Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

for a 2br apartment lmao
He said it's for his half of one of the bedrooms which, in Encinitas and not SD proper, is pretty indulgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I would probably give most of it away tbh. I don't understand rich people and I don't want to.

Yea but $60k isn't rich unless you're comparing it to third world wages.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

purple death ray posted:

My apartment loving rules are you kidding me? This is the best place I've ever lived. Like I guess it would be convenient to have a second car for my girlfriend but that's like another couple of hundred a month. We could possibly make that happen on our current income. Plus I already feel like an irredeemable shithead driving my first ever less than decade old car past homeless people begging on the streets.

I would probably give most of it away tbh. I don't understand rich people and I don't want to.

$60k still isn't rich

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Moridin920 posted:

lol well idk what to say. It seems obvious to me. Who pays for a 2 bedroom apartment as a single person with no roommates or gf/bf?

Lots of people, for a variety of valid reasons that don't suddenly make them bad with money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People that can afford it? Likely in the suburbs?

K well I might be in the wrong and I might be in crazy town but okay people rent 2 bedroom apartments with $30k/yr for the lols I guess.

I still don't see how you couldn't easily be flush with cash with a $60k/yr income in San Diego unless you're blowing it stupidly.

TheScott2K posted:

Lots of people, for a variety of valid reasons that don't suddenly make them bad with money.

If you are talking about surviving on less than $25k/yr and you have a whole extra bedroom that you are paying for and isn't producing a source of income for you (like say, a roommate giving you rent) then yeah that's bad with money fam.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

My (19f) boyfriend (20m) came home over 3 hours after I'd asked him to with no explanation. How do I talk to him?[new]
submitted 8 minutes ago by throwawayfrustrat

We've been living together for over a year now. Every once in a whole when he goes out with his friend Mark, he'll just completely lose track of time. I'm fine with him not always being home at the specified time but it's really getting annoying to me now.
He's got another friend, Laura, and so I've just started adding on an extra hour to his specified time he comes home after hanging out with her. That's fine with me, I don't mind him being a little late because he lets me know when he's on his way.
But like a good quarter of the time when he hangs out with Mark he'll just come home 1-2 hours later with no notice or anything, even if I've asked him to be home before like midnight or something.
Tonight, he was supposed to go out and be back before midnight. An hour in, I texted him saying i was feeling kind of lovely and asked him to be back at 11-11:30pm. He texts me at 11:05 saying he has some stories for me and at11:45 saying he missed the bus. Then I find out Mark's girlfriend called Mark at like 12:30am and asked Mark what was going on. My boyfriend finally comes home at 2am and has not texted me or contacted me past 11:45pm, until 2am saying he lost the spare key.
I tried talking to him about it because I just couldn't sleep but all he could say was "I'm sorry" and he was just being very nonchalant about it. I'm so sick of this being a problem and he thinks I'm overreacting. Am I?

Tl;dr: my boyfriend comes home late without a courtesy text saying he'll be late like a quieter of the time he hangs out with his friend Mark. Tonight is asked him to cut his night short by 30 minutes and he comes home 3 hours later without telling me. How do I talk to him about this?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He said it's for his half of one of the bedrooms which, in Encinitas and not SD proper, is pretty indulgent.

yeah I missed that part

yeah you can live it up pretty good in your share of one room in a second-tier city! people who have their own beds must be, like, millionaires, man.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

K well I might be in the wrong and I might be in crazy town but okay people rent 2 bedroom apartments with $30k/yr for the lols I guess.

I still don't see how you couldn't easily be flush with cash with a $60k/yr income in San Diego unless you're blowing it stupidly.

Someday, when you're making $60k a year, you will.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

Someday, when you're making $60k a year, you will.

I mean I just told you I lived here just fine on $18k/yr but alright.

