hours and hours of expositionary dialogue what would have been in the cutscenes of a normal MGS game in recorded conversations that you can listen to at your leisure while taking on the game's many side missions and challenges. It works pretty well with the open world IMO

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

you may die posted:

Yeah, because they stuck hours and hours of expositionary dialogue what would have been in the cutscenes of a normal MGS game in recorded conversations that you can listen to at your leisure while taking on the game's many side missions and challenges. It works pretty well with the open world IMO

Odds are you'll never actually listen to any of it though. Then you get to the "end" of the game and realize that you have to binge through all the tapes that are marked yellow in order to see the real ending. For added fun, seeing the real ending first requires you to play through the agonizing beginning of the game that everyone hates.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sunswipe posted:

Unskippable cutscenes, especially on a second playthrough. If I have to keep a book on hand to read while "playing" your game, you've done something wrong.

Usually if you can't skip cutscenes there's a reason. Often it's because the game engine needs to load a lot of stuff and bugs can happen if that doesn't happen.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hate it when a game forces me to pay attention to the plot. I also hate it when it doesn't

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Odds are you'll never actually listen to any of it though. Then you get to the "end" of the game and realize that you have to binge through all the tapes that are marked yellow in order to see the real ending. For added fun, seeing the real ending first requires you to play through the agonizing beginning of the game that everyone hates.

I've never played a Metal Gear game before. Everytime someone posts about the gameplay in MGSV in this threads twin I really want to play it. But then somebody in this thread posts something about the story and I just can't be bothered.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

jojoinnit posted:

I've never played a Metal Gear game before. Everytime someone posts about the gameplay in MGSV in this threads twin I really want to play it. But then somebody in this thread posts something about the story and I just can't be bothered.

It's really good and I just finished replaying it not long ago, don't let a few negatives scare you away from it. The true ending thing is dumb though and you're really better off just looking it up on Youtube if you decide to play it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't know a lot about the story but it worries me because I played Ground Zeroes a long time ago and the most I remember from that is 'rape-bombs'.
I got into the earlier games much more recently and most of what I like about them is the nonsensical crazy stuff like Psycho Mantis, Revolver Ocelot. President of the United States George Sears (Solidus Snake).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't know a lot about the story but it worries me because I played Ground Zeroes a long time ago and the most I remember from that is 'rape-bombs'.
I got into the earlier games much more recently and most of what I like about them is the nonsensical crazy stuff like Psycho Mantis, Revolver Ocelot. President of the United States George Sears (Solidus Snake).

Also a hypnotically suggested arm ghost.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's way less grim than Ground Zeroes, but less wacky than the other games. That said, your available weapons will eventually include the ability to kidnap people through a wormhole and a portable lightning storm that can knock everyone within 50 feet of you unconscious.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

2house2fly posted:

It's way less grim than Ground Zeroes,

That's really good to hear. I've heard MGSV is really good, and I do want to play it.

The thing dragging MGS4 down is that it's a PS3 exclusive! :argh:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jojoinnit posted:

This is the only time I'd advocate not caring about the story at all in a Metal Gear game. It's a perfectly fine stealth game with a ton of weapons and equipment that are both extremely helpful and funny as hell. you can play the game as sneaky as you want or just cut loose and go all out with your guns.

oh and you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fu6Ot9IJKI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Usually if you can't skip cutscenes there's a reason. Often it's because the game engine needs to load a lot of stuff and bugs can happen if that doesn't happen.

I honestly prefer a loading screen to an unskippable cutscene. Even the "Adam on a train" loading bits in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided annoy me more than the loading screens.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I honestly prefer a loading screen to an unskippable cutscene. Even the "Adam on a train" loading bits in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided annoy me more than the loading screens.

The train bits were good just for when you get in a naturals-only car and the whole loading screen was just a bunch of non-augs staring at you like :chloe:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoyed that there was a different loading screen when the trains aren't moving because it's after curfew. jensen just has to walk down an eerily empty tunnel. Nice detail for something that only comes up once in the game.

jojoinnit posted:

Metal gear 5 is so different after the very beginning that it's amazing it's even part of the metal gear series, especially following up on 4. Like dishonored 2, it's one of the only games that offers both stealth and action as viable choices but implements both equally well. Usually in these kinds of games, things either fall apart very quickly the moment bullets start to fly, or the stealth feels incomplete (typically the former). In metal gear 5 you can be playing a fantastic stealth game, have an alarm go off, and then suddenly you're playing a fantastic shooter.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Overwatch is great and a lot of fun except for one thing:

They're behind us guys. Just turn around. No, around. Look there's just one and he's killed two of us just shoot him before he kills me the medic, no, jesus gently caress look behind you.

