Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So.....in my whisper, O'leader, inquistor list I am debating something....drastically unusual.

99 points

PILOTS

The Inquisitor (30)
TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Juke (2), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

“Whisper” (43)
TIE Phantom (32), Hotshot Co-pilot (4), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Especially if Whisper fires first with Hot-Cop, Juke pays off. I haven't done the math fully, but I imagine the damage is worth it since Inquistor is always firing 3 reds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bunnyofdoom posted:

So.....in my whisper, O'leader, inquistor list I am debating something....drastically unusual.

99 points

PILOTS

The Inquisitor (30)
TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Juke (2), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

“Whisper” (43)
TIE Phantom (32), Hotshot Co-pilot (4), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Especially if Whisper fires first with Hot-Cop, Juke pays off. I haven't done the math fully, but I imagine the damage is worth it since Inquistor is always firing 3 reds.

If 'quiz ever gets shot at, you're going to really miss having that focus token.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Being in southern Indiana, I'm at the epicenter of several tournaments throughout the months.

They're all 3-4 hours away of course.

I personally have a hard time traveling more than an hour, but that's because I usually have a hard time planning ahead.

Also, what part o Southern Indiana? I'm in Louisville, and seeing a couple people post recently that seem close to my location brings hope that we can keep X-Wing strong around here.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

I personally have a hard time traveling more than an hour, but that's because I usually have a hard time planning ahead.

Also, what part o Southern Indiana? I'm in Louisville, and seeing a couple people post recently that seem close to my location brings hope that we can keep X-Wing strong around here.

Evansville, about 2-3 hours from Louisville. I'm in the penis of Indiana.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
I haven't played or bought any X-Wing since wave 6. Of all the stuff that's come out since then, what's worth prioritizing if I wanted to get back into this game?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Judging by your avatar? Imperial Veterans at the least.

Edit: Oh yeah. They released a new Starter Box with The Force Awakens ships. It comes with an updated Damage Deck which, while not necessary for casual play, is required for competitive tournaments.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 25, 2017

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Yeah, I tend to fly Imps or Scum, sometimes Rebs.

They fixed the Defender then?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Tacopocalypse posted:

Judging by your avatar? Imperial Veterans at the least.

Edit: Oh yeah. They released a new Starter Box with The Force Awakens ships. It comes with an updated Damage Deck which, while not necessary for casual play, is required for competitive tournaments.

No it's not. You can still run the old one.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Really? Huh.

Either way, Halverine, the new Damage Deck has more balanced crits, so still favorable to the old one if that's a big concern.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Halverine posted:

The new Defender titles make them Pretty Darn Good now, yeah.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Halverine posted:

Holy poo poo, did they ever. They're almost certainly the best ship in the game at the moment

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Holy poo poo, did they ever. They're almost certainly the best ship in the game at the moment

X-wings still look better. :colbert:

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

overdesigned posted:

The new Defender titles make them Pretty Darn Good now, yeah.

Awesome. Ordered the Veterans and the Force Awakens Core.

I'm a huge Maarek Stele fan from TIE Fighter on PC. Great to see him flying a Defender now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Halverine posted:

Short Answer yes

Long Answer: gently caress Yes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Strobe posted:

No it's not. You can still run the old one.

Oh wow, we can choose which DD to use at tournaments? :monocle:

I'm guessing whichever gets chosen is locked in for the day and can't be swapped out between matches since that would be dumb.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

Oh wow, we can choose which DD to use at tournaments? :monocle:

I'm guessing whichever gets chosen is locked in for the day and can't be swapped out between matches since that would be dumb.

Yes, that's true.

The old deck is superior if you're running a swarm of generics (like 3 of the crits do nothing to a naked TIE fighter) but the new deck is better for anything else

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Strobe, what are your thoughts on R7-T1 for Wedge? It sounds good on paper, if fairly situational.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
If I run a Kylo list, I'll be using the old deck so I can inflict Injured Pilot on some poor soul.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

If I run a Kylo list, I'll be using the old deck so I can inflict Injured Pilot on some poor soul.

You know you search their deck, right? Not yours.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

You know you search their deck, right? Not yours.

I don't think so. The wording is "the player who dealt it searches the damage deck". Why wouldn't I search my own?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Icon Of Sin posted:

Strobe, what are your thoughts on R7-T1 for Wedge? It sounds good on paper, if fairly situational.

It's situational in the sense that you can get its general effect with other upgrades. It's also fairly expensive for what it does, and the limit applied to it. I don't generally consider it worth it, but that's because it's so expensive. Yeah, you get boost, but it's a boost that is difficult to use and even more difficult to use and still shoot the same turn. Against a turret ship it is nigh useless.

I am biased, however, because I am very good at using the X-wing dial. If you have trouble with that part of it, it can be worth it. I think, generally speaking, BB-8 is a better way to get extra maneuverability out of the astromech slot, and Dutch is a better way to generate target locks with action economy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't think so. The wording is "the player who dealt it searches the damage deck". Why wouldn't I search my own?

It doesn't make any sense to search your own, but you're right, it doesn't seem to specify?

Huh.

Anyway found a picture of my FennZuckMan vs Thug Life from the regionals this last weekend.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Finster Dexter posted:

Gotta love FFG rules!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Strobe posted:

It's situational in the sense that you can get its general effect with other upgrades. It's also fairly expensive for what it does, and the limit applied to it. I don't generally consider it worth it, but that's because it's so expensive. Yeah, you get boost, but it's a boost that is difficult to use and even more difficult to use and still shoot the same turn. Against a turret ship it is nigh useless.