(btw I make significantly more than that now lol not that it has any relevance)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I side with the boyfriend on this one, he's a grown man, let him be out without a curfew.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

quote:

Me [26 M] with my GF [26 F] - not sure if I disrespected her re: going to a restaurant with family[new]

Girlfriend is out of country for two weeks for work. My family decide to go out for dinner one night, a few days before she comes back. The restaurant we went to was one that was in her neighbourhood that she and her family brought me to a few weeks prior. She is upset that my family and I went there and could have picked another restaurant or waited just a few more days until she got back to go. She wouldn't have mind if we went to any other restaurant.

I guess I'm just flustered that I don't know why it made a difference that we went to that restaurant without her, since she was out of the country. I think she thinks we went there on purpose since she wasn't in town. She said she wouldn't feel bad if we went to any other restaurant. I think it's to do with a restaurant that a) she recommended and brought me to b) it's really close to where she lives.

Appreciate your thoughts on this one.

tl;dr: Went to a restaurant with my family close to where girlfriend lives (she also brought me with her family to that same restaurant a few weeks before), but she was out of town for two weeks. She is upset that I went
there without her / should have waited for her to come back first.

Pull up thread, pull up!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah you can live it up pretty good in your share of one room in a second-tier city! people who have their own beds must be, like, millionaires, man.

lol San Diego is the 10th most expensive city in the country and Encinitas is an expensive part of San Diego

2nd tier indeed

e:

quote:

Compared to the rest of the country, Encinitas (zip 92007)'s cost of living is 141.80% Higher than the U.S. average.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I side with the boyfriend on this one, he's a grown man, let him be out without a curfew.
Yeah nothing makes hanging out less fun to me than an arbitrary time limit. I'll come home when the group disbands because one of us feels like sleeping.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I get the feeling she has some self-generated reason why she can't go out with him and his friends, and his refusal to stay home and watch Netflix with her every weekend night is the root of the problem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

La Brea Carpet posted:

Pull up thread, pull up!
I really hope they are not really 26 and the dude just changed a 1 to a 2 to seem more mature.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I mean I just told you I lived here just fine on $18k/yr but alright.

(btw I make significantly more than that now lol not that it has any relevance)

I spent a good chunk of one winter perfectly happily sleeping nights in a utility tunnel I got into through a loose vent and another in a tent with a tarp for a weather cover but that is still not a reasonable expectation for a middle-class adult standard of living.

My [38 F] family member [22/F] wants to become homeless

quote:

My cousin, I'll call her Alex, is obviously a lot younger than me, but I have no siblings and over the last several years we've become somewhat close.

Alex is clinically depressed and has a bad relationship with her parents (her mom is abusive.) She's currently living with our grandma rent free and sleeping on her couch, but our grandma is old and sick and is unlikely to live much longer.
Everyone in the family is pushing for Alex to live with me as my roommate, which I agree with- I want this to happen. I've said that I'll charge her a reduced rate, only one third of the rent, and that she won't have to pay any bills other than a third of the rent and she can use my car.

However, Alex hates working and doesn't want a job. She says she wants to live here, but that she can't stand to work so she won't be able to pay rent. She's had one job, a minimum wage job she had for about a year, but she hated it so she quit.
For a while she said her dream was to join the circus and be a circus freak, then she wanted to be a ghost hunter...but I guess she's realized neither of those careers are going to work out, because now she says that when our grandma dies she wants to be a homeless person, or as she puts it a vagabond.

She says she'll find a group of other homeless people and they'll travel the world together and take care of each other and survive by stealing and getting free food that restaurants and stores are about to throw out.

Obviously this is a terrible idea, being homeless isn't a fun adventure like she seems to think it is, she'd end up starving and sick and cold and miserable, not to mention that homeless women get assaulted sexually at really high rates.
So my question is, how can I convince her that being homeless is a terrible decision and she should instead get a part time job and move in with me?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 25, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

that is still not a reasonable expectation for a middle-class adult standard of living.

I didn't say that.

