Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know anything about this upcoming draft besides apparently Marshall Faulk is the #1 prospect? (he's 5'10?? Uhhhhhh)

If the Celtics get the #1 pick, who do they pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Wolves bought a D-league team: http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-buy-d-league-team-in-des-moines/411556695/

How many NBA teams are left without one at this point? Were the Wolves the last one left or are there still a couple more?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

I don't know anything about this upcoming draft besides apparently Marshall Faulk is the #1 prospect? (he's 5'10?? Uhhhhhh)

Yeah it's Marshall Faulk. He's a gazelle on the court.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

The Wolves bought a D-league team: http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-buy-d-league-team-in-des-moines/411556695/

How many NBA teams are left without one at this point? Were the Wolves the last one left or are there still a couple more?

Pels still don't have one. There is a handful more left.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Tae posted:

lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Tae-bot is malfunctioning again

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I consulted with Phd EvanTH and maybe Doltos can back me up, but Harry Giles has seemingly had 10 knee surgeries because he has very bad biomechanics. Not quite Rose level, because he's not as explosive, so there isn't explosively horrible search for stability.

If you watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJ2EUqk5b0 Let me put this in as plain language as I can conjure up, you see him landing on jumps with no slack as squishy stuff and his tendons/ligaments are taking all the weird directional stresses rather than his whole body's set of muscles and movers hop pop and tip tappping the force away. He's going to need to relearn how to jump and land if he wants a decent non injury-plagued NBA career, if he can recover from his current problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLOLTQGhvE

If you watch Duke video, it seems like he remembers what to do when he's jumping from two feet and landing in a staight line
But if any sort of angle is involved he falls into old patterns and lands like a flamingo with one stiff leg

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 25, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Libertine posted:

Just looked at a draft board for the first time in a long time. The Celtics really have the Nets lottery pick unprotected this year? Holy gently caress. That's basically guaranteed to be the 25% probability roll at this point.

Kings are fading and Philly gets to swap their pick. All the benefits of being a bad team but all the excitement of making an 8th seed playoff push. Celtics/Philly drafting #1/#2 will be a story retold for ages

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

The 5'10" 43 year old Marshall Faulk is the Celtics missing piece.

I want to frame this post.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, it's Markelle Fultz. That explains it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The most perfect version of the Tae misspelling names meme

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

They bought the Iowa Energy? Does this mean MV will become a TWolves fan?

I am surprised they didn't put something together around the cities. I'd actually guess a D-League NBA team would pick up a little bit of steam, Minnesotan's love their ironic sports.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings are fading and Philly gets to swap their pick. All the benefits of being a bad team but all the excitement of making an 8th seed playoff push. Celtics/Philly drafting #1/#2 will be a story retold for ages

Sixers getting a top 3 from the Kings swap and 4 from the Lakers while pushing for the 8 seed (they won't get it) is basically FULL vindication of The Process

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I'm neutral on the jersey ads, but the GE logo on the Celtics unis is a but too much.

https://twitter.com/KyleClauss/status/824290503369912323

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Thibs noticed there were guys on the end of the T-Wolves bench that weren't playing 38 minutes a night and at that moment decided he needed to have the owner buy a D-League team to fix that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tae posted:

lmao

Someone tell me about Embiid's biomechanics

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm neutral on the jersey ads, but the GE logo on the Celtics unis is a but too much.

You think that's too much? Have you seen WNBA jerseys?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lmao

I am completely untrained and have 0 expertise, but Embiid goes to the floor wayyy to often and I don't think he knows how to fall right.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I can't wait to see what ads end up on some of the low-rent shittier teams' jerseys

I'm guessing the Suns will get a big Carl's Jr. patch or something

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I can't wait to see what ads end up on some of the low-rent shittier teams' jerseys

King's got Blue Diamond Almonds. I expected worse.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Does it turn into a Hardees patch on east coast road trips?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Carl's Jr.: We're Tanking. gently caress You.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lmao

Embiid mostly plays a really smooth below the rim game, uses his agility and footwork to get easy short jumpers. His gait is really good, and when he's jumping off two feet he lands well. He looks like someone who's been trained for 3? years about this and has learned his lessons. When he goes up for a huge block he sometimes lands awkwardly, that can be hard to avoid. He also sometimes lands the proper way on the midfoot and turns to go but his foot is so big that it looks like it might pop his ankle off.

