Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
We win a lot but last night we lost in the shootout but it was the most fun I've had in a beer league game in a while, I did a beer league version of that Kane move where he just sits in front of the goalie deking and motorcycle kicking and it worked so I'm set for the year -- I also got two easy tap ins and didn't even go to the gym this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sellouts posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

Who are these coaches? What are their accreditations?

I'm in the process of destroying everything I know in terms of how to skate and shoot. It ain't cheap. It has already fixed my shoulder issues though so for that it is amazing. I can't imagine what you're getting with position coaches in some beer league.

You're not allowed to get onto the ice here (as another poster said, England, not sure if its just my local rink though) to play hockey unless someone who has done a coaching course is present. I imagine a few teams break this rule, but whatever. The coaches we have are ex players for pro teams who do it for fun these days.

Pretty sure the accreditation is just the standard level 1/2/3 coaching course but i've never cared enough to ask, I can if you're curious.

Despite the presence of coaches at every skating session most of us are still pretty bad.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

dogstile posted:

You're not allowed to get onto the ice here (as another poster said, England, not sure if its just my local rink though) to play hockey unless someone who has done a coaching course is present. I imagine a few teams break this rule, but whatever. The coaches we have are ex players for pro teams who do it for fun these days.

Pretty sure the accreditation is just the standard level 1/2/3 coaching course but i've never cared enough to ask, I can if you're curious.

Despite the presence of coaches at every skating session most of us are still pretty bad.

England and their hockey-killing regulations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trust a brit to institute bureaucracy in places where it makes no sense.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I was kinda hoping the Brits would have a different word for hockey, like Slippyfoot or something.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was kinda hoping the Brits would have a different word for hockey, like Slippyfoot or something.

That's what they call figure skating.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Team we played on Sunday had guys slamming sticks on the boards and yelling at teammates on their bench, they were loving furious about losing to the worst team in the league.

We ran up the score enough that we got a running clock, a major accomplishment. :angel:

So many door slams.

First win?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Second actually but this one was the first BIG WIN because we crushed them (and they crushed us last time we played).

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Well Brits and Aussies always do refer to it with the full name "ice hockey", rather than just hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm just glad they don't have another completely different sport they call hockey. The football debate is really stupid.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Skatedisc

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
No taxation, I mean coaching, without representation!

Time for a hockey revolution!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

I'm just glad they don't have another completely different sport they call hockey. The football debate is really stupid.
They do. To them if you say 'hockey' you are actually referring to what we in America would call field hockey. Also guys play field hockey here. It's weird.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn europeans, this is why we left you behind!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Fitness chat: I drink beer before games.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyduck posted:

Fitness chat: I drink beer before games.

Congratulations. This is correct.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

shyduck posted:

Fitness chat: I drink beer before and after games and sometimes during too.

Fixed

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
:same:

e: the above may or may not explain when I have a huge purple foot atm

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 26, 2017

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

They do. To them if you say 'hockey' you are actually referring to what we in America would call field hockey. Also guys play field hockey here. It's weird.

Did you know that real_scud lives in England? :manning:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

real_scud posted:

This is a legit problem every time I tell someone what sport I play.

Also our Women's field hockey team won gold so at the very least we're better at that than we are at footie.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bradf0rd posted:

Did you know that real_scud lives in England? :manning:
Did you know Bradf0rd is a goalie? :downsa:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just got back from my first lesson. So I showed up, asked a couple people on the bench if this was the "Learn to Play Hockey" class and they said I was in the right place. The coach gets onto the ice, introduces himself, dumps out a bucket of pucks, and says "everyone get in line, let's see how you all are at crossovers with the puck."

:what:

That's when I found out that the Wednesday class was for beginner-beginners and the Thursday class was for people who had completed the Wednesday class. There is ZERO indication that there's a difference between the two time slots on their website. So I'm standing there with my brand new, untaped stick, not even sure if I'm holding it the right way, and I'm expected to immediately jump into crossovers with puck handling.

So I was completely out of my league, but the coach was very accommodating. Even though I was clearly the worst one there, it wasn't by THAT much. I ate it like 5 times, usually when trying to turn too sharply with the puck or trying to stop suddenly (I only know how to do the plow stop so far). Also by some miracle, I actually was middle-of-the-pack in terms of my shot, even though I've literally never shot a puck on the ice before.

Since the cost is the same for both classes, the coach told me I could switch over to Wednesdays if I wanted, but he told me I was clearly a better skater already than just about everyone in his Wednesday class. I may be decent at skating forwards, but the problem is I don't know how to do any of the other hockey basics like crossovers, hockey stops, or skating backwards, so I'll definitely be going to Wednesday's class next week. He kinda hinted that he'd be fine if I went to both classes despite paying for only one of them, but I feel like all the extra time I need with the Thursday classmates would slow them down. I'll check with him on Wednesday to see if that offer is still on the table.