I swear to God nobody has peripheral vision when they play this game.

I play Mercy a lot with friends who are often in the same physical room as me. "Hey guys, a Genji is attacking me. Please turn around, a Genji is attacking me. I'm dead, a Genji is about to kill you." Happens so much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Professor Wayne posted:

I play Mercy a lot with friends who are often in the same physical room as me. "Hey guys, a Genji is attacking me. Please turn around, a Genji is attacking me. I'm dead, a Genji is about to kill you." Happens so much.

It's the same poo poo you'll get in TF2. "Hey guys a spy just killed this guy in front of me, spycheck plz" "Guys a spy just killed me, spycheck you noobs!" Or people complaining endlessly about snipers but never shooting the sniper themselves and instead just running past the same doorway and dying forever.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Max Payne 3 is ruined on replays because of this. Even if you have an SSD and the level has loaded in 5 seconds you have to sit through the whole cutscene. This is made exponentially worse by cutscenes turning up every 2-3 minutes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I didn't mind having to listen to the tapes since unlike other MGSs you can just play them in the background.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Or you could just, er, listen to it like he said. The tapes are good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The tapes sold me on David Hayter getting the boot. Kiefer Sutherland grumbling about The Muslims, The Commies really sold how sick of this poo poo the character was. Can't imagine Hayter's oh-god-need-a-cough-drop performance would have been half as convincing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Convex posted:

Max Payne 3 is ruined on replays because of this. Even if you have an SSD and the level has loaded in 5 seconds you have to sit through the whole cutscene. This is made exponentially worse by cutscenes turning up every 2-3 minutes.

someone posted here before about how they compiled the game so that weapons and outfits were baked into their respective levels. you can't mod New Jersey max into the Sao Paolo levels.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

The tapes sold me on David Hayter getting the boot. Kiefer Sutherland grumbling about The Muslims, The Commies really sold how sick of this poo poo the character was. Can't imagine Hayter's oh-god-need-a-cough-drop performance would have been half as convincing.

I like Keifer's performance. I miss Snake's verbosity but I can see it as a guy who's been through too much poo poo to wanna talk to anyone in depth.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Or you could just, er, listen to it like he said. The tapes are good.

On the other hand if you don't listen to the tapes it's probably because you don't really care about the story so you won't care about getting the true ending

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

jojoinnit posted:

Find a way to play mgs1 then play mgs2 then play mgs3 then play peacewalker, then stop playing mgs games forever because it's all downhill from there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

poptart_fairy posted:

Still really wish Hayter had voiced Ishmael.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've seen that expressed a lot and I think it would have been neat. But we wouldn't have gotten Hayter's temper tantrums out of it, so who knows.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Find a way to play mgs1 then play mgs2 then play mgs3 then play peacewalker, then stop playing mgs games forever because it's all downhill from there.

This implies that Peace Walker is better than 3, and a good game

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Inco posted:

This implies that Peace Walker is better than 3, and a good game

peacewalker has better gadgets and ending than 5,5 has better stealth and graphics but no proper ending and the story is garbo.

3 is a classic for sure though.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Peace Walker's mission system savages the game's flow. The farming for materials was getting pretty bad when I stopped playing, and apparently it just got worse after that.

5 got pretty annoying with farming, but it took a lot longer to start getting in the way compared to PW. Mother Base was also a lot more laissez faire and I didn't have to do a bunch of menu crawling in between missions.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
MGS4 has bad install times but is a good game. Chapter 4 is amazing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MGSV still just makes me so, so sad that they didn't have PW co-op as an option for the missions or free roaming. The system is still right there for it too, since you can already play your DD soldiers instead of BB any time you want.

I just wanna tranq pubbies, load them in the passenger of my jeep, take them on a nice safari and then run them into a watery grave. :smith:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

All MGS games are good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

MGS4 has bad install times but is a good game. Chapter 4 is amazing

They patched it so you can install the whole thing in one go now.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All MGS games are good.

Both of these are very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Terminally Bored posted:

Both of these are very true.

yep