Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Fyrbrand posted:

Fire still a pain in the rear end to paint, but here's babbys first Horgle2.

Love that model, good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fyrbrand posted:

I approve of that username/post combo.

also of that fire, great job

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

chutche2 posted:

In the mk2 army boxes, they threw in the actual kits. So like the praetorian swordsmen in my skorne box also had keltarii bits.

So maybe the kinda lovely sanctifiers in the menoth box can be made into reckoners.

I reckon the list was designed as min choir + reckoner + sanctifier and they went 'whoops, it looks strange to have a unit in the box that you don't use all of, let's just say two sanctifiers but i'm sure they'll know what we meant'

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So how good is the inflictor?

I'm ordering the cryx army box, which comes with a seether and inflictor. If it's full kits I'll magnetize both, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to have gaspy3 just go nuts with 2 seethers instead of the 1 of each the box recommends.

To expand to 75 I was thinking of adding in a battlebox slayer, a min unit of carrion thralls, war witch, necrotech, machine wraith. Maybe change the ripjaw out for another light. Or instead of a slayer I could go for barathrum. If I go with two seethers, I could put an ogrun bokur in there for shield guard.

Currently have no cryx outside of the battle box and army box. I have just about every mercenary that works for them other than cephalyx.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 25, 2017

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

chutche2 posted:

So how good is the inflictor?

I'm ordering the cryx army box, which comes with a seether and inflictor. If it's full kits I'll magnetize both, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to have gaspy3 just go nuts with 2 seethers instead of the 1 of each the box recommends.

To expand to 75 I was thinking of adding in a battlebox slayer, a min unit of carrion thralls, war witch, necrotech, machine wraith. Maybe change the ripjaw out for another light. Or instead of a slayer I could go for barathrum. If I go with two seethers, I could put an ogrun bokur in there for shield guard.

Inflictor is a great piece in the right list. Guy at the local level has been causing chaos with a Shade1, 4 inflictor, we/sj, and some mercs list. 4 stealthed heavies under shadowmancer get some work done, especially when you can just up and drop a unit of banes,

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

chutche2 posted:

In the mk2 army boxes, they threw in the actual kits. So like the praetorian swordsmen in my skorne box also had keltarii bits.

So maybe the kinda lovely sanctifiers in the menoth box can be made into reckoners.

Counterpoint, the Praetorian swordsmen in the 2 player box don't have keltarii bits.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Sturm and Drang continue to be the Swiss Army knife of Minions and seem to have an answer for everything. I think the only thing they can't do is negate tough.

You got high ARM or DEF? I have spells/animi/abilities for that.

You want to charge me? I say nah.

Gonna wreck the place with rough terrain? I'm good! All my poo poo has pathfinder and I'll come to you!

Carved me a Wurmwood into a nice bench when I was able to TK the Eldritch tree and my surviving War Hog into charge range.

Axe beats tree every time.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Counterpoint, the Praetorian swordsmen in the 2 player box don't have keltarii bits.

Yes, the 2 player boxes never had all parts, the MK2 army deal boxes did, however. This looks to be a continuation of those, but we can't be sure until the first one is released.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

"tee hee you guys painting fire is so hard, look at my garbage fire which I painted :bigtran:"

If my fire looked like that all my models would be on fire. Every. Single. One. Even my WW2 historicals. :discourse:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luebbi posted:

Yes, the 2 player boxes never had all parts, the MK2 army deal boxes did, however. This looks to be a continuation of those, but we can't be sure until the first one is released.

Couldn't you ask on the official forums? The Skorne set is a good enough deal that I'm thinking about getting one and splitting it with a local guy who's just getting into the faction. He wants stuff like Makeda1 and the Swordsmen UA, I want the beasts, the swords/kelt kit, and Orin.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I wish they'd thrown a sentinel in the Skorne box. I don't have most of the infantry, but gently caress if I need even more titans.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

darnon posted:

I wish they'd thrown a sentinel in the Skorne box.

Sentinels being wanted? What a time to be alive!

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I need a bit of advice. I play Menoth, usually against a friend of mine that has both Khador and Retribution. The issue is that our matchups currently seem "solved." We generally do 50 point games. I run Thyra or Amon most of the time, but I have High Reclaimer and Kreoss1. If I run Amon against any of my friend's Khador lists, I always win. Always. I run melee jacks and a max choir and destroy whatever jacks or infantry he sends. Against his Retribution lists, the only way I've been able to win is assassinating with Thyra. His Ret tear through my jack-heavy lists and do enough to infantry lists to get him the win on scenario.

What I'm asking is:

What can my friend do with Khador against Amon? I don't know his exact collection, but he has a pretty large Khador collection with the exception of cavalry. He has two Sorschas, at least one Irusk, and a couple others I don't know the names of. I want to keep playing Amon but I'm something like 5-0 against his Khador using Amon.