I said, if you as a person with no kids or dependent spouse in a low COL area make $25k/yr you can live and at $60k/yr you can def be flush with cash. Idk why that's so drat contentious. In most of the country $60k/yr is a lot of money.

e: I mean drat ~$52k/yr is the average household income.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 25, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

circus freakery just doesn't pay like it used to, this economy right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vorkosigan posted:

boyfriend time

Um... so like she tells him to leave and what time to come home.
I mean not saying hey I"ll be a bit late is not cool.. but still he's a grown rear end man.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I apologize for my role in the Moridin920's Understanding of Personal Economics Derail and am willing to concede that I am in fact "flush with cash, dog" for the sake of ending it.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Pick posted:

Lower upper-class people are the stingiest fuckers you will ever meet.

My retired boomer uncle owns a SUV that is so fuel inefficient that the gas gauge noticeably moves when you accelerate. He keeps the domelight turned off and doesn't run the AC (in Texas) to "save money" on gas and light bulbs. He also has a storage shed in the backyard of his nicely furnished and perfectly manicured suburban dwelling full of random furniture and other crap he rescued from curbside trash pickup because it's "still good". He resuses trash bags and only flushes the toilet when he takes a dump. His idea of a vacation is to go pan for gold or take out the trusty metal detector in search of treasure. Last time I saw him he was spending evenings in his office watching TV and grinding away at a rock because it might have silver ore in it. Dude is in his 70's with no kids. When his previous wife died in 2010 she left him over half a million dollars worth of assets from oil and gas wells on top of his own retirement savings and pension from being a government employee. He could be blowing it all in his final years but he's still holding onto each dollar like it's his last.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheScott2K posted:

I apologize for my role in the Moridin920's Understanding of Personal Economics Derail and am willing to concede that I am in fact "flush with cash, dog" for the sake of ending it.

You definitely talk like you have too much money so I'm going to call my prejudice against the upper middle class/lower upper class justified

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no stop

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

My retired boomer uncle owns a SUV that is so fuel inefficient that the gas gauge noticeably moves when you accelerate. He keeps the domelight turned off and doesn't run the AC (in Texas) to "save money" on gas and light bulbs. He also has a storage shed in the backyard of his nicely furnished and perfectly manicured suburban dwelling full of random furniture and other crap he rescued from curbside trash pickup because it's "still good". He resuses trash bags and only flushes the toilet when he takes a dump. His idea of a vacation is to go pan for gold or take out the trusty metal detector in search of treasure. Last time I saw him he was spending evenings in his office watching TV and grinding away at a rock because it might have silver ore in it. Dude is in his 70's with no kids. When his previous wife died in 2010 she left him over half a million dollars worth of assets from oil and gas wells on top of his own retirement savings and pension from being a government employee. He could be blowing it all in his final years but he's still holding onto each dollar like it's his last.

Someone should tell him he can't keep all his stuff when he dies.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^get a load of this boner who doesn't know how pharaohs were buried!!

I'm going to come right out and say it. I feel I could live comfortable making over 100k a year.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Just go ahead and introduce her to meth or heroin now and jump start the downward spiral.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

She says she'll find a group of other homeless people and they'll travel the world together and take care of each other and survive by stealing and getting free food that restaurants and stores are about to throw out.

lol just let her go try to be homeless for a week, that'll fix it right there

she probably won't make it to day 4

e: Actually she sounds hella clinically depressed and should prolly go to therapy or something idk.

quote:

she wants to be a homeless person, or as she puts it a vagabond

lol i wanna be a rogue myself

tactlessbastard posted:

Hay you guys want to hear an exhaustive rundown of my household budget? Well, we start with dayca....

Excuse me, I don't know what came over me just now.

Hey I'm not the one that went 'bullshit you can survive on $25k/yr as a single adult!!!'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 25, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Hay you guys want to hear an exhaustive rundown of my household budget? Well, we start with dayca....

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

54 40 or gently caress posted:

^get a load of this boner who doesn't know how pharaohs were buried!!

