Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

Oh god going into a menu to switch your powers around because there's more biotics in the next group or whatever sounds so tedious.

Surely in the year of our lord 2017 they wouldn't design the game like that.

If they give you the option, so what? Nobody is making you have to obsessively respec for each encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Surely in the year of our lord 2017 they wouldn't design the game like that.

Did you play DA:I? There were way more useful powers than you could ever fit on the hot bar. Fortunately, the combat was never hard or complicated enough that you needed to swap, but it was annoying.

Limited ability sets have their roots in MOBAs, and they've been slowly infecting other genres in the same way RPGs transmitted leveling mechanics all over the place. Sometimes they're awful, but sometimes it can work out okay. Diablo 3, for example, made good use of the system by having lots of power sets that synergized together and created a bunch of different playstyles within each class.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

If they give you the option, so what? Nobody is making you have to obsessively respec for each encounter.

Requiring additional tedium to play a character optimally is bad game design.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I hope they give you a quick menu of "favorite loadouts" or something that you can switch to on the fly. Kinda like Final Fantasy 13 or something. That would be rad as hell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Serf posted:

I hope they give you a quick menu of "favorite loadouts" or something that you can switch to on the fly. Kinda like Final Fantasy 13 or something. That would be rad as hell.

Agreed. I don't mind the idea of essentially building the equivalent of a multiplayer class for my own personal use, but being able to set default powers and quickly switch to different loadouts could be cool. Or perhaps make it something like a Call of Duty game where you can switch out gear and ability presets at a way-station/camp.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marshmallow creep posted:

Agreed. I don't mind the idea of essentially building the equivalent of a multiplayer class for my own personal use, but being able to set default powers and quickly switch to different loadouts could be cool. Or perhaps make it something like a Call of Duty game where you can switch out gear and ability presets at a way-station/camp.

MMOs have this, right? Like you have 1-9 hotbar, and then can cycle through maybe 3 or 4 instances of hotbars, each with whatever skills you put in them.

This switch stuff for ME:A sounds more like a streamline thing for controllers/consoles than it does some major new way of playing a game.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Halloween Jack posted:

I started replaying ME3 as a Sentinel, but stupidly I didn't realize that you can't get Tactical Cloak as a biotic. Replaying as an Adept. I can't remember which magic makes the other magic explode, but stuff keeps sploding as long as I cycle between Singularity/Throw/Warp.

double pull double throw is your jam here

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kurieg posted:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Combos

Thankfully, more obsessive people than you have already done the legwork. And if you bring along friends that set people on fire you can make your enemies explode into bloody giblets.

Adept with james+squad explosive ammo and liara is loving hilarious. Shoot with AR to set them on fire, hit with warp, hit with carnage, hit with second warp, then repeat. By the time your bullets set them on fire again, powers are usually recharged. The time to kill on brutes is ridiculous on insanity.

I really liked how ME3 just went hogwild with combos and powers. "I am a biotic god" indeed.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Adept with james+squad explosive ammo and liara is loving hilarious. Shoot with AR to set them on fire, hit with warp, hit with carnage, hit with second warp, then repeat. By the time your bullets set them on fire again, powers are usually recharged. The time to kill on brutes is ridiculous on insanity.

I really liked how ME3 just went hogwild with combos and powers. "I am a biotic god" indeed.

One of the reasons I didn't enjoy DA:I as much was because of the relatively lack of power interactions and combos as compared to ME3.

Especially in MP when you'd be playing characters that might not be able to combo on their own and you had to work with your team. DA:I had much less of that, although it did have the more classic tank/DPS/support roles in its MP.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Crustashio posted:

I may or may not have been shouting "Get some! Get some!" over and over again the first time I went Charge/Nova/Shotgun crazy until everything around me was dead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zakmonster posted:

One of the reasons I didn't enjoy DA:I as much was because of the relatively lack of power interactions and combos as compared to ME3.

They were there if you were looking for them, warrior+Assassin+Rift Mage means you're hurling out combos for days, they're just not as visible as they are in ME3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

I may or may not have been shouting "Get some! Get some!" over and over again the first time I went Charge/Nova/Shotgun crazy until everything around me was dead.

"Rip and tear! Rip AND TEAR!"

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Zakmonster posted:

Especially in MP when you'd be playing characters that might not be able to combo on their own and you had to work with your team. DA:I had much less of that, although it did have the more classic tank/DPS/support roles in its MP.

Some of the most fun I had in ME3 MP was working as a two man biotic team with one primer and one detonator, explosions for days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

Wow Sux2bu ‏@wowsux2bu
I'm more curious about the inventory system. Will it be like ME3 or like DAI? I personally prefer ME3 but that's just me.

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
It's...somewhere in between the two, actually. Keep an eye open during future gameplay reveals.