What can I do to run a jack-heavy list against Retribution? If I run Amon, he can usually carve off important pieces of my army using magical ranged weapons or spells before I can get close, then kill the rest in close combat. I have a few wins against his ret with infantry-heavy lists (usually by assassination) so I can continue to run those if I need to.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Against your Amon list, your buddy would probably tear through you with kozlov and unit or two of IFP. Back it up with widowmakers/behemoth/rocketeers/kossites to snipe out choir and bunch of cheap warjacks (marauders/juggernauts)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're really using melee only jacks with a choir and Amon, Doom Reavers seem to be a great choice. I'd also think that P+S 12 Weaponmasters will sort heavy jacks out quite well. DEF skewed infantry (like Kayazy) could also work. And the standard Winter Guard Riflemen/Infantry with max rockets do mean things to heavy armour. The field guns can also screw with stuff, because 2 knockdowns a turn at range is nothing to laugh at.

For casters, Sorscha 2 can do bad things to box skew, and she works well with Winter Guard. Irusk 2 also, since he's the go to Winter Guard Caster, and Fire For Effect can be mean on rockets.

For Ret, the faction is really wide and varied. Do you know what he is using?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

rkajdi posted:

For Ret, the faction is really wide and varied. Do you know what he is using?

Kaelyssa, issyria I know of. I think he has other casters but I can't remember which. I've seen dawnguard sentinels, houseguests halberdiers, riflemen, mhsf, and destors on the table. As far as jacks, manticore and chimera, and one jack that prevents spells within a few inches.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarern posted:

Kaelyssa, issyria I know of. I think he has other casters but I can't remember which. I've seen dawnguard sentinels, houseguests halberdiers, riflemen, mhsf, and destors on the table. As far as jacks, manticore and chimera, and one jack that prevents spells within a few inches.

Kaelyssa is going to own jack-based forces pretty easily, since she can stationary 3 jacks a turn and then head back out of range, plus backlash. The thing you need to remember is that choir are going to be there to buy off MHSF shots and to buff melee, since all Ret heavy jacks (plus Moros and gorgons) have magical shooting. His jack selection is limited, though as you've seen all the ret infantry is solid. The castigator is a not bad buy if he's mostly sending infantry against you, and dervish spam is a thing with Amon if you want it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rkajdi posted:

Does this stuff look acceptable to you:

Because that stuff is all "dipped". Just like any other technique, you can do it quick & sloppy or you can do it well. Highlighting afterward is something that helps tremendously, and you don't need to be a super art ninja to do it. These figures look decent as hell on the actual table, or at least are at the point nobody should be embarrassed by them.

No, that doesn't look acceptable to me. It looks loving rad! I wish my stuff looked like that! I don't know how to do highlights that don't just look like a blob.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My WMH stuff has been packed up for a couple of months but now the Desert Hydra is out and we've got new Skorne rules and, oh god, I don't know what to with myself.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What do you Menoth players like to run with Kreoss3 besides Vengers (which I don't own) and Gravus (which I'm already probably auto-including)? I just finished painting mine up last night.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

!Klams posted:

No, that doesn't look acceptable to me. It looks loving rad! I wish my stuff looked like that! I don't know how to do highlights that don't just look like a blob.

Again, it's but easy. I usually either use the same color as the basecoat, and maybe a single shade higher. All my coats are blob looking stuff when you see them up close. If you are familiar, a lot of what I do brush stroke-wise is inspired by the impressionists. So you want to visualize layers being built up to the lighter colors. Think of it as a topographic map moving to lighter colors at higher elevations if that helps. The trick is to fool your eyes into thinking there's much more detail being made than their actually is when you are at a reasonable distance from the figure. The technique looks rear end when compared to people who can actually paint, but most of those techniques aren't designed for painting whole armies in reasonable periods of time. I'd say I am under an hour total (not including drying time) on a standard sized infantry figure when I really get in the zone and am doing something every day. I just need to get back in the groove again, but I finished off all my Ret right at the end of the year and burned out a little. I plan on being able to get done about half a full faction of Skorne this year (i.e. all the stuff I have left to paint) but all the remaining 10 man units are going to make that a grind.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Grind looks pretty loving cool.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

mp5 posted:

What do you Menoth players like to run with Kreoss3 besides Vengers (which I don't own) and Gravus (which I'm already probably auto-including)? I just finished painting mine up last night.

Flame Bringers, for maximum horse.

Anastasia, because of how much better the list performs going first.

I shove the avatar in there but that's because I don't own a second unit of vengers and his buffs aren't battlegroup.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

mp5 posted:

He's the caster I bought my idrians to use with in mk2 and he still likes them - swapping holy ward for ignite on the turn they can charge. Also he's one of our primary users of Guardians/Revengers since he wants a force hammer arc node - force hammer + redeemer is great and he can strip a lot of knockdown-prevention effects.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Put my Cryx away and played a game with Wyrmwood proxied list that I ripped shamelessly from dgi.

