Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh god CTF in Overwatch. loving miserable time.

I played 8 matches trying to get the box from it. Seven of those ended in a draw, with neither side even managing to pick up the drat flag once.

I'm convinced that Blizzard never/barely tested that mode, because an hour of playing it would have made it blindingly obvious how much busted unfun poo poo it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All MGS games are good.

Even the one that wants you to strap a brick of plastic to the front of your PSP and mash it against your face to play a card game in 3D?

yes i know acid or ac!d or whatever isn't actually a 'solid' entry

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm convinced that Blizzard never/barely tested that mode, because an hour of playing it would have made it blindingly obvious how much busted unfun poo poo it is.

People have been complaining about a lack of CTF in Overwatch for a long time. There's a theory that Blizzard introduced it as a seasonal event so people can see that it doesn't work for the game and hopefully they'll shut up once it's over. I lucked out and won 3-0 the first game I played, but I think that was on account of the other team being terrible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Even the one that wants you to strap a brick of plastic to the front of your PSP and mash it against your face to play a card game in 3D?

It was optional and also yes those games owned.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm convinced that Blizzard never/barely tested

Basically Overwatch.txt

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

AC!D was rad and the fact it's not available on the PSN is sad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

buddy, I do that with all my consoles

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

People have been complaining about a lack of CTF in Overwatch for a long time. There's a theory that Blizzard introduced it as a seasonal event so people can see that it doesn't work for the game and hopefully they'll shut up once it's over. I lucked out and won 3-0 the first game I played, but I think that was on account of the other team being terrible.

i think it's doable; the game borrows from tf2's template after all. it's just that i've never really seen any team i've played naturally coordinate their moves to make pushes. and the successful teams are the ones who realize they need to pick up their appropriate roles. everyone i've had to play with just wants to cap the flag but never defend theirs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Don't worry, when you do get the teams that wanna defend, the other team is built for it too, so the whole match becomes a long awful deadlock.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Action Tortoise posted:

i think it's doable; the game borrows from tf2's template after all. it's just that i've never really seen any team i've played naturally coordinate their moves to make pushes. and the successful teams are the ones who realize they need to pick up their appropriate roles. everyone i've had to play with just wants to cap the flag but never defend theirs.

CTF was pretty bad in TF2 as well, and it's even worse in overwatch because of the smaller team sizes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TF2 was the only game I played with fun CTF, but that was mostly just on turbine, the best map. It could get really bad on some other maps (2fort was infamous for a reason).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

TF2 was the only game I played with fun CTF, but that was mostly just on turbine, the best map. It could get really bad on some other maps (2fort was infamous for a reason).

Turbine is still fun. The biggest thing dragging down TF2 for me is the fact that the base game has been utterly buried under a mountain of hats, stupid crafting systems and class paradigm shifting weaponry. Any time I boot TF2 up anymore, I only look for basic weapon loadouts because fuuuuuck trying to deal with counters to the million different weapons each class has access to nowadays.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Digirat posted:

:agreed:

nightfall was ok and i ended up using most ctf maps as sniper training since it's pretty consistent where the front line was on every map.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Turbine is still fun. The biggest thing dragging down TF2 for me is the fact that the base game has been utterly buried under a mountain of hats, stupid crafting systems and class paradigm shifting weaponry. Any time I boot TF2 up anymore, I only look for basic weapon loadouts because fuuuuuck trying to deal with counters to the million different weapons each class has access to nowadays.

they rebalanced some of my favorite weapons. :( i miss the og soda popper.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

i think it's doable; the game borrows from tf2's template after all.
Capture the Flag maps were by far TF2's worst.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
CTF is fun as poo poo in overwatch. The maps seem to be just about right size wise, and I haven't seen a completely one sided match yet. That said, I haven't played a ton of it, and I've enjoyed CTF in basically every game that had it. I'm a defensive minded player, so just Junkratting around my teams flag is good enough for me. If it gets boring, I'll just go on the offensive.

Maybe it'll change the more I play it, but for right now i like it and i hope it stays around.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Digirat posted:

Turbine is a fun map but it feels like the fun part has little to do with it being CTF. If one of the teams is displaced from the centre by the other it devolves into an ungodly slog.

Doublecross is probably the best CTF map from the point of view of actually being a serious CTF map and not just a barely disguised death match map, but it suffers from the problem of being way too sniper friendly.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
gently caress it was doublecross I was thinking of. nightfall is a plr map.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I keep misreading nightfall as nightfire and remembering that great ski lodge map, which should be in all shooters

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Capture the Flag maps were by far TF2's worst.

imo any game mode with simultaneous multiple objectives is gonna be at constant deadlock. it's why I hated push maps with backcapping and plr. koth works for any game because the front line is always gonna be the objective.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Instagib lowgrav UT2004 is the only way to play CTF

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Quake 3 instagib freeze tag with the grapple hook is the best imo. Visor's taunt constantly and continously forever.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Resident Evil 7 is amazing buuuuuut

Holy poo poo the molded can gently caress off. One or two are fine, but holy loving poo poo, the basement has like 12 of them and I'm getting my poo poo kicked in. I can take out like 7 but then I'm out of ammo and just furiously slicing at them and blocking them. Once or twice I get VERY lucky and take them out in like 2 headshots, but sometimes the fuckers eat all my ammo in like two battles.