I am biased, however, because I am very good at using the X-wing dial. If you have trouble with that part of it, it can be worth it. I think, generally speaking, BB-8 is a better way to get extra maneuverability out of the astromech slot, and Dutch is a better way to generate target locks with action economy.

Yea I'm leaning towards BB-8 for him. As for his best wingman Wes, stressbot is borderline comical. I don't see myself switching that setup anytime soon.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea I'm leaning towards BB-8 for him. As for his best wingman Wes, stressbot is borderline comical. I don't see myself switching that setup anytime soon.

Stress Jansen is amazing and I love it. There is only one set-up that is better at using R3-A2, and it's more expensive.

Nien Nunb (29)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Snap Shot (2)

Do a red maneuver, still get to reposition, and if you end up in range 1 of somebody in front of you take no stress. When you take a range 1 shot, take no stress. Somebody flies in front of you at range 1, take a stressbot shot and take no stress. It basically makes a giant "Don't Fly Here" bubble in front of Nien that is absolutely hilarious.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think I posted my "going numb" list that was Biggs, ten, and Nien. Right?

Ten had Bistan and ion cannon. Nien had snap shot and stress bot and PA.

Basically one small ship didn't get to play Xwing that match

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I think I posted my "going numb" list that was Biggs, ten, and Nien. Right?

Ten had Bistan and ion cannon. Nien had snap shot and stress bot and PA.

Basically one small ship didn't get to play Xwing that match

Call it "Comfortably Numb" because neither Ten nor Nien ever need to get stressed to do that. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Call it "Comfortably Numb" because neither Ten nor Nien ever need to get stressed to do that. :v:

haha yesssssss

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Strobe posted:

:vince:

Nien is a fun one to start with. K-turned and fell in directly behind satan's partybus? No stress for you! R3-A2 belting out curses even R2 would shudder at? gently caress it, these earplugs are great!

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I might have to rethink my storage/transport solutions.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Friction posted:

I might have to rethink my storage/transport solutions.

I think those wings fold up, so you might be able to lay it on its back or something, not that it helps a ton. But yeah.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Got some help from Reddit on this.

From the Rules Reference:
If the players have more than one Damage deck, they should not shuffle them together. Instead, each player uses his own Damage deck and discard pile and does not assign his own Damage cards to any enemy ships.

And from the Tournament Rules:
When a player’s ship is dealt a Damage card, the card is taken from that player’s own Damage deck.

These two official rules indicate that you are always assigned damage cards from your own deck. Since Kylo's language makes no mention to the contrary we should follow the existing rules.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I like this on paper, was looking for that perfect wingman for Rey:

Rey 45
EU - 4
Title(HOTR) - 1
Expertise - 4
Finn - 5
Kanan - 3

Jan Ors -25
Vectored Thrusters - 2
Title - 3
Trick Shot - 0
TLT - 6
Nien Nunb -1

My idea was to go slow at first to let Jan bank some focus. Let Jan try to keep at a distance to get TLT shots. Let Rey stay up to range 3 of her so she gets the extra dice from Jan.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Jan is fragile as poo poo and a TLT will not save her from the likes of Fenn Rau or any thing that shoots four or more red dice.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Strobe posted:

Jan is fragile as poo poo and a TLT will not save her from the likes of Fenn Rau or any thing that shoots four or more red dice.

You are probably right. My other list was:

Rey
EU
Title
Expertise
Finn
Kanan

Norra Wexley
Title
Expertise
C-3P0
BB-8

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

I like this on paper, was looking for that perfect wingman for Rey:

Rey 45
EU - 4
Title(HOTR) - 1
Expertise - 4
Finn - 5
Kanan - 3

Jan Ors -25
Vectored Thrusters - 2
Title - 3
Trick Shot - 0
TLT - 6
Nien Nunb -1

My idea was to go slow at first to let Jan bank some focus. Let Jan try to keep at a distance to get TLT shots. Let Rey stay up to range 3 of her so she gets the extra dice from Jan.

I'd be the happiest person in earth if I were at a tournament and saw that opposite me on the table.

A 37-point HWK? Yes please. Rey with absolutely no defensive upgrades? Yes please.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I suffered against this list last weekend, due to bad choice of target priority.

Rey (45)
Expertise (4)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Finn (5)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Norra Wexley (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Ezra Bridger (3)
R2-D2 (4)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I screwed up because I got a great opportunity to pursue Rey and chased her around the board, avoiding her arc and doing big damage on Rey. Norra wasn't really relevant for most of the match, because I avoided giving her shots by blocking and arc dodging.
Then, welp, I had Norra left to deal with and not much left to use.

If I were to replay that match, I'd just kill the crap out of Norra in one or two turns and then handle Rey pretty easily with the rest of my list.

Dude did well that day, ended up 3-1 (though his victory over me was a very slight margin)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There was a Rey/Nora build in the cut at Plano. I don't remember the details, although I'm pretty sure it was a BB8/PTL variant on Nora.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Here's a thing about the ships seen high-level play that you may find interesting!

This is from ListJuggler so anything not on there obviously isn't counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I now sadly admit that I cannot play an entire 3+ round tournament on my Jojo mat. :negative: I will still keep it for practice games and taking pics but my eyes bleed around round 3.

• Locked thread