That matches what I remember from the Nvidia clip.

quote:

Ceramic Cat ‏@theceramiccat
If I play as Scott, will I still be able to customize Sara's face (and vice versa)?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Yup!

Pretty sure we already knew this, but confirmation. This is actually something that I was hoping for, personally. What I'm less sure on is if we get to change the name of the sibling we don't use, or if it'll default to Scott/Sara like Fallout 4 defaults your spouse to Nate/Nora.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pretty sure we already knew this, but confirmation. This is actually something that I was hoping for, personally. What I'm less sure on is if we get to change the name of the sibling we don't use, or if it'll default to Scott/Sara like Fallout 4 defaults your spouse to Nate/Nora.

ME3 had an inventory system? Or are they talking about all the guns and armor pieces you collect and switch out at the armory?

And I think they said you can't change the non-MC Ryder sibling, so get ready for the adventures of Nebula'Starwolfia Ryder and her brother, Scott.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

ME3 had an inventory system? Or are they talking about all the guns and armor pieces you collect and switch out at the armory?

And I think they said you can't change the non-MC Ryder sibling, so get ready for the adventures of Nebula'Starwolfia Ryder and her brother, Scott.

Nebula'Starwolfia better have neon pink hair covered in glitter.

Tactical glitter obviously.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Um plagiarism because Nebula'Starwolfia is my true soul name you fuckin thief

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Um plagiarism because Nebula'Starwolfia is my true soul name you fuckin thief

you big stupid jellyfish

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

JawKnee posted:

you big stupid jellyfish

That's the one line where I prefer Mark Meers delivery over Jennifer Hales.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most important aspect of Maleryder is if he can grow an actual man's beard. Shepard's beard options are a hall of shame. If you chose any beard option in any ME game, Joker is laughing at you. So is everyone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That would make the most sense for voiceovers. Then at least your character can say their sibling's name.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Halloween Jack posted:

The most important aspect of Maleryder is if he can grow an actual man's beard. Shepard's beard options are a hall of shame. If you chose any beard option in any ME game, Joker is laughing at you. So is everyone else.

Too realistic for you?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/824300865091751941

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Why can't I have a gay sibling!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Yippee, another short and uninformative trailer, have seen any of those for MEA yet. :jerkbag:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can't wait for all the slow panning shots of environments intercut with 0.5 second long clips of gameplay. Also I don't know what is going on in that view of the planet but maybe don't settle on the world with what appears to be tendrils of the vast empty void of space growing from it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 25, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I just want to see some uncut gameplay segment, like starting on the star map -> landing on some optional planet -> driving the Mako exploring till you find a quest or anything like that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Too realistic for you?
The exact opposite. Shepard can grow a full head of hair, but not a beard that reaches his sideburns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

frajaq posted:

I just want to see some uncut gameplay segment, like starting on the star map -> landing on some optional planet -> driving the Mako exploring till you find a quest or anything like that

They've got exactly 10 hours of passable gameplay, coming with your $5 subscription to EA Access.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Halloween Jack posted:

The exact opposite. Shepard can grow a full head of hair, but not a beard that reaches his sideburns.

Beards are laughable in the real world. :thejoke:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Beards are laughable in the real world.

:goonsay:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My Ryder is going to be a Sikh and needs the most magnificent beard.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So the Neogaf poster was right about the trailer coming out before this weekend.

Let's see if it will turn around the skeptics like they said the trailer would.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

So the Neogaf poster was right about the trailer coming out before this weekend.

Let's see if it will turn around the skeptics like they said the trailer would.

Its a cinematic trailer so hopefully we see better animations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

They've got exactly 10 hours of passable gameplay, coming with your $5 subscription to EA Access.

Don't knock the EA access thing. A load of people can pay $5 to tell us whether or not this game is actually any good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone else a bit disappointed that they went with the m/f protagonist again? I mean, I'd have preferred just one, don't care which sex, and another party member that is voiced and fleshed out. Having duplicate characters with a different voice and one with boobs doesn't really do much.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone else a bit disappointed that they went with the m/f protagonist again? I mean, I'd have preferred just one, don't care which sex, and another party member that is voiced and fleshed out. Having duplicate characters with a different voice and one with boobs doesn't really do much.

Actually its super cool because most games overwhelmingly have male protagonists

so its cool to have a badass lady main character in a big franchise

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Moola posted:

Actually its super cool because most games overwhelmingly have male protagonists

so its cool to have a badass lady main character in a big franchise

I'd be down with that. ONLY a woman protag. No male. And then use those other resources to make other parts of the game better.

But this are you a dude or a chick poo poo is stale to me. Cut that tie with the original series. Or have a hanar protag. Or an asexual robot.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Strongly disagree, the degree to which Bioware lets you define your player character in their games is one of their best features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They seem to be coming half way by make the non-MC Ryder have a role in the story