Holy gently caress, there was no loving need for that many of them in one small area.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Resident Evil 7 is amazing buuuuuut

Holy poo poo the molded can gently caress off. One or two are fine, but holy loving poo poo, the basement has like 12 of them and I'm getting my poo poo kicked in. I can take out like 7 but then I'm out of ammo and just furiously slicing at them and blocking them. Once or twice I get VERY lucky and take them out in like 2 headshots, but sometimes the fuckers eat all my ammo in like two battles.

Holy gently caress, there was no loving need for that many of them in one small area.

Leon woulda suplexed those bitches to death. :colbert:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
From the Res:7 thread in games, you apparently can impale them in the head with the knife if you put them on the ground by way of leg shot, conserving some handfuls of ammunition, apparently the hit box for it is a little wonky.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rimworld is great, and only getting better, but some things are just frustrating. Like your tech level - it never increases throughout the game, no matter what you do. I'm over here building a warp drive for a ship, I'm pretty sure my colonists are a bit above "neolithic".

I also wish there was more ways to interact with other factions - you can call them up, but your only options are to bribe them or ask for a caravan. I want more options, like convincing them to lower their reputation with a third faction, stuff like that. Or having unique options/dialog for when I call up a faction that just raided me unsuccessfully, or trying to goad enemies to attack. There's a ton that could be added, and while it's all extra little stuff, the inclusion of the basic comms system is so barebones that it kind of draws attention to itself for being a little undercooked.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
From my personal experience, Turbine was equally if not more lovely than 2Fort.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Enter the Gungeon. There's an NPC in the game that can give you a blessing. What this blessing does is make it so that on your next run, you only have one gun...which changes into new guns at random. It's a really fun way to play the game, but there's a gotcha. You need to spend currency to use it, and you can't get this currency while under the effect of the blessing. Just disable unlocks or something while under a blessing and let me play it for funsies, damnit!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Instagib lowgrav UT2004 is the only way to play CTF

You just reminded me how much fun I used to have playing round after round of instagib, low-grav, one frag last man standing matches in the Morpheus map in the original Unreal Tournament.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Professor Wayne posted:

I play Mercy a lot with friends who are often in the same physical room as me. "Hey guys, a Genji is attacking me. Please turn around, a Genji is attacking me. I'm dead, a Genji is about to kill you." Happens so much.

So why not play one of the other healers and kill Genji yourself then, scrub?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I have to pause every cutscene in mgs5 and alt tab to youtube to view it because loving cutscene counts for the time in mission rating. Time is literally the biggest factor to getting the best mission rating and it keeps running during cutscenes- da gently caress kojima

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kontradaz posted:

I have to pause every cutscene in mgs5 and alt tab to youtube to view it because loving cutscene counts for the time in mission rating. Time is literally the biggest factor to getting the best mission rating and it keeps running during cutscenes- da gently caress kojima

You aren't intended to get great ratings the first time through that's why you don't get the extra objectives revealed until after you finish the mission. Da gently caress is have fun and don't sperg out on the first play.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dragonball: Fusions seems to have a weird thing going where a good number of the female generic characters are referred to as male in their profiles (but still have the female symbol there). It seems to be exclusively women it happens to, I haven't seen the reverse so far.

I assume it's some sort of translation error (perhaps the Japanese script was using gender-neutral language or something), but it's real weird.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

Dragonball: Fusions seems to have a weird thing going where a good number of the female generic characters are referred to as male in their profiles (but still have the female symbol there). It seems to be exclusively women it happens to, I haven't seen the reverse so far.

I assume it's some sort of translation error (perhaps the Japanese script was using gender-neutral language or something), but it's real weird.

I'd say you're probably right. A lot of the time in bad translation jobs, the translators aren't actually given any context. They're just given a text dump and told to translate it. Odds are they never got to see that those text dumps were about a female character because they never got to see where the text was actually going to go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, DQ8 3Ds' Ui is going to take some getting used to.

Why can't I equip this shield? Oh, I have to move it from the bag to someone's actual personal inventory and then it can be equipped. Gotcha.

And still no skip cutscene button? Yikes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pokemon Sun and Moon

Why does Charjabug evolve on the last island?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Zahi posted:

So why not play one of the other healers and kill Genji yourself then, scrub?

I didn't know that was an option. Thanks for the ProTip!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly if you're not playing zenyatta you're playing the game wrong

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Kontradaz posted:

I got S ranks on most of the missions first time by doing Perfect Stealth, No Kills.

Turn Reflex Mode off; it's a crutch and the extra bonus for not having it on helps quite a lot towards those S ranks.

You can usually take as long as you need in a mission if you focus on perfect stealth. Or you can run and gun your way through it to try for the time bonus instead. But slow and perfect stealth is just as valid an option when it comes to S ranks.

I agree that time counting during cutscenes is dumb as gently caress, though. Might be because they're all in-engine? Still a dumb development oversight.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

dragging mgsv down is nexusmods not having enough naked quiet or horse genital mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Do you need more than one for each?