Hey guys Mk3 is fun and good! Can't always see that through Cryx coloured glasses. I realize he was bonkers with a 14 inch forest but with the 9 inch it feels pretty fair. Even having my opponent drop Venethrax's feat into my face and I somehow forgot that Nightmare is ghostly and can just walk through my forest wall so I lost my pure blood a turn too early. Ghetorix can 1 round a heavy, Megalith has some trouble 1 rounding Deathjack. Looks like my purchase priorities are moving out of Cryxland, at least until the "Forces of..." book comes out. Manikins are so incredibly powerful.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Quick question - did they change the base sizes going from MK2 to MK3? I'm guessing no, but I want to make sure.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

King Doom posted:

Quick question - did they change the base sizes going from MK2 to MK3? I'm guessing no, but I want to make sure.

They did not.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptCommy posted:

They did not.

Nope, so we still have one metric measure in a game with otherwise English measurements. At least it's better than GW's cav bases, which were supposed to be 25 x 50mm wide but actually were 24 x 50. I doubt it'll ever get fixed, since changing base sizes is a way to drive your existing player base up the wall-- see Ungors in WFB 5E, 6E, and 7E.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Thankee for the quick reply guys.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I wish they'd put the superheavies like Behemoth, Ghetorix, Typhon, Imperatus, Deathjack, etc on 75 mm bases so we could say how special they are.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ghetorix wishes he was Ruin let alone behemoth
(I will never stop being salty about what circle pays for in their beasts even after giving up my army.)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Circle pays too little for their disgustingly powerful warpwolves, IMO.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Circle pays too little for their disgustingly powerful warpwolves, IMO.

Really? They seem overpriced at base pow15

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They're the best bet at cracking armor but you have to pay points for edge case abilities. Ghetorix might not even one round a jack half his cost.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What would be the best way to get rid of a bunch of Warmachine/Hordes at once? I have waaaaay to much and rarely play the game, and then only the stuff I really enjoy playing. I have a bad habit of picking up poo poo when its well priced or speaks to me. Right now I have quite a bit of extra Legion of Everblight, Trollbloods, unopened Cygnar, the Khador stuff I recently posted about and some mercs/minions stuff that plays well with those factions. I'd prefer to just get rid of it all at once. Any place I could do that, even if it required an overnight road trip somewhere close to NC?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Forzelt posted:

Really? They seem overpriced at base pow15

I mean, they're really base pow 17 with Warp Strength, then you add in the speed 6 in a faction that has wide access to more speed buffs, including Hunter's Mark which is stupidly efficient, then you add in the fact that the more popular warlocks have further strength buffs or armor debuff spells, and then you add in the incredibly cheap access to probably the most efficient damage buff in the game (Primal) for the occasion you need to hit something with super high armor/defense.

You can get Ghetorix up to a Mat9 pow 23 with free charge without too much hassle. You can also go the reverse route and turn your Ghetorix into a Def14 Arm22 under freakin' Baldur2.

E: Circle players are also effectively playing 10 points up at all times, since the drat sentry stones do what a full 20ish point unit would do for everyone else, and then some.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

ShowTime posted:

What would be the best way to get rid of a bunch of Warmachine/Hordes at once? I have waaaaay to much and rarely play the game, and then only the stuff I really enjoy playing. I have a bad habit of picking up poo poo when its well priced or speaks to me. Right now I have quite a bit of extra Legion of Everblight, Trollbloods, unopened Cygnar, the Khador stuff I recently posted about and some mercs/minions stuff that plays well with those factions. I'd prefer to just get rid of it all at once. Any place I could do that, even if it required an overnight road trip somewhere close to NC?

I dont know but i am glad I dont live in North Carolina anymore or I'd end up with a bunch of stuff.

My advice is keep talking like you are now and be patient.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I mean, they're really base pow 17 with Warp Strength, then you add in the speed 6 in a faction that has wide access to more speed buffs, including Hunter's Mark which is stupidly efficient, then you add in the fact that the more popular warlocks have further strength buffs or armor debuff spells, and then you add in the incredibly cheap access to probably the most efficient damage buff in the game (Primal) for the occasion you need to hit something with super high armor/defense.

You can get Ghetorix up to a Mat9 pow 23 with free charge without too much hassle. You can also go the reverse route and turn your Ghetorix into a Def14 Arm22 under freakin' Baldur2.

E: Circle players are also effectively playing 10 points up at all times, since the drat sentry stones do what a full 20ish point unit would do for everyone else, and then some.

Primal is only efficient in turns where you win. Otherwise, it's got a pretty significant drawback that shouldn't be glazed over.

Warpwolves are good and hit fast and hard, but also die like chumps even with buffs and are pretty pricey. I think they're pretty well balanced as is, but certainly not OP.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

You can get Ghetorix up to a Mat9 pow 23 with free charge without too much hassle.

Yeah you get to kill one thing with him, and there isn't a lot of stuff that isn't trading down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah like warpwolves are actually fine I'm just eternally butt flustered that my faction didn't have any beasts that could just try to trash other heavies. The rip horn is the closest to a cheap beat stick and it is not one. I liked kromac2 and the baulders but their straight forward fighting kits don't gel with their beast options imo