I'm going to come right out and say it. I feel I could live comfortable making over 100k a year.

Same

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is the only surefire cure for that type of depression imo. Plus it's fun as gently caress. I really hope someone on reddit tells them that even though I know they're gonna do the opposite.

Also I'll put a number of dollars on the line that several redditors PMed her with "your sister can live w me asl"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I've lived on ~$11k for a few years of my life. I currently live on ~$7k now. Rent free tho.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tactlessbastard posted:

i'm beyond delighted that immediately after the shoes derail this is where goons decide to draw the line in chiming in about the minutiae of their boring rear end lives

did this one already get posted? I've seen it somewhere before, but either way it deserves a rerun

I [16M] just had my ex and best friend [16F&M] come into my work and tell me they are both leaving me for each other. They also asked me if I could not go to the circus tonight that I bought tickets for

quote:

I have to kinda keep this short as humanly possible. I am still working but my boss has given me 20 minutes to myself.

I am going into my junior year at high school and I need to know how to cope with this. My boss said she would let me go home but she really needs me here. So I was serving customers as usual when I see my girlfriend and best friend walk in. They tell they are both leaving me for each other. They told me and I quote " we like you, great person but we like each other more"

I just stood their stunned beyond belief, then they had the balls to ask me not to go to the circus that I bought their tickets for. It's 6:30 now and I get off at eight and I planned on meeting them there. There is a circus in town and I had never been to one so I wanted to go

They did this while other customers and co workers were around, I have never been so embarrassed in all my life and I just don't know what to do

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

tater_salad posted:

Um... so like she tells him to leave and what time to come home.
I mean not saying hey I"ll be a bit late is not cool.. but still he's a grown rear end man.

They live together. If they're at that stage of committment in their relationship she deserves to know when he's going to be home so she's not up all night worried about it.

She's not freaking out because he's coming home late, she's freaking out because he's coming home late without telling her or giving any explanation for why he was late. That's cheater behavior. That's something to be worried about.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man if I had those tickets on me I prolly woulda pulled them out and ripped em up right in their face without a word.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Man if I had those tickets on me I prolly woulda pulled them out and ripped em up right in their face without a word.

Is anyone else picturing Jianyu/Jason from The Good Place?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

From about 20 pages back but I love this one. I'm pretty sure by the end of his outburst she probably does have a pretty good idea why his relationships fail, so maybe he was right all along about her deliberately withholding the truth to spare his feelings!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've lived on ~$11k for a few years of my life. I currently live on ~$7k now. Rent free tho.

yeah I think people really underestimate how easily you can pare down expenses when you're really poor. I was unemployed for 7 months (2/mos without any unemployment) between 2014 and 2015 and I honestly wasn't having too much harder of a time paying my bills than I am now on 45k/yr.

I didn't like living that way, though, and the things I had to do to make it work had a serious negative impact on my health. Eating garbage and never going to the doctor isn't sustainable forever. You can make do without a lot of things (esp. if you live in the city) but there's a point where the things you're sacrificing aren't worth it no matter how much we try to justify it.

My eyelid's never gonna work right again (not that it's that bad, but it's droopy and I hate it) and I don't think I'm ever gonna be able to drive comfortably without sunglasses on. Working 40 hours a week sucks, but so does having permanent injuries when you're 30. Healthcare expenses alone are reason enough to not settle at 10-20k/yr imo.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

I [16M] just had my ex and best friend [16F&M] come into my work and tell me they are both leaving me for each other. They also asked me if I could not go to the circus tonight that I bought tickets for

This is some exquisite scooty fruity. Poor guy should go to that drat circus and take up the carnie life and never look back.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is some exquisite scooty fruity. Poor guy should go to that drat circus and take up the carnie life and never look back.

honestly at his age this isn't the worst idea

he'll either be dead or running his own circus by the time he's 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

WampaLord posted:

Agreed. She "felt lovely" so he needs to come home right then? I can feel the neediness from here.