I think as long as he dosn't chase huge blocks and dunks he's going to be fine, his game is now suited to his body, if he does have brittle bones, and even if not, it's just a very safe pattern of movement

edit: Lockback I haven't watched him fall enough to say, he's so big that it could be an issue , I don't know how often he falls per game.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 25, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

I am completely untrained and have 0 expertise, but Embiid goes to the floor wayyy to often and I don't think he knows how to fall right.

Anthony Davis syndrome, I see.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This doesn't bug me in the least, I actually think its pretty a-ok. Make that money, give it to the players (lol)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Sixers getting a top 3 from the Kings swap and 4 from the Lakers while pushing for the 8 seed (they won't get it) is basically FULL vindication of The Process

#1 from kings swap this year
#1 from lakers unprotected next year
#1 from kings unprotected in 2019

Team would be 4 #1 picks under 23 and under and Joel embiid.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The jersey ad is ugly and pointless and nobody should accept its presence!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I watched a celtics game with the logo
now have an insatiable need for GE Durable Goods

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Empty quote this for ages.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

*shoves a fistfull of peanuts into mouth*

Almonds, huh?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I prefer cashews. :colbert:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In a world where the league doesn't trip over itself to limit how much their players make every single way they can possibly do it, I'd have no problem with Jersey ads. But since the NBA is a league that coddles billionaire owner and dramatically limits the earning capacity of all players through both maximum contract limits and a salary cap then Jersey ads can right go gently caress themselves.

pubic works project posted:

I prefer cashews. :colbert:

They all cower before the mighty pistachio.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

euphronius posted:

Can the Sixers just get that Lakers pick this year? Please? I'm tired of waiting.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

xbilkis posted:

well: theres an obvious point given that it probably makes somebody (dickhead billionaires but maybe someday sportsball millionaires???) tonnes of dollaroos

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

euphronius posted:

Who did the 76ers trade again for these picks?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

In a world where the league doesn't trip over itself to limit how much their players make every single way they can possibly do it, I'd have no problem with Jersey ads. But since the NBA is a league that coddles billionaire owner and dramatically limits the earning capacity of all players through both maximum contract limits and a salary cap then Jersey ads can right go gently caress themselves.

They all cower before the mighty pistachio.

FYI, half the revenue from the ads goes to the players as part of BRI, so this isn't really a owners vs players thing. They are on the same side about this.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Smoked almonds are delicious. Wasabi almonds are delicious. Blue Diamond is a good choice

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lakers pick was the MCW trade I believe. That came from the Suns, who got it from the Steve Nash trade. Obviously the Lakers didn't ever expect it to get to this point because Nash and Dwight were supposed to join Kobe to make another big three.

Both Kings picks I believe came from the same trade where the Sixers didn't even give up players, just second round picks and taking on some contracts so the Kings had the cap room to sign Rajon Rondo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Who did the 76ers trade again for these picks?

"Late last night, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports broke the news that the Sixers and Kings had made a trade where the Kings would trade Nik Stauskas, Carl Landry, and Jason Thompson to the Sixers.

The Sixers will also acquire a future protected 1st round pick from Sacramento, as well as the right to swap 1st round picks with the Kings in 2016 and 2017, according to a league source.

The protected 1st round pick the Sixers will acquire from the Kings cannot be conveyed until 2018 at the earliest, as the Kings currently owe Chicago a 1st round pick. The pick Sacramento owes to Chicago is top-10 protected in 2016. If the pick is not conveyed in 2016 then it becomes top-10 protected again in 2017. If the pick is still not conveyed in 2017 then the pick turns into Sacramento’s 2017 2nd round pick."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No it wasn't to sign Rajon Rondo. It was to offer Wesley Matthews a max contract even though we had no idea if he'd even sign with us. Rondo was just that last resort acquaintance you kind of know but not really you invite with you to a concert because all your other options bailed on you and at that point you figure how bad could he be.

• Locked thread