Free Skate was immediately after my lesson, so I spent an hour in the center just working on crossovers. I can do them halfway-decently now when turning left, but when trying to do crossovers to my right, my left foot refuses to cooperate.

A couple things I learned today: Having a stick really helps with balance, although I'm sure I'm not supposed to lean on it for support much. Also having a helmet really upped my confidence level into trying more difficult techniques. I never actually hit my head any of the times I fell, it was always my knees or my side, but the helmet does something to me psychologically that washes away any of my fears of falling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, don't worry about other skaters. They can move around you if you're in the way.

If someone offers you ice time, loving take the ice time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

Nah, don't worry about other skaters. They can move around you if you're in the way.

If someone offers you ice time, loving take the ice time.

I'm more concerned about taking the coach's time away from the other players who need one-on-one help with more advanced techniques, while I'm taking his time to ask him stuff like "HOW I HOLD STICK?" :downs:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm more concerned about taking the coach's time away from the other players who need one-on-one help with more advanced techniques, while I'm taking his time to ask him stuff like "HOW I HOLD STICK?" :downs:

You paid for this class right? Your time is just as valuable as the next guy's don't worry about it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vargatron posted:

You paid for this class right? Your time is just as valuable as the next guy's don't worry about it.

I paid for the wrong class, apparently, but since it costs the same as the other one, I'm going to flip to the other one. The coach hinted that he'd be fine with me going to BOTH, despite only paying for one, and that's what I'm apprehensive about.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I paid for the wrong class, apparently, but since it costs the same as the other one, I'm going to flip to the other one. The coach hinted that he'd be fine with me going to BOTH, despite only paying for one, and that's what I'm apprehensive about.

Take him up on it. People don't just say poo poo like that and not mean it, he knows that increased ice time is a direct correlation with improvement and people won't show up every week. One extra person isn't going to take ice time away from anyone. This is literally going to be some of the most beneficial ice time to learning how to play hockey and improving that you will ever get. Most people go play drop in and their skills rarely improve after that. By doing drills with a coach, you are going to improve much faster and you will have fewer bad habits.

I think you may want to go to the Wednesday class because he might actually focus on the fundamentals a little bit more than in the Thursday class. However if you go to both you will likely be a pro in 6 months.

Man, I miss coached sessions and drills. Mostly the stick handling and team play drills, not the skating. gently caress suicides/STPs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It can't be overstated how valuable ice time is, I've seen people who showed up to the instructional league unable to stand straight pass me in skill because they have a lot of free time and are able to skate every day. It doesn't take long either, if you can put in 10+ hours of ice time a week you'll be a threat out there in well under a year.

2-3 hours a week? Takes years (ask how I know).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just got back from my first lesson.

Dude, seriously - if he's offering free time for the love of pete take him up on it.

Hell I would *love* (and need) to have more coached and drill time up here.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

On Wednesday I'm going to confirm he's okay with me going to both classes despite only paying for one, and then I'm going to go to both for the next two months. After that session, I'll probably just retake the advanced class again before starting up Rat Hockey.

My head and my left arm are the only things that aren't sore today. Falling down a lot didn't hurt when it happened, but I'm feeling it today.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I know that feeling, man.

My hamstrings are still kinda complaining from goaltending on Monday night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your quads aren't wobbly for the next day, you didn't bust rear end hard enough. They're the first thing to give out when doing powerskating drills.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Foam roller helps me

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Foam roller helps me

what the gently caress is this tryhard poo poo

I don't like this new sellouts

just drink 6 beers like any normal human being

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Only 6? Do you have work early the next morning or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because some dumbass cheaped out and only brought a 12 pack and the only other beer was some stupid microbrew poo poo that the team nerd is constantly trying to foist on people.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

For what it's worth when I started skating everyone was better than me and really supportive. Nobody ever made me feel like a burden in drop in hockey or lessons. In fact the better people were, it seemed, the more they wanted to help me get better.

Basically what I'm saying is people that are good want to get other people to be good too. Take him up on the offer and show up to both, I know you're nervous because you're new but the guy is giving you ice time and that's a super loving solid move because the only way you get better is with more ice time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My head and my left arm are the only things that aren't sore today. Falling down a lot didn't hurt when it happened, but I'm feeling it today.

It definitely gets WAY better in time. Now, pretty much the only time I get sore is that first game after an extended break (also cause I'm An Old) or if I bend something the wrong way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

what the gently caress is this tryhard poo poo

I don't like this new sellouts

just drink 6 beers like any normal human being

I'm old and hurt and I have never drank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy, you doing the cross ice on Friday?

I got an email about being in goal for it, I think I'm crazy enough to do it and